Your favorite Rivendell?

Patrick Moore

May 2, 2018, 6:30:55 PM5/2/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
I've owned 5: 3 custom Roads, 56 (55?) single tt, canti Sam, and blue Ram, later model with room for 32s and fenders and space in between.

I put more miles on the 2003 Curt, just about identical to the '99 Joe gofast in frame geometry, drivetain/saddle/bar components and setup; it just adds all the accoutrements -- fenders, racks f/r, dynolights, bell fer gosh's sakes -- that you'd reasonably want for an "errand" bike, But, (just rode it) I have to say that the stripper gofast is just more fun to ride, measured by response in drivetrain to effort in legs. I don't know why this is so, since the '03 has largely the same drivetrain, and wheels -- same tires, Elk Pass -- as the '99. There is probably a 7 lb weight differenceboth bikes unladen ('99 is 18.1 now that it adds second bottle cage and Dingle on flip side); and the '03 is very often laden; but -- I dunno.

I realize that all of this is very relative to your own type of riding; but for me, if someone held a gun to my head and said: "One bike; choose now!", I'd have to choose the '99 Joe.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

Deacon Patrick

May 2, 2018, 6:48:42 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
The one I’m riding, of course. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Joe Bernard

May 2, 2018, 6:59:45 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, I was going to chime in with "the one I'm riding", too, because I only have one (at the moment) and I love it: my glorius RBW Blue Cheviot. The ride is pure magic, and there's something about the lines of Grant's mixte design that now makes my brain look at 'normal toptube' bikes and think, "Boy, that thing is way up there!".

One thing I like about it is it flows better into the long stays than the toptuber Rivs, to my eye. It's possible this comes from not having a preconceived notion of what mixtes are "supposed" to look like.

Extrapolating from my favorite Riv I've owned, my dream custom would be a Glorius/Wilbury with those insanely delicate - and hard to paint - lugs. Candy Apple Red!

WETH

May 2, 2018, 7:47:06 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ve owned four: Early generation Atlantis, Road Standard, Romulus converted to 650b, and a Cheviot.
I sold the Atlantis and the Road.
The Cheviot is my favorite. It is stable and smooth. It can handle a load well and fits 700x50 Big Bens with fenders (some hacking required).

I’m with Joe on dreaming about a red Cheviot with Wilbury lugs!!

Steven Sweedler

May 2, 2018, 7:54:09 PM5/2/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a 96 Road and a 2000 All Rounder. Rode the AR today on a 60 m loop with a 5.5 m climb. Descent  was very windy and the bike was very stable, at 46 mph,  a wonderful bike, has Compass 44s that are a nice ride. With or without a load it rides very well. Steve
On a ferry in the PacNW last Sept

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Don Compton

May 2, 2018, 8:11:32 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have owned four ( two Roadeos). For me it's a toss up between my old Ram and my current Roadeo. Both are wonderful bikes and are great for longish rides. Impeccable handling.

John G.

May 2, 2018, 8:19:11 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I own an Atlantis and Quickbeam, and I sold a Hunqapillar. Loved all of them in different ways, but there's some really wonderful about the Quickbeam. Obviously, it's a very different bike than the Atlantis, but it just has a magic feel to it. Sturdy and nimble.

Sky Coulter

May 2, 2018, 9:08:38 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

I've had a Saluki, Bombadil, Romulus, Appaloosa, and a Clementine.  The Saluki is probably the nicest for an unencumbered dayride.  But the joe appaloosa is a close second.  And then the romulus is pretty awesome. And the bombadil would have been prit' near perfect if it fit me a little better. And of course the clementine let's me ride in comfort with my little girl on a handlebar seat.

Basically, they're all great.  And yet I still lust for every Rivendell model I don't currently possess.  But as Deacon Patrick would recommend, I'm working on practicing contentment with my abundance.  At some point I hope to actually reduce my number of bikes to 2-3 from my current 5.

Sky in new west

T Cal

May 2, 2018, 9:15:44 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife owns a Saluki and a Betty Foy -- she loves both, but would probably pick the Foy if forced to choose.

I have a Quickbeam (had two until today), a Hillborne, a Rambouillet, and one of the custom "mystery bike" Appaloosa prototypes.  Of those, I like the Quickbeam most in that it is the least replicable by other bikes I own.  I probably like the Appaloosa least -- it also is very unique, but feels less versatile (perhaps counterintuitively) than the Quickbeam.

Birdman

May 2, 2018, 9:36:22 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have an Atlantis and have had three(!) Quickbeams (the latest one arriving from Ty in a few days). I absolutely love my Atlantis, but the Quickbeam is my favorite Riv.

