2013 Study Group

Janet Riley

Feb 4, 2013, 7:21:55 PM2/4/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, folks-

Things have been pretty quiet here. Would anyone like to do another study group iteration?

We could:
* work through a tutorial, as before;
* work through the intermediate RailsBridge curriculum at http://project-night.bostonrb.org/
* implement a shared project

What are you interested in doing?

If you participated in an earlier iteration, what did you find helped make the group work well?

See you at project night-
Janet

Liana Leahy

Feb 6, 2013, 10:54:42 AM2/6/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janet,

Sorry I couldn't make it to last night's project night.  But I am interested in reviving the group in the Spring.  The challenge has always been to find a location to meet that is T accessible.

As much as I think it's important that folks attend Project Night and Ruby Group meetings (I'll be there this month for sure) with the rest of the community, I think our own meetup is a nice alternative too.

Best,
Liana

Ruth

Mar 12, 2013, 9:31:47 PM3/12/13
to Ruby on Rails Study Group for Women Boston
Hello everyone,

Do we need to do something so that the old content shows up in the new
Google Group format? I can see the list of posts, but nothing once I
open them.
If someone can explain/show, I can do the work to convert, etc.

Yes, I would be interested in coming to this group again.

Are the project nights part of boston.rb?

Thanks,
Ruth

On Feb 6, 11:54 am, Liana Leahy <lianale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Janet,
>
> Sorry I couldn't make it to last night's project night.  But I am interested in reviving the group in the Spring.  The challenge has always been to find a location to meet that is T accessible.
>
> As much as I think it's important that folks attend Project Night and Ruby Group meetings (I'll be there this month for sure) with the rest of the community, I think our own meetup is a nice alternative too.
>
> Best,
> Liana
>
> On Feb 4, 2013, at 7:21 PM, Janet Riley wrote:
>

> > Hello, folks-
>
> > Things have been pretty quiet here. Would anyone like to do another study group iteration?
>
> > We could:
> > * work through a tutorial, as before;
> > * work through the intermediate RailsBridge curriculum athttp://project-night.bostonrb.org/

Melissa Xie

Jun 5, 2013, 9:22:09 AM6/5/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I had just met Liana last night and she was telling me about this group! Through another mailing list, I was trying to gather interest for some sort of get-together later this month. Nothing particularly formal, but I just wanted to meet some other women in tech in the Boston area. I'm not sure if I should be posting a new thread about this, but would anyone in this group be interested?

-- Melissa
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ror-studygroup-for-women-boston+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Liana

Jun 6, 2013, 12:03:20 PM6/6/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

It seems like the planets are aligning and there has been some interest in renewing this group.  Thanks for getting the ball rolling Melissa!

I work in much more sane environment these days that would allow me to organize another women's study group if there is any interest.  My company MeYouHealth has stepped forward and offered their conference room on Tuesday nights as a place to meet.

Since we now have Project Night as well as the main Ruby Group meetups run by Boston.rb every month, I'd like to keep this a women-only event.  But I'm happy to discuss the possibility of a gender friendly group.

Firstly, we should decide the goals for the group.  Janet brought up some good ideas.  And I have a lot to say on the topic.  So let's get together to meet one another and chat about it.

Please email this list or contact me directly at li...@liana.org if you are interested in renewing the group.

Best,
Liana

Janet Riley

Jun 9, 2013, 11:18:35 AM6/9/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I'd love to meet up.  Liana, you threw out the 25th as a possibility.

Here's what's on my Ruby radar right now:

* I picked up a copy of   Practical OO Design in Ruby  by Sandi Metz after listening to an interview on Ruby Rogues
(http://rubyrogues.com/087-rr-book-clubpractical-object-oriented-design-in-ruby-with-sandi-metz/) .  It was a good episode, and I recommend it even if you don't read the book. Sandi is keynoting at Wicked Good Ruby Conf this fall.  If I go to the conference, I want to read it first.

* I started to read Service Oriented Design with Ruby and Rails by Paul Dix.   It too got put down and forgotten.

* Sinatra seems like a better focus for me right now than Rails.  I started a new job in March that doesn't use rails, and everything I learned has faded away in the face of javascript and Spring.  Sinatra removes some complexity, but still gives me a Ruby workout.  Also, the projects I thought of doing aren't CRUD-dy.

* I'm going to Burlington Ruby at the beginning of August.  I have to ramp back up enough to get something out of it.

So I'd be happy to do a book group or an accountability buddy on any of those.

I might be up for a shared project.  Have you seen the CodeRaising.org project that Dan Choi was organizing?  There's a bit more details on the github readme at http://github.com/CodeRaising/coderaising.  This paired up mentors and mentees to work on an open source project.

