Birthday Bike overnight.

hsmitham

Apr 27, 2015, 3:50:45 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just some pictures of a good time on a bike with a good friend.

~Hugh
  Los Angeles, CA

WETH

Apr 27, 2015, 5:53:26 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh, happy birthday! It looks like you had a great trip. Beautiful photos as always.
-Erl

Pondero

Apr 27, 2015, 7:50:08 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Delightful photos! I've been weather and work defeated in March and April, and starving for another quick overnighter. Especially now. Thanks for the poke in the side.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Tom Virgil

Apr 27, 2015, 8:36:30 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And a very Happy Birthday to you!

Tom

drew

Apr 27, 2015, 10:07:51 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
looks like a great time. i did an overnight to o'neill park a couple months ago. i rode down from long beach, and it was beautiful, but somehow i feel like i missed a lot of the trails you guys were on.  is there a route map somewhere, by any chance?

Hugh Smitham

Apr 27, 2015, 10:16:36 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hi Drew,

Here's some Strava links showing our route.

From Irvine Station:

Check out my 13.7 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/291958001

From near O'Neill. We road a few miles to a good breakfast place Latte Da Bagelery on Plano Trabuco Rd. Then back tracked to jump on the dirt.

Check out my 20.8 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/292418360

~Hugh

looks like a great time. i did an overnight to o'neill park a couple months ago. i rode down from long beach, and it was beautiful, but somehow i feel like i missed a lot of the trails you guys were on.  is there a route map somewhere, by any chance?

Deacon Patrick

Apr 27, 2015, 10:18:27 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic trip! Those are some great looking roads and trails you got to ride.

With abandon,
Patrick

Hugh Smitham

Apr 27, 2015, 10:26:27 PM4/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Deacon. Feel spoiled. But nothing like the raw scenic beauty of your haunts.

~Hugh

cyclotourist

Apr 27, 2015, 11:17:06 PM4/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just a little moisture out there this weekend! The last two SoCal rides just haven't been in the cards for me unfortunately. As always, looks to have been a great time!

Drew, here's a route to/from O'Neil that Doug put together: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7183179

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

drew

Apr 28, 2015, 12:11:40 PM4/28/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
awesome. thanks for sharing.

Bob E

Apr 28, 2015, 3:50:00 PM4/28/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Very nice photos, Hugh -- and what a great way to celebrate your birthday!

Lungimsam

Apr 28, 2015, 6:54:15 PM4/28/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Happy Birthday, Hugh! God bless you!

Hugh Smitham

Apr 29, 2015, 2:24:52 PM4/29/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thank you all for the Birthday well wishes! It was an extraordinary Birthday! Thankfully I have an understanding wife who understands that besides being with her my next favorite thing is being in the saddle and camping! Being rained on only made it all the more adventurous. This camping spot has been so well received by all the Riv riders here in SoCal that our Mike S. reserved another night in May. May you all have the wind at your backs and good friends to pedal beside you.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Happy Birthday, Hugh! God bless you!

David Crowell

Apr 29, 2015, 8:08:05 PM4/29/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Happy Birthday!

Sunday was my birthday.  I rode around town a bit.

Chris Chen

Apr 29, 2015, 8:08:05 PM4/29/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Happy birthday!

Hugh Smitham

Apr 29, 2015, 8:10:11 PM4/29/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Chris!

Hugh Smitham

Apr 29, 2015, 8:11:44 PM4/29/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks  David! Isn't a ride on your day wonderful.

dougP

May 2, 2015, 12:25:18 AM5/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh:

Did Curtis take you by The Path bike shop for an official weigh in?  Loads of fun finding out our bike weights, and not really caring all that much.  I'm sure the shop guys had a good laugh about it.  Good to see things are still green along Trabuco Creek.

dougP

Hugh Smitham

May 2, 2015, 12:48:51 AM5/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

There were no weigh in! For now Curtis is the "World Heavy Weight Champ". This is a fantastic dirt ride!

~Hugh

James Warren

May 2, 2015, 12:53:36 AM5/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I put it in my top 5 all time rides when we were done.

Sent from my iPhone

Cecily Walker

May 5, 2015, 9:14:38 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great photos. Happy belated birthday!

Hugh Smitham

May 5, 2015, 9:16:39 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Cecily! How's your riding these days?

~Hugh

Cecily Walker

May 7, 2015, 4:24:54 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for asking, Hugh.

I'm off the bike for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid. The knee has deteriorated to the point where riding more than 30 minutes is difficult, and hills are right out. I still take it out for short joy rides now and again, but I end up regretting it for days afterward.

I'm still waiting for a surgery date, after which I'll be barred from riding on the street for at least 6 months. I'm understandably bummed.

Ryan Fleming

May 7, 2015, 5:52:58 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is too bad, Cecily. I hope that you have your surgery soon and the recovery is successful. I can well understand your frustration, loving my own bikes as much as I do. I would find your situation hard to bear, indeed  But  from what I've gleaned in your posts, you are a lady of great fortitude and I feel  in the end that you and Betty  will triumph!

Best wishes

Ryan in Winnipeg

Deacon Patrick

May 7, 2015, 5:59:27 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Och, Cecily! Prayers for a successful surgery and rapid recovery and many years of riding ahead! Sometimes the road ahead is long and hard and involves a lot of LCG! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Ryan Fleming

May 7, 2015, 6:02:23 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry...what's LCG again when it's at home with its feet up?

Deacon Patrick

May 7, 2015, 6:08:25 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Lowest common gear. In this case, two buns. Some days are like that, for whatever reason. Sardonic grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Hugh Smitham

May 7, 2015, 6:16:11 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Cecily,

What a bummer!  I know how frustrating this must be. It drives me Looney when I'm forced off my bike for even a few days. I daydream of those days when my body always cooperated no matter what I threw at it. Today is an entirely different case I'm afraid. I can only imagine how painful your knee pain is.

I agree with Ryan about your fortitude, you and betty will prevail.

Much Love,

~Hugh

Cecily Walker

May 7, 2015, 7:45:59 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Awww. Thanks, Ryan.

dougP

May 7, 2015, 8:54:51 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Cecily:

I sympathize with your missing the riding, especially just now as the weather is so encouraging of being outside.  Looking to the future, I've had two friends that have had knee replacements.  Both pursued the post-surgical physical therapy as aggressively as possible and were actually cleared to ride within 90 days, based on their rapid progress.  One even motivated himself by booking a big, hilly tour so he had to keep on track to meet the tour date.  Good luck & keep us posted.

dougP

Cecily Walker

May 7, 2015, 9:03:00 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com