Matt Beecher

May 2, 2018, 10:11:56 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a tough time choosing between my Atlantis and Saluki. I love them both, so much so that I bought a spare of each to have various builds to use as needed.

I have hopes that the new 650B Atlantis might take the lead though. A 650B Atlantis in my size sounds like a great thing.

Matt B
Oswego, IL

Pondero

May 2, 2018, 10:27:53 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well...I let an Atlantis and two different Hilsens slip through my hands, and the Quickbeam is still here. So I guess that is my answer. It want to completely change its current build. But I can't stand to let go of what it already is.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Drw

May 2, 2018, 10:29:28 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ve had a Sam, hunq, Toyo Atlantis, and now currently have a Waterford 650b Atlantis and a Rosco mtn mixte.

Waterford 650b Atlantis is my favorite. It blends all the good aspects of all the rivs I’ve owned together. Good on road, good on dirt, good with a load, good without. Not light but I should lose the lbs off my body before complaining about that from the bike.

Kainalu V.

May 2, 2018, 10:33:52 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
After a 64 Hillborne, (only)two 68 Quickbeams, a 65 Clem H, a Will's Mountain Mixte, and a Hubbuhubbuh. The Beams were super, the Clem does whatever I want it to, the Hillborne was the first bike that fit, and the tandem is too fresh to judge. But the mixte?, that bike rules. Had to do some filing to get the chain to stop pinching between the cassette and somewhat low hourglass braze-on, and the blue took awhile before I loved it (I do!), but that bike gives me great joy. With it's step throughness, it looks slow and relaxed, which makes it more of a kick when it's not being slow and relaxed, and makes slow and relaxed that much more so. Love love love that bike...
-Kai
BK NY

P.S.- whoever was riding that cinnamonny red beauty of a Quickbeam through Queens this morning, yours may be my favorite, wish I wasn't rushing along to a meeting and could've spent a bit of time drooling.
Hi. Nice Bike.

Coal Bee Rye Anne

May 2, 2018, 10:59:47 PM5/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
65cm Clem H... my first and only Riv so nothing else for me to compare it to, really. When I first discovered Riv they were still selling some SimpleOne’s as webspecials. Although I was only looking for parts I was highly tempted but feared the largest 62cm would still feel too small even though it was a bigger than my only bike at the time. Still being a one bike person it also seemed excessive but little did I know that was just the beginning of my bike tinkering obsession. Since then I’ve coveted several other Riv models but finally decided the frame size and value of the 65cm Clem Completes presale was too good to pass up and was my first complete new bike purchase since 1994 when I bought a rigid, steel mtb.

Patrick Moore

May 2, 2018, 11:21:24 PM5/2/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Don: Can you say if, and how, the Roadeo handles differently from the Ram? I've owned a Ram and am interested in a Roadeo.

Thanks, Patrick

Mojo

May 3, 2018, 12:18:29 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have had an early AllRounder, Riv Road Standard, Quickbeam, and Legolas.

While I enjoyed the AllRounder for its versatility, this was overrun by other more versatile (read larger tire capacity) frames over the years. And I bought it too small. It has found a new home.

The Road Standard has a unique quality that is indescribable. It disappears underneath me. It accelerates well, carries light loads well, handles superbly, has no toe overlap. I attribute this to Grant's design for my body and riding style. It is my only bike with caliper brakes. The Road Standard is my favorite Rivendell bike.

The Quickbeam's is unique for its multi single gear design. On longer rides I really enjoy the QB and its a fun around town cruiser too. It doesn't handle as well as the Riv Road but it is very nice. my choice of front basket, components, and gears just make it pleasing and useful. The Quickbeam is my favorite Rivendell bike.

The Legolas is unique for its fanciful lugs and wonderful greyhound handling. The bike loves to go! It's a great climber. It has a lighter feel, a certain springiness. It accepts bigger 38mm tires. it easily accepts fenders. Still it lacks *something* that the Riv Road has. It has a 73 degree seat tube, one degree steeper than the others, so my saddle rides on the front of its rails. What it lacks, it compensates with the ability to do mixed-surface rides and handle poor weather with grace. The Legolas is my favorite Rivendell bike.

Joe, multitude of riches, in GJT

Lum Gim Fong

May 3, 2018, 12:28:54 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My blue Rambouillet.
But I have a soft spot for my Bleriot. I guess because it was my first foray into Rivbikes and 650b.

Don Compton

May 3, 2018, 12:41:22 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,
The Roadeo is just slightly more responsive, and has room for bigger tires. I had a 60cm Ram and have a 59cm Roadeo. The fit is very similar. Just personal, my Roadeo is a very slight favorite.

