max tire on 650b cheviot w/o fenders?

Philip Kim

Nov 20, 2015, 9:54:14 AM11/20/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone know what the max tire is for 650b cheviot without fenders? Just by pictures it seems like it may fit 650bx48's.

I just ordered dead stock of Cheviot from Riv, and I know the 700 wheeled version can fit 45 smart sams. Is there a similar tire that could fit on the cheviot?

I know Bruce Gordon Rock N Roads will fit, but looking for something with more volume. I'm pretty sure the Hillborne has the same clearances as well, so maybe HIllborne owners can chime in too?

Allingham II, Thomas J

Nov 20, 2015, 12:44:36 PM11/20/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I'm sure the Cheviot has at least as much clearance as the (much earlier) Saluki, and there is room with at least a little to spare in my Saluki for the Compass Switchback Hill 650B x 48mm (nominal, more like 50mm installed).

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

Bruce Gordon

Nov 20, 2015, 1:22:11 PM11/20/15

On Nov 20, 2015, at 9:44 AM, Allingham II, Thomas J <Thomas.A...@skadden.com> wrote:

I'm sure the Cheviot has at least as much clearance as the (much earlier) Saluki, and there is room with at least a little to spare in my Saluki for the Compass Switchback Hill 650B x 48mm (nominal, more like 50mm installed).

If people are looking for 650b x 43mm Rock ’n Road tires - which fit the bike described above - they are available in Skinwall or Blackwall and are Tubeless Compatible

Regards,

Philip Kim

Nov 20, 2015, 1:45:50 PM11/20/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Pudge, your posts on an earlier switchback tire thread made me think it might be possible. Noticed yours were cantis and not the side pull brakes. I think the brakes would limit the clearance more than the fork.

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 12:44:36 PM UTC-5, Pudge wrote:

I'm sure the Cheviot has at least as much clearance as the (much earlier) Saluki, and there is room with at least a little to spare in my Saluki for the Compass Switchback Hill 650B x 48mm (nominal, more like 50mm installed).

Anyone know what the max tire is for 650b cheviot without fenders? Just by pictures it seems like it may fit 650bx48's.

I just ordered dead stock of Cheviot from Riv, and I know the 700 wheeled version can fit 45 smart sams. Is there a similar tire that could fit on the cheviot?

I know Bruce Gordon Rock N Roads will fit, but looking for something with more volume. I'm pretty sure the Hillborne has the same clearances as well, so maybe HIllborne owners can chime in too?

David Banzer

Nov 20, 2015, 4:20:25 PM11/20/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
It'll depend on the reach needed for brakes - set up in the bottom of the slots of Tektro 559s, I easily fit 47mm tires with room for fenders on a different bike. If the brake reach is less - middle of the slots - it might start to get close. Riv says 45mm max for the Cheviot in 650b sizes, but I suspect that you could squeeze in a 48mm tire. The limits would be the brakes at that point - frame probably has enough clearance at fork and chainstays.
David
Chicago

Allingham II, Thomas J

Nov 20, 2015, 4:22:04 PM11/20/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

That makes sense – I didn't think about potential brake limitations.  I love cantis.