Where are the Brompton Owners or A Case of the Novembers

Minh

Nov 28, 2016, 4:01:56 PM11/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
So i've really struggled with a case of the Novembers (longingly eyeing all the bikes for sale, Bill's Appaloosa, that Ebisu, that Crust, that Rambler....) and successfully dodged most of them until a Brompton popped up.  I was reminded of my visit a few weeks ago to a Brompton dealer (just as i was walking by one...) and i was hooked.  I think Brompton should do a kick back program for owners because we attracted a crowd when i went to pick it up and the seller was showing me the fold-unfold-fold.  I have to admit that there is something fun about riding these bikes, the steering is a handful until you get used to it, and some of the components are laughingly cheap/crude but it's a fun ride.

I think there are some cross-owners of RBW and Brompton, does anyone have a link to an owners group?  I've seen the bromptontalk group on yahoo (too much noise), but looking for a group more similar to RBW.  What i'm hoping to find is feedback/experiences on changes, with so much folding i'm worried about making changes that will then affect the folding mechanism.  I'm thinking of swapping in new grips, levers, maybe a saddle but wanted feedback before i started ordering things.

Thanks for any pointers, I need to go and practice my folding technique, i'm way slower than the videos online!

Eric Norris

Nov 28, 2016, 4:18:34 PM11/28/16
to RBW
Minh:

I’m a Brompton owner, and I’ll be happy to help. But your first call should be to Clever Cycles in Portland OR, which is a huge Brompton dealer (I bought mine from them). They worked with me to make a few changes to a stock bicycle, and I’m sure they will be able to tell you if your plans will work.

I had them add a dyno hub and a headlight/taillight to mine, none of which interferes with the fold. They even used the stock front rim and spokes to build a wheel on a new dyno hub as a way to save money.

Subsequent to buying the bike, I added a pair of Cane Creek bar-ends (I got the flat “S” bars). They make the bike much more comfortable to ride (more hand positions) and also don’t interfere with the fold.

P.S. Call the components “crude,” but at Brompton prices they’re certainly not cheap!

P.P.S. I’ve had my Brompton for about a year now without any problems. You’ll like it, but be aware that they take slightly more effort to ride than a standard bike, due to the small wheels. Longest ride on mine so far is about 60 miles.

Jeremy Tavan

Nov 28, 2016, 5:12:56 PM11/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 1:18:34 PM UTC-8, Eric Norris wrote:
P.P.S. I’ve had my Brompton for about a year now without any problems. You’ll like it, but be aware that they take slightly more effort to ride than a standard bike, due to the small wheels. Longest ride on mine so far is about 60 miles.

I don't think I've ever done more than about 10 miles on either of the Bromptons I've owned. While I love the bikes for train commuting, I really have never adjusted to the way they handle. Can't imagine ever doing 60 miles on one - I'm exhausted just thinking about it. You are made of sterner stuff!

If the Brompton parts are too "cheap" there's always the fancy aftermarket bits that SJS Cycles sell. I had a few of their upgraded bits on my first Brompton (which was stolen). I haven't bothered to upgrade my new Brompton, and to be honest I don't really miss any of the fancy bits. Your dynamo headlight idea is of course a good one - all bikes should have dynamo headlights, right?

/Jeremy

Chris Birkenmaier

Nov 28, 2016, 7:57:45 PM11/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I own 2 Bromptons.  One is the 2015 black edition in white.  I had a modified bar installed that splits the difference between an S bar and the M.  I recently bought a used M6L on eBay in raw lacquer.  I'm looking to have that retrofitted with the new 2017 M bar and shifters.  I'm looking at some other mods like the clamps and handles (probably calling them the wrong names).  I really like the ride for tooling around on.  Yes it is a bit twitchy in handling but I accept that in this bike.  The fold is so impressive I can take it anywhere in the car very easily.  I'm also interested if there is a Brompton owners site to visit.  I haven't found one on the web yet.

bo richardson

Nov 29, 2016, 12:58:10 AM11/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
i have one for train or bus trips to seattle and vancouver
the small tires wear out quicker.

i met the cutest irish aussi couple in edison this fall.
they were touring on bromptons.
full kit. they loved them, but were not going coast to coast either.
they had a facebook feed, but i dont do facebook.
i love mine but in a different way than my other bikes.

i had a moulton for a while but kept the brompton. i ordered it with a achmidt.
i got mine in vancouver because the exchange rate was good.
the exchange rate is even better now.
there is a dealein Vanco couver bc. nice folks.
if you order from the states or maybe even from there with a passport you may not have to pay GST which is real savings.