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Don Compton <dpc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

CMR

May 3, 2018, 12:47:33 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've had a 26" Atlantis, Sam Hillborne, Clem Smith Jr, Quickbeam, and an A. Homer Hilsen. A stripped down Quickbeam is hands down my favorite! Something about a simple bike with the Rivendell magic ride.

Other than that, the demo 650b Hunqapillar at Riv.

ascpgh

May 3, 2018, 8:17:42 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My one and only Orange Rambouillet, freshly back from a seat stay bridge repair.

Velocity rims, Stampede Pass ELs, hammered Honjos under Paul Racers. Still staying comfortably lovely for all day riding.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Patrick Moore

May 3, 2018, 9:27:11 AM5/3/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks, Don; that's useful information.

Christopher Murray

May 3, 2018, 10:20:53 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ve owned six: Ram, Bleriot, Appa, Quickbeam, Rodeo, Roadini. The Roadini just arrived this week and isn’t built yet. Of the remaining five the Bleriot has been my favorite. I’m most excited about the Roadini though. It’s beautiful and simple. I picked it up from James and Candice at Analog during the sale- frame, fork, headset, seatpost, and bb for $745. Will it ride like a Ram and Rodeo? I’m excited to find out.

So the Roadini is my favorite at the moment not for the ride (bc I haven’t ridden it) but for what it could be.

Chris

Wally Estrella

May 3, 2018, 10:24:04 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Past owner of a 62 Sam.  Current @ 64 Atlantis and 64QB.  The 'Beam wins it for me.

lconley

May 3, 2018, 10:38:26 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have had a total of 10, still own 9: 2 @ 56 cm DTT Sams - sold the 1st one - identical frames except the color; 52 cm Bombadil; Rosco Bubbe V1; Protovelo/Protopaloosa/Mystery bike; 57 cm Frank Jones, Sr; 52 cm Clementine; small Hubbuhubbuh; Medium Mountain Mixte - never ridden still building; 60 cm (59 cm?) Betty Foy.
Doesn't include the 47 cm 650b Roadini I ordered last night - building for a friend.

The Bombadil has the most miles on it and the Frank Jones is the most recent build (completed) and most recently ridden.

I'd probably have to go with the Frank Jones, there is just something about the simplicity and elegance of a 1 speed. It is also the one with the most traditional diamond frame, hmmm.....

Laing
Cocoa FL

Patrick Moore

May 3, 2018, 10:43:38 AM5/3/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Christopher: I'm interested to hear your opinion of any differences in handling and "feel" between the Ram and the Roadeo, as I've owned a Ram and am interested in a Roadeo. I thought the Ram felt a wee bit too sedate for my taste.

And: Curious why you bought a Roadini when you have the Ram and Roadeo: what do you hope to get from this that you don't get from the others?

Aside: it is interesting that the model most selected in this thread has been the Quickbeam. If I didn't have 2 Riv fixies already, I'd order one. In other threads, the Atlantis and Sam Hill have been called out.

Roadeo versus Legolas: what's the difference in ride and feel?

I have to say that the Leglolas is the most beautiful model, apart perhaps from that curved, 2X tt Atlantis (which I like to look at but wouldn't want to own). (They got that curved, second tt just right; the bit of asymmetry is perfect.

RichS

May 3, 2018, 10:49:08 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick, I’ll chime in on your question to Don about the Roadeo. Last year I bought a 53cm frame from a list member and finally got it on the road a month or so ago. Not a lot of miles on it yet but the biggest adjustment was the 700c wheels. My other Rivs are a 53 Atlantis (26” wheels) and a 51 Sam (650b).

It’s been years since I rode a 700c road bike so initially the Roadeo had this “big” or tall feeling. I’m so accustomed to the smaller wheeled bikes!

That said, I’m adapting and the transition among wheel sizes is familiar and easier now. The Roadeo is a fun ride and much smoother and stable than my previous 700 wheeled bikes. Tires are 35mm Paselas which eliminates the use of fenders. I’ve carried my yoga mat in a saddle bag along with a few other items and there is no negative effect on the handling.

Love all my Rivs and feel lucky to have three to choose from. Hope you can one day lasso a Roadeo!

Best,
Richard

Surlyprof

May 3, 2018, 10:51:35 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My canti-Hillborne is the best fitting, best riding most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned. The 700c Velocity wheels with Barlow Pass ELs are so wonderful on the road. A sturdier wheelset with Smart Sams radically changes the bike’s personality.

All that said... I’ve ridden the 650b Clem and Hunq test models and, at 5’10”, I think a 650b is ideal. The 650b 1x10 Hunq at HQ would be my favorite. The new MIT Atlantis also had me tempted but the 56 sold out before I could get to HQ for the test ride. Looking forward to hearing more about the rumored fatter tires potentially on the horizon.

