Purple for a Riv?

RJM

Sep 1, 2015, 2:51:36 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
As soon as I sell a bunch of stuff I'm ordering another Roadeo...(yes, that will make two. I hav big plans ;)  ). I'm debating in my head about the color choice. My current one is a Rambouillet orange and it is sweet looking. I was thinking of some shade of purple for the next one but really have never seen a riv with a purple paint job, something like a deep purple and not too flashy. What do you all think about that color?
Now that I bring it up, what are your favorite colors for Rivs?

Brewster Fong

Sep 1, 2015, 3:01:38 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 11:51:36 AM UTC-7, RJM wrote:
As soon as I sell a bunch of stuff I'm ordering another Roadeo...(yes, that will make two. I hav big plans ;)  ). I'm debating in my head about the color choice. My current one is a Rambouillet orange and it is sweet looking. I was thinking of some shade of purple for the next one but really have never seen a riv with a purple paint job, something like a deep purple and not too flashy. What do you all think about that color?
Now that I bring it up, what are your favorite colors for Rivs?

Not a Riv, but this 25th Anniv Della Santa is purple and very nice looking:

At $850 for the bike and $500 for the frameset, I'm suffering because it is just my size!  But, I need to resist as I have too many road bikes and need a cross.....Good Luck!

olof...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2015, 3:20:43 PM9/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Methinks a purple one with cream (including cream fenders) could look terrific. And you can probably trust Riv with finding the right shade of purple. Go for it.

Olof Stroh

Uppsala Sweden

Jim M.

Sep 1, 2015, 3:21:26 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 11:51:36 AM UTC-7, RJM wrote:
What do you all think about that color?
Now that I bring it up, what are your favorite colors for Rivs?

Who cares what we think? If you like it, go for it. There's a pink Legolas in my neighborhood, speaking of uncommon Riv colors. My favorite is clear coat over steel.

jim m
wc ca

mikel...@juno.com

Sep 1, 2015, 3:29:00 PM9/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
1992 and 1994 b'stone rb-2 models had a purple in their line-up-check the catalogs
Shark Tank’s Huge Idea
Warren Buffett is worried, but you can profit. Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/55e5fc60971997c60214fst03duc

Mark Reimer

Sep 1, 2015, 3:40:19 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
There is a purple atlantis floating around on the internet somewhere if I recall correctly

Mark Reimer

Sep 1, 2015, 3:41:54 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

and

Will

Sep 1, 2015, 3:46:54 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Go to the staff bikes on the Riv site, check Rich's deep blue (almost purple) custom. It's a show stopper color-wise.

Will

Deacon Patrick

Sep 1, 2015, 3:47:29 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've seen the spread from lilac to royal purple, but I've yet to see what I'd want, Gloaming Purple (from the color pallet of the sky 60-90 minutes prior to sunrise through to sunrise.), which seems a bit like the color you're describing. The color is hard to capture 9at least with my iPhone, but this comes close:

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 1, 2015, 3:51:23 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

There's a purple Saluki somewhere, too.  In VA, maybe?

Sep 1, 2015, 3:53:45 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

Here it is – belonged to Tony D.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonydefilippo/13368572203/in/photolist-mnkqLc-mnmDr1-mnmDbS-mnjHN2-mnjHpX-nsP5Md-qFwcWr-qFwczV-3yp4Ah-qFnww1-4c5Q8Y-67gtVm-4c5QqL-3yiYgp-3asenu-mnkqYX-LSi7f-85MHm8-4tT8b6-4c5PS1   I think he flipped it to somebody for a more conventional colored Saluki.  Personally, I think the purple is suh-weet.

Steve Palincsar

Sep 1, 2015, 3:58:44 PM9/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
He flipped it for the one I used to own, in Fairway Green.

cyclot...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2015, 4:13:59 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Samuel L Jackson would request a purple Rivendell.

George Schick

Sep 1, 2015, 4:52:42 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

This one.  If it's purple it would have to be this shade:

Bill Lindsay

Sep 1, 2015, 5:28:29 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anne Paulson has a Purple Atlantis.

I'm considering a dusty purple powdercoat for one of my project bikes.  Google RAL4001, RAL4005 and RAL4009 for a few of my finalists.

RJM

Sep 1, 2015, 5:34:59 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Man, nice bike...great color too.

RJM

Sep 1, 2015, 5:37:12 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, that is more the color shade I am leaning towards over the purple Saluki that has been posted (even though that is a cool color too.) The Saluki is a little louder than this one.

I like these kind of internal debates and obsessions....makes the work day go by so much quicker.

Bill Lindsay

Sep 1, 2015, 6:10:22 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
My previous purple bike was a custom Davidson

James Warren

Sep 1, 2015, 7:12:25 PM9/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I love purple for bikes, and while the photo is of my Bridgestone as opposed to a Rivendell, the photo shows the type of purple that I like:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46035786@N07/20883216138/in/dateposted-public/

My '91 MB-4 (originally red) has a Ritchey frame but it had no Ritchey Logic fork when bought new. I beat up the paint with a lot of riding from 1991 through 1996. When I got the Ritchey Logic fork for it in 1996, I had the repaint done to be like the MB-3 of 1991; hence the deep purple. Since the only difference between those stock framesets was that MB-3 had Ritchey Logic fork, while MB-4 did not, I sometimes wonder if I could have gotten away with a new "MB-3" decal for my repainted bike, giving it a promotion. I decided to keep it" MB-4" for nostalgia purposes. It's still my best steep-climbing bike, and quite often still gets called My Favorite.

