[re-linq] Request for comments: spring cleaning to get ready for semantic versioning

Michael Ketting

May 29, 2014, 5:07:20 AM5/29/14
to re-moti...@googlegroups.com
Hello re-linq Users!

As announced here (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/re-motion-users/aJYFtkc1Zeo/w6Z7guXLCLcJ), we want to move re-linq forward to fully embrace semantic versioning later this summer. To facility this, I'd like to do some spring cleaning:

* The Remotion.Linq.EagerFetching namespace contains types that can be used to build eager fetching APIs for a LINQ provider. As far as I'm aware, no-one (outside of other re-motion components) is actually using those, so I propose moving them to a separate assembly/nuget package.
* Everything within the Remotion.Linq.Collections and Remotion.Linq.Utilities namespaces would also be made internal except for ReflectionUtility.TryGetItemTypeOfClosedGenericIEnumerable(...).

There are also going to be some additional API hardening proposals in the upcoming months, e.g. certain classes that can be sealed or additional types that would be better placed into a separate assembly/nuget package, so please stay tuned.

My intention is to only touch bits of the re-linq frontend that aren't getting used as an API or extension point by concrete implementations anyway, so if any of those proposed changes would break your scenario, please let me know. I'm thinking the timeframe for the present change is going to be somewhere in 3 weeks at the earliest.

Best regards, Michael