...still won’t give up my Sam. It brings a big smile to my face with every ride.

John

Joe Bernard

May 3, 2018, 11:29:51 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Laing, are you the one with the black Bombadil? I saw that bike a few years ago and it's spectacular.

Conway Bennett

May 3, 2018, 11:59:31 AM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like this, it's in the spirit of what's in your garage. I've had a Sam H. (my first Riv but always wished it had canti posts) & a 60 cm orange QB (misrepresented as a 58 cm from the seller). I now have a 56 650b Hunq, 58 cm green QB & a '94 XO-3. My wife has a Rosco Bubbaloosa. I like them all. Each is built different enough but I have been riding the XO-3 this week. It's built up a la Crust Bikes with a dirt drop stem, 46 cm noodles & schwalbe Kojaks. It's real "springy" and different from my other bikes. I recently setup the QB with dirt drops, rode it in my parking garage to tune it, and will be switching back to the albatross cockpit I had on it. I think I'm dialed in for a long time since I have a 26", 650b & 700c bikes. Lots of QB love on this thread and I support that, but every time I start riding a different bike it's refreshing and so I ride it for awhile and repeat the process.

Fair winds,

Captain Conway
www.ChicaGoByBoat.com
833.312.BOAT
@svnightswimming

lconley

May 3, 2018, 12:29:21 PM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

No. My Bombadil is green with diagatube and tentacles. I am currently changing from Bullmoose bars to Randonneur bars. This is the before picture (at the office) not a good picture, but all I have..

Laing

Joe Bernard

May 3, 2018, 12:31:51 PM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
That one's cool, too! (I love Bombadils)

phil k

May 3, 2018, 12:31:59 PM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've owned a Sam Hillborne, Cheviot, Hunqapillar, Soma San Marcos.

I ditched the Riv bikes for a bit with a low trail custom, which I love. But I also got a canti Sam for dirt riding.

Overall, I think the Cheviot was my favorite bike, though I wish it had cantis instead of sidepulls.

[...]

Patrick Moore

May 3, 2018, 1:36:27 PM5/3/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks for the Roadeo input. Odd that you should find it tall; I don't recall my Sam Hill or Ram feeling taller than the 26" custom Roads; they did feel less nimble, and this I think was due to the greater moment of inertial with the taller, and heavier wheels. If I get a Roadeo, it will, for sure, have the lightest wheels and tires I can afford.

Odd, though; the Matthews has wheels that are 29 1/2" tall compared to the 24 3/4" of the Rivs; but I don't feel "tippy" or particularly tall; Chauncey built it with a great deal of bb drop, I guess. I do recall that my earlier '96 Bontrager Race Lite did feel very tall and tippy, and that with 559X55 wheels.

Eli Queen

May 3, 2018, 2:03:58 PM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I only have one, a 51cm red Rosco Bubbe, so it's my favorite. In the year I've had it, it's great for everything I've had the opportunity to do with it. Rocky and rooty MA trails, to a 100k Populaire, VT dirt roads, getting me to and from work. Super stable, never twitchy, but not heavy or sluggish at all. The best thing I can say is that it always encourages me to take the long way ... no matter where I'm going.

Eli
CMB, MA

LBleriot

May 3, 2018, 3:05:48 PM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll play.  I own a Bleriot, a custom 650B, an orange Ram, a Rom, a Roadeo, a Roadini, a Heron Road and a Soma San Marcos (the last two being Riv inspired or designed).  As you can tell, the needle is kinda stuck.  I live on Long Island which is mostly flat and paved but punctuated with steep short hills on the north shore and pot holes galore in Spring.  My favorite is the protovelo Rom.  I don't know why.  They are all built similarly.  The Rom is silver and with only one decal is the cleanest looking-most comfortable-while-sprightly, one of the bunch.  The Heron is a pure joy with its "narrow" 28c tires.  The Bleriot gets the least love although it's the most dressed up with Berthoud fenders, rack and top shelf components.  It looks the part, but is a bit sluggish and has been relegated to winter riding.  The Roadini and San Marcos fight it out for rainy day rides as both are fendered and yet fairly light and snappy.  The creamsicle Ram is just plain fun.

Fullylugged

May 3, 2018, 10:45:45 PM5/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
From MOJO's post

"The Road Standard has a unique quality that is indescribable. It disappears underneath me. It accelerates well, carries light loads well, handles superbly, has no toe overlap. I attribute this to Grant's design for my body and riding style. It is my only bike with caliper brakes. The Road Standard is my favorite Rivendell bike."

