Hanging vs Platform Hitch Bike Carriers

WETH

Mar 19, 2014, 6:31:30 PM3/19/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Apologies if this has been discussed in a thread missed by my addled brain and weary eyes.
For some upcoming family bike adventures, I am in the market for a hitch mounted bike carrier for my Subaru Forester. It must hold four (4) adult-size steel-frame bikes most with albatross bars. I am leaning toward a platform carrier as they seem to hold the bikes further apart and appear easier to load. They seem to extend further rearward than hanging carriers do. Also, it appears, from reviews I have read, that hanging carriers hold one fewer bike than advertised. Much like a tent comfortably holds 1 fewer person than advertised. So, I would be comparing a 5 bike capacity hanging carrier with a 4 bike capacity platform carrier.
Am I on or off base with the above? Any advice or suggestions on hitch mounted racks that can accommodate 4 bikes? Personal experiences with platform vs hanging?
As always I appreciate the wisdom and experience of this group.
Thanks, Erl
PS: I have a Yakima roof mounted carrier system on my car, but my back dislikes the reach to the roof of the taller Subaru.

Joe Bernard

Mar 19, 2014, 6:59:29 PM3/19/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The only drawback I found with a tray-type rack was it was considerably heavier than the hanging ones I had used, and it weighed the rear of my little Honda Civic down quite a bit, a car that already sat pretty low. This should be less of an issue for your tallish Subie. It definitely separates the bikes better; hanging racks generate some bike sway even when cinched down pretty good.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Ray Shine

Mar 19, 2014, 7:07:13 PM3/19/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use a platform carrier for two adult bikes. I like it a lot. My advice is to absolutely go with a 2"receiver for hauling 4 bikes. That is a lot. also, on a smaller car like the Subaru, consider a riser for the receiver that will lift the rack another 4 to 6 inches. With  a load of bikes sticking that far out in back, you will encounter scraping when driving in and out of pitched driveways into gas stations and elsewhere. the riser will go a long way toward eliminating that. Also, some states will be picky about using any sort of bike cover that obscures the tail lights of the vehicle. A small car like a suaru is one such car that would be problematic in that regard.

Mar 19, 2014, 7:35:40 PM3/19/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, Ray Shine
Erl -

I've had trunk mounted carriers and roof-rack mounted carriers but last year I picked up a 2-bike carrier made by Saris that mounts into my Forester's 1 1/4" trunk hitch.  I always felt like the trunk mounted racks were flimsy and the roof mounted rack (Yakima) was solid but hoisting the bikes on the roof was a chore.  The Saris is well made, sturdy and easy to use / adjust and not a bad choice for 2 bikes on a hitch.  The mount has an adapter allowing you to use a 2" hitch as well.

You are looking to accommodate four bikes and I tend to agree that a 2" hitch would be more assuring.  Saris is coming out with a four bike mount with some nice features that may be worth a wait:

Hope that helps.
David

cyclotourist

Mar 19, 2014, 10:17:30 PM3/19/14
to RBW Owners Bunch, Ray Shine
The four tray carriers are REALLY big. The protrude really far out, and when folded, go up a lot vertically.

I have a four bike hanging carrier, and have carried four bikes (three + a Burly Piccolo) on it. But it was a chore to pack them. Luckily it's for a long drive, then drop off and stay for a week. If it was for a quick day ride, it would not be fun at all.

Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Tony DeFilippo

Mar 19, 2014, 10:55:05 PM3/19/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Erl,

I've never had to carry 4 at once but I was pretty disappointed with my swagman 2 bike carrier that was hitch mounted. Lots of sway...

In not sure of the financial viability but I wonder with 4 fit the foreseeable future if you'd be better with a small trailer and you build a custom rack mounting system in there. If you are ingested in the project I'd love to help out! I'm thinking emulate one of those pickup truck bed setups on a small trailer.