The paint job was by CycleArt.

Matt B.

Sep 1, 2015, 7:44:44 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

Mike Schiller

Sep 1, 2015, 8:14:18 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
if it's good enough for Samuel L. Jackson it's good enough for me.   I'd love a purple bike... and this shade is just perfect https://www.flickr.com/photos/22538785@N05/17017389477/in/faves-37347002@N05/

~mike
Carlsbad Ca.

dougP

Sep 1, 2015, 8:32:20 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
That was the bike she rode to last summer's Entmoot.  It's a really deep, rich color, and the creme accents really pop, as you can see from the HT.  It's tasteful without being flashy.

dougP

Aaron Young

Sep 1, 2015, 11:07:32 PM9/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The sparkly purple of the old Bridgestones is my all time favorite bike paint color and will be my first choice for when I get a repaint on any of my Riv's. I think I will go solid (not contrasting cream) head tube though.

-Aaron "Big Fan of Purple" Young
The Dalles, OR

Tony DeFilippo

Sep 1, 2015, 11:54:28 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
The purple-luki wasn't for me but I did grow to appreciate it as a nice color. I hear that Bill in Ohio is enjoying it still.

A darker purple might have worked for me, I learned to ride on a dark, sparkly purple 'ladies' Schwinn after all.

I'm happy with my dark green one and the Bombadil blue is growing on me to.

Tony

Surlyprof

Sep 2, 2015, 1:47:30 AM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I loved my old '86 Bertoni Corsa Mondiale.  The color was in Italian but the translation was "God-awful purple" (It also came in "Electric Rose").  It was a very '80's metallic lilac with blue decals that looked like this one:  http://vancouver.canadianlisted.com/ad/gallery/2788400/

I'd go a bit darker and I like the suggestion of the creme headtube.   Do they have Rodeo seat tube decals that are creme or are they white?

John

cyclotourist

Sep 2, 2015, 1:59:52 AM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Ginz

Sep 2, 2015, 9:56:59 AM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got one of these. Just show them this catalog page. :)

James Chang

Sep 2, 2015, 10:04:08 AM9/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've got a purpe/wine color Riv. Just another data point FYR.

James Chang, Taipei, Taiwan.

*** club sandwich, not seal ***
1901375_10203456754198936_1071474461_n.jpg
IMG_20140215_085510.jpg

RJM

Sep 2, 2015, 2:18:07 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I kinda like that shade.

Purple, like orange, is one of those colors where the right shade is needed, I think. Lots of good, but different, purples in this thread.

Garth

Sep 2, 2015, 2:59:55 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

  I know I've seen a photo of a purple/plum and cream bike, I just cannot find it at this time .  Here is very close sample of the kind of purple I an thinking of .
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/718uO4rL5aL._SL1500_.jpg

Bill

Sep 2, 2015, 3:10:57 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Still alive and well in Columbus.  This shade of agapanthus purple just dazzles in direct sunlight.
Purpleluki.jpg

Alan Pickett

Sep 2, 2015, 4:59:11 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
LOVE the agapanthus! It looks like a shade from a bygone era. I think the mythical icelandic "little people" prolly paint their road signs in this color. Its downright elvish.

Alan "It's A Beautiful day" Pickett

Anne Paulson

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59:39 PM9/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes I do, and I love it.

-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.

David Spranger

Sep 3, 2015, 12:57:40 PM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

David Spranger

Sep 3, 2015, 1:03:33 PM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry. here is a shareable link:
https://goo.gl/photos/7JtvdXv67ZWQ4a469

On Thursday, eptember 3, 2015 at 12:57:40 PM UTC-4, David Spranger wrote:
My purple :

WETH

Sep 3, 2015, 6:32:59 PM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
David,
That is a beautiful bike. I hope your recovery from this spring's accident is going well. Are you cycling, yet?
-Erl

Bikie#4646

Sep 3, 2015, 8:56:47 PM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's one beautiful Davidson, Bill! (Though I'll bet a hard one to touch up! Here's the Imron color I chose for my 1989 custom nickel plated and filet brazed Bontrager CX: http://www.cyclofiend.com/cx/2010/cx057-paulgermain0410.html

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

Surlyprof

Sep 4, 2015, 11:48:17 AM9/4/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
These examples look great!  Now I want to repaint the Hillborne purple.

John

Jim Bronson

Sep 4, 2015, 3:33:34 PM9/4/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's hot, Bikie#4646!

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!

ma...@rivbike.com

Sep 5, 2015, 2:00:58 PM9/5/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
How about something like this custom?
SAM_0011.JPG

David Spranger

Sep 10, 2015, 12:49:17 PM9/10/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
No cycling yet, except on the trainer. It is a poor replacement for actual riding, but my only choice right now. Physical recovery is well under way, only now finding the deficits/differences in my brain since the crash.

I so want to be out cycling in this beautiful weather...

Corwin

Nov 25, 2015, 11:37:24 PM11/25/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's my bike!

Was just about to post a picture. Thanks Mark.

Regards,

Corwin