I had and sold a Saluki, and still have a Rambouillet to go with my 95 Road (a pre-production sample actually, with level top tube and different dropouts. Same lugs and tubes) I agree that the Road has a super ride and feel. The Reynolds 753, low BB, long stays and Waterford steering all add up to a great ride. Mine is a 650B conversion that I did to fit 38s which add to the ride quality. It is my favorite, The Ram is a lovely bike and great ride too. It's not as lively as the Road and handles more neutrally. The Saluki was like this also. I am liking the Ram more these days with upside down mustache bars and an upright posture. It was always nice, now nicer.

But I vote for the Road. I like GP's early designs, through Glorius & Wilbury best.

Eric Karnes

May 4, 2018, 12:27:33 AM5/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My SimpleOne is not only my favorite Riv, it's my favorite bike of all time. I've yet to find that magical mix of sprightliness and smoothness in any other bike. Just perfect.

Part of me wants to buy another SO or Quickbeam, have a frame builder spread to rear to 126, add standard dropouts, and gear it up. But it would probably make more sense to get a custom when/if I can afford it.

Eric

[...]

Dan Sullivan

May 4, 2018, 2:40:13 AM5/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
In order, no longer own any of them so take this with a grain of salt.

1. Quickbeam. Green 62. By far the one I wish I still had.
2. Redwood. Green 65. Very nice road traditional road bike but I'm not that interested in this type of bike anymore. One of my all-time favorite colors, for bikes or anything else for that matter.
3. Mountain Expedition, burnt orange. Miss this one, although I really don't like 26" wheels anymore so it is probably nostalgia.
4. Hillborne at Riv HQ, liked it.
5. Hunqapillar at Riv HQ. Wanted to like it more than the Hillborne but didn't.
6. Hillborne at my house, bought after riding one at HQ (not the same one).  Did not like it at all, did not really give it a chance. Was in my fast-flip phase of biking; a lot of bikes went in and out without getting a fair shake, this was probably one.

The NewLantis looks really cool, esp. with the curvy tube in my size.  I've downsized to two bikes and haven't bought a new one for a while and won't be, so there ya go.  Old guy prattling on about the old days.

Dan, in rainy WI

Madam Xylene

May 4, 2018, 11:11:06 AM5/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Isn't this kinda like asking which one is your favorite child????

That being said I have a Homer Hilsen and Cheviut that I use for very different purposes.  Cheviut is around town and up Mt. Diablo once in a while. Maybe someday I'll try it on 200K brevet. I can load it up with groceries with racks and bags installed and for around town the upright position can't be beat.

However, I prefer my Homer for longer under 300K rides but it's now racked and bagged to carry lots of stuff so it's my backup around town bike with drop bars that I carry a small watermelon or two, bag of dry cat food and 1/2 gallon of milk et al.

Guess if I could only have one bike and still wanted to do 300K brevets it would be the Homer but if I wasn't doing longish rides the Cheviut is clear winner. It's so much fun to ride the Cheviut downhill and uphill it's bonus workout points.

Eileen

R Shannon

May 4, 2018, 9:06:30 PM5/4/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

Interesting your Riv Road Standard works with 650b wheels. Low bb and no pedal strike? Maybe the 38 size tires compensate?

Thank you very much,
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

Lum Gim Fong

May 4, 2018, 11:48:34 PM5/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
26cm bb with 170mm cranks and you are good to go from my ecperience with Rambouillet 650b conversion. Took 650x42 at 45psi to get bb that high.

A 650b 53 Bleriot is 26cm bb to grnd too with 38mm tires at 45psi.

R Shannon

May 5, 2018, 10:15:55 AM5/5/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Didn’t mean to hijack this thread but thank you Lum and Bruce for the feedback.

All my Rivs are my favorites!

Best,
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 4, 2018, at 11:48 PM, Lum Gim Fong <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 26cm bb with 170mm cranks and you are good to go from my ecperience with Rambouillet 650b conversion. Took 650x42 at 45psi to get bb that high.
>
> A 650b 53 Bleriot is 26cm bb to grnd too with 38mm tires at 45psi.

ascpgh

May 5, 2018, 3:03:30 PM5/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another reason I love my Rambouillet; it makes people speak to me on the road. Once again as I rode this morning someone spoke out to me about my creamsicle orange (and 17 years' patina/beausage). I was trying to take a nominal urban ride but was stumped by the ancillary events to tomorrow's Pittsburgh Marathon, so I demurred to the river trails and headed away from the city with one water bottle as my guide.

I stopped to take a picture of the Kennywood roller coaster to text to our mentee, in her last class of the semester at the moment, because "Kennywood's open" is a longstanding local euphemism for your fly is unzipped. A guy rolls by on a Surly 26" disc trucker with Ortliebs, a Therm-a-rest and Big Agnes stuff sacks, and says "that's way cool".

