Northern Hemisphere Summer Riding Photos 2023

2 528 vues

Ted Durant

non lue,
31 mai 2023, 15:11:1331/05/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
I know, astronomically it's still spring, but as I said before, Memorial Day is the traditional start of summer here. And the corn is in and growing, so it must be summer! My first visit to Holy Hill is always a test of early-season fitness. Pretty good, not great, was blasted by the hills.

Off topic, but maybe worth another thread because I think there has been noteworthy progress:  I LOVE the VP "Clem Smith" pedals Riv sells. So much so that I bought a pile of them. I traded email with Spencer, first, to make sure I wasn't hogging Riv's supply. Crazy inexpensive, super high quality bearings, lots of traction without being leg-shredders. Between those and several pairs of Lems Shoes I am finally happy to be converting most of my bikes to flat pedals. My forefeet have widened considerably since retiring, the effect of no longer wearing dress shoes. I went through three pairs of biking shoes in two years. Lake shoes in wide are pretty good, but Lems are a game-changer for me. It was getting hot today, so I wore their Primal Zens, which have lots of ventilation.
IMG_1299.jpeg
IMG_1300.jpeg

John Dewey

non lue,
1 juin 2023, 10:18:0201/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Ted, years ago we lived out in the country near Beloit—a ride up to Holy Hill was always on my early spring schedule. Here's my Waterford 1900. I miss WI in the summertime for sure...winter not so much :  )

Holy Hill.jpg

BEST / Jock Dewey  / NorCA

Eric Norris

non lue,
1 juin 2023, 11:10:5601/06/2023
à Eric Norris
Now I know what “discalced” means!

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 12:11:13 PM UTC-7 Ted Durant wrote:
[...]

1 juin 2023, 12:17:0401/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 10:10:56 AM UTC-5 campyo...@me.com wrote:
Now I know what “discalced” means!

Hah, I hadn't thought about the irony of me commenting on my footwear in that post.

On Jun 1, 2023, at 7:18 AM, John Dewey <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ted, years ago we lived out in the country near Beloit—a ride up to Holy Hill was always on my early spring schedule. Here's my Waterford 1900. I miss WI in the summertime for sure...winter not so much :  )
Makes me wonder if we ever passed by each other out that way!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

John Dewey

non lue,
1 juin 2023, 15:05:5601/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Eric, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that some of us ride discalsed.

Best / Jock

Eric Norris

non lue,
1 juin 2023, 16:14:0001/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m sure that’s the case! The Discalced Followers of Rivendell!

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Eric Marth

non lue,
1 juin 2023, 20:01:2301/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for starting the new thread, Ted.

I rode discalced today here in Virginia. Upper 80s and warm. Though it has been a delicious spring with breezes, cool temps and low humidity that some years seem all too fleeting.

John G

non lue,
2 juin 2023, 07:34:5502/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
I have nothing to add to the discalced commentary, but I've been riding the Quickbeam a lot this spring while building up a different bike.

52937460714_28bc36c4b4_c.jpg

Alas, an ominous creaking started on the most recent ride.  Fortunately it was the crank and not the frame as on my previous Quickbeam.
Pondering replacement cranks now.  Suginos seem pricy.
52943415950_8ef8fc2db9_c.jpg

Cheers,
  John G
Union Bridge, MD

JohnS

non lue,
2 juin 2023, 12:30:0902/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
John G - Ouch! That's a very serious crank failure. Had you basked the crank at one time?

FWIW, I like the FSA Vero crank on my QB, low q-factor and used with a 103 spindle BB it give a fairly straight chain line.

JohnS

Eric Marth

non lue,
2 juin 2023, 15:24:3902/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
John — Riv sells the Sugino/Clipper/New Albion doubles for about $150. Seems reasonable to me.

You can also get them from Soma Fab for even less at $130, they have sales kinda regularly, too. If you sign up for their newsletter you'll get alerts. Sometimes they do 30% off.

DavidP

non lue,
3 juin 2023, 11:31:3403/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
This morning we are back to Spring with drizzly skies and temps in the mid-50s. A fendered bike makes riding in this weather very enjoyable and I went ahead with my planned ride out to a nearby radio telescope observatory - a nice 30 mile loop with a decent climb up the hill to the telescopes.

PXL_20230603_124406453_BW-1800.jpg

PXL_20230603_124439643_BW-1350.jpg

PXL_20230603_125457073_BW-1800.jpg

-Dave (in the 'burbs northwest of Boston)

Eric Marth

non lue,
4 juin 2023, 12:28:4704/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
A few from our ride around Afton, VA yesterday

230603 Crozet 11S.jpg

230603 Crozet 06S.jpg

Matti

non lue,
4 juin 2023, 13:38:1504/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Love that masonry arch!

Patrick Moore

non lue,
4 juin 2023, 22:01:0904/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is the kind of "wetland" off-pavement countryside that I envy, notably firm dirt or gravel and green on each side. OTOH, I don't envy the humidity. But oh, to have miles of firm dirt to ride on with 42s or 44s! I use "wetland" rather hyperbolically.

The arch photo (and others too) is also very pleasant.

Eric Marth

non lue,
5 juin 2023, 14:46:2105/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
The humidity can be brutal here in Virginia. This spring has been a gift with pleasant temperatures, cool mornings, breezes and low humidity lasting longer than normal.

It was warm and a bit humid on Saturday. The temperature inside the tunnel felt like it was 30º cooler! No kidding.