This seemed like it had some advantages over my last attempt at a study group.  First, it simplifies defining a project, a hurdle we could never get past.  Second, CodeRaising had  experienced people involved.  My last group was all beginners, and we really didn't have any direction.  It would have worked better with at least one person a little farther down the trail.   Perhaps someone's favorite project would make a good candidate for group work.

What are your thoughts?
Janet

Melissa Xie

Aug 17, 2013, 2:44:26 PM8/17/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
It's been a while since we last discussed the possibility of reviving this group and I would love to follow up on it now.

I'm not sure as to how this group functioned before, but here is what I'm looking for:
* a time/place to practice or give talks
* get help or help others with Ruby, Rails, talk proposals, whatever
* a friendly, comfortable environment/community for the female gender, especially for those who are new

I don't think it's particularly important for us to always have a planned agenda like the Boston.rb Meetup and project nights do. Honestly, I'd be happy just to hang out and get to know other Ruby women in the area.

If everything I've mentioned so far is basically what everyone here is also looking for, then let's just do this.

How about every 4th Tuesday of the month at 7? Location to be determined (though Liana mentioned the possibility of some space at her workplace?).

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

-- Melissa

Liana Leahy

Aug 17, 2013, 6:44:21 PM8/17/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com, ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Works for me. MeYouHealth is happy to offer space. -liana

Sent from my iPhone

Louise Rains

Aug 17, 2013, 7:43:41 PM8/17/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Where is MeYouHealth located?

Louise

Liana Leahy

Aug 18, 2013, 12:22:49 PM8/18/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
MeYouHealth is located in the South End at 1 Appleton Street. The closest T stations are Back Bay (orange) and Boylston (green).

Louise Rains

Aug 18, 2013, 1:47:41 PM8/18/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com, ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
I can come - I've got some new projects I'm working on in rails 4

Louise

Sent from my iPhone

Liana Leahy

Aug 18, 2013, 1:59:17 PM8/18/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
I really like the idea of a) hanging out and getting to know each other and I'm also really excited about b) encouraging each other to practice giving talks. We could start with lightening talks since a 5 minute presentation is easy and quick to put together and can be easily expanded.

I find the idea of a quick talk a lot less intimidating than trying to come up with material for a topic for 20-40 minutes. In addition, since we're only practicing amongst ourselves there's no pressure about choosing subject material.

Shall we start this Aug 22nd? or maybe try to get the word out and start on the 28th?

Best,
Liana

Melissa Xie

Aug 19, 2013, 8:26:39 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com

Lightning talks sound like a great idea! I've heard you gave a great one at the last Boston.rb! :)

It's a bit of a short notice, so I'm not expecting a huge turnout but let's aim for Tuesday, August 27th at 7 (or is 6:30 better?) this time. We can get the word out in the Boston RB list, Twitter, etc.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails Study Group for Women Boston" group.

Louise Rains

Aug 19, 2013, 9:05:08 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer 6:30, but I'm already in the Back Bay area.  It might not work for anyone who has to do any traveling.

Louise

Melissa Xie

Aug 19, 2013, 10:32:32 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, cool. I think a little earlier is generally better anyway, so yeah, we can plan for 6:30 if everyone's cool with that.

Also, how do we want to get this set up? Should we set up a Meetup group? Twitter account? And any objects to shortening the group name to something like "Boston Ruby Women"?

-- Melissa

Galia Traub

Aug 19, 2013, 10:56:06 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Tuesday Aug 27 works well for me. Once details are confirmed, I'd be happy to let  Pyladies Boston know about the event. I know there are some Rubyists among their ranks.

~Galia

~Galia

Liana Leahy

Aug 19, 2013, 11:15:58 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Just got the official green light from MeYouHealth to host with a pizza budget.  W00t.

Boston Ruby Women works for me!  How about we just meetup and talk about what we want it to be?

Best,
Liana

Melissa Xie

Aug 19, 2013, 11:22:19 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
That all sounds absolutely perfect Liana! And thanks for having your company host!

If we'd just like to meet up and not make things too official yet, how should we spread the word for now? Maybe personally invite people first?

-- Melissa

Liana Leahy

Aug 19, 2013, 11:34:40 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for however ya'all want to handle it, but I do think that our first meeting should perhaps be focused among women who are interested in helping support the group.

I spoke to @cczona at the Burlington Ruby Conference.  She has some great pointers about starting a group in her "Handcrafting Community" talk, slides here: http://www.slideshare.net/cczona/handcrafting-community

And then we can spread the word far and wide for September.  Just my 0.02 cents.

