Jones Bar on a Clem H, Appaloosa, or Yves Gomez?

tc

Feb 3, 2018, 12:11:00 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can anyone share their experience driving a Clem H or Appa or Yves Gomez with a Jones Loop or Bend H-Bar?

Thanks,
Tom

Joe Bernard

Feb 3, 2018, 1:07:01 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had the riser 2.5 Loop (660mm) on my Clem L and really liked it. Clems have long (virtual) toptubes commensurate to seattube size so I used a shorty 40cm Thomson stem on a V-O quill adapter.

I was just pondering last night that I should sell the cockpit because I sold the Clem and currently don't have a bike to put this bar on. If you think you might want to try one without paying full pop for new, PM me or text at 415 seven eight six 46 two three and I'll send pics of it off the bike.

Here's pics on the Clem.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QDiNsiAcGmMVxmTy1

Joe Bernard
Novato CA.

Joe Bernard

Feb 3, 2018, 1:08:47 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oops, those pics don't show the Thomson stem. I ordered it later.

Jeremy Till

Feb 3, 2018, 4:40:36 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my Clem w/ Jones loops:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZbygMVlv_a/

If you search around you can find my comments on them in other threads (including the current one about Clems and Appas as MTBs), but the short answer is they're awesome.

Ryan Thompson

Feb 3, 2018, 5:00:40 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jeremy,

Your CLEM is awesome!

Ryan
Arlington, VA

Kevin Lindsey

Feb 3, 2018, 6:03:39 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been looking at the Loop for my Hunqapillar, but can't figure out how to get it onto a quill stem.  I'm assuming you can't do that for a Loop, but how did you guys replace your stems with threadless ones?
Thanks,
Kevin Lindsey
Alexandria, VA

Joe Bernard

Feb 3, 2018, 6:14:36 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kevin, if you zoom in on my Clem you can see that black threadless stem (I know it's ugly, I replaced with a nice shiney Thomson) mounted on top of a Velo-Orange quill adapter. It's this thing: https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-threadless-stem-adaptor

Jeremy Till

Feb 3, 2018, 7:00:14 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Velo orange now makes a quill stem with a 31.8mmm bar clamp and a removable faceplate. That is what I used to mount the Loop bars on my Clem. As Joe said, the other way to do it would be a threadless stem on a quill to threadless adapter.

Kevin Lindsey

Feb 3, 2018, 9:05:04 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ah.  Perfect.  I knew there had to be something like that out there somewhere but, until now, was too lazy to track it down.  I'll shoot VO an order in the morning.
Many thanks,
Kevin Lindsey
Alexandria, VA

tc

Feb 3, 2018, 9:27:27 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all!  Sweet bikes.  Got a grilver 59 clem h today and can't wait to play around with diff bars.  The VO threadless stem adapter + stem with removable faceplate is a smart-lookin solution.....

a spens

Feb 3, 2018, 10:29:03 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Alternatively, you might consider a much cheaper option to try the Surly Open Bar  ( https://surlybikes.com/parts/handlebars/open_bar  )  I installed one on my Clem and really like it.  It's very similar to the original Jones bar in sweep angle and length but with 25.4 clamp diameter. I considered he V-O set up, but the swap is quite a bit more involved and more expensive for not much gained (IMHO). I could take a pic of the two bars superimposed on each other for comparison, if helpful.
Al

Joe Bernard

Feb 3, 2018, 11:00:11 PM2/3/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Surly may be similar to the original Jones, but not the current Loop. Loop has hand positions near the stem and far forward, as well as the standard grip position on the ends. There's any number of cheaper bars out there if you just want the ends position.

Jay Connolly

Feb 4, 2018, 7:35:33 AM2/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had the Jones on my Appaloosa and loved it. When I bought a Clem L, I moved the bar to that bike and put a Noodle bar on the Joe, but I’m a tinkerer, so I’ll probably go back one of these days.

Jay

Rusty Click

Feb 4, 2018, 11:33:52 AM2/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe, I was thinking about the Jones for the upcoming Atlantis build.  What do you think of that, versus the Albatross?

Joe Bernard

Feb 4, 2018, 12:03:22 PM2/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rusty, it depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing. Albatross is a nice city bar for cruising, but you better like the upright position near the ends 'cause that's realistically the only one available. I've used them a bunch and like them, but I don't recommend going on a long, wind-blown ride with Albas and they're just about useless on sketchy downhill dirt sections.