Josh (BertoBerg)

non lue,
7 juin 2023, 20:06:0107/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
It was 66 and sunny in the Seattle area today. Perfect summer/spring day to bring out the Homer!

Homer 2.jpg

Patrick Moore

non lue,
7 juin 2023, 22:46:0807/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice! I admire the saddle-to-bar drop and the flat ramps and ends-of-hooks. Maes Parallel?

One feature that is strange to me (that is a statement of personal feeling, not a value judgment) is the small ring and the huge inner cogs. I grew up with 52/42 and 14-24 5-speeds. What is the size of the chainring and the large cog? What is the small cog?

RH tires, but I can't make out the model; can you say?

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 6:05 PM Josh (BertoBerg) <josh.yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
It was 66 and sunny in the Seattle area today. Perfect summer/spring day to bring out the Homer!

Homer 2.jpg

Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore

non lue,
7 juin 2023, 22:48:4507/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I hope one day to build a sort of ditchbank path road bike beater with 38 (actual) tires and a fixed, ss/fw, or S3x drivetrain -- that often announced, never used '70s Libertas. It would be a cheap, beater version of this very nice HH.

Josh (BertoBerg)

non lue,
7 juin 2023, 23:03:4407/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Patrick-

Thanks for the compliment! The bars are the Nitto 177 (aka the Noodle).

This is my road-gravel-singletrack bike hence the need for same wild gearing. Its a 38 in the front and a 10-42 in the back. I don't use the 36 and 42 tooth cogs very often but when I do its usually on very steep and loose terrain. These bailout gears can be a life saver!

My other bikes are vintage road bikes so they use traditional gearing...53/39, 13-25, etc.

The tires are RH Snoqualmie Passes (700x44). They are great!

Josh Youngberg
Bainbridge Island, WA
USA

On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 7:46:08 PM UTC-7 Patrick Moore wrote:
Nice! I admire the saddle-to-bar drop and the flat ramps and ends-of-hooks. Maes Parallel?

One feature that is strange to me (that is a statement of personal feeling, not a value judgment) is the small ring and the huge inner cogs. I grew up with 52/42 and 14-24 5-speeds. What is the size of the chainring and the large cog? What is the small cog?

RH tires, but I can't make out the model; can you say?

DavidP

non lue,
9 juin 2023, 16:59:2809/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
This morning I took the Platypus out on a mixed surface loop (30miles, ~50% paved) that included some gravel:

PXL_20230609_125604414_1080.jpg

PXL_20230609_134202923-1350.jpg

Some firm trails

PXL_20230609_140757098_green-trail-1350.jpg

PXL_20230609_143112499_1080.jpg

Some bad pavement:

PXL_20230609_145609721-1080.jpg

And some flowers:

PXL_20230609_141939695_flower-tree-1350.jpg

-Dave

Dan Bluestein

non lue,
14 juin 2023, 14:20:1514/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Here's a mini ride report from my annual birthday ride this past weekend, first birthday ride since I got my Homer. The route was ~53 miles from home in Oakland to Samuel P. Taylor state park, by way of the Richmond/San Rafael bridge and the Bolinas Ridge trail. This was my first time on the Bolinas Ridge trail, and I was surprised by the contrast between how wet it was with the mist up at the top, where moisture was dripping down on us from the redwoods:
IMG_0553.jpg

there were lot of mud puddles and loose organic material to ride through (here's some of what was still on my bike by the end of the ride):
IMG_0571.jpg

contrasted with the dry meadow just a few miles to the northwest where the skies were blue and we picked up a couple hitchiking ticks:
IMG_0566.jpg
My riding buddies rated this route a top-tier birthday ride out of the 10 years I've been doing these rides (one friend has ridden all but one of these rides with me. And, of course, I'm not 10 years old, I just took up the tradition 10 years ago). Family came up by car with picnic and camping supplies for an overnighter at the park, and here's the bike ready for the more direct 35 mile ride home the next day:
IMG_0572.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
--dan

John Rinker

non lue,
17 juin 2023, 19:34:1617/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
A fine ride along Nakusp/Slocan trail skirting the Slocan Lake in British Columbia. All alone save for the bears and the birds.
IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1312.jpeg

DavidP

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 12:51:2619/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Taking in the view at the top of the hill this morning.

PXL_20230619_130242278_prospect--hill-1800.jpg

Josh (BertoBerg)

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 13:18:3919/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
The photo is a little blurry but...taking the Homer on a ride through the forest on a misty June-uary day in Seattle.

IMG_6067.JPEG

Patrick Moore

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 15:03:0519/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David: Where was this photo taken? Beautiful SOMA -- what model? -- and beautiful scenery (as is that in the Seattle and BC and Oakland photos).

Patrick Moore, who must take some bosque acequia-trail photos with the cottonwood fluff in the air.

DavidP

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 16:06:5019/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick, this is in Harvard, MA; my area of Massachusetts doesn't have a ton of hills high enough to give overlooks but this is a decent one. The bike is a Soma Pescadero with 700x33s under the VO fenders and Diacompe GC610 centerpulls - somewhat inspired by some of the Rambouillet / Romulus builds I've seen.

J G

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 16:24:2119/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful spot.  Looks like an overlook near Fruitlands.

Nice area for a ride.  Have not bicycled through there, but spent many days motorcycling the region when I lived in Boston in the 90s for college.

