[re-linq] Support for Portable Class Library in Remotion.Linq, updated security policy, and future support of Semantic Versioning

Michael Ketting

Apr 21, 2014, 10:57:26 AM4/21/14
to re-moti...@googlegroups.com
We have just finished adding portable class library support to Remotion.Linq, version 1.15.13.0. This was made possible by a patch by Arthur Vickers (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/re-motion-dev/cc50xbt_XhI/d0pevZMRWUkJ), who got the ball rolling on this matter.

At the momenet, we support
  • .NET 4.5 (and higher)
  • Windows Phone 8 (and higher, once released)
  • Windows Store Spps (Windows 8) and higher
Please see our JIRA issue for some additonal notes and documentation: https://www.re-motion.org/jira/browse/RM-6132

In the process of integrating this patch, we had to rework the partial trust configuration of Remotion.Linq. The assembly is now using the SecurityTransparentAttribute instead of the AllowPartiallyTrustedCallersAttribute. From what we can say based on our tests, this should not break any existing scenarios:
  • You can still link and extend Remotion.Linq from an assembly that has the AllowPartiallyTrustedCallersAttribute applied.
  • Placing the Remotion.Linq assembly into the GAC still allows the same linking and extending as before.

Please let us know if we missed something. On a side note, you can check out Andrew's post at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/re-motion-dev/cc50xbt_XhI/bjgMraLHpsEJ in regards to the future of the AllowPartiallyTrustedCallersAttribute.

Aside from the partial trust support, we've done some refactoring to the utilities and infrastructure APIs, most of it also triggered by PCL support. Please see the breaking changes linked to the JRIA issue if you need details: https://www.re-motion.org/jira/browse/RM-6132 Again, we don't envision those changes will have an impact outside of Remotion.Linq assembly itself.

And as a final bit, there're currently plans in motion to provide full-fleged semantic versioning for the Remtion.Linq assembly. I expect this to happen in late summer this year.

Best regards, Michael

Ketting, Michael

May 6, 2014, 4:37:00 PM5/6/14
to re-moti...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to announce that Remotion.Linq, version 1.15.15 now also supports Windows Phone 8.1 (wpa81 in NuGet).

Best regards, Michael