Jay in Tel Aviv

Nov 29, 2016, 4:52:59 AM11/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a Sam and a Brompton M6L. The rides ae of course completely different.

Sam - 700c wheels, med/high trail, albas, saddlebag, single speed
Brompton - 16" wheels, low trail, M-bars, 6 speed

I find I go a little slower and tire a little less with the Brompton. Love them both.

Not sure what you're looking for. Glad to help if I can. They are both great bikes.

Jay

Minh

Nov 29, 2016, 9:33:35 AM11/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all, thanks for the feedback, i recognize some longtime posters and had no ideas that you were also Brompton owners!  The main thing i'm looking for now is feedback on any changes you've made to the stock setup and whether you had problems or were they worth it, here are a few i'm thinking of (I have a M3L--black):
  • grips-i have the foam ones now, thinking about the ergon ones, there seems to be some debate on whether they fit w/o cutting on the M bars
  • brake levers-the stock ones feel terrible to me, i'm leaning towards some older suntour mt levers
  • upgrading the easy wheels/fender wheels, mines a little wobbly.  i'm also thinking of adding the rack but not for carry capacity but instead just to get it more stable folded up and rolling, if i can do that another way--the EZ Wheel Extender kit?  then i'd prefer not to add a rack
  • front bag options, how big is "too" big, which bags are you using?  C-bag, s-bag, t-bag other?
My other questions are more around living/using Bromptons.
  • Some of you mentioned going with the dyno option, my two Rivendells have dyno-hubs because i never want to worry about having lights (or worry about charging them) since i need a way to get home, but with the Brompton, i would just fold it up and call a taxi.   Is it that useful to have them over a battery light?  But i will stop in at a dealer to look at how the wiring is run if i do decide to go dyno hub.
  • Do you carry a lock?  I know that you should be able to take these into wherever you're going but do you keep a lock in case of emergency?  which one has worked for you?
  • Have you had to carry a 'cover' for the bike folded to take them to certain places?  I have the brompton bag that covers it but not sure if i need to carry it around.
  • Are the Schwalbe the only tire options--i'm generally happy with them in the bigger sizes, but just wondering.
  • Are there alternatives for the stock shifter?  it's very kludgy to me, but i'm not sure i would really change gears often enough to change it, i'm use to riding single speed so i may end up using this bike as a single speed with bail-out gearing
Chris, small world, i've been eyeing bromptons on ebay for the last few months, including a few lacquer ones!  Don't worry i didn't bid on any (they were a little outside my budget) so i didn't drive up the price for you!  I love how this bike fits in the trunk area of my MINI perfectly!

Finally, i think Bo captured my feelings about riding this bike perfectly.  I love riding my Quickbeam or Sam, but a Brompton is a totally different feeling it's familiar but different and i really like it.  And the fact that it fits into multi-modal trips makes biking more accessible for times when i need to drive somewhere first and i can't take my fullsize bikes.

Patrick Moore

Nov 29, 2016, 10:44:11 AM11/29/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Dahon owner here, talking about the Dahon-relevant bits.

I own a Dahon Hon Solo, with yuuge 20" wheels, set up with a 68" fixed gear. 35 mm (32 actual) Kojaks.

Lights: I often use the HS for short distance shopping, since it is my only bike with clips and straps. I have a decent clip on battery headlight, but I've just found a Cyo to install with the Sanyo bb generator. I wouldn't spend the money for a dyno hub, for this bike, but for me, a generator of some sort IMO is sufficiently convenient if the bike is regularly used after dark. IIRC, PJW sells an inexpensive but modern-efficient 6 volt bottle generator that might be the ticket.

Lock: Not me; I just fold and boldly carry inside. It won't fold as small as a Brompton, but it will fit inside a shopping cart.

Gearing: fixed, of course. The HS was originally ss fw with an absurd gear of about 52" (IIRC, 44 x 16 X 19" wheel). the 50 X 14 is much better, though I have a 16 on the flip side which I've never used.

I use mine mostly for short jaunts while waiting for one of my daughter's lessons; I've ridden it 20 miles, but the moustache bar (road type, with road lever) hurts my hands much over 10. And it seems that small tires do drag more than larger ones with the same tires.