After I send my picture and get back to riding, I catch up to the guy in a few miles and ask how far he's going.

"Georgetown" he says.

"How many days?" I ask.

"Four or five" He says.

"Camping, B&Bs?" I ask.

"Whatever is there when I'm done" He says.

It was already noon and I knew he was going to be a late arrival to his best options, so I said I'd show him through the confusion between McKeesport and Boston.

He was 21 and a two tour Army combat medic reassigned as a med tech in the Interventional Radiology department at Walter Reed. He was getting pressure to use leave he's accumulated while deployed so he bought a new bike, some gear and a one way car to the Southside hostel. It had been such a nice morning he slept in beyond his imagination and got a very late start.

We talked about smart career planning and military stuff as we rode and I couldn't help but appreciate how my dumb orange bike opened up a conversation and the opportunity to help him through the complex front end of his trip.

Once I had him on the crushed limestone of the GAP in Boston I said farewell, good luck and provided a few suggestions for sources of food, services and hot meals along his way. I texted my wife to tell her my timetable and whereabouts, my water bottle long empty now. I found a fountain back in McKeesport and got back to the business of going home.

I was thoroughly entertained when I caught up to a small woman on a Kuota TT bike going my direction on the trail. I didn't drop in on her but rode to the flank to avoid any accusation of drafting, ringing my bell when upcoming riders were in need of our passing. She acknowledged that with a "thanks". Bells aren't de rigeur on CF TT bikes on low spoke count CF rimmed wheels. When that got boring I passed her and waved.

"That's cool" she said as I rode by.

I think I was around 65 miles when home. I reset to help the through rider estimate his arrival at key trail towns. All my interactions were non-competitive, no implied testosterone and jovial. I've been riding this bike for a long time and it has conditioned me to feel like that's the normal, but folks I ride with always mention how weird all the comments are when we are out on a loop. That is cool.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Deacon Patrick

May 6, 2018, 9:36:35 PM5/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fantastic adventure added to your ride, Andy! I love it.

I am always stunned by how often people comment on my bike, and like you, the folks I ride with say it’s unique to when they ride with me. Today on the trail, a woman running the trail stopped and stepped to the side, and said “great rig! What is it?” “A Rivendell. You heard of Grant Peterson?” “Oh, yeah. The three tubes gives it away. Great bike!”

With abandon,
Patrick

Tim Gavin

May 7, 2018, 9:23:45 AM5/7/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rich-

Like Bruce, I converted my 97 Road Standard to 650b.  650x38 (max width I can fit in the rear) does not fully compensate for 700 x 25.  (622 + 25 + 25)/2 = 336.  (584 + 38 + 38)/2 = 330.  So, a 650x38 wheel will lower the frame 6 mm compared to a 700x25 wheel.  A 650x44 tire would compensate perfectly, but the Riv Road frame won't fit wider than a 38.

Since the Riv Road has 80 mm of BB drop to begin with, it does have problems with the low BB; pedal strike is always a danger.  But the benefit of an ultra-low BB is very, very good handling (and low standover).

I'm just very conscious of where my pedals are--a very useful skill in mountain biking (which I do on other bikes).

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 8:06 PM, R Shannon <rshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bruce,

Interesting your Riv Road Standard works with 650b wheels. Low bb and no pedal strike? Maybe the 38 size tires compensate?

Thank you very much,
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 3, 2018, at 10:45 PM, Fullylugged <bruce.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From MOJO's post
> "The Road Standard has a unique quality that is indescribable. It disappears underneath me. It accelerates well, carries light loads well, handles superbly, has no toe overlap. I attribute this to Grant's design for my body and riding style. It is my only bike with caliper brakes. The Road Standard is my favorite Rivendell bike."
>
> I had and sold a Saluki, and still have a Rambouillet to go with my 95 Road (a pre-production sample actually, with level top tube and different dropouts. Same lugs and tubes) I agree that the Road has a super ride and feel. The Reynolds 753, low BB, long stays and Waterford steering all add up to a great ride. Mine is a 650B conversion that I did to fit 38s which add to the ride quality. It is my favorite,  The Ram is a lovely bike and great ride too. It's not as lively as the Road and handles more neutrally. The Saluki was like this also.  I am liking the Ram more these days with upside down mustache bars and an upright posture. It was always nice, now nicer.
>
> But I vote for the Road.  I like GP's early designs, through Glorius & Wilbury best.

R Shannon

May 7, 2018, 9:38:03 AM5/7/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tim:

Thank you very much for your helpful and detailed reply.

