Rat trap pass tires on Atlantis

Aaron Young

Sep 2, 2015, 7:23:00 PM9/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
hey gang,

The Rat Trap Pass tires arrived today. They fit with ample clearance on my 56 cm Atlantis. On Velocity Aeroheat rims they measure 47mm. Narrow compared to the Big Bens they replaced (52mm on same rims).

Instapics:

Aaron Young
The Dalles, OR

Patrick Moore

Sep 2, 2015, 7:25:16 PM9/2/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
I'll be curious to learn how much the grow with use. My new Elk Pass tires measure just under 28 mm on narrow rims.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. Carthusian motto

Bill Lindsay

Sep 2, 2015, 7:28:56 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Your Atlantis looks fantastic with Rat Trap Pass tires.  AWESOME!

I just opened my box of RTP as well.  I'll install them tonight and post pics as well.

James Warren

Sep 2, 2015, 8:41:14 PM9/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Aaron,

You have made my day! Now I must order some. I wish there was a 700C version to go on my Atlantis, but a pair just like yours will be going on my PURPLE MB-4!

Thanks and great looking Atlantis,
Jim W.

James Warren

- 700x33

Deacon Patrick

Sep 2, 2015, 9:12:51 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Awesome! Think they can stretch to a 700c wheel if I over inflate them first? Sardonic grin. Note to Jan: let's get some 700c fatty love please!

With abandon,
Patrick

subf...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2015, 9:13:02 PM9/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

These look great. I think i'll grab a pair for my CB-1 Campmmuter. Anyone have a bead on fenders for tires this size? sks has those 65mm size ones and Berthoud makes a SS fender in 60mm (they work great for 650b too btw). Any others?

Jason
SF,CA

Pondero

Sep 2, 2015, 10:11:44 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Excellent! My tan side walls (due to arrive on Thursday) will also be installed on a 56 Atlantis.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

James Warren

Sep 2, 2015, 10:37:03 PM9/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

You guys with 26er Rivs are very lucky to have access to these. I think the Compass tires are ride-enhancing, but the widest I can go is 700x38, because I am too tall for either 26" or 650B Rivs. Even at 38 mm, the Compass tire has become something I rave about. At 47 to 50ish mm, I might lose my composure!

-Jim W.

dougP

Sep 2, 2015, 11:51:59 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, jimcw...@earthlink.net
Hmmm....700 x 45 supple sidewall?  Now that would be interesting.

dougP

EGNolan

Sep 3, 2015, 9:54:17 AM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, jimcw...@earthlink.net
I was gonna wait until my current tires wear out to join the RTP club, but after seeing that 'lantis, I'm thinking I'll find a way to get these NOW.

Patrick Moore

Sep 3, 2015, 10:19:17 AM9/3/15
to rbw-owners-bunch, jimcw...@earthlink.net
Oh, don't stop at 47 -- go at least to 50 and, better, 60. A 700C X 60 Rat Trap would be wonderful.

James Warren

Sep 3, 2015, 10:23:44 AM9/3/15
to Patrick Moore, rbw-owners-bunch

Agreed, provided your frame can fit it. But some older Atlanti and just about all Hillbornes probably couldn't go that wide. Your Fargo would love such width!

hsmitham

Sep 3, 2015, 10:46:14 AM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well they may measure narrower but I suspect the ride will be so plush you'll never consider remounting those BB's. Enjoy the ride.

~Hugh

Dave Johnston

Sep 3, 2015, 8:30:47 PM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

I also installed the Rat Trap Pass Normal version (non-EL) on my 56cm Atlantis today. This is the only bike I have that has a second wheel set. I rarely use this feature though.

The other wheel set has Big Bens and this wheel set had 2.0" Kojaks. Hopefully the Rat Trap will combine the benefits of both. I didn't manage to get a ride in though.

Measurements at 36psi on 22.5mm rims:

Kojak = 44.5mm

Rat Trap Pass = 50mm (1hr after mounting)

Big Ben = 53mm

The Rat Trap were also about 5mm taller than the Kojak

Big Bens:

Rat Trap Pass:

Dave Johnston

Sep 3, 2015, 8:40:29 PM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

I forgot to mention the Big Bens were of the 2.15" variety.

Since we are on the RBW list, I thought I would mention that supple wall tires are not "Riv approved". The folks at Riv HQ prefer more durable tires. To redeem myself to the Riv Gods I'll be keeping the Big Bens on the other wheel set for situations where more durability and a bit more traction is desired.

A couple pictures of the RTP clearances:

jandrews_nyc

Sep 3, 2015, 10:18:05 PM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do we know what the stand over height is on the 56cm Atlantis with the RTP tires?

Dave Johnston

Sep 4, 2015, 6:41:59 PM9/4/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
About 83cm near the midpoint.

-Dave J

Pondero

Sep 4, 2015, 11:17:05 PM9/4/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well then, here's another look at an Atlantis with RTPs...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/28889177@N06/16380e

...for reference purposes. Road testing commences at dawn on Saturday.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

KTY

Mar 5, 2016, 12:29:35 AM3/5/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, 1ce...@gmail.com
Hey Aaron, do you think there's any chance of getting fenders in there with the RTPs? I'd be attempting this on a 2003 Atlantis (still technically an Atlantis 2, I believe).

Dave Johnston

Mar 5, 2016, 8:42:26 AM3/5/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, 1ce...@gmail.com

It might depend on your particular model. on my 56cm there is plenty of room on the rear but its a bit tight under the crown on the front. I'd like to see more room on the front, but it is still more than most sidepull setups. I can't take measurements right now but I can post a photo.

Hugh Smitham

Mar 6, 2016, 12:32:51 PM3/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the picture Dave. So there's more room in the rear? And a calipered measurement would be great. Looks like SKS fenders might work but metal fenders might be a no go?

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

David Johnston

Mar 7, 2016, 2:42:29 PM3/7/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have 13mm or 1/2" between the tire and the bottom of the fork crown
as shown in the picture I posted. There is much more room (greater
than 1") in the rear between the bridges and the tire.

On 3/6/16, Hugh Smitham <hughs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the picture Dave. So there's more room in the rear? And a
> calipered measurement would be great. Looks like SKS fenders might work but
> metal fenders might be a no go?
>
> ~Hugh
>
> “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep
> moving.” ― Albert Einstein
>
> http://velocipeedemusings.com/
>

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Dave Johnston <jdi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NOzlAPQzggY/VtriI6LUxUI/AAAAAAAAAWI/MXk8f6qVj1o/s1600/Atti%2BRatTrap%2BF%2Bclear.JPG>

David Johnston

Mar 7, 2016, 2:53:08 PM3/7/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is what Jan Heine says:

" You need at least 12 mm between tire and fender, plus about 1 mm for
the fender, and another 2-3 mm for the leather washer that cushions
the fender against the frame. This adds up to about 15 mm between tire
and bridges/fork crown. (Better would be about 20 mm.)"

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/does-my-bike-take-fenders/

Hugh Smitham

Mar 7, 2016, 5:07:02 PM3/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Thanks David.

So won't work with these tires. Too bad.

~Hugh