ROADINI tease on the BLUG

Bill Lindsay

Oct 7, 2016, 3:02:36 PM10/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
His first name is Leo.  He apparently has paws.  Your Roadini that you buy next summer may have a fake panel.  So far, nothing not to like

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Irving

Oct 7, 2016, 4:00:22 PM10/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Who you callin' "semi-destitute"!?!?

Chris Birkenmaier

Oct 7, 2016, 4:29:38 PM10/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I sure don't need another bike but this has my interest. Anxious to see what they come up with.

Rod Holland

Oct 7, 2016, 4:32:07 PM10/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wonder what the max tire width will be. Jolly if they were compatible with Snoqualmie Passes...Won't hold my breath for that, of course.

rod
Message has been deleted

Tim Gavin

Oct 7, 2016, 5:42:31 PM10/7/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My prediction for the Leo Roadini is a bike with similar dimensions to the Roadeo, but using less-expensive TIG construction and Silver tubing.

Perhaps it will be a bit more relaxed, resulting in geometry between a Roadeo and a Sam H.

The Roadeo already clears a 700 x 38 tire under medium-reach brakes (47-57 mm), which is pretty generous for a road-oriented bike (in my opinion).  Mine rides great on 700 x 32 Compass Stampede Pass tires, with room for fenders (if I want them).

Sounds like a great bike: a pavement-oriented road/sport-touring bike at a Clem pricepoint (assuming).  A Surly Pacer with Riv design, more or less.
Something like that would be a great bike for many of the riders I know currently on aluminum major-manufacturer road bikes.  If a fraction of those folks buy a Leo Roadini, it should be a success for Rivendell.

ted

Oct 7, 2016, 9:38:10 PM10/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
What Tim suggests seems reasonable though it might be tiwan lugged and to the rodeo as the Sam is to the Hilson. If it is tiged then it sounds a lot like a black mountain cycles road frame.

CMR

Oct 8, 2016, 1:50:19 AM10/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm curious how it will differ from the San Marcos, already a great road bike at a lower price point.

Tim Gavin

Oct 8, 2016, 11:12:24 AM10/8/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
CMR- that's a good point, and Ted suggests the same (Taiwan, lugged).

I understand that the issue with the San Marcos was basically the same problem with the Bleriot: non-Riv dealers carry the bike, and can offer their own discount pricing (undercutting Riv).

Riv could certainly do another Taiwan-sourced lugged frame for the Leo Roadini (like the Romulus). That would be my preference, but I'm out of the market since I have a Roadeo.

Personally, I predict something more Clem-ish in construction, which would be similar to a Black Mountain road frame (but with Riv design).

-Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 7, 2016, at 7:17 PM, CMR <cmiller...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm curious how it will differ from the San Marcos, already a great road bike at a lower price point.

William R.

Oct 8, 2016, 3:24:20 PM10/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes! I will follow the development of the Roadini closely. I have most of the parts for a road bike. Generous clearances will always be welcome. Down tube shifter bosses? Ok! Will they have a frame only option? Probably not at first, but eventually, I could be in.

Bill in Westchester, NY

Ryan Ray

Oct 9, 2016, 6:41:44 PM10/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interested as long as the bigger sizes have a single top tube!

John Hawrylak

Oct 11, 2016, 7:48:41 PM10/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
If Leo Roadini is good, Dobie Gillis (Rodin Thinker statue) would be better.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Belopsky

Oct 12, 2016, 8:47:51 AM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Will be paying some attention, but all depends..Riv frames aren't exactly cheap, and if it is a TIG'd Taiwanese frame I'd be looking at a Gunnar instead

Belopsky

Oct 12, 2016, 8:50:31 AM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
If it's a road bike at Clem price point, I may be interested.

Grant @ Rivendell

Oct 12, 2016, 12:51:42 PM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Rodin theme was too obvious to adopt, but it was always in the background. It'll likely be a frame only, but we're thinking about whole bike, and that's not ruled out. Maybe some of each. It may follow CLEM and have a seat lug. Sam is already a good road bike, but the clearances big you to fill them up with a huge "road?" tire, and Rodini won't allow that. Up to 35mm, probably.
Our bike certainly are not inexpensive, but they cannot possibly be any less expensive without do-featuring/de-cooling them or replacing the staff with wealthy philanthropists or unemployables!
I think Will and Roman picked the colors. Same sizes as Sam.

Belopsky

Oct 12, 2016, 12:54:07 PM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Same as in, 51,55,58,62? Will be interesting to see this - I imagine we're months out from more info

Ryan Ray

Oct 12, 2016, 1:13:27 PM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Road 700x44 would be reeeaaalllly nice :)

- Ryan

Belopsky

Oct 12, 2016, 2:06:18 PM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Grant just said ~35mm

Grant Petersen

Oct 12, 2016, 3:54:41 PM10/12/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Road 700x44 is Sam.
Roadini is a cheap Rodeo, for the most part. It'll fit med-reach (around 54-55mm) brakes.
(I use "cheap" in a celebratory, not degrading way!)

Sidepulls (or Paul bolt-on)

B/O for Mark's Rack, but single rear eyelet below, so as not to encourage the fashionable monster front loads.

Big picture addition is: Let's say you've got your everyday commuter-trail-tourish bike with fenders, racks, kickstand, basket, voodoo dolls and stuffed animals, and you love the bike, and you end up doing this to all of your bikes (this is autobiographical, but it works that way for a lot of people here, and probably out there, too). Well, at some point, the bike should force you to rein it all in---not as much as a track bike or a Cervelo-type bike, but a little, and the Roadini will. Two eyelets in the rear, one in front, midfork, mid seat stay.

Completes will be doubles, and we're hoping they'll all be cheap enough to allow people who even KIND of want one to get one.

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 12:51:42 PM UTC-4, Grant @ Rivendell wrote:
[...]

Belopsky

Ryan Ray

Oct 12, 2016, 5:41:33 PM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I always forget Sams go up to 44... Hmm...

- Ryan

Surlyprof

Oct 12, 2016, 11:24:24 PM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
And even 45 Smart Sams if you wanna get dirty.

John

Bob K.

Oct 13, 2016, 10:32:57 AM10/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had Schwalbe Marathons in 47 on my (canti) Sam for a while. I don't have a fancy digital caliper to tell you actual width, though I'd guess they measure quite a bit under 47.

Bob

drew

Oct 13, 2016, 11:15:36 AM10/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
i had 50's that measured 48. they weren't even a tight fit.

Alfred Womack

Patrick Moore

Oct 19, 2016, 4:38:11 PM10/19/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Huh! This project sounds as if it might work well as a KOF entry into the Eroica world ... with very decadent multispeed freewheel derailleur drivetrains, to boot.

Patrick "Not another project!" Moore, dreaming of strada blancas in ABQ, NM

Lungimsam

Oct 20, 2016, 1:28:19 AM10/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
but what if it has a funk a tube from the BB shell up into the center of the top tube?

Clayton.sf

Oct 20, 2016, 1:37:58 AM10/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 10:28:19 PM UTC-7, Lungimsam wrote:
> but what if it has a funk a tube from the BB shell up into the center of the top tube?

In that case it would be a flying gate frame.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA

Patrick Moore

Oct 20, 2016, 10:26:12 AM10/20/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Eeeek!

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
but what if it has a funk a tube from the BB shell up into the center of the top tube?

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Chris Birkenmaier

Oct 20, 2016, 1:53:54 PM10/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am more excited than I really should be about seeing this new model.  Don't need another bike.  Really, really don't need another bike!