Tony

WETH

Mar 20, 2014, 9:59:16 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the helpful responses.
Joe, I appreciate the confirmation on the weight of the racks and that they provide good bike separation.
Ray, thanks for the 2" hitch suggestion, tail light obstruction issue, and the tip about the riser. I had not thought of the potential for scraping on sloping surfaces.
David, you and I are in agreement about the short comings of trunk and roof mounted racks. Good to know you have had success with your Subaru and a platform rack. That upcoming Sardis does look beautiful and sturdy. Thanks for the link.
David, I appreciate the reminder of how far out this rack will extend. The sheer size is a concern.
Tony, I like the trailer idea with a custom rack inside. Unfortunately, I do not have a good place to store it when not using it. I think I would also have to register a trailer. (Not a deal breaker, just a hassle) Then I could start a thread about the best tires for a trailer hauling bikes. ;)
For a while I have dreamed of an extended cab, full size bed, diesel pickup truck with a custom made, by me, bike rack in the bed! Unfortunately my wife knows that I know this is not in the budget right now.
We have at least three multi-night family bike trips on the calendar this year, and I hope to add a few more. Some are less than 5 hours away like Cumberland, MD and Chincoteague, VA. The other, PEI in Canada, will be a longer drive.
Again thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to respond. I appreciate all the ideas. I will report back with pics and write-up when I choose.
Erl

Tony DeFilippo

Mar 20, 2014, 10:04:53 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Erl,

You build it, I'll register and store it!!!

As for tires its an incontrivertable fact that 23.725" tires with no extra sidewall protection are essential to the smooth, elastic ride of the trailer.... :)

Tony

WETH

Mar 20, 2014, 10:10:42 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tony,
We may have to discuss this further!
Will the Saluki be ready for a ride this weekend? Saturday and Sunday look to be gorgeous days. Shoot me an email about your availability/ interest in a ride this weekend.
Thanks,
Erl

Patrick Moore

Mar 20, 2014, 10:15:54 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owners-bunch
Erl: what you really need is one of these, a Citroen Acadiane (or the earlier 2 CV van that was all but cosmetically identical):

Inline image 1

I briefly owned one (1750 lbs! 500 kg payload!) and I could get 4 mid-sized bikes in the back, alternative back to front, without removing wheels, and carry a 58 cm British Racing Tricycle without any disassembly.

Fun to drive, too!

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis

Chris Lampe 2

Mar 20, 2014, 10:33:10 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've never used a platform bicycle carrier but I've been using the hanging variety for almost 20 years (out of necessity more than choice).  Hanging carriers are quite unnerving at higher speeds and especially at highway speeds.  If the bike is not very securely strapped down the front wheel will flop from side-to-side and the entire bike will rotate upward as the wind catches the tires/wheels.  My experience is also limited to trunk mounted carriers.

If I reach a point where I'm transporting my bike on a regular basis I will invest in a trailer hitch mounted carrier and without having researched the platform type, that would be my initial preference.  No more hangers for me.

Ray Shine

Mar 20, 2014, 10:37:10 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use the Thule platform. It is heavy, but sturdy and accommodating for loading. (I have also used it in the folded out position to haul other things, such as kayak gear n lash-down bags.) I also have a Thule hanger that I seldom use anymore. Mainly I loan it out to the kids.

I saw a guy driving a Ford SUV with a neat set up. He had a 2-bike platform rack mounted front and rear. Expensive to set up, but it has its practicalities.

As for rack wobble and rattle, the Thule has a internal welded nut in the slide that bolts tight against the receiver. Stops all rattle and wobble. I also see these devices on a lot of racks to eliminate rattle and wobble:

http://www.amazon.com/Stow-Away-StowAway-Hitch-Tightener/dp/B0001CMUV4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395325995&sr=8-3&keywords=stowaway2

Any of these products would be helpful to raise a long hanging rack:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hitch%20riser&sprefix=hitch+ri%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahitch%20riser

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RBW] Hanging vs Platform Hitch Bike Carriers

Ray Shine

Mar 20, 2014, 10:52:06 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
regarding covered bikes and obscuring tail lights. My bro-in-law hauls his bikes around on his Subaru Forester. When he uses a cover, he uses magnetic tail lights similar to these mounted on the car roof above the bikes and cover, which he has wired in with snap plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Magnetic-Tow-Light-Kit/dp/B004VWXBEA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395326726&sr=8-2&keywords=magnetic+tail+lights

He uses this rack:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1122106_-1_400170__400170

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:59 AM

hangtownmatt

Mar 20, 2014, 11:01:44 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Another point to consider with a platform model is the ability to remove two platforms and use as a two bike carrier when four are not needed.  Here's the one I bought:

http://hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/hitch-racks/sportrider-hitch-rack-4.htm

I got it from modernbike.com for $329 with free shipping.