Loop is the business for long, mixed-terrain rides because the hand positions give you options for gripping at the ends like Alba; moving forward to stretch out and get lower in the wind; and having a more secure, controlled grip for dirt downhills.

The last - and very important consideration - is how you feel about the looks and stem requirements. I originally intended to put my Loop 2.5 cockpit on my new Cheviot, but I made a conscious decision to focus this bike as a townie 2-speed with a specific look..I opted for a long quill Nitto stem and flipped-and-chopped Choco bars. This setup looks and works great for how I ride this bike, but I wouldn't want to tour or hit singletrack with it.

tc

Feb 4, 2018, 12:39:49 PM2/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agree, Joe.  The Jones Loop H-Bar's beauty (well, some say it's ugly) is the number of realistic and comfortable hand positions ... while giving very confident control on or off road.  I also like the convenience that the Jones H-Bar Pack (made by Revelate) offers.

Researching this morning I found that, in addition to the VO 31.8 stem options, there are quite a few others -- both  2- and 4-bold designs -- like the 4-bolt Nitto UI-12.

Nitto UI-12 Quill Stem

Joe Bernard

Feb 4, 2018, 12:49:49 PM2/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, those quill open-clamp designs will work if you can find one short enough. Jones Bikes are designed to work with that bar on a shorty stem, and my Clem L had the same cockpit parameters. The only way I was getting a 40cm stem was to go threadless.

Dale Click

Feb 4, 2018, 4:57:52 PM2/4/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This must be an “all-rounder” bar for me.  No single track anymore, but anything else is fair game.  My noodles have sufficed for everything so far, but I’m looking at options. I like the out on the hoods position for longer rides, and try to change hand placement often even though I currently have no hand issues.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:49 PM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, those quill open-clamp designs will work if you can find one short enough. Jones Bikes are designed to work with that bar on a shorty stem, and my Clem L had the same cockpit parameters. The only way I was getting a 40cm stem was to go threadless.

tc

Feb 4, 2018, 11:27:23 PM2/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, true.  The shortest reach/extension offered on the Nitto UI-12 is a 60, and from there they go up by 10mm increments to a 120.  The column is only 140mm tall, so you'd have to want the bars sorta low.

Irving

Feb 5, 2018, 12:47:08 PM2/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I put on the VO quill stem (get the nickel! it's really purty) and some Jones H-Bars on my Hunqapillar and it has been FUN

Joe Bernard

Feb 5, 2018, 12:58:06 PM2/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice! I love those grey/kidney bean Hunqas.

tc

Feb 5, 2018, 1:42:46 PM2/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cool, Irging!  What length reach did you get?  Have you had it long enough to experience or speculate if the 2 bolts are sufficient to lock those bars down during rougher riding?

Irving

Feb 5, 2018, 2:04:54 PM2/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got the 90mm but am rethinking that maybe 80mm may have been the better choice. I haven't had any issues with the 2 bolts or the stem flexing but have only tested it on a short singletrack and off road loop this weekend. I supposed the 4 bolt Nitto quill 31.8 is more secure but it's much shorter so you'll have to determine if it has enough extension for you.

Clayton.sf

Feb 6, 2018, 9:38:40 AM2/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have found 31.8 bars to slip less at same torque values than 26 or 25.4. Maybe a function or greater surface area being clamped? While I don't care much about the stiffness gains, less slipping is welcome. For extra bad cases some friction paste usually sold for carbon bits helps.

Clayton Scott
ST, CA

Ash

Feb 6, 2018, 11:09:45 PM2/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I tried 2.5 Loop my Appa for two weeks and then gave it up.

Now I have Bosco and quite happy with it.

In the past I've tried ChocoMoose, Alba and a few other alt bars.

I'd have enjoyed Jones if my peddling effort were to be heavier.

My ride is 60% with slightly extra effort, 30% completely  relaxed (this is when I like to be fully upright) an 10% of the times pushing hard.

Of all the bars I've tried (about 7 so far), Bosco gives the most real estate, which makes multiple positions possible.

tc

Mar 2, 2018, 6:31:08 PM3/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ordered a Jones Loop and also installed a Nitto UI-12 stem with a 60mm reach and love it!  Cables now need to be shortened, and grips added, but man it really transformed the Clem from a toodler to a more performance oriented, but still very comfortable machine.