Patrick Moore

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 16:39:0219/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
From Wikipedia and the photos Google brought up, what a wonderful area, both as to the landscape and as to the social history -- Shakers and other utopianists who, even if one deprecates their naif attempts at human-constructed social perfection, at least sought to transcend petty commercial mundanity, and to do so in a beautiful natural environment.

The stone wall made me think of rural Britain but the extent and relative "spareness" of the landscape (and the  mortar in the wall) made me think of NA.

From the SOMA website the Pescadero does seem to be a near cousin to the Rambouillet. Again, the aesthetic of the bike matches that of the landscape.

Brian Turner

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 16:52:0119/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dan, those photos are incredible, and your Homer looks fantastic! Curious, what color is the cloth bar wrap on your bars? Is it treated with shellac or anything?

- Brian

On Jun 19, 2023, at 4:39 PM, Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ted Durant

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 17:19:2719/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 3:06:50 PM UTC-5 DavidP wrote:
Patrick, this is in Harvard, MA; my area of Massachusetts doesn't have a ton of hills high enough to give overlooks but this is a decent one. The bike is a Soma Pescadero with 700x33s under the VO fenders and Diacompe GC610 centerpulls - somewhat inspired by some of the Rambouillet / Romulus builds I've seen.

Lovely photo and bike! My mother grew up at Groton School, where my grandfather was organist, choir director, and music teacher. Many memories of my parents loading my 4 brothers and me  into the wayback of the station wagon and driving there from Cohasset (where there are less hills but at least the occasional scenic, and even iconic, ocean view).

Keep them coming, folks, I love them all even if I don't comment on each one!!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

Dan Bluestein

non lue,
19 juin 2023, 22:17:0919/06/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian! The bar wrap is teal, but dusty from the trail. I had the bike built by riv and didn't specify anything either way regarding treatment but I think they put on a coat of clear shellac (this is my first time using cloth tape and not sure I know the difference between shellacked and not, but it doesn't seem like just plain fabric).

All--I agree with Ted, keep the photos coming. It's everyone's beautiful images that inspired me to stop being a lurker and share mine.

--dan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/165C714B-DB52-4C8F-BEE8-34E9D858343E%40gmail.com.

Jason

non lue,
20 juin 2023, 13:44:3120/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Here’s a photo of my Sam from the weekend. I’m mostly a commuter with limited time to spend riding (two cute tiny ones at home), but have somehow recently managed to venture into some longer rides here and there. This was my longest to date – 70 miles. It was a serene early Father’s Day morning to ride along some mixed-terrain trails west of Chicago (Prairie Path and Fox River Trail, amongst other legs).

IMG_0269.jpeg

Takashi

non lue,
23 juin 2023, 10:26:4823/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Visited the town of Hida Furukawa last weekend.

A majestic sanmon (main gate of a Buddhist temple):
DSC03134.jpg

An alley:
DSC03128.jpg

A half-hour ride from the center of the town brought me to a steep land; I assume reclamation was a hard work here.
DSC03123.jpg

Takashi

Bill Lindsay

non lue,
23 juin 2023, 10:46:5223/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi, those shots are fantastic.

I just returned from a short French vacation, me and my college roommate.  We spent a couple days in Paris and a few more in Strasbourg.  My cycling was limited to two days: one in Strasbourg on Velhop city bikes, the other in Paris on a borrowed hybrid for a late night crepe run under the Eiffel Tower.  The photos are buried in a Flickr download, but I'll try to curate those a bit and post links.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Drew Fitchette

non lue,
24 juin 2023, 11:09:4224/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Went out for a ride before dusk here in Atlanta, trying to get as many in as possible before our near 100 degree hit kicks in next week.

DBBFC210-0BB4-4103-A733-D380D3F5FA66.jpeg

Takashi

non lue,
24 juin 2023, 23:06:3724/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Bill.
I'm looking forward to your photos of France.

Takashi

John Rinker

non lue,
28 juin 2023, 20:34:0228/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Ride. Rinse. Repeat.
IMG_1396 (1).jpeg

John Rinker

non lue,
28 juin 2023, 20:35:4328/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi,

Your beautiful photos always make me miss Japan. Keep 'em coming!

Cheers, John

On Friday, June 23, 2023 at 7:26:48 AM UTC-7 Takashi wrote:

greenteadrinkers

non lue,
29 juin 2023, 14:12:5329/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Hello Takashi,
Looking at your (excellent) recent images, would you mind telling me what your bar and stem combo is, and a quick summation of the handling?
Thanks,
Scott

Steve

non lue,
29 juin 2023, 14:44:1229/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Pedaled a couple sections  of the Saturday route for the upcoming  Asheville, NC Riv gathering (July 7, 8 & 9). Happy to report the air was still cool and fresh in the deep woods - not so much in the city.

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

J G

non lue,
29 juin 2023, 18:25:0729/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Back just a few days ago from this bike's first tour (with me) on a 280 mile loop through central MN.

Pictured here on the Lake Wobegon Trail somewhere near Albany, MN.

Note the Salted Nut Roll ensuring my minty BL-R600 levers do not get scratched for a photo op.

Scratches need to be earned...

DSCF0699_small.jpg

J G

non lue,
29 juin 2023, 19:07:2429/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
One more from the central MN tour.