It is big and heavy, but I use it on a 2012 Honda Pilot.  The newer Pilot's are pretty substantial.  This rack may be too much for a Subaru Forester.  I would check with the manufacturer.  If that is the case than you will need to look at more expensive lighter weight units if you decide to go this route.

Matt

davidcha

Mar 20, 2014, 11:53:25 AM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've been using a Thule hanging rack out of a 2" hitch for many years now. It holds 4 road bikes with no problems - steel, carbon, titanium, no matter. To prevent swinging, tire rotation, or other instability, it has a lower swingarm with loops on it to attach straps. Just load the bike, secure it into the hanging fasteners (rubberized so no frame scratches), thread a strap through both tires and secure it to the lower swingarm.

There are some cons with this rack:
- Weight - putting it on or removing it from the car requires some muscle.
- Mountain bikes, kid bikes, or other bikes with unusual frames generally reduce the overall capacity of the rack (you may only fit 2 mountain bikes)

I looked at a hitch-mounted platform rack, however most of my steel bikes have fenders and I didn't find one that had fender-accommodating attachments. Some had attachments that grab the downtube, but I also have some carbon and aluminum and I don't want to stress those frames with a narrow mid-tube clamp.

Good luck!

hsmitham

Mar 20, 2014, 12:58:08 PM3/20/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, Ray Shine
Ouch that's crazy expensive. But probably in line with other tray mounted 4 bike carriers. I have the freedom two and it works okay but when loading two Rivendell's with baskets and racks it has it's limitations. I'm planning on a Thule Parkway hanging rack. My Brother has something similar and it works great. Sorry if this is redundant and been answered already further along in the thread this is as far as I've read.

~Hugh

Steven Frederick

Mar 21, 2014, 10:47:14 AM3/21/14
to rbw-owners-bun.

Hugh Smitham

Mar 21, 2014, 11:03:52 AM3/21/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Steven,

+1 on the transit.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Jim Bronson

Mar 21, 2014, 11:13:19 AM3/21/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That vehicle would be cooler if they would offer it with the small turbodiesel engines and manual transmissions that it is offered with in Europe.

It will be a lame gas automatic here.  I will stick with my Kia Rondo for now.  It's hauled my Riv and my buddy's Riv to lots of brevets.
Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!

Steven Frederick

Mar 21, 2014, 1:21:07 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owners-bun.
Yeah that would be cool, but today, just the way it is, there's really nothing to compare on the U.S. market...

Jim Bronson

Mar 21, 2014, 1:50:49 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh I agree with you, it's just not enough to make me want to jump into a new car.  If it had a diesel and got 35-40 highway mpg then I might be more eager to take the plunge on a new car.  In fact if they came out with any small wagon/crossover with a diesel that got 40mpg I might look into it.  The last time I was at the Kia place picking up the kia-specific fluids (ugh) I told one of the sales guys that if they had a diesel sportage or sorrento, I would buy it.  But anyway...

As it is, I've got 85K on my 07 Kia Rondo and I'm going to drive it into the ground.  It's almost always less expensive to keep or fix the car that you have, especially when it's paid off.

I'd rather spend money on bikes unless there is really something groundbreaking in a car like something roomy that gets 40-50mpg, can carry my stuff including swallowing a bike in the back without taking off a tire, and 8' 2x4s without hanging out the window, and fits 6'7" me.  My current vehicle can do all that.

I'm sorry, were we talking about racks?  ;)
I use a 20 year old one that I got in college to carry the Riv and my buddy's Riv on long trips, it's functional. It's rated for 3 bikes but realistically that's three mountain bikes with straight bars, Jeff and I run 44 and 46 Noodles respectively and you can't fit 3 bikes on with that width of handlebars in additon to rear bags.

James P

Mar 21, 2014, 1:58:00 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I went for a Thule Helium (hanging rack) to fit my Outback. It's selling points were that it is light, and easy to put on and remove.

It works very well for "standard" frames (i.e. regular top-tubes), but it needs an adapter bar for curved or "dropped" top-tubes, which is a pain.