-Liana

Josée Poirier

Aug 19, 2013, 11:38:27 AM8/19/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm a RoR newbie (took the Railsbridge workshop in June) and work with Liana. I look forward to seeing you all on the 27th at our office!

Best,
Josée

Janet Riley

Aug 20, 2013, 9:18:10 AM8/20/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
See you on the 27th!
Janet

Jennifer Morton

Aug 23, 2013, 12:31:22 PM8/23/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all! I'm one of the PyLadies (Rubyist by day) and I'll be at the meeting on Tuesday. I also talked to my company (Visible Measures) and they would be very interested in sponsoring this group (possibly hosting). I'm super excited!

Jennifer

~Galia

Melissa Xie

Aug 23, 2013, 1:04:23 PM8/23/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Nice to meet you Jennifer!

I think we're all set on a location for Tuesday, but depending on future plans, we could have it at Visible Measures some time!

Excited to see you all Tuesday!

-- Melissa

Louise Rains

Aug 23, 2013, 1:32:21 PM8/23/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
What time did we finally settle on?

Louise

Melissa Xie

Aug 23, 2013, 1:55:03 PM8/23/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
To summarize:

Tuesday, August 27th @ 6:30pm
MeYouHealth, 1 Appleton Street, Boston, MA
Pizza will be served.

Liana - let us know if there are any special instructions for getting in!

-- Melissa

Liana Leahy

Aug 23, 2013, 2:00:13 PM8/23/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
After 7pm, the doors lock so you can text me at (617) 620-6596 to be let in.  I'll put a note on the door.

Looking forward to seeing all of you on Thursday.

Best,
Liana

Melissa Xie

Aug 27, 2013, 12:45:05 AM8/27/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that we're meeting tonight (or tomorrow night depending on when you're reading this)! Excited to meet some of you!

Liana Leahy

Aug 27, 2013, 2:34:11 PM8/27/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to seeing you all.  When you reach MYH, please text me at (617) 620-6596 so that I can open the door for you downstairs.

See you at 6:30!

Best,
Liana

Louise Rains

Aug 27, 2013, 3:00:58 PM8/27/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
I'm home sick with a nasty cold and cough, so I'm not going to make it, much to my dismay.  Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
Louise

Liana Leahy

Aug 27, 2013, 3:53:49 PM8/27/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE:  I'm free to give out the door code.  Please type 9758 into the keypad downstairs to enter the building.

We'll have pizza and drinks at 6:30.

See you then,
Liana

Melissa Xie

Aug 28, 2013, 11:07:48 AM8/28/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone!

I'm so glad that I got to meet some of you last night to chat about the revival of the group! Also, thank you to Liana getting us space at MeYouHealth for it!

It seems to me that we definitely want to bring the group back but we're not quite ready to just expose ourselves to *everyone* yet. However, I think we decided on the following:

* Meet once a month (every 4th Tuesday of the month?).
* We want to do presentations, whether we're producing the content ourselves or inviting someone to speak.
* The talks do not have to be technical.
* We'd like to be able to get companies/organizations to somehow sponsor women to go to conferences like WickedGoodRuby.
* Encourage mentorships, mostly for career guidance and maybe some technical.

So for the next meeting, let's plan to:
1) Have a bunch of lightning talks! It can be about anything! We just want people to get to know each other and practicing speaking in front of an audience.
2) Spend 2nd half of the time just socializing - maybe drinks, maybe work on projects, who knows!

How does Tuesday, September 24th at 6:30pm sound?

Oh, and feel free to add anything else I might've missed!

-- Melissa

Galia

Aug 30, 2013, 9:17:33 PM8/30/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com, ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
I am already booked for that Tuesday (Bryan Cranston is in a play at the ART), but I'll be at Project night and the monthly talk. I hope to see some of you there!

 I am very excited for this group!

Sent from my iPhone

Melissa Xie

Sep 9, 2013, 9:13:04 PM9/9/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all -

Just wanted to let you know that I've gotten the OK to hold future meetings at the thoughtbot office downtown if we need more space. I'm pretty indifferent about where we meet for at least the next one (the 24th!) - MeYou Health (assuming we do have this option again) or thoughtbot.

Let me/Liana know!

-- Melissa

Liana Leahy

Sep 9, 2013, 10:42:50 PM9/9/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Happy to have you all over to MeYouHealth again.  We do have a conference room for groups under 20, but as we grow we will likely need a larger space.  Best, Liana

Melissa Xie

Sep 11, 2013, 8:37:53 PM9/11/13
to ror-studygroup-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, then let's plan to meet at MeYou Health again on the 24th. See you all then!

-- Melissa