IMG_1167_small.jpg

-Justus
Mpls, MN

greenteadrinkers

non lue,
30 juin 2023, 09:52:1430/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Hello Justus,

Wanted to ask what model Riv you touring on, noticed the third bottle cage and short (by Riv standards wheelbase), also are the tires 650b? if so how wide? curious about what those fenders can accommodate. Amazing build!
Thanks
Scott

Takashi

non lue,
30 juin 2023, 10:07:4730/06/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you John.
But, you know, summer in Japan is more severe than in Canada, and "Rinse" isn't easy here since rivers in Japan (https://flic.kr/p/2oz6bYx) are basically more treacherous than those in Canada, so mileage will be smaller in summer.
I'll post pictures when I go ride.

Scott, handlebar is Albastache, and the stem is Nitto Dirt Drop 10cm.
Riv recommends that Moustache bar raised high (https://www.rivbike.com/pages/nitto-stem-comparison), so I raised my Albastache high.
Climbing is equally as easy as with drop bars, and feels very natural when descending curvy roads, maybe most natural among the bars I've used so far.
(I've used Noodle, Albatross, Bosco, and Bullmoose.)
First I had the bar ends pointed slightly downward, and I suffered hand numbness. I tilted it so the bar ends point very slightly UPward, and the numbness is gone, though it seems counter intuitive.

Takashi

J G

non lue,
1 juil. 2023, 11:13:5001/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Scott,

This is a 97 Riv Mountain/Expedition, originally owned by the OP of this thread.  Thanks for the comment on the build, it is a WIP and certainly has a strong imprint from myself as well as key pieces from the 2 previous owners.

26" wheels
Compass 1.8" Extralight tires measuring an actual 42mm on ~22mm internal rims and giving good clearance for the VO fenders
Rides like butter at 24F/28R psi @ 145lbs (unloaded) thru 175lbs (loaded)

Thanks
-Justus

Drew Saunders

non lue,
4 juil. 2023, 15:26:5504/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Took the Riv up to the Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA today (almost more famous for the concerts and other events there than the wine). Even though I've lived here for many years, this is only my 2nd time riding up these hills. Most of the hills I usually ride around here are getting road repairs from this past winter's really heavy storms, so I'm broadening my route selection.
Panasonic-LX5-P1040361-20230704.jpgPanasonic-LX5-P1040360-20230704.jpgPanasonic-LX5-P1040359-20230704.jpg
The new Swift Kestrel did a fine job holding the vest and arm warmers that I really didn't need (I keep forgetting how much warmer it is just a little south of where I live), plus the little Panasonic LX5 camera that was used to take these photos.

I'm also really liking my "one by with bailout" 26-42, 11-28 gearing. I only used the front derailleur four times (two downshift, two upshift) for the Mount Eden and Pierce roads, and mostly just stayed in the 42 for I'm guessing about 90-95% of the ride, which is what I wanted with this gearing. I used the whole cassette with the 42 'ring, and the 17 through 25 with the 26 chainring.

Kim Hetzel

non lue,
4 juil. 2023, 19:01:1304/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Drew,

I, personally, have never been nor set foot on or to the Mountain Winery in Saratoga in California. However, I have been by that road entrance on Hwy 9 many times over that led up to it.

Back in the 70's, I went to a school up off of Sanborn Road on Pick Road that led to a plateau overlooking the Paul Mason Vineyards from a distance. The name of the school I went to was Valley Christian High School, of which I attended for four years.

I did ride my bicycle to school one time. That was a big adventure from Mountain View, where I lived with my parents. I rode my first ten speed bicycle; a Batavus. Going down Sanborn Road was quite exhilarating to say none the least.

Now, the high school I went to has been turned into a summer camp and a wedding venue with a lot of new amenities, especially a large pool. It is called Walden West.

I did a lot of bicycle riding up Old LaHonda from Page Mill Road to Skyline and over to the coast to San Gregorio. I rode Skyline to Half Moon Bay.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

Piaw Na

non lue,
5 juil. 2023, 11:38:5405/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
What I want to know is how did you get over that gate? I've always wanted to ride all the way up to the concert venue but it always said no bikes. Your 26x28 gearing is still a higher bailout gear than my 40x51 (or 38x51 on the roadini). I use the lowest gear on Bohlman-On Orbit-Bohlman (and once on Rapley trail which is a knee buster with nearly 30% grades) and it's just enough.

On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 12:26:55 PM UTC-7 Drew Saunders wrote:

Drew Saunders

non lue,
5 juil. 2023, 14:01:2305/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
The gate was closed, I took that photo just outside the gate. I've never even been to the winery, but I've been told the hill past the gate is quite steep. My 3x9 gearing had a 24x23 low gear, so I've added a lower bailout from what I used to have. Anything too steep for that I'd probably not ride, or just walk.

Drew Saunders

non lue,
5 juil. 2023, 14:05:4705/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Kim,

Old La Honda and Stage (which you might have taken near San Gregorio) are closed: https://www.smcgov.org/publicworks/county-road-closures
Hwy 84, which is how I usually get home after riding Old La Honda, has some seriously scary damage: https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-4/d4-projects/d4-san-mateo-84-storm-damage

I think OLH is closed at the very top, so I may ride up it to the closure and then back down again this weekend.

Drew

Kim Hetzel

non lue,
5 juil. 2023, 14:53:5905/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Drew,

I thank you for information and the current conditions of Old La Honda Road. I appreciate it.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

Piaw Na(藍俊彪)

non lue,
5 juil. 2023, 18:16:3905/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I rode both those closures fairly recently (a month or two ago). Road closures are usually good for cyclists --- no cars!