If I was going to do it again - I'd seriously consider going with the Kuat platform rack. Silly expensive, but a little less so when you wait for those "XX% off" sales at the bigger box bike stores - just make sure you check the "exclusions".

I found a great site with videos that show how different racks look/fit on various cars - it is here: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Kuat/N101-103.html - I hope that helps...
Cheerio
Jim

Steve Palincsar

Mar 21, 2014, 2:05:40 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, Jim Bronson
Then you will love the 2015 VW Golf Variant TDI.

Jim Bronson

Mar 21, 2014, 2:13:53 PM3/21/14
to Steve Palincsar, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is that like the Golf Plus I've seen in Germany?

Will it fit 8 foot 2x4s??  My Rondo can, just lay the back seats and front passenger seat flat and position the boards diagonally, front right to back left.  I've brought home 20+ that way.

Steven Frederick

Mar 21, 2014, 2:15:20 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owners-bun.
Yeah, racks.  I've used most kinds and the hitch rack is my favorite.  The hangy sort is better for fendered bikes, generally speaking, though I prefer the tray sort in most every other way.

I mentioned the TC van, because I've come to prefer carrying my bikes inside the vehicle.  I like to travel and take a bike or two, camp, hotel, ride in an area for a day or a week, then drive a ways and set up a new base. it's better to have the bikes covered, secure, out of the weather and out of sight when you're on an extended trip like that, IMO.  It kinda sucks, because there are cars I'd rather have, but I'm limited by my desire to fit two or three bikes easily and securely, and enough gear to stay away from home for a week or three....the TC has more cargo room and gets better mileage than my current small pickup.  Can't beat that!  Well, could--if Subaru built an AWD van like the TC on the Forester platform, I would buy it in a minute.

Steve.

Patrick Moore

Mar 21, 2014, 3:02:37 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owners-bunch
You and I think alike; that is the vehicle I'd buy if I had the cash, but I'd choose the tradesman's model, rubber mats, no electricized anything, wash out with a garden hose.

WETH

Mar 21, 2014, 3:47:20 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I really appreciate all the suggestions!
Ray, the link to risers was much appreciated as was the link to the Transit racks at Performance. Those are half the price of comparable Yakima product through REI. Though I have high praise for Yakima and REI for always standing behind their products for me.
Matt, the link to the Hollywood rack is helpful as I now have four brands to compare. I also do want one that I can reduce to 2 bikes when not hauling 4. Thanks.
Davidcha, thanks for your feedback on the Thule hanging rack.
Hugh, you are right, this is expensive, especially as I need to add in cost of the hitch. But I have gotten good at rationalizing expenditures on my Rivbikes and Riv inspired bikes.
Steve and Patrick, I am a fan of a utilitarian vehicle. I used to really want a Honda Element for that reason. I remain disappointed they never made it in a diesel. And Steve, I understand how nice it would be to travel with the bikes inside with me. My problem is I need seating for four and room for four bikes.
Thanks again.
Erl

Anton Tutter

Mar 21, 2014, 8:51:48 PM3/21/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have both roof-mounted bike racks (Yakima) and a 1.25" hitch mount 'hanging' style rack (Thule).  I've never tried a platform hitch rack, but I'm guessing that style would keep the bikes happier.  The Thule has an anti-sway mechanism by way of a hinge-down third clamp that secures the seat tube.  It prevents about 90% of the sway.  However, what I don't like about the hanging racks is that unless you use some sort of rag or piece of foam between the arms and your bike's frame, it's easy to get scratching.  At least that's what I've observed with the Thule.  Maybe the Saris or Yakima are better, I don't know.  Also keep in mind that if you have a small car, all that extra weight back there will cause stability problems driving.  It creates a cantilever effect, so even though a fully loaded rack with four bikes might only weigh 150lb, it feels like a lot more because farther behind the rear axle than weight you might have in the trunk.  With a larger car, this might not have as much of an impact, but with my current car (Mazda5) and former car (Mazda3) I definitely felt it.  The platform mounts will be even heavier than the hanging mounts. Also keep in ming that having all those bikes on any hitch rack makes it difficult to access the rear hatch (if not a sedan).