Have a good day!
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

Bruce Herbitter

May 7, 2018, 9:40:16 AM5/7/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The lower top tube let’s me stand over a 54.5 frame instead of the usual 50 cm that a 700 wheel would require. Much better geometry.  Tim is right about the handling.

Sent from my iPhone

David Person

May 7, 2018, 1:30:10 PM5/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My 2 year old Sam.  Love the black and cream color scheme.

IMG_0021 copy.jpg

Todd Ferguson

May 7, 2018, 2:59:58 PM5/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey that was me on the 62 QB which must have been repainted by the previous owner. I'm six months into owning it and am loving it (although considering making it more upright as the reach is a little long).  I also have a 60 Ram in Blue and  have seen you before hauling through LIC on that mixte of yours but I was on my winter bike -- a SOMA Fixed Gear -- so didn't draw your attention.

We will meet again as that is my daily commute.

-- Todd from Brooklyn too.

Kainalu V.

May 7, 2018, 11:20:27 PM5/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice! Pleasure sharing the road with you Todd. I'm usually hitting the Queensboro at 8:40ish, but that day's meeting promised all the coffee and treats I could wolf down before the 9am start, thus the five minutes ahead of late...
I was looking at a photo on here of an orange quickbeam and saw how I may have seen it as a red/cinnamon color. Yours is indeed a different shade? Regardless, killer bike, nicely outfitted. I'll be on the lookout.
-Kai
BK NY

steel lugs

May 8, 2018, 1:04:22 PM5/8/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
“There was no hesitation: Frank won hands down...” (for me, at least).

Cheers mates,

Steelugs

Jim S.

May 14, 2018, 8:32:37 PM5/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've enjoyed this thread - I thought I'd chime in.

I am blessed with four Rivs in the garage right now. Cheviot, Soma San Marcos (which I count as a Riv), Atlantis, and Simpleone. They each have a function.

If the garage was on fire, and I could only rescue one, it'd be the Atlantis because it can do everything.

If I am buying groceries, or if the weather is bad, the Cheviot, as it is fendered and has a large basket.

If I want to go fast, or at least as fast as I can go, it'd be the San Marcos.

But assuming good weather, I find myself picking the SimpleOne most mornings. I like the clean looks. I like the dark green and cream. I think I pedal harder because I have to get some speed as I approach hills. SimpleOne wins.

Ryan M.

May 18, 2018, 12:22:24 PM5/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My first Rivendell was an orange cant Sam Hillborne and I loved it set up with Noodles, 650b freewheel Rivy hub and dyad wheels, and bar end shifters. At that time I ordered an orange Roadeo that I set up with Shimano Ultegra 6800 group with some Rolf Vigor wheels. That bike was fast and comfy and I did a bunch of riding on it. I'm a constant bike switcher so I sold those two bikes and got an Atlantis that I set up to ride trails with. It worked well but I wasn't loading it down enough with gear and I also got a full suspension mtb which started taking all my time. I wound up selling the Atlantis (wish I kept it now).

I have a brand new Appaloosa now that I love. I have it set up with a sort of single speed style with a Paul Melvin and a two ring Silver crank in front that I shift with a thumb friction shifter on some choco-moose bars. The bike is fairly new to me and I only finished the build a week ago, but the two gravel rides I've done on it so far have been wonderful.

I have to say out of the 4 rivs I've owned, my favorite is this Appaloosa even though all of the bikes have been top notch. I would have kept the Roadeo had I stayed riding on the road with the bike club but that kind of riding fell out of favor for me. I like how I have the Loosa set up and it is like riding a limousine on these gravel roads, plus the headbadge is cool.

Garth

May 18, 2018, 3:16:44 PM5/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

    Mine would be the Bombadil !   Hip hip hoooray for the Bomba ! !

It's my all-arounder .   It's also the still the only production Riv that fits me "just right" , and not that stack and reach are included in the geo chart I can see why.

I really like parallel and diagonal TT's compared to diagonals. I find it telling in some way that despite being not for sale as a production bike, it is still listed in every geo chart update.   A lighter tubed road-ish version based on those dimensions with some tweaks like a little longer reach and higher stack and front-center and possibly chainstays and a 71.5 STA ... that's fun !

R Shannon

May 18, 2018, 4:22:00 PM5/18/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Garth,

Bombadils are one of my faves too - even though I don’t own one. When I discovered Rivendell it was the model that had a lot of appeal for me. Loved the name, the head badge, the top tube lug and it’s stoutness.

For some time they had an unpainted prototype for sale that was a bargain. A little small for me but could have worked. I stewed over it and eventually settled on an Atlantis.

The roadish Bomba you describe sounds somewhat like an early Sam. Long top tube, canti brakes and tubes not too heavy or light.

