Having trouble setting up a GitHub (Private Organization) repository

Dan Z

Apr 15, 2012, 1:45:19 AM4/15/12
to reviewboard
Hi,

The admin screen for setting up a GitHub (Private Organization)
repository requires "Your GitHub API token." There's a link to the
page at GitHub where this token can be found -- except that the token
isn't there. (The page name has even changed a little.) I can't figure
out why the token isn't there -- except for this hint on the GitHub
Blog: "We will terminate API v1 and API v2 in 1 month on May 1st,
2012."

My first question is: does ReviewBoard use either the v1 or v2 GitHub
API, or has it been updated to v3?

Second question: Is it possible that GitHub has removed the API Token
in preparation for this change? If so, that sort of answers my first
question, since ther repository setup page on ReviewBoard is asking
for an API Token.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give.

Best,
Dan

Christian Hammond

Apr 15, 2012, 3:31:44 AM4/15/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, it is possible. I'll contact them and see if I can find out. I'm working on plans for moving to API v3,  but I'm greatly concerned about the timing, as I'm not confident we'll get that in by then.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

--
Want to help the Review Board project? Donate today at http://www.reviewboard.org/donate/

Christian Hammond

Apr 15, 2012, 1:51:24 PM4/15/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Okay, so here's the situation.

I talked to GitHub and they're indeed switching to the new API, which we are not yet using. My plan was to move to this in a 1.7.x release, but that's too far off. Fortunately, I had some detailed plans worked out, so I'll be spending some time on putting this into 1.6.6. I already have a good amount of code from last night put toward this.

I've requested that GitHub list the API token somewhere until the removal, and asked for a time extension (possibly just on the API we need). So, we'll see if that's doable. If not, I'll do what I can to make this all work before May 1st, but at the moment there's no way I can tell to get the API token, unless they bring that back. They were very responsive and understanding about all this, so I think we can work something out.

Will keep everyone updated on this.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Dan Z

Apr 17, 2012, 1:03:09 PM4/17/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
I finally got a response from GitHub. Here is it:

"The API Token has been removed. We encourage all third  party applications to migrate to API v3. Please check our latest blog post for more details: https://github.com/blog/1090-github-api-moving-on"

Pretty much, they've said, "We're shutting down the v1 and v2 APIs on May 1. Oh, and if you don't already have an API Token, then I guess for you, the APIs are shut down now." Brilliant.

-- Dan

Christian Hammond

Apr 17, 2012, 1:33:23 PM4/17/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com, revie...@googlegroups.com
They've been nice enough to give Review Board an extension on the one API call we use, and are working on making the API token accessible somewhere until then. Said it may be a couple days.

In the meantime, I'm making progress on v3 support, which will also come with a much easier repository setup process.

Christian

Can Özmen

May 2, 2012, 1:03:04 PM5/2/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian & Dan,

I'm on 1.6.6 and trying to set up a Private Org. Repo on Github.

I've got an API token via the web interface. I've generated a key pair and uploaded the public part as a deploy key to the repo I want to connect to ((RB asked me to confirm the host afterwards)).

But I'm getting the 'a repository was not found at the specified path.' error.

In what format should I fill in the 'Project Name:' field and what logs should I check for more info.

Thanks,
Can.

Christian Hammond

May 2, 2012, 2:34:06 PM5/2/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com, revie...@googlegroups.com
The Project Name is the "foo" in "foo.git". The owner field would be the account owning the repo. So, github.com/foo/bar.git would use "foo" as the owner and "bar" as the project.

Christian

Can Özmen

May 4, 2012, 3:11:47 AM5/4/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
But in the case of a private org that would make 'foo' the owner, which is the name of the organization.

Then the 'Get your API Token' part asks for foo's password, which doesn't make sense since 'foo' is not an account that I can log-in with.

--
Can Özmen

Christian Hammond

May 4, 2012, 4:10:26 AM5/4/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Try setting your own username as the hosting owner before getting the token, and then switching to the organization after.

We'll be deploying a version soon that switches to the new API.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Can Özmen

May 4, 2012, 4:24:10 AM5/4/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
I'm still getting the 'a repo was not found' error.

Here's a screenshot showing how I fill the fields.

Any other gotchas that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Can.
-end-
Can Ozmen
________________________

http://www.kralcan.org
http://posts.kralcan.org
reviewboard-repoadd.PNG

Christian Hammond

May 4, 2012, 4:51:23 AM5/4/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Do you have an SSH key configured and linked on that account? That could do it.

If you check the Review Board log file, there may be more information.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Can Özmen

May 4, 2012, 7:29:13 AM5/4/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
I first tried adding the SSH key to my GitHub account and then as a deploy key to the private repo's account.

Both fail with the same message:

2012-05-04 14:24:39,977 - DEBUG - Switch to new keys ...
2012-05-04 14:24:39,983 - DEBUG - Trying SSH key 3e2bacb616553a8258f03dc1b70f3a9c
2012-05-04 14:24:40,204 - DEBUG - userauth is OK
2012-05-04 14:24:40,818 - INFO - Authentication (publickey) successful!
2012-05-04 14:24:40,912 - DEBUG - EOF in transport thread
2012-05-04 14:24:40,936 - ERROR - Git: Failed to find valid repository ssh://g...@github.com/PhonoClick/Pesto.git: error: cannot run rbssh: No such file or directory
fatal: unable to fork

--
Can Özmen

Christian Hammond

May 4, 2012, 1:56:25 PM5/4/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com, revie...@googlegroups.com
How did you install Review Board? Looks like either a broken install or maybe some tightened security disallowing it from running executables?

Christian

Can Özmen

May 4, 2012, 6:41:43 PM5/4/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
I'm on an EC2 instance that I got up through Bitnami. I then upgraded to 1.6.6 ((was on 1.6.5 originally)) with help from victoria.

For example the default site's log folder wasn't writeable after the upgrade so maybe some permissions are not set correctly.

Is there any way to check that?

--
Can Özmen

Wei Dai

Jul 26, 2013, 3:37:06 PM7/26/13
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hello, did you eventually figure out this problem? I also have exactly the same error log messages. Thanks!

Dai Wei

Christian Hammond

Jul 29, 2013, 12:35:23 AM7/29/13
to revie...@googlegroups.com
How did you install Review Board exactly?

What OS/distro?

Any special web server or virtualenv setup?

If it's exactly the same error (please paste yours) then the PATH isn't set up to find the rbssh that was installed when installing Review Board.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com

---

Wei Dai

Jul 29, 2013, 11:06:08 AM7/29/13
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for the hint! Yes I never realized that it's the rbssh path. For some reason it's in /usr/local/bin but not in /usr/bin.  sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/rbssh /usr/bin/rbssh did the trick. Thank you again!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "reviewboard" group.

Dai Wei
Engineering Intern 2013 Summer