Three bikes on the roof?  I never feel an effect on the car's stability.  But I agree it's a chore hoisting them up there. On the other hand, I also don't have to finagle around with rags and bungee cords to make sure the bikes don't get scratched up.

Anton

Mathew Greiner

Mar 22, 2014, 11:40:01 PM3/22/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I run a Saris Freedom 2 and enjoy it much more than hanging racks I've used in the past. Easy to load and bikes don't move at all at interstate speeds. The Saris Cycle On with the add on would give you flexibility in size with a super secure mounting. I've seen it in use and its bike mounting mechanism is really slick. Saris products are made in Wisconsin, which was meaningful to me.

KC

May 1, 2015, 11:19:33 AM5/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This info is very helpful as we will be purchasing a carrier immediately.  Turns out the fork paint damage on my beautiful new bike was likely caused by the current carrier (Yakima hitch-mount swing away).  Although we couldn't figure out how it could be happening, the person loading the carrier (rude to name him) has been extremely concerned about my bike and tried a new position yesterday resulting in nice scrapes on the back side of the frame.  Best guess is even though they were loaded at the far ends of the 4-bike carrier, my bike was attacked by the other bike's brake lever.  I will likely have to take Keven's advice to stop crying and put on clear nail polish and then cover with reflective tape.  At this point I will be quite nicely reflecting on one side of the bike.  Since I'm hoping to not continue the process and the carrier loader is trying to avoid being killed, looks like we will probably buy a new carrier immediately.

It kills me to see my mixtie hanging askew on the hanging racks (and why is only my bike getting scratched up?), especially when we add the 2 kiddo's bikes into the mix.  I've considered the attachment to create the cross bar on my bike, but it seems like an accident waiting to happen. Somehow it seems a platform would be more "organized".  We have other hanging carriers (quit using them because we replaced with a swing-away to have access to the back of the vehicles).  It helped me to see the above comments and wanted to see if there are any updates that would be of use to us. After reading the above, I think I am right about the platform being maybe a little better for the mix of bikes and am a little leery of further experimentation with my bike on the hanging carrier.  I don't think we could easily handle a roof mount and the roof top is reserved for a kayak anyway..

We drive a Subaru Outback and Jeep Grand Cherokee, moving the carrier back and forth.  If we had a 4-bike carrier on, we probably wouldn't get out of our own driveway without scraping so raising the hitch up would probably be important.  Most of the time it would be 2 bikes - standard road bike with fenders and my Cheviot. But we also need the option to bring along 2 bikes for young kids.  I've been looking at the ones for 2 that accommodate an add-on for an additional 2.  It would be most useful for it to be swing-away so we could easily access everything.  It is important that we can secure the bikes well as they could be unattended out of sight sometimes (although we are careful about that).  And loading/unloading shouldn't be an ordeal so we can it frequently - we have a mix of short (30 min to 1 hr) drives to start riding and long trips.

I will look at all the recommendations above, but appreciate any updated input.  Thanks.

(I think my optimal solution is a diesel sprinter with 4 captains chairs and a fold-down sofa in the rear to seat 3 and sleep 2 as queen size bed, with plenty of storage space between sofa & captains chairs for neatly organized "equipment", partnered with a 23' toy hauler for more accommodations for a longer trip.  I think we could make that work. Makes a new carrier look pretty inexpensive, even if unplanned)

Tim Gavin

May 1, 2015, 12:25:08 PM5/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Be aware that the platform-type carriers made for more than 2 bikes usually require a 2" receiver hitch.  2" hitch receivers can be hard to find for cars and car-based SUVs (like the Subaru).

You can add extenders/adapters to neck the 2" hitch down to a smaller 1.25" hitch, but they are much less stable than a direct connection to a proper 2" receiver.  Adapters usually cause the entire hitch platform to wobble.  When I've had to use them, I added a big racheting tie-down through the rack and to something under the bumper at both ends.  This stabilizes the platform but adds inconvenience.

I agree that platform-type, trailer hitch mounted bike racks are much better at taking care of your bike than the hanging style.  But they are more difficult to fit to vehicles.

Based on my experience, 1 Up USA has the best platform racks.  MUSA to boot.  You can extend them to up to 4 bikes.  They're very, very well made, with smart, convenient features.  Not cheap, but good racks never are.