Takashi

non lue,
7 juil. 2023, 11:16:3507/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Climbed Mt. Ibushi last Sunday, where there is a road that goes up to just below the summit.

At some places I was riding in leafy shades:
IBUSI11.jpg

And in other places there were no shades and it was hot:
IBUSI12.jpg

IBUSI14.jpg

I parked my bike at the highest point of the road and walked several minutes, and I was at the summit:
IBUSI24.jpg

I enjoyed 360-degrees view:
(A short movie)

After that, I descended the other side of the mountain. It seemed that the road wasn't maintained, and it was, well, thrilling:
IBUSI31.jpg

Takashi

Eric Marth

non lue,
13 juil. 2023, 10:48:3013/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Ride 230712 01.jpg

Yesterday, 20-mile road loop.

Ted Durant

non lue,
14 juil. 2023, 06:58:3514/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
In Ireland you know it's summer because the rain is a little warmer.

My East Coast Sam was finished just in time for this trip. It acquitted itself well on both the climb and descent (south side up and back) of Connor Pass. However, the stock brake pads on CX50 brakes are downright scary on wet rims.  I haven't had to worry about that on my West Coast Sam. I didn't plan to put fenders on East Coast Sam, figuring I'd be a fair weather rider when visiting my daughter. For riding in Ireland, your really want fenders.

If it was clear, you'd see the ocean down there, as promised by the sign.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA (but sending this from Dingle, Kerry, Ireland)

IMG_1383.jpeg

Patrick Moore

non lue,
14 juil. 2023, 14:26:3414/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In 2017 I had fond ideas and made desultory investigations to take a bike to Ireland while my daughter was touring for a week or so with a choral group but alas things got no further than that.

I'd be delighted to see more photos of your tour.

Funny, Constance of Lovely Bicycle described in one of her later posts after her move to Ireland (is it Northern Ireland in her case?) the discomfort of riding on a hot Irish summer day. She spoke of temperatures in the lower 60s F. At 60*F I'm wearing wool layers.

I got home about 10:30 from a bike shopping trip and the thermometer read 98.5*, on the way up to 103* -- but dry SW desert heat.

Patrick Moore

Ted Durant

non lue,
14 juil. 2023, 15:21:0214/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 7:26:34 PM UTC+1 Patrick Moore wrote:
I'd be delighted to see more photos of your tour.

I should clarify ... I'm here for a week with 25 other family members, staying in Dingle for a week, not bike touring. I would definitely not come here for a bike tour without fenders!! Nevertheless, I hope to get at least one longish ride in, weather permitting.

Funny, Constance of Lovely Bicycle described in one of her later posts after her move to Ireland (is it Northern Ireland in her case?) the discomfort of riding on a hot Irish summer day. She spoke of temperatures in the lower 60s F. At 60*F I'm wearing wool layers.

Interesting you made that comment. My daughter who lives in LA arrived in Dublin a few days earlier, and she sent us a message that it was sunny and 60 and felt very hot. Something about the northern latitudes and humidity, I guess. Yes, when the sun comes out, the layers peel off quickly.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA (reporting from Dingle, Kerry, Ireland)

Ted Durant

non lue,
16 juil. 2023, 06:08:4416/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 7:26:34 PM UTC+1 Patrick Moore wrote:
I'd be delighted to see more photos of your tour.

Well, hopefully others will, as well. Here you go. A 73km loop from Dingle along the Wild Atlantic Way east past Inch beach, then a short but hard (I saw 15% on the Wahoo a few times) climb over the Caherconree Scenic Route to Camp, back west on more Wild Atlantic Way, turning south over the Connor Pass back to Dingle. A bit more view today, but plenty of wet, too. The cloud seemed to be following me all the way through Inch, but the weather gods graced me with a beautiful climb over Caherconree. More wet on the run up to Connor Pass, but decent visibility at the top and for the descent. Sure wish I had fenders, but very glad to have waxed the chain.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA, but reporting from Dingle, Kerry, Ireland. (Go Kerry! Big match today.)
IMG_1391.jpegIMG_1390.jpegIMG_1389.jpegIMG_1388.jpegIMG_1387.jpegIMG_1386.jpegIMG_1385.jpeg

John Rinker

non lue,
18 juil. 2023, 11:41:2918/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Cresting a peak in the Valkyr Range, BC.
IMG_0343.jpeg

Eric Norris

non lue,
18 juil. 2023, 11:57:1218/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I want to be there right now.

On Jul 18, 2023, at 8:41 AM, John Rinker <jwri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cresting a peak in the Valkyr Range, BC.

Patrick Moore

non lue,
18 juil. 2023, 14:23:4618/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ted. Lovely photos, as was John's in a different way.

So wet!!!

Patrick Moore who got back from a very pleasant errand ride a while ago just as the temp hit 100, with humidity rather high at 18%.

Isaac Martin

non lue,
21 juil. 2023, 01:55:1921/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
PXL_20230714_001614360.jpg
New bike week for me - just finished building up this clem

Jay LePree

non lue,
21 juil. 2023, 06:38:3121/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
platy minnewaskahill.jpgplaty minnewaska.jpg
The Platypus at Minnewaska State Park, NY

Kind regards,

Jay LePree
Demarest, NJ

Dan Bluestein

non lue,
28 juil. 2023, 21:29:2128/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
These photos are making me want to visit places like Ireland, Japan, B.C. and New York, thanks everyone!
Recently I took advantage of child #1 being off at a sleep-away camp to leave my wife with only child #2 to look after and managed to get in my first overnighter since I got the Homer. This was an overlapping trip to the birthday ride I posted about last month, from the East Bay across the bay to Point Reyes National Seashore. here are a few shots.

