Bally Dolly Parton AS-2518-50 sound board very quiet

Corey C.

Nov 18, 2010, 3:16:04 PM11/18/10
Forgive me for asking this question before doing any research, but I'm
trying to solve the problem as quickly as possible.

The sound from the Dolly Parton I'm working on is very quiet even when
the volume pot on the sound board is cranked. The pot works... I can
adjust the volume... but it's simply not loud enough at all.

My initial thought was to replace the headers and repin the
connectors. Beyond that, I figured I'd change the amp IC (what type of
chip is that? I can't recall) and the caps, but I want to be sure
before I go ahead with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

Player Pinballs

Nov 18, 2010, 3:30:03 PM11/18/10
Just fixed a similar problem on a Space Invaders board by replacing Op
Amp: LM3900

David Gersic

Nov 19, 2010, 12:42:44 AM11/19/10
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:16:04 -0800 (PST), Corey C. <solidsta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive me for asking this question before doing any research, but I'm
> trying to solve the problem as quickly as possible.
>
> The sound from the Dolly Parton I'm working on is very quiet even when
> the volume pot on the sound board is cranked. The pot works... I can
> adjust the volume... but it's simply not loud enough at all.

You might want to do some research. I just fixed a similar problem
not too long ago on a Playboy.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| If guys were suppose to hang clothes up, door knobs would be bigger. |

Corey C.

Nov 19, 2010, 9:11:32 AM11/19/10
What was the solution you employed on the Playboy?

On Nov 19, 12:42 am, David Gersic <usenet_spam_t...@zaccaria-

seymour.shabow

Nov 19, 2010, 10:04:35 AM11/19/10

Corey C.

Dec 22, 2010, 10:10:41 PM12/22/10
As a follow-up to this, I've replaced the two op amp IC's and the
electrolytics, yet the problem with quiet sound persists.

I've noticed that the board in the game is actually an AS-2518-32
although the schematic in the manual is for a -50 sound board. Since
this is the first sound board issue I've ever encountered on a pre-
Squawk & Talk Bally, I'm going to assume that the -32 and -50 boards
are relatively cross-compatible. However, I've gotta ask... are they?
I suppose it's possible that someone swapped the boards at some point.
Thoughts?

Any further advice on getting this board up and running properly would
be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy
a -50.