settle.network

Giovanni P

Feb 21, 2017, 3:48:17 PM2/21/17
to rippleusers
Has anyone seen this[1]? It's some personal project that implements the Ripple decentralized protocol without commits, in a way that I've been thinking for a long time that would work (everyone is subject to lose money in the amount of their trust -- if the trusted party is a bad agent), with assets hosted on federated nodes.

They have a hidden Google Group[2].

Ryan Fugger

Feb 21, 2017, 3:57:52 PM2/21/17
to Ripple Project
Cool!  I love how this concept is getting implemented all over the place :)

Stanislas Polu

Feb 22, 2017, 11:40:18 PM2/22/17
to Ripple Project, fia...@gmail.com
Hi there!

I'm the author of settle.network. Happy to answer any question you might have, but also happy to hear feedback on the project.

Cheers.

-stan

Ryan Fugger

Feb 22, 2017, 11:45:07 PM2/22/17
to Ripple Project, fia...@gmail.com
Looks cool Stan.  Check out https://interledger.org/ if you haven't already.

Steven, there are people already doing that with Interledger (simple IOU ledgers between people):

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-interledger/2016Nov/0032.html
https://github.com/interledgerjs/ilp-kit/wiki

Gustav

Jan 18, 2018, 12:49:16 PM1/18/18
to Ripple Project
Hi Stan looks like a cool project. How would you deal with the dependency that nodes have to be online in such a system?

Currently that has been one of our choices for implementing Ryan's original ripple idea on Ethereum // trustlines.network, but as you mention in your intro post this of course also comes with ETH dependency trade-offs and current limited scalability.

Best

Gustav

Stanislas Polu

Jan 20, 2018, 5:54:03 AM1/20/18
to rippl...@googlegroups.com
You mean it has been your choice to back yourself with a blockchain to allow offline operations?

I don’t see the online requirement as too much of an issue as people would use mints as they use email servers. It opens the possibility of some forms of centeralization (GMail) but it does not require it and let users decide of what suits best for them.

Does that make sense?

-stan