Crossing the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge:
IMG_0669.jpg

Heading in to the campsite in Point Reyes:
IMG_0678.jpg

A walk down to the beach after setting up camp:
IMG_0683.jpg

And I realized I didn't include the bike in any of my photos from the trip (unless the partial handlebars above count), so for some Riv content, here's a puppy sniffing at the scents from the park that were still on the bike when I got back home:
IMG_0689.jpg

--dan

Piaw Na(藍俊彪)

non lue,
28 juil. 2023, 21:34:0828/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 6:29 PM Dan Bluestein <dblue...@gmail.com> wrote:

Recently I took advantage of child #1 being off at a sleep-away camp to leave my wife with only child #2 to look after and managed to get in my first overnighter since I got the Homer. This was an overlapping trip to the birthday ride I posted about last month, from the East Bay across the bay to Point Reyes National Seashore. here are a few shots.

Was this to Wildcat Campground? I've been trying to get that site for ages and have never had any luck!

Dan Bluestein

non lue,
28 juil. 2023, 22:08:0528/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
We camped at Glen but took an afternoon walk from there to Wildcat. It helped getting a site since we were able to take off work and go on a Monday.

Patrick Moore

non lue,
28 juil. 2023, 22:24:3428/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kudos and thanks for sharing the photos. Quite a difference between photo #1 and the others.

Good on ya, mate.

Gratuitous video link, just because I like the Kiwi beer ads: https://youtu.be/kqdmCIM57Ig?t=52

Patrick Moore, ruthlessly bottom-trimming in ABQ, NM.

velomann

non lue,
28 juil. 2023, 22:55:5428/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
I spent the 1st half of July riding in NE Oregon (I Live in Portland). For those not familiar with our geography, Portland is at the Northern end of the Willamette valley and close to sea level. The Cascade mountains bisect Oregon N-S about 1/3 of the way east of the Pacific Ocean. Most of Oregon (the part east of the cascades) is some form of high desert around 2800'-5000' elevation. The Wallowa mountains (Oregon's only significant granite formation) are in the NE corner of the state, and border the Snake River, which forms the Oregon-Idaho border, and with the Wallowas forms Hell's Canyon, North America's deepest canyon (yes, deeper than the Grand Canyon.)

This was my third bike trip in this part of the state. The roads were quiet - I had days where 1 car every half hour was "traffic" - the weather stellar (upper 70s-low 80's mid-day) and the scenery absolutely incredible.

I based myself in Baker City at the Churchill School https://www.churchillbaker.com/ a former school that Brian and Corinne have lovingly transformed into a bike hostel/art gallery/music venue. I left my car there to do a 5-day solo bike camping tour around the Wallowas. I returned for a night, then headed out for a 2-day loop around the Elkhorn Mountains, including camping at Anthony Lake, the highest paved road-accessible campground in Oregon at 7200'. Then drove to John Day where I did a 1-day loop around the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness. My last two nights were spent in Mitchell where I stayed at the Spoke'n Hostel https://www.spokenhostel.org/ and did a couple day rides (including some gravel) around the Painted Hills/John Day River area.
IMG_4586 (1).jpgIMG_4572.jpgIMG_4450.jpgIMG_4465 (1).jpgIMG_4533.jpgIMG_4545.jpg

[...]

Coco Menk

non lue,
29 juil. 2023, 01:14:2429/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
 4:30 am lupines in BC on my commute. Rides have mostly been commuting this summer but can't complain when you get to see sunrises like this all the time! Have more to post, but had files that were too large for the message

Coco
IMG_2836.jpeg

Dan Bluestein

non lue,
29 juil. 2023, 12:07:0429/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Now daydreaming about visiting eastern Oregon too. Beautiful photos.

(Oh, and to Patrick: thanks for sending me down a YouTube rabbit hole of NZ beer ads. That accent is so charming to this California kid)

Patrick Moore

non lue,
29 juil. 2023, 14:52:5429/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No worries, mate.

Here is another favorite; sorry, ladies. https://youtu.be/mk2pbd-jfvw

The only English accent weirder to American ears than the NZ one is the South African one.

On Sat, Jul 29, 2023 at 10:07 AM Dan Bluestein <dblue...@gmail.com> wrote:
... (Oh, and to Patrick: thanks for sending me down a YouTube rabbit hole of NZ beer ads. That accent is so charming to this California kid

Patrick Moore

non lue,
29 juil. 2023, 14:53:3629/07/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, no more hijacking.

John Rinker

non lue,
29 juil. 2023, 17:15:5829/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful Coco! Where in BC are there still lupins like this in bloom? In the southern interior, ours have all gone to seed. A lovely commute, indeed!

Been wanting to ride in Grant County for a number of years now, Veloman. Your photos have got me thinking I'd better get there soon. What a beautiful looking ride, and the Churchill School in Baker looks like a must-visit venue.

Cheers, John

Eric Marth

non lue,
30 juil. 2023, 16:26:4630/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Nice, Coco :)

Ted Durant

non lue,
30 juil. 2023, 17:14:1030/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, so many great photos and scenic rides!

