installation problem

Mehedi Hassan

Jun 21, 2015, 11:18:12 PM6/21/15
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I am totally new to scalaris database. I tried to install several times but i failed.Can anyone tell me briefly the installation process ? I tried to follow the official documentation but failed to do that.

Thanks in advance.
Mehedi

Florian Schintke

Jun 22, 2015, 4:03:43 AM6/22/15
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

would be good to know a bit more about your environment to give you further
advice.

Which operating system/Linux distribution do you want to use?

Do you tried to install from a git clone or from a prebuild package that we provide?

Which version of Scalaris were you trying (which package name)?

Which version of Erlang have you installed?

Is it a physical machine or a VM, a cluster, a globally distributed deployment?

What do you want to achieve? Run a single scalaris node, run several nodes on a
single machine, run several nodes across several machines? May firewalls or NAT
be an issue?

At which step do you failed? (Installation, configuration, initial startup,...)

Cheers,
Florian

[Mehedi Hassan]
> Hey,
> I am totally new to *scalaris *database. I tried to install several times

Mehedi Hassan

Jun 22, 2015, 2:35:49 PM6/22/15
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I need to just do some basic operation on scalaris.So i think I can run it directly from the source di-
rectory but dont know how.What does it mean ( Source directory )and how can i run that.

I am using Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).
I tried to install scalaris-0.7.2 from tar file.i am using my physical machine.I have installed erlang R15B02.
I need to run one simple node

Lat time i am not sure was it installed properly or not but it was not started( Message: Scalaris starting FAILED).I needto execute some basic command like databse creation,table creation,inserting and retrieving the data).

are there any options that i can just execute these basic command without install it.cause i need to do that within todays night.

Thanks in advance,
Mehedi

Best Regards,
Md.Istiak Mehedi
M.Sc. Student
Georg August University of Goettingen, Germany

Tel: +49 (0) 15166431215
E-mail:isme...@gmail.com
Skype:ismehedi

Florian Schintke

Jun 23, 2015, 5:17:04 AM6/23/15
to scal...@googlegroups.com

> Hey,
> I need to just do some basic operation on scalaris.So i think I can run it
> directly from the source directory but dont know how.What does it mean ( Source directory )and how can
> i run that.

see below...

> I am using Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).
> I tried to install scalaris-0.7.2 from tar file.i am using my physical
> machine.I have installed erlang R15B02.
> I need to run one simple node

You should try to run the following commands:
tar xzf scalaris-0.7.2.tar.gz
cd scalaris-0.7.2
./configure
make
./bin/scalarisctl checkinstallation
./bin/firstnode

the './bin/scalarisctl checkinstallation' may give you some hints what is wrong
in your environment, for example your hostname configuration.

The last command provides you with an erlang shell where you can interact with the scalaris node.
For example you can type:

api_tx:write("x", 100).

to store the value 100 at the key named x.
Then you can read it again using:

api_tx:read("x").
Which should result in: {ok,100}.

Florian