rb-site upgrade fails with whoosh 2.5.7 on RHEL7/OL7

Vlad S.

Apr 30, 2016, 4:54:23 PM4/30/16
to reviewboard
Hi, upgrading 2.5.3 -> 2.5.4 on RHEL7 fails:

# rb-site upgrade /var/www/rb.site.internal

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/rb-site", line 5, in <module>

from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/distribute-0.6.19-py2.7.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2713, in <module>

parse_requirements(__requires__), Environment()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/distribute-0.6.19-py2.7.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 584, in resolve

raise DistributionNotFound(req)

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: Whoosh>=2.6

# rpm -qa|grep -i whoosh

python-whoosh-2.5.7-4.el7.noarch

# rpm -qa|grep -i reviewboard

ReviewBoard-2.5.4-1.el7.noarch

RHEL7 (epel) has no whoosh 2.6+ and ReviewBoard does not requires exactly this version.. Shall I just fix ReviewBoard /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ReviewBoard-2.5.4-py2.7.egg-info/requires.txt to pass the rb-site upgrade?

Christian Hammond

Apr 30, 2016, 5:48:26 PM4/30/16
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vlad,

I can't speak for the RPMs, but Review Board itself requires Whoosh 2.6+. There are bugs in prior versions that impact Review Board, so while you may be able to change the dependencies, I can't guarantee it'll fully work as expected.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond
President/CEO of Beanbag

--
Supercharge your Review Board with Power Pack: https://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/
Want us to host Review Board for you? Check out RBCommons: https://rbcommons.com/

Vlad

Apr 30, 2016, 7:01:32 PM4/30/16
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

Would this hack affect only Search (Indexed search) function of ReviewBoard? Search is not configured by default, so this
is not a strict dependency as I understand. Am I correct?

I am not sure why RHEL7 has no whoosh update, so I did not install whoosh with pip.

/v

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "reviewboard" group.

Stephen Gallagher

May 1, 2016, 6:58:41 PM5/1/16
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Vlad, that's my fault. I didn't notice the upgraded requirement. I'm going to try to get Whoosh updates in EPEL7 on Monday (once I talk to the maintainer of that package to figure out if they held it to the older version intentionally).

Vlad

May 1, 2016, 7:11:35 PM5/1/16
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the reply. Also there is another issue with "mimeparse>=0.1.3" requirement. Somehow it works only once changed to "python-mimeparse>=0.1.3". RHEL has proper 0.1.4 version though another package name.

I tried to contact python-whoosh rpm maintainer and got email error:

rku...@mail.corp.redhat.com
    (reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)
    (expanded from: <rku...@redhat.com>)
..

It might be he left Redhat and does not maintain the rpm anymore. I tried to build newer rpm just by replacing Version to 2.7.4 in .spec file and new sources. It builds ok. Not sure how to promote the spec file change.

/v

Stephen Gallagher

May 1, 2016, 7:15:06 PM5/1/16
to revie...@googlegroups.com
I thought I had fixed the mime parse thing already. I'll correct that when I fix up the whoosh thing tomorrow.

I'm a comaintainer of Whoosh on the other branches, so I can push the updated version. I just wanted to check with the other maintainers in case there was a compatibility break I need to be aware of.

Stephen Gallagher

May 2, 2016, 9:34:38 AM5/2/16
to revie...@googlegroups.com
I've just submitted a corrected version of Review Board to the epel-testing repository:

Please test it and provide it with positive or negative feedback (karma). That will get it into the stable release faster. (note: the reason this happened is that I made a mistake rebasing the patch for the dependencies and no one ever tested the update, so it went stable after the timeout period. Please help test this one!)

Vlad

May 2, 2016, 6:47:25 PM5/2/16
to revie...@googlegroups.com

Thanx! I will be able to test and report on May 4.

/v

Vlad S.

May 4, 2016, 7:42:38 PM5/4/16
to reviewboard
Sorry, haven't had chance to test it today. Hope to do it later this week.

Vlad S.

May 7, 2016, 2:52:09 AM5/7/16
to reviewboard
Tested OK. Added +1 Karma. Thanx!