Hunqapillar Drivetrain Upgrade

Keith Muller

Aug 9, 2017, 5:26:47 PM8/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey all!

So I upgraded the drivetrain on my Hunqapillar with a new SRAM Eagle XX1 Kit and a White Industries M30 Crank w/ 38T Ring.  I must say it's solid setup.  I'm excited to get out and do some bike packing with it.  I was comparing gear inches on this setup with the touring setup on my Atlantis.  I lost a little on the top end that I rarely ever us, But I was able to match the low end.  So far I'm happy with the setup.  A few loaded trips will give me the full story.  I've posted some data below for the bike nerds out there.

Keith

BikeHunqapillarAtlantis
Chainrings38T47/36/26T
Cassette10-50T 12 Spd11-34T 9 Spd

Gear Inch Comparison

HunqAtlantis
38473626
10110.5411123.794.768.4
1292.2113104.680.157.9
1478.831590.769.550.2
1669.23178061.344.3
1861.38206852.137.6
2152.652359.145.332.7
2445.962652.340.128.9
2839.563045.334.725.1
3234.61344030.622.1
3630.83
4226.18
5022.11

Speed Comparison - Based on a 29 X 2.3 Tire pedaling at 90rpms

HunqAtlantis
MphMph
Highest Gear29.6Highest Gear33.3
Lowest Gear5.9Lowest Gear5.9
IMG_1179.JPG

Daniel Jackson

Aug 9, 2017, 5:37:06 PM8/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is rad.

Bill Lindsay

Aug 9, 2017, 5:50:45 PM8/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
110 gear inches is plenty for most people.  Jan is a stronger rider than 99% of people, and he claims he has never been dropped on a descent due to not having a high enough gear, and his top gear is 90 gear inches.  48x14.  By my reckoning you lost nothing by losing your 123 inch gear.  You discarded the correct part of your gear chart, IMO.

I'm about to run that M30 crankset on my mountain bike.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

dougP

Aug 9, 2017, 5:53:16 PM8/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Keith:

Somehow I doubt you'll miss the top gear.  Given the 500% spread on the cassette, I'd be tempted toward an even smaller chainring, but that's from an old guy who has been known to push his bike up hills.  Be interesting to hear about the longevity of the chain.

dougP

Jay Connolly

Aug 9, 2017, 8:54:10 PM8/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been tempted to put the Eagle groupset on my Jones, but lately I've spent all my money on Rivs. The new Eagle GX will be in out in the fall, I think.

Jay

Geeter

Aug 10, 2017, 5:08:05 PM8/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is awesome.  My Jones has an XT 1x11 kit and I love the triple/friction setup on my Hunq but the application for the Eagle seems real.

Irreguleur

Aug 10, 2017, 5:40:10 PM8/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm relatively new to the group, and as such may have missed a past thread on the topic - but what are the benefits to a 1x setup? They seem to be rising in popularity, yet at first glance it seems limiting and expensive. Is the rear wheel dished more? How does that effect longevity? Is it worth not having a second shifter? What am I missing...

Irreguleur

Aug 10, 2017, 5:45:58 PM8/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Should've mentioned that it looks wicked cool at first glance too!

Patrick Moore

Aug 10, 2017, 6:12:24 PM8/10/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
12? On the Rivendell list? Who'd a' thunk??

Seriously, I have no complaint with 12, as long as it doesn't involve electric shifting and computers, and as long as it last a reasonable number of miles. I'll be interested to hear how 11 and 12 (and for that matter, 10, to which I changed from 9 not too long ago) last compared to, say, oh, 8 or 7.

127" gear? Wow, you are much better off now than before and I, if it were my bike, would drop the gear to something no higher than 100; my only derailleur bike tops out at 86 gi, and my highest geared road bike tops out at 76" (because it's a fixie with a 76 high/67 low). I can easily hit 30 in a 76, at least for a quarter mile or so, and I several times hit 37 1/2 in a 75" gear and twice 48 in a 96" gear, back when my gofast derailleur bike topped out at 48/12 X 24" wheel (559 X 23 mm). 30 in a 76" gear is only a wee bit above 130 r's pm, which is quite easy on a downhill or with a strong tailwind.

Irreguleur ja...@harring.nyc via googlegroups.com asked about the longevity and dish of a 12 speed rear wheel. And I'll add, what is the OL spacing? I too will be interested in hearing about the dish.

I seem to recall a post not too long ago, on this or the iBob list, showcasing a young adventure rider who shifts 12 SRAMs in back with a friction shifter. Can anyone recall that thread? If it's possible to shift 10 using high-leverage shifter and derailleur, I should think that 12 would be possible with a more modern, lower-leverage system -- say, Silver shifters and a modern rd.

