Lunch proposal: Physical Computing / Hardware

Chris Lowis

Mar 16, 2013, 4:43:14 AM3/16/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My favourite talk proposal (http://vestibule.rubymanor.org/proposals/57) didn't get selected, but would anyone like to have lunch to chat about physical computing, arduinos, raspberry pi's, little printers, MIDI and where Ruby fits into all of this?

If you're interested reply in this thread and I'll organise us a table somewhere to have lunch. We might even be able to squeeze in a couple of lightning talks :)

I'm going to say a limit of 10 people to keep it manageable/bookable, but on the off-chance that there's a lot more interest we can see what we can sort out.

Cheers!

Chris

Richard Livsey

Mar 17, 2013, 9:08:04 AM3/17/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Count me in.

I've not had a chance to play with any of this stuff yet, but very interested in getting started & what the possibilities are.

Cheers.

Paul Leader

Mar 18, 2013, 10:25:15 AM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Count me in. I was thinking of doing a RubyMotion one, but I think this would be more interesting.

James Adam

Mar 18, 2013, 10:46:08 AM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
On 18 Mar 2013, at 14:25, Paul Leader <pa...@paulleader.co.uk> wrote:

> Count me in. I was thinking of doing a RubyMotion one, but I think this would be more interesting.

There's no reason why you couldn't do both - the more BOF lunches the better, I'd say, and there's always plenty of time to chat in the pub.

- James

Frederick Cheung

Mar 18, 2013, 10:45:43 AM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see this. Hopefully the proposer is lurking somewhere!

Fred

On 18 Mar 2013, at 14:25, Paul Leader <pa...@paulleader.co.uk> wrote:

> --
> --
> http://rubymanor.org
> Group home: http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-manor?hl=en

Viktor Trón

Mar 18, 2013, 10:48:31 AM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

Anuj Dutta

Mar 18, 2013, 10:52:20 AM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hope I'm not too late to the party. I'm a proud owner or Arduino + Raspberry Pi, but I've never done anything with it. Would like to get involved.

Anuj

Ben Griffiths

Mar 18, 2013, 10:56:27 AM3/18/13
to The Guvner
Hope I'm not breaking some RubyManor Omerta by admitting to being the shadowy lurker behind the proposal.

Though, honestly, I don't know much about the topic beyond a few evenings of tinkering here and there.

I'd enjoy talking about this stuff over lunch. Count me in.

Paul Leader

Mar 18, 2013, 11:00:30 AM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Heh, at the moment I'm barely managing to organise my own life, let along organise anything else.

However if anyone with a bit of time, who's a tad closer to London (I'm in Bath) wants to organise it that would be great.

glenn....@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2013, 1:02:24 PM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in a RubyMotion one. If nobody else puts their hand up,
I can organize it (though I'm in San Francisco).
> --
> --
> http://rubymanor.org
> Group home: http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-manor?hl=en

Glenn

Chris Lowis

Mar 18, 2013, 1:20:16 PM3/18/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, March 18, 2013 5:02:24 PM UTC, glenn wrote:
I'm interested in a RubyMotion one. If nobody else puts their hand up,
I can organize it (though I'm in San Francisco).

Hi Glenn,

Could you start a new thread proposing this lunch topic, and keep track of the number of attendees? I think the only organisation to do per-se is the booking of a table somewhere for lunch, which I'm more than happy to help you with from London.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Lowis

Apr 1, 2013, 2:08:05 PM4/1/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lunchers!

I'm counting 6 people for lunch: Richard, Frederick, Viktor, Anuj, Ben and Myself.

Paul: Are you still interested given there's now a Ruby Motion lunch?

I think the Albany (http://www.thealbanyw1w.co.uk/) might be a nice spot, but if there's any other suggestions please let me know. If we'd like to lunch closer to the other groups, we might need to find a larger venue.

Unless I hear anything else, I'll book a table for 6 sometime mid-week, so please let me know if you'd like to join us or have a good idea for a venue.

Looking forward to it!

Chris

Paul Leader

Apr 2, 2013, 5:07:12 AM4/2/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hiya,

No, I'm going to attempt to arrange one around teaching ruby/rails etc.

