Drive compatibility question.

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2019, 12:35:30 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does Shimano 9 speed road shift/brake levers work with shimano 9 speed mountain? I recall it was when shimano went to 10 speed that the compatibility ended.

TIA,

Hugh

Steve Palincsar

Aug 9, 2019, 12:49:40 PM8/9/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

On 8/9/19 12:35 PM, Hugh Smitham wrote:
Does Shimano 9 speed road shift/brake levers work with shimano 9 speed mountain?

Yes for rear derailleur.  MTB front derailleurs haven't been compatible w/road shifters since forever.   10 speed Shimano road works with Shimano 9 MTB rear derailleurs too.

I recall it was when shimano went to 10 speed that the compatibility ended.

DynaSys rear derailleurs aren't compatible.  The standard solution to larger sprockets for Shimano 10 road has been Shimano 9 MTB rear derailleurs.  I have that setup (with bar end shifters) on my JP Weigle:

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2019, 1:18:07 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Steve,

And thank you for the response. To be crystal clear, to acheive the larger sprocket size (36) one can use 10 speed shifters with 9sp rear mech non DynaSys with a 10 speed front derailleur? What is the DynaSys difference from a non DynaSys?

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2019, 1:23:21 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Steve,

Don't bother with the DynaSys  question. I just Googled it.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 9:49 AM Steve Palincsar <pali...@his.com> wrote:

Joe Bernard

Aug 9, 2019, 1:36:08 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, I have Ultegra 10 shifters that worked with an XT 9 derailer on an 11-36 cassette. Front derailer was Ultegra 10 double.

Holler at me if you need any of these parts, I still have most of it. The levers are still on a 31.8 drop bar with interruptor brake levers.

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2019, 3:50:01 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Joe,

The Ultegra shifters are 2x10? And FYI I'm just doing preliminary info gathering at this point.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:36 AM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, I have Ultegra 10 shifters that worked with an XT 9 derailer on an 11-36 cassette. Front derailer was Ultegra 10 double.

Holler at me if you need any of these parts, I still have most of it. The levers are still on a 31.8 drop bar with interruptor brake levers.

Joe Bernard

Aug 9, 2019, 5:21:22 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hugh: Yep, 2 x 10. Plus an XT 772 rd (the one Riv sells, I got it from Dave) in VG condition, and I think I still have the cassette, too. Maybe!

dougP

Aug 9, 2019, 6:12:37 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I sense a new build is in the works.

dougP

Tim

Aug 15, 2019, 3:05:06 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Joe. Sorry to interrupt but I'm looking for some 10 speed Shimano brifters and would be interested in your Ultegra if Hugh isn't needing them. The right side shifter on my Roadeo just bit the dust last week.

Hugh Smitham

Aug 15, 2019, 3:28:22 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi fellas,

Been occupied lately. Tim I haven't reached out to Joe about a purchase so if you are in need of them I will back out so you can get your bike rolling again.

Best Regards,

Hugh