Patrick Moore, who just had a nice 20 miler in breezy, moderately warm ABQ, NM in that 76" gear.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes, etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at patric...@resumespecialties.com. Thanks.

Patrick Moore

Aug 10, 2017, 6:28:35 PM8/10/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
To reply to Jacob's question: I've never used a 1X system with more than 5 or 7 cogs in back, but I have used many pseudo 1X9s and, now, 10, but these really being "1 plus hardly ever used granny." That is, the drivetrain is for all practical purposes, and for 95%+ of the riding, a 1X system. If set up right, this has the advantage that you don't have to shift rings, and therefore, usually, multiple rear cogs as followup, to maintain serial gear ratios. I discovered this when I had a Fargo with a standard X2D triple (46/36/24) X 7: the big ring was fine for pavement and flat dirt, but get into dirt and hills, and I was always having to shift between big and middle ring. A wide range double cured that -- far nicer to ride. Again, the 24 was just along for most rides, but comforting in a psychological way when one knew it was there "just in case."

I suppose that a 1X system takes this to the next level -- all your gears, including those tiny ones in the low 20s that I personally never use, at the flick of the right hand.

Here's the 1X12 drivetrain I'd like on my "road bike for dirt", 28.5" tires:

44
14 90
15 84
16 78
17 74
18 70
19 66
20 63
22 57
24 52
28 45
34 37
42 30

The  system actuel:

  42 28
14 86
15 80
16 75
17 70
18 67 44
19 63 42
20 60 40
22 54 36
24 50 33
28 43 29

Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes, etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at patrickmoore@resumespecialties.com. Thanks.

Keith Muller

Aug 10, 2017, 6:53:04 PM8/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill and all,

I've been really pleased with the M30 Crankset.  Definitely a great option for your MTB.

After some riding.  The gear range is more than appropriate for the riding that I do.  I think the Eagle GX is a great budget option for people, but there are fewer hub options because of the XD driver body.

The gear range is in no way limiting.  I do acknowledge that the Eagle XX1 kit is expensive, if I was on a tighter budget, I would go with the Eagle GX kit.  Durability we will see about.  I did run a 11-speed XX1 kit on my MTB and had no issues on the durability front.

As for wheel dish.  The has the exact same dish as any modern cassette body hub.  OLD on the rear hub is 135mm.  The way the cassette is designed, the last couple cogs are dished in over the drive-side hub flange.

As always, gearing is a personal preference in some regards.  This setup works really well for me and my needs/desires.  Simplified on the gear selection, choices are 1-12.  Less parts to deal with, and a cleaner setup in my eyes.

Keith

Bill Lindsay

Aug 10, 2017, 7:04:17 PM8/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for that endorsement of the crankset.  My 1x11 parts are Shimano XT which is also pretty affordable.  I think I'll keep the 2x10 running until after I'm finished with my 200 miles on 10 bikes challenge.

BL in EC

Jim Bronson

Aug 10, 2017, 8:11:10 PM8/10/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is pretty awesome for a bike packing or touring bike.

I think for brevet usage though, I'd still want a double and have the cassette more closely spaced.  Ideally for a brevet the more cruising gears you have between 65 and 85 gear inches, the better.

I think a 11-30 12 speed with a 38/24 Clem crankset up front would be the bees knees for Randonneurs.

signature goes here

Clayton

Aug 11, 2017, 11:05:10 AM8/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

To answer Irreguleur's question:  One of the biggest advantages to getting rid of the front derailleur are;  Weight. You are getting rid of a shifter, the front derailleur, one or two chainrings and their bolts, and cables and housing. You also never have to worry about cross chaining, chain drop, front cable replacement, multiple ring replacements or listening to your chain on bumpy terrain when you accidently have your chain in the small, small. My son gave me a new 1X11 SramXX group for Christmas and I have not missed my front derailleur at all. I put a little deer antler crown on my unused downtube shifter mount to protect my leg. I had to make a few changes to how the shifter mounts on drop bars, but I am quite happy with my ergonomic changes. It is easier to operate from the drops than brifters. If I had the money, I might consider getting Srams single ring road gruppo.

Clayton (Bendite)

Justin, Oakland

Aug 11, 2017, 2:35:33 PM8/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Clayton

Aug 12, 2017, 10:33:39 AM8/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Thanks for the tip J. I  run my drop bars very high so I can be in the drops most of the time.  I tried the Paul adapter but didn't like the fact the shifter was so far away from where my hands normally were. The only place I could find on my WTB drop bars for that adapter was up top near the stem. This mount works perfectly for my needs.

clayton bailey

Aug 12, 2017, 10:38:02 AM8/12/17