Arranging them all at one venue would be nice if that's possible. I don't know that part of London at all so all suggestions for bigger venues are welcome :)

Paul

James Adam

Apr 2, 2013, 5:08:53 AM4/2/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
The easiest large venue to get everyone into will be Pizza Express, right be the venue. The Albany isn't small, but I don't know how big their tables get, or if they have many of them. Your best bet would be to call them, which I strongly recommend doing sooner rather than later! :)

- James

Challis

Apr 2, 2013, 5:22:05 AM4/2/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Could I add myself, plus another for lunch?

Cheers,

Adam.

Paul Leader

Apr 2, 2013, 5:31:13 AM4/2/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Ta James,

I'll book something first thing tomorrow morning then :)

--
Paul Leader

Alex Forey

Apr 2, 2013, 3:37:26 PM4/2/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
If I'm not too late, count me in. This sounds really interesting.

Alex Forey

Apr 2, 2013, 3:38:56 PM4/2/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Also, perhaps for one other friend?

Chris Lowis

Apr 3, 2013, 6:48:51 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

The group is then:

Frederick
Viktor
Anuj
Ben
Me
Adam +1
Alex +1

So that's 9 people. Unless I hear any objections or additions I'll book a table this afternoon for 10 (to be on the safe side) at 1pm at the Pizza Express.

Cheers!

Chris

Paul Bellamy

Apr 3, 2013, 6:49:48 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Too late to add one more?

Paul

Chris Lowis

Apr 3, 2013, 6:51:16 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Not at all, welcome onboard Paul!

Patrick Sinclair

Apr 3, 2013, 7:05:16 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to join you too - sorry for the late notice!

Patrick

Graham Ashton

Apr 3, 2013, 7:05:34 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I'll join you too if that's alright. I was down for the teaching one, but I'm very interested in both and the teaching one is looking rather busy...

Aleksandar Simic

Apr 3, 2013, 7:18:25 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'd like to join, if possible.

Thanks,
Alex

Chris Lowis

Apr 3, 2013, 8:28:03 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Excellent - Welcome Alex, Graham and Patrick!

I've booked a table for 14 under my name at the Pizza Express on Saturday. I'll see if we can pre-order/pre-pay for our food and sort that out before Saturday.

Cheers!

Chris

Paul Leader

Apr 3, 2013, 8:33:36 AM4/3/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Graham,

Just noticed your message, I'll remove you from the Teaching lunch list.

However as we're all at Pizza Express I'll probably see you there anyway :)

--
Paul Leader

Stuart Gale

Apr 4, 2013, 11:03:52 AM4/4/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
More apologies for the late notice, I've only just joined the group...

I'd like to come along to this lunch if you have the space/patience for latecomers :)

Cheers,
Stuart

Chris Lowis

Apr 5, 2013, 3:10:31 AM4/5/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

To make things a bit quicker tomorrow, given that there's only a short time for lunch and a lot of Rubyists heading to the Pizza express, it might be worth pre-ordering. Here's the menu

And here's a spreadsheet for your choices:

Could you fill that in for me before 10am tomorrow, and I'll take it across to the pizza express before lunch.

Cheers!

Chris

Frederick Cheung

Apr 5, 2013, 3:52:12 AM4/5/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'm being thick but the spreadsheet seems to have been shared as readonly,

Fred

Chris Lowis

Apr 5, 2013, 4:48:19 AM4/5/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Apologies, that's now fixed. Should have had a coffee first,

Chris

Chris Lowis

Apr 5, 2013, 6:21:11 AM4/5/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I also missed Paul and Patrick off the list. You're there now :)

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Hooks

Apr 5, 2013, 11:09:56 AM4/5/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Can I sneak in at the last minute? Or am I too late?

Chris

Chris Lowis

Apr 6, 2013, 2:37:36 AM4/6/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
> Can I sneak in at the last minute? Or am I too late?

I've put the food order in already, but if you'd like to come along,
no problem, we'll see if the pizza express can squeeze another seat at
the table!

Cheers,

Chris