I think it’s cool your Bomba is just right sweet spot for you.

Best,
Richard
Sent from my iPhone

Garth

May 21, 2018, 8:39:44 AM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rich,   Yes, I considered an early version of the Sam but neither the 60 or bit-too-big 64 had the front-center length that the 60 Bomba has.  I pedal midfoot and even with 152mm cranks my toes just barely clear fenders on the Bomba with 45mm tires. When I initially went midfoot I had 185mm cranks and the overlap was comically terminal, so then I went to 175, then 170 and it was still too long. So a "little light bulb" lit, "try some short ones(as in way less than even 165mm)" .... and lo and behold there were some 152mm XD's ....not only did I have clearance but I also found this wonderful balance of both ease of spinning and "power from the butt" so to speak, not something I had ever expected or even knew could be. It was much easier to remain seated when climbing compared to the "conventional-assumptive" long cranks/ball-of-foot pedaling.

   What I meant by "road-ish" is the ability to use any crank or rings. The Bomba is rather limited to 24/36/48 max rings without going to a wider BB and chainline. It's funny but I really like riding in large chainrings, like a 44t min. up to 50t.  While a "gear inch" may be a gear-inch, big rings just feel unique..... I guess 'cuz their big !  :-)

Anyway, the frame I'm describing is something altogether unique, as every frame is !  It's funny how that whatever you have, there always seems to possibly be something "else/more/less". But really.... all anyone "has" is Here and Now. I mean hey .... a not-Here/Now .... is really not-at-all. Here is ever Here and Now ever Now and not ever not.

So ... "here"s"  to "Truth be True and every man a liar ! "

 Ahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaahahah !  !

R Shannon

May 22, 2018, 8:01:28 AM5/22/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Garth, that’s a great story. 185 to 152 crank length is radical. Who would thought! My hat is off to you for the continued experimenting and patience to find that sweet spot.

I’ll take here and now over not

Sent from my iPhone

R Shannon

May 22, 2018, 8:05:47 AM5/22/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ooops! Accidentally hit send before finishing.

Here and Now over not-Here/Now any day!

Best,
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

Tim D

May 25, 2018, 7:52:06 PM5/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My 65cm A. Homer Hilsen. To be fair though, it's the only Riv I own so...
I'll also say my future-purchase-someday-when-I-have-the-money-for-a-new-project 64cm (or maybe a 66cm?) Rambouillet will become my second most favorite.

Mark in Beacon

May 26, 2018, 7:01:22 AM5/26/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
“What’s it all about boy? Elucidate!”
“That’s a joke, I say that’s a joke son.”
“For-I say fortunately I always carry a spare set of feathers.”
“You know there might, I say there just might be a market for bottled duck.”
“That’s what I’ve been – I say, that’s what I’ve been telling you, boy!”
“That dog’s as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel of oatmeal.”
“It’s sure, I say it’s sure quiet around here. You could hear a caterpillar sneakin’ across a moss bed in tennis shoes.”

Oh, wait. Favorite Rivendell. I thought this was the Favorite Foghorn Leghorn sayings thread...

Regarding shorter cranks, I just had a machinist friend re-drill a standard crank down to about that 150 range for my son--very hard to find appropriately proportioned cranks for kids. Trek at one point sold some children's bikes with cranks that had two pedal holes on each arm. There can be benefits to more traditionally sized riders as well. Here's more info on the subject from an
iBOB who offers, or used to offer? shortening services:  http://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/index.html

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 8:39:44 AM UTC-4, Garth wrote:Ahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaahahah !  !

Garth

May 26, 2018, 7:40:36 AM5/26/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
!!!  Smiling !!!!   Viva la Foghorn I say I say  !!

The guy @ Bikesmith, I forgot his name.... offers a great service indeed !   I bought the Andel triple crank arms only from him last year but have not installed them yet. I had him do them in 152mm, but if I had to do-again I'd do a bit shorter  !  They are quite stout.

He also shows various mtb and other triples sold as arms or completes, for those that are wondering.

If anyone needs a 110 double in short lengths, the Origin8 sells arm sets that are perfectly sound and nice looking silver in 5mm increments from 140-175. I have some 150's.  Origin8 also has a 130/74 triple in 145,155 and 165 they sell in shiny silver.  Not 110 ?  Hah ... well, if you want a wide-low crank these are perfectly fine, I believe the Q is in the low-mid 150's with a 113mm BB.  The 130 BCD can go down to 38t, so you can set up a say 24/38/guard minimum as the wide low. You can get these from all over the web retail machine.

There are lots of other 110 double sold as bmx cranks but some had weight limits and I was not familiar with the brands. The Origin8 cranks have been around a long time.