Ride Report: Little Silver Clem

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Oct 28, 2018, 6:58:42 PM10/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

Ride Report: Little Silver Clem

In the spirit of this List, I’ve decided to extract a ride report from 12 year old Ethan, who has been riding his 45 cm Clem Smith Jr. for 8 days. We got the saddle and bars dialed in exactly on Day One. The other days have consisted of the school commute, rides to the park and around the neighborhood hunting fall colors and letting the wind blow in our hair. If you haven't read the original story of how this little bike came to be, it can be found under A Boy, A Bike, and A Benefactor in this Google Group.

Q: How would you describe the look of your Little Silver Clem? What are your favorite parts of the bike?

My Silver Clem looks absolutely perfect. I love the colored spoke ends, my lug, and the saddle. I love the spoke ends because of their multi-color personality. I like the design and creativity of the lug. And the saddle is awesome because it has copper hammered into it and is real leather!

Q: How does it feel to be one of the only 12 year olds in the world to have a Rivendell bicycle?

It feels special and delights me every time I think of it. I don't want to tell other kids because they might wreck it, or may try to steal it. I feel bad for kids who have bikes that are too big or too small and can't enjoy biking like I can. I do feel pressure to keep it perfect; I'm scared of putting it in the rack.

Q: How do you feel about the:

1. Ride of your bike?

           It feels smooth, and whenever I stop moving my pedals, the bike makes a satisfying clicking sound. The wheels are fat and make a whirring sound. It doesn't slide; it feels stable.

2. Neutral position of your hands after years of flat bars?

           It's a big change, and feels awkward. But now that I've ridden it a bit more, I've gotten used to it and I'm starting to like it. I also love my cork grips and I shellacked them myself; I'm kind of proud of them.

           I like the shifters on my bike; they're different from the ones I had on my previous bike. They don't have any numbers to show what gear I'm in so I do it by feel, and it's all the more fun to try to figure it

           out.

3. Weight of the bike? You are only 71 pounds, and this is a big bike.

           I don't mind it. If I get a rack and start carrying my own stuff, I might notice.

Q: Was there anything you really had to get used to on your Clem?

The handles and the gears. Definitely. Lifting my leg over the bar and the having to wear down my saddle because it was super stiff.

Q: Who is prettier? The Little Silver Clem or TBBITW (The Best Bike in the World, my Betty Foy)? Be careful how you answer this.

I'll say the Betty Foy because my bike is not pretty. It is a stallion, not a pony. It in no way is close to beautiful, pretty, or gorgeous. It is handsome and manly.

Q. How do you feel the Little Silver Clem handles the hilly country in which we live?

It's a little scarier to ride downhill since I'm getting used to my bike, but I'll get the hang of it. Uphill feels the same!

Q: Would you say your mother looks 10 years younger when she test rides the Little Silver Clem? You would say it imparts to her a fun, girlish quality, wouldn’t you? WOULDN’T YOU?!?

This is a trap. I plead the 5th.

Q: Who do you think would win a race up Killer Hill? The Little Silver Clem or TBBITW?

My Silver Clem because I'm more competitive than you.

Q: Where would be your ideal place to ride your Little Silver Clem?

Smooth, flat land. Cities would be great because you can get from place to place. You have a destination and there's stuff to explore in the city. It could have bike lanes!

Q: You have had an awful lot of kindness come your way these past weeks. Mostly in the form of boxes containing a bike all the best things to adorn your bike with. What is it like to find yourself given such treasures?

It's immensely humbling and I'm grateful for all I've received. I feel fortunate to have such a kind benefactor and kind people send these presents - it's like Christmas!

Q: Do you think you would like to be someone’s benefactor someday? How can you be sure not to let these kindnesses end with you?

I would. I would like to continue the joy I've been given. I think my bike will be a standing reminder of the kindness I've received and that I can be the one to light up someone's world.

Q: What would you like to say to the RivPeople who have been so good to you?

I would like to thank them and acknowledge the great things they've done for me. I didn't believe at first that a stranger could be kind enough to give someone they don't know a present so valuable. Now I know just that is possible.

IMG_7053.jpeg
IMG_7063.jpeg
IMG_7172.jpeg

Doug H.

Oct 28, 2018, 7:10:09 PM10/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, makes me appreciate the little things about a bicycle. Thank you for sharing this awesome story and you obviously have a smart young man wise beyond his years on your hands Leah.
Doug

DarinM

Oct 28, 2018, 7:36:01 PM10/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great interview, sounds like he's hooked! He also seems very aware and grateful for the generosity that came his way. It's great to see a bike bringing such joy!

Darin

C Sharp

Oct 28, 2018, 7:45:38 PM10/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lovely ride report, Leah! Thanks for sharing! I echo Doug's sentiments -- glad to know that someone like Ethan gets to enjoy such a bike!

Joe Bernard

Oct 28, 2018, 9:09:40 PM10/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
"It is a stallion, not a pony."

I love that kid! 😁

Patrick Moore

Oct 28, 2018, 9:47:50 PM10/28/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Leah: great overview and interview, though I do think I heard some leading questions. Anyway, nice bike, nice kid, at least to judge both by looks.