Tim

James P

May 1, 2015, 2:08:00 PM5/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Interesting to see a resurrected thread & also to be able to update from my experience swapping hanging rack to a platform rack.

The hanging rack was reasonably quick to load, but the combination of scratching the frames, and irregular top-tubes made the process a pain and the top-tube converters lowered the bikes that they dragged on the smallest incline (meaning having to move the car, load the bikes... you get the picture)

I thought I'd be smart and last year waited for my REI member 20% off coupon and use it to get a killer deal on the KUAT platform rack - which would have worked except that it ended up being backordered, then delayed for an additional month - and then another. In frustration I contacted KUAT who tole me they had stock and didn't understand why REI couldn't deliver. REI had a different story. After 4 months of waiting I lost patience and bit the bullet on a more expensive, direct from the manufacturer rack from 1UpUSA.

The rack is super easy to load, can be expanded with additional trays (I went with a 1+1) and is extremely well built. It was a really expensive purchase (and one which I wince even now when I think too hard about it), but I am extremely happy with the rack. It is rock-solid and accommodates all the bicycles in the household without protest. I really would recommend you check it out at 1upusa.com

If you're in/near Riv HQ (Walnut Creek), i'd be happy to let you check it out - drop me a mail off list if you'd like.

Regards
Jim

ps. The rack is on a Subaru Outback with a 2" hitch - ground clearance is great.

KC

May 1, 2015, 2:29:07 PM5/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great and appreciated input.  I'll look at that rack.  It sounds like we could start off with the capability to carry 2 and then add for 2  more in a while so the cost isn't as bad up front..
My husband says we have 2" on both - I know we put the heavy duty hitch on the Subaru.  Used to tow a good sized boat behind the jeep & I think we planned for consistency even though Subaru has limited tow capacity.  It's the last think I want to spend the money on but I'm feeling like I may as well just be dragging the bike along behind the car the way I'm going now.

Good to know about the ground clearance.  We still might need something to raise it up as we start off with a fairly steep driveway that we might not get out of.

Really appreciate the offer to check it out but we are in SoCal.  Spent a month up your way and I don't think the (same) rack did any damage the entire time it was on the jeep..  I really think the first damage was after we returned and used the rack on the Subaru.  Not sure why it would make a difference, but.....

WETH

May 1, 2015, 3:34:15 PM5/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
KC,
I appreciate the opportunity to update my experience.  I went with the Holywood platform rack: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QJC4AY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
At the time, REI was out of the one I wanted from them.  The basic set-up of this rack holds two bikes, and I got the extension which expands carrying capacity to 4 bikes.  I LOVE IT! (I don't usually gush over products, but this is the best way I have used to transported my bikes on the outside of a vehicle.)  I have mounted bikes on the roof and hung them off of racks attached to the back of my car, and for me, this platform rack is a winner.  A former reoccurring nightmare had me losing a load of bikes on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in peak summer traffic; I sleep peacefully now, at least in regard to transporting bikes.

The rack attaches to a hitch purchased from and installed by Uhaul for under $120.00 and in under 1 hour.  The rack attaches securely and there is minimal sway and total peace of mind.  I appreciated not having to hoist the bikes too high to get them on the rack, and they are held securely in place.   Only one padded arm/hook touches the bike frame.  If you keep the rack attached to the hitch without bikes, it will fold up out of the way.  I do not scrape on my sloping driveway with 4 bikes on the back of a Subaru Forester, though I do make my teenage sons wait to get in the car until I am at the bottom of the driveway.

A few negatives, as it is not perfect: 1)The rack is often mounted on the car in the summers and has developed a bit of surface rust. 2) the padded arm, which is lowered onto the toptube of each bike to secure it, will leave behind some black scuffing/residue on the paint (no nicks or chips in the paint, however; a cloth between frame and arm would likely solve this).  3) the rack is heavy and not something I would want to take on and off several times a week.  4) It carries 4 bikes well with the attachment, but the 3rd bike is a bit difficult to get on.  5) It is expensive.

I am going to get a hitch installed on my Mazda3 so that I can carry my bike on this rack when I do not need to haul multiple bikes with the Subaru.