Last photos of East Coast Sam from my recent trip. I took a short spin around the Dennis area on Cape Cod before driving the bike to its new home in Portland, Maine. Planning to be back there in September and hoping the weather cooperates.

The center of Cape Cod has little networks of "Cartways" that are delightful to ride. Sandy roads and lots of trees for shade. And, of course, there is always lots of "Cape light".

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA (reporting from Cape Cod, MA, USA)

IMG_1406.jpegIMG_1405.jpeg

Bikie#4646

non lue,
31 juil. 2023, 18:51:1831/07/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Ted et al,
I'm a little late to this conversation, but wanted to add my own solo 3-day/2-night trip on the Greenbrier River Trail in WVa. I rode my Sam Hillborne tourer starting at the southern trailhead, Caldwell, and rode up to (nearly) Marlinton at the 50-mile mark, before turning back. I had tired of the hot weather in Central Va. and I enjoyed cool (for July) temps for the 91-mile round-trip. The first night temps dropped briefly to the mid-50's. The days were in the low 70's to mid-80's. But, as can be the case in the mountains in the summer, I was visited by thunderstorms both nights. Fortunately, this trail offers some small Adirondack-style shelters at some of the small primitive campsites along the 81-mile trail. Almost all campsites include a concrete pit toilet, but not all have water (pumps). Mine did, making it a good choice for making two meals (dinner & breakfast).
My entire trip is in this Flickr album if you want to get a taste of a West Va. rail trail:
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.
IMG_7091.jpeg

Steve

non lue,
1 août 2023, 08:33:4501/08/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Enjoying the pics of the Greenbrier - my wife and I rode a section on the southern end probably 20 years ago on a Santana tandem. The road bed was pretty rugged at that time and Janna suffered a bit stoking on the rear of the bike with 32mm tires. After spending the night in a lovely B&B a few miles off the trail we abandoned it and returned via paved back roads. It looks like the trail surface has been greatly improved since then. We may need to venture up that way again, it's such a beautiful corner of WV.

Here's a few pics from a ride in Pisgah Forest over the weekend - Hot & Humid !!!

Hotday1.jpeg

Hotday2.jpeg

Hotday3.jpeg

And here's one of our fallen beasts of the Southern Mountains:

fallen beast.jpeg

Eric White

non lue,
1 août 2023, 12:27:2201/08/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday my Soma San Marcos and I enjoyed Gibraltar's Rock, a RUSA 200k permanent that briefly runs along the Wisconsin River in Sauk Prairie, WI. Dozens of sandhill cranes, numerous red-tailed hawks, a few turkeys, and two deer were seen along the ride. It was a great day on the bike.

IMG_20230731_115633.jpg

Ian

non lue,
1 août 2023, 18:42:2501/08/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reasoning behind my widening retired feet. I am starting the experiment with wider pedals. Thou I gave up clipping in some years ago. Can’t beat getting off the bike grabbing a coffee without clacking through the shop

Bikie#4646

non lue,
1 août 2023, 18:56:5801/08/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Steve, I know what you and your wife suffered! My first trip was also about the same time (20 yrs ago) and I too was riding on 32 mm tires, since I took my custom built Bontrager CX bike with a jerry-rigged back rack and backpack. Fortunately it was an overnighter. And yes, the trail was (to my memory) much chunkier.
However, it does have a good base (probably the original RR rip rap) and drains well, unlike the C&O Nat'l Towpath and even the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) if it gets significant rain. In my experience, cinder is wonderful if it is not too deep or too wet! The GRT folks do a god job of trail mainetance.
I still ride my Bontrager, but have since moved to 35mm tires (maxed out on a CX bike but an improvement) and use it for local fire roads, mostly.
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.
IMG_5589.jpeg

matt miller

non lue,
17 août 2023, 11:09:4017/08/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Went on a group ride last night to take advantage of a very pleasant August day in St. Louis. (No humidity!!!) Got in almost 35. Had some trouble keeping up, but that was my fault, not the bike's fault. Ha. Bonus Arch sighting.IMG_3776.jpeg

Tony Lockhart

non lue,
16 sept. 2023, 17:52:0716/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Summer's almost over....hoping to encourage a few more folks to post before the weather starts changing. Here's a quick snapshot during a pitstop in Pasadena, CA this morning.
71656470033__5D98BF24-2F46-4318-A0B5-A4DF2FD4367D.JPG

Josh (BertoBerg)

non lue,
17 sept. 2023, 10:06:3517/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for reviving this thread, Tony. I love seeing pictures of everyone's bikes and hearing about the adventures they were taking them on.

"Homer and Old Building", Hansville, Washington

IMG_4377.jpeg

Kim H.

non lue,
17 sept. 2023, 12:16:3217/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
I went on a trail ride yesterday. The trail's name is The Willapa Hills Trails located between Chehalis and South Bend, Washington.

First off, the weather was absolutely gorgeous for the Pacific Northwest. I have never been on this trail before. It is a very long one, 56 miles. There are parts of the trail that have yet to be developed and connected, including old railroad bridges, of which are unsafe to cross.

I decided to start at the Adna Trailhead and ride west. The trail follows both the SR 6 and along the Chehalis River through farm lands and wooded areas over several modified railroad bridges. I took my time at a leisurely pace enjoying how much of the trail was shaded by a lot of trees, of which I found to be very calming and relaxing. The trail surfaces were mostly either hard packed dirt or gravel or short lived stretches of pavement. There were occasional joggers, dog walkers, cyclists and met two ladies on horseback.  For the most part, it was not a populated trail.

