Java 8 Dependency

James Cook

Nov 12, 2016, 8:10:10 AM11/12/16
to RingoJS
One of the advantages we often discuss is the ability of Ringo to run on older stacks, but I read in the release notes that Java 8 is a requirement now. Is there specific code that has been added that requires Java 8 at runtime, or is the comment in regards to only building Ringo? I see NIO.2 in the changelog. Is that the reason for dropping support for older runtimes?

Philipp Naderer

Nov 12, 2016, 3:38:47 PM11/12/16
to rin...@googlegroups.com
The main reason was to drop the JNR dependency using direct POSIX calls. We removed JRuby's jaffl, jnr-posix and jiffi and replaced them with NIO.2 classes and methods. Here are the related links:

Ringo runs with Java 6 and 7 if you don't use the fs modules, e.g. App Engine supports only Java 7, but most of the fs stuff is not in the class whitelist.

Bye,
Philipp

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM, James Cook <jc...@transcordia.com> wrote:
One of the advantages we often discuss is the ability of Ringo to run on older stacks, but I read in the release notes that Java 8 is a requirement now. Is there specific code that has been added that requires Java 8 at runtime, or is the comment in regards to only building Ringo? I see NIO.2 in the changelog. Is that the reason for dropping support for older runtimes?

James Cook

Nov 12, 2016, 3:43:16 PM11/12/16
to rin...@googlegroups.com
Great information Philipp. I saw the removal of the dependencies which was nice. I never knew they were tied to the fs module.

Perhaps we could move them to a fs-legacy package for those people who need to run on pre-jdk8?
On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 3:38 PM Philipp Naderer <philipp...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Philipp Naderer

Nov 13, 2016, 4:31:30 AM11/13/16
to rin...@googlegroups.com
Agree. I already thought about putting the old fs module back as arbitrary package including the JNR JARs as fixed dependencies.

We already have done this for other stuff:

Bye,
Philipp

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 9:43 PM, James Cook <jc...@transcordia.com> wrote:
[...]

Philipp Naderer

Nov 13, 2016, 2:34:30 PM11/13/16
to rin...@googlegroups.com
The old fs module is now available as "posix-fs":

Bye,
Philipp

James Cook

Nov 13, 2016, 4:52:06 PM11/13/16