All the best,
Erl, who is happy not to be lifting bikes over his head onto the roof of the car in Kensington, MD

Patrick Moore

May 1, 2015, 3:53:33 PM5/1/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
This is why I always drive vans of some sort that allow the rear seats to be removed. Currently, my '06 PT Cruiser will easily carry 2 medium bikes inside with front wheels removed, while still accommodating 2 in people in the front (57-60 c-c frame equivalents). I bet I could get 4 inside with both wheels removed.

My erstwhile 1984 Acadiane would take at least 4 with front wheels on; at least, it would take a fully assembled '80s Ken Rogers racing trike with room to spare and no hassle with the roofline.

A Sprinter seems the ideal solution for a family of bikes. My own beau ideal is a Transit Connect in full tradesman's kit -- basic white, no rear seats, rubber mats, etc etc.; clean it out with leaf blower (as I did for my '90 Voyager after it was stripped of 2d and 3d row seats, interior cladding, trim, carpeting; and after my daughter had decorated the interior with Magic Marker and I had applied almost 150 stickers to the outside.)

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

WETH

May 1, 2015, 4:15:13 PM5/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick,
Versatility as you described will top my list of features when I am next shopping for a new-to-me vehicle.  I have also given much thought to an enclosed travel trailer, that could permanently house a family of bikes and be easily towed when travel called-a bike shed on wheels.  Of course, I also harbor fantasies of living car free!  :)

Patrick Moore

May 1, 2015, 4:25:29 PM5/1/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Man, I wish I'd kept that '90 Voyager -- I gave it away to a single-mother family via our church. A few $K in mechanical and paint and I'd have a wonderful bike carrier; my daughter opined (granted, age 10 -- she's now 13 1/2) that she wanted to go to the Prom in it.)

FWIW, 8/10 of my driving is for my daughter -- her mother has her scheduled for all sorts of post school and extra-school activities. That's fine; Catie is very fortunately not at all a car snob.

Meanwhile, the PTC is not bad, given that I drive relatively little.

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 2:15 PM, WETH <erlho...@gmail.com> wrote:
Patrick,
Versatility as you described will top my list of features when I am next shopping for a new-to-me vehicle.  I have also given much thought to an enclosed travel trailer, that could permanently house a family of bikes and be easily towed when travel called-a bike shed on wheels.  Of course, I also harbor fantasies of living car free!  :)

KC

May 14, 2015, 10:43:59 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thought I should report back on our decision in case helpful to anyone
else. After a lot of agonizing, we went for the HR1400 from Hollywood
Racks. I was very intrigued with several of the others and especially
liked the 1upusa. Since it will most often be just the 2 of us, it is nice
that we can generally keep it set up for 2 and just add the extension to it
when the grandkids join in. I liked that the company is "local" to us in
case we needed to return something directly to them and the person I spoke
with there to answer my questions was very responsive. For $350 we got the
complete setup from a LBS and felt like that was a reasonable risk since we
were a little paralyzed with the fear of continuing damage to my frame .
We set it up pretty easily (for 2 bikes) on Sunday and were very happy. It
holds both bikes firmly in place, no more swinging, with minimal frame
contact. We haven't tilted it for trunk access with the bikes on, but it
is very easy when they are off so we will easily be able to keep the rack
on the car and be ready to go. Literally takes a minute or 2 to load the
bikes once the wheel wells are set up. The instructions are to load them
opposite directions, but my seat interfered with his handlebars so we ended
up with them the same way and see no problem. Maybe with more time we will
test more arrangements (would be nice to lessen the amount we extend beyond
the car width) but we were anxious to go on a great Mothers' Day ride. It
looks like the extension will be extremely easy to add on as needed.
Again, I really appreciate the input from people here. Below is a photo of
the bikes loaded up on the car as we stopped at TJs to get a little fuel
for the trip and our gang off on the ride.(I don't think I a creating a
problem adding the photos here, but please gently yell at me if I am)

Patrick Moore

May 14, 2015, 1:48:59 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
That is absolutely the longest URL I have ever seen!

I can't get to the photo/s; can you repost? Thanks.

Patrick Moore, who might be interested in a rack himself.

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:43 AM, KC <kathys...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

KC

May 14, 2015, 4:37:43 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

oops.  I think I know what I did.  Momentary (I hope) lapse - hopefully I've done this OK this time.