Patrick "are 12-year-olds really that small?" Moore

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

dougP

Oct 28, 2018, 10:50:37 PM10/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah:

Thanks for following up on the adventure.  I really like his comment on the shifters:

"They don't have any numbers to show what gear I'm in so I do it by feel, and it's all the more fun to try to figure it"

For people who can't imagine friction shifting:  A 12yo figured it out & likes it because it's fun.  That must have put some smiles on faces at Rivendell.

dougP

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Oct 28, 2018, 11:00:53 PM10/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, most 12 year olds aren’t as small as Ethan, and the same can be said of my younger son for his age. Maybe if I bought meat fed/treated with hormones and antibiotics? More sugar? I don’t know, but these have been my theories. The genes on both sides code for tall people, so I think he’ll get there eventually!

Also, leading questions?! I would never!

ascpgh

Oct 29, 2018, 8:42:44 AM10/29/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
A humbling, positive review from a source of both insight and the good fortune not to have a life's inhibition giving hesitation to his frankness. I hope he keeps that perspective and sees the reward of his unfiltered observations.

Great people are in all shapes, bikes can have all sorts of sizes and builds for them. What your twelve year old has is a bike big enough and strong enough to convey his heart and spirit.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

in Dallas nick

Oct 29, 2018, 11:39:08 AM10/29/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I love this whole story.

Glad to see he's enjoying it.

I occasionally get to ride bikes with my grandsons and love seeing the smiles
on their faces while riding.
Puts a smile on my face as well riding with them.

This story puts a smile on my face also.

Paul in Dallas

Shoji Takahashi

Oct 29, 2018, 12:27:09 PM10/29/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks a million for this ride report and interview. Warms my heart and inspires me.

Tailwinds,
Shoji
Arlington MA

Patrick Moore

Oct 29, 2018, 2:21:21 PM10/29/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed that the children of Asian immigrants often reach Anglo-American size after being raised on Anglo-American diets; don't know if this is due to hormones and chemicals or simply to meat and dairy (I'm half Asian; my 17 y o daughter, 3/4 Asian, -- Chinese, Filipina, WASP --is 5'7" with Anglo and not Asian build). And some children grow fast, others more slowly. I reached 5'7" by the time I turned 13, 5'9" before 15, and grew 1-2 more inch/es thereafter, while my brother, almost 6 years younger, was much smaller at 12 and 14, and then passed me at a 2-inch-per-year rate for a couple of years thereafter -- he's now 6'2" or 3".

Bike content: Parents and children and bicycles. My father was a B 17 waist gunner (shooting 50 calibers out of a hole in the side of the plane at 25K feet over Germany) and toured the southern English countryside on a bicycle on off duty hours. He later bought an "English racer" for commuting as a GI-bill student at GW in WDC. He bought me several bikes, but that which most stands out is the 3/4-size DL-1 clone, made by Hero, for my 11th birthday; even more, the upgrade for bday 12, with full scarlet paint, gold pinstriping, and mirabile dictu (Bangalore, 1967, twas a total tech backwater) a AW hub.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:00 PM Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, most 12 year olds aren’t as small as Ethan, and the same can be said of my younger son for his age. Maybe if I bought meat fed/treated with hormones and antibiotics? More sugar? I don’t know, but these have been my theories. The genes on both sides code for tall people, so I think he’ll get there eventually!

Also, leading questions?! I would never!

Doug H.

Oct 29, 2018, 2:32:14 PM10/29/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think too kids just have growth spurts at different ages. My younger son was shorter than average until his senior year of high school and now at 20 he’s about 6’1”. His older brother was taller than average until high school and is now 5’11” at 24. Go figure.
Doug

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Oct 29, 2018, 3:02:16 PM10/29/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
You guys are so fun! I knew you’d be good sports and indulge us in a drift from the typical ride report. This kid loves his Clem; it has not been wasted on him.

It’s Monday, so the first day back for our commute. Oh, he was jazzed today; my husband was driving to work at the exact time we left the house, so the boys wanted to race him for as long as they could. I had to hang back with the littler guy (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it) but Ethan was tearing up the path on that little Clem. My husband played along until traffic interfered, then he sped up and left us. Meanwhile, all the adrenaline was still pumping through Ethan, and now he was outright peacocking. He stood straight up on his pedals and bombed downhill far ahead of us, pleased as punch with himself the whole way. I told myself I’d throttle him later, provided he lived through this commute. He reached the crosswalk far ahead of us, looking all wind blown and sleek on his beautiful Rivendell bicycle, the secret jewel of the campus bike rack, hoping everyone was noticing his superior athleticism and bike-handling prowess. He had done his best showboating for the neighborhood - and then pushed the button for the wrong direction at the crosswalk. My younger son was only too happy to point this out, and we roared with laughter at Ethan’s expense. Humble pie for breakfast! The only kind I can endorse!

Leah Peterson

Oct 29, 2018, 10:44:54 PM10/29/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I love that you ride with your grandsons. It’s a great way to spend time together and to stoke their love for cycling - toss in something fun like a library trip or an ice cream cone and you’ll have little biking pals for life. But you already do this, I’m sure of it. ❤️

Sent from my iPad

Matt Argomaniz

Oct 30, 2018, 12:52:18 AM10/30/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's great to see a young dude who can appreciate quality goods and the generosity of others. This made my day.

in Dallas nick

Oct 30, 2018, 2:40:57 PM10/30/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Definitely on the ice cream!

Often ice cream is the reward or sometimes the reason for a ride.

Over Saturday and Sunday I got in 60 miles over the two days and didn't feel one bit of guilt for having ice cream at the end.

Paul in Dallas, will ride for ice cream or good pie, or both on same ride.
Ha!