I rode out past the Cerces Trailhead about a half a mile before I decided to turn around and head back.

I had some trouble with my rear derailleur and chain in my low gears. I had changed out the rear cable and cable housing to make it a little longer. I had played with the adjustment barrel, but to no avail. Nothing real serious. I managed well with my chain in the bigger chain ring. I will have to do some adjustments at a later time and day.

Overall, this Willapa Hills Trail is the most beautiful trail I have ever been on. It beckons me back to ride from the Cerces Trailhead to Pe Ell and back about 30 miles before the rains return.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

thumbnail_20230916_113216xxxx.jpgIMG_8896.JPG

Le message a été supprimé

Kim H.

non lue,
17 sept. 2023, 12:43:1617/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
thumbnail_20230916_120006_HDR.jpg

Kim H.

non lue,
17 sept. 2023, 12:47:4617/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
thumbnail_20230916_115949.jpgthumbnail_20230916_115423.jpg

Kim H.

non lue,
17 sept. 2023, 12:55:5717/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
thumbnail_20230916_115604_HDR.jpg

On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 9:47:46 AM UTC-7 Kim H. wrote:
thumbnail_20230916_115949.jpgthumbnail_20230916_115423.jpg

John Rinker

non lue,
17 sept. 2023, 21:21:4717/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Summer is ever so slowly fading into Fall, and September in BC has to be one of the finest riding months of the year.
IMG_2003.jpeg

Eric Marth

non lue,
17 sept. 2023, 22:11:5717/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
A few from this week, we've finally got some sweet and comfortable weather here in Virginia.

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7446.jpg

Patrick Moore

non lue,
18 sept. 2023, 02:00:3218/09/2023
à rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Lovely Fall photos, everyone; thanks for posting. All the bikes and certainly the backgrounds in the photos are beautiful, but I particularly noticed the precise, spare beauty of the Tektro CR 720 cantis on Tony's bike. I replaced mine with Paul's, and these work better in my application (in front, very long steerer tube with largish frame built for 26" wheels), but I have to say that the CR720s are the aesthetic winner.

It has cooled down by about 10*F here in high desert ABQ, NM but it's not yet quite Fall -- highs ranging from the upper 70s to the mid 80s (and horrible -- horrible, I say! -- 42% humidity!) but I hope to remember this thread and post photos of Fall cottonwoods in about 3-4 weeks.

Takashi

non lue,
18 sept. 2023, 09:04:0218/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Kim, you live in a very beautiful place! It must have been fun to ride that trail.
And your Clem is gorgeous.

Mid-September and it's still very hot here.
Soba (from which Japanese soba noodles are made) patches are in full bloom.

DSC03285.jpg

Takashi

Kim H.

non lue,
18 sept. 2023, 20:20:0118/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
@ Takashi -

I love the Pacific Northwest here in Washington state with all of the mountains and trees. It may rain eight or nine months out the year. However, when the sun is out and not too hot, It is absolutely glorious.

I wanted to keep riding further on the Willapa Hills Trail, but I did not want to go too far beyond my limits. To experience such a beautiful trail was amazing.

I thank-you for your observation praise on my Clem.

I see that you have the same pedals as I do. Cool !

Have you considered buying some extension wings for your pedals  ?

They really do help.

Smiles to you.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

John Rinker

non lue,
20 sept. 2023, 20:53:5320/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
The best part of riding on the road? The art, of course! (Apologies for the spoiler.)
IMG_2007.jpeg

DavidP

non lue,
22 sept. 2023, 22:00:2922/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Got a nice ride in on the Platypus for the last day of Summer. Part of the loop included an unpaved trail that used to be part of a rail line and features a stone arch bridge.

PXL_20230922_132606809_arch-1800.jpg
PXL_20230922_133612399-arch-1800.jpg

PXL_20230922_133730270-grafiti-1800.jpg

-Dave

Kim H.

non lue,
22 sept. 2023, 23:54:3422/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Very cool Dave.
Where is this old rail line trail ?

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

Ted Durant

non lue,
23 sept. 2023, 14:40:0523/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Okay, astronomically speaking today is the first day of fall. So, my ride yesterday still counts as Summer, even though the traditional end of summer around here is Labor Day. We always get some warm weather in September, so it still feels like summer. I took the Breadwinner on my 2-gravel-road-segment 100km loop. Very few motor vehicles on a Friday morning.  It's starting to look a bit like fall, here and there. The best riding season for us starts now.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

IMG_1554.jpeg

IMG_1556.jpeg

Paul Germain

non lue,
23 sept. 2023, 16:33:4823/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
This looks absolutely delightful Ted! Virginia got a little bit of fall weather here too. After an intense summer, it feels good!

My bro-in-law took his new Hillborne on its maiden ride to Jamestown Island on Thursday and was so pleased!

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

Inline image

DavidP

non lue,
23 sept. 2023, 17:44:0823/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Kim - the stone arch trail is in Westford, MA.

-Dave

Eric Marth

non lue,
24 sept. 2023, 10:01:2924/09/2023
à RBW Owners Bunch
Paul — Looks like Ian had the bike built up as a complete by Riv. Are those 54cm Noodles? They look wide!

Hope you all had a nice outing.

Eric

Chargement d'autres messages en cours.
0 nouveau message