New Bike Day: The Wait is Finally Over!

Nathan Mattia

Mar 19, 2020, 11:34:00 PM3/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Drove 5 hours back from our spring break in Tennessee today with my family.  On the outside I was all appropriate business:  “Wash your hands in the bathrooms.”  “Use these wipes to open the gas station doors.”  “Stop touching your brother’s face!” I even managed to carry on meaningful and necessary discussions with my wife about how we were going to set up the house to work from home while dealing with our 2 boys.  I am proud I held onto this responsible veneer when, on the inside, all I could do was think about how I was going to leave the house the MOMENT we were done unpacking and go get my Sam Hillborne.

And here it is in *almost* all its glory.  Got to ride it for about a mile before rain and dinner interfered.
First impressions:
1.  It’s the most comfortable bike I’ve ever saddled up.
2.  It’s the first bike I’ve had that just FIT.  I’m not trying to constantly scoot back in the saddle.
3.  The Low Bottom Bracket thing is for real, y’all.  Not sure I can go back.
4.  I thought my ‘83 Specialized Expedition won the JD Power and Associates  Hallmark of Cadillac Stability Award, (and maybe it does when fully loaded) but this Sammy is SMOOOOOOTH.

*still to be added are a water bottle holder a Medium Wald Basket (on the Pletscher in the rear?), a small Olive Trunk Sack and an extra-small Olive SaddleSack.
BY THE WAY, my Sackville are all in Olive and, as you can see here, I’ve got a blue/orange motif going.  Anybody interested in trading me some Royal Blue Sackville items for my Olive?

12B91102-4C3B-4656-A5DC-B4A87F1AB886.jpeg

929A7932-60A4-4E76-9A0C-1478FB780548.jpeg

ED53012A-8C10-49CC-9CE3-671B64C9A2D5.jpeg

3F7D70F3-383A-478F-AD81-75BF1394307E.jpeg

6CF43839-FE3C-495A-88EC-F765D38ADB9A.jpeg

Toshi Takeuchi

Mar 20, 2020, 12:25:05 AM3/20/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sweet!  Royal blue bags would go nicely with your bar tape and cables!

Toshi--trying to stay sane in Oakland, CA

Je Mar

Mar 20, 2020, 8:04:29 AM3/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is beautiful. Great choices, just great. Enjoy!

DHans

Mar 20, 2020, 9:02:13 AM3/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats on the new bike..it's a beauty. Grips look new and the saddle just worn enough to be comfortable. What wheel size does it have?
Doug

Nathan Mattia

Mar 20, 2020, 9:36:26 AM3/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here’s the rundown, as best as I remember it while typing this fro bed:

-This is an MIT 51cm Samuel Hillborne, made for Caliper brakes.

-brakes are the Riv caliper Tektros

-Shimano Tiagra brake levers.

-shifters are some Shimano thumbies, rigged up by Rich at Kenton Cycle Repair, in Portland.

-Deore XT derailleurs.

-13cm Nitto Tallux Stem

-Albatross bars w/ cheap cork grips from Amazon b/c Riv was out, and Newbaum’s tape.

-Mark’s Rack

-Old Pletscher Rear rack.

-Riv Standard Sugino 2x Crank

-A23 Rims, Dynamo front hub 36 spoke, Deore Rear hub 36 spoke.  The Swiss double-butted spokes.  Wheels built by Cursed Bikes here in the StL.

-Tires are 42mm Pari-motos

-8-Speed Cassette

-SKS pedals

-B17 Saddle, nicely broken in by an unknown previous owner.  Came with my old RB-T

-Blue Cable Housings.

-Busch & Muller IQ-X light

*Not Pictured—but soon—* Wald Medium Basket

E. Ricky Creek

Mar 20, 2020, 9:56:06 AM3/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love that you used a Pletscher rack. I have one on  my Atlantis and my wife has one on her Appaloosa. I always pick them up at flea markets if they are under $5. They are almost always missing hardware, but there is a way to mount them using the leftover P-clamps that come with Nitto racks.
  Congrats and engoy!

Rocky B

Mar 20, 2020, 11:54:06 AM3/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great looking bike 👍🏼

I, too, am a big fan of low BB drops. Riv introduced it to me and it’s one of the first dimensions I look at when I look at a bike’s geometry chart. I love the feeling of riding “in” a bike instead of riding “on top” of one (if that makes any sense.)

Rocky

Nathan Mattia

Mar 20, 2020, 1:54:54 PM3/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You ain’t kiddin, Rocky.  I had heard that phrase before, but it finally DOES make sense

Nathan Mattia

Mar 20, 2020, 2:13:19 PM3/20/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ricky,
My Pletscher was $15 I believe, from our local bike Co-op StL Bikeworks.  They had several old ones lying about.   I like the versatility of it quite a bit.  Not quite as shiny as my chrome bits, but I’ll try polishing it up and see if that works.

-Nathan Mattia

“I believe in order to understand.”
        -St. Augustine