The real test of the Dahon's usefulness will be to try and carry it folded inside a bus. If I can do that, then it will be a truly useful bike, not just a convenience. Must try this soon; the Blue Line Express to the university stops nearby, and that stop takes me near enough to the oriental grocery store, which I never get around to visiting, to make the bike useful. I'd carry a Timbuktu bag rather than the on/off rack/basket.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Jeremy Tavan

Nov 29, 2016, 11:48:14 AM11/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 6:33:35 AM UTC-8, Minh wrote:
My other questions are more around living/using Bromptons.
  • Some of you mentioned going with the dyno option, my two Rivendells have dyno-hubs because i never want to worry about having lights (or worry about charging them) since i need a way to get home, but with the Brompton, i would just fold it up and call a taxi.   Is it that useful to have them over a battery light?  But i will stop in at a dealer to look at how the wiring is run if i do decide to go dyno hub.
I'm a believer in dynamos because you don't have to worry about batteries. I figure lighting should be a "utility" - always on, always available. That said, I haven't spent on a dynamo wheel for my Brompton yet, because I generally just use it for short to-and-from train station rides on generally well lit streets. But it's on the list!
  • Are the Schwalbe the only tire options--i'm generally happy with them in the bigger sizes, but just wondering.
I know of three common tire choices on Bromptons: The "stock" tires are Brompton-branded but I believe made by Kenda. Then there are Schwalbe Marathons and Schwalbe Kojaks, the latter being available in either wire bead or (exclusively through Brompton?) folding bead. I recently wore through the Kenda tires on mine and replaced them with wire-bead Kojaks, which were reasonably priced online. It's a startling difference in ride quality - I'm very happy with them! Much smoother and more comfortable. We'll see how they last!

I definitely see a Brompton as a good "extra" bike for someone with one or more real bikes. It wouldn't ever replace my Clem or any of my other nice bikes, and it's sufficiently different in terms of use that I don't even think of it as an "n+1" sort of decision. It's just portable transportation that's convenient and quick.

/Jeremy

Jay in Tel Aviv

Nov 29, 2016, 1:16:53 PM11/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hated the stock grips. Quite happy with the Ergons with bar ends. They don't interefere with the fold but do need to be cut. Not at all difficult to do.

I have no problem with the shifters or brakes. Kool stop pads are a noticeable improvement.

I used a Carradice saddle bag for year, moving it from bike to bike as needed. I sprung for a c bag a few months ago and I really like it. So cool how easily it clicks into place. Taxi drivers are impresed. It is biggger than I expected though, and doesn't hold its shape well. Kind of looks like a stuffed pillow case sometimes. Who care? It holds a ton.

I currently have a Brompton tire in front and Marathon plus in the rear. The idea of fixi g a flat in the field scares me. And the tires are light enough anyway.

Finally, a thought on the difference between 700c and 16" wheels. Heavier wheels require more energy input to spin up to speed, but they hold it better. I.e., they have more inertia. The Brompton is easier to get up to speed but doesn't coast as far. You have to add more energy to "top off" the inertia in the wheel since you didn't put as much in to start with. So on a long straight run it should be a wash. But consider the constant stop and go of urban commuting at rush hour. Now the lower inertia means you don't waste as much energy each time you brake. At least that's what I tell the engineers at work when they forget I have gears and insist the small wheel must means I have to pedal more.

Bikes are fun.

Jay

Jay in Tel Aviv

Nov 30, 2016, 1:52:53 AM11/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thinking about this further on my way to work this morning, it seems that my explaination applies to total weight (bike + rider), not particularly to wheel size. I don't remember enough of the physics of rotating masses to know if has merit or not. The bikes do ride very differently, but that might not be the right explaination.

Other upgrades that I forgot to mention:
- Cambium saddle
- MKS folding pedals
- EZ wheels
- The sleeve you can get for the seat tube for it stops at the right saddle height
- The crosspiece they sell for the M bars for extra rigidity and longer life. I don't remember why I wanted it, but it is a useful place to hold the bike if you have to walk it (e.g., through the lobby of my office).

Adding a rack to an L Brompton is not straightforward and quite costly.

Hmm, that's a lot of money in a bike that I don't ride every day. My life got pretty complicated this year and the Brompton was essential in making it work. So, worth it.

Jay

Eric Norris

Nov 30, 2016, 9:58:23 AM11/30/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I went with dyno lighting because that's what I like to use on my bikes. With the Brompton, it also simplifies the fold--there's no need to take the light off the bars or seatpost (taillight) when folding. I had them put an Edelux II on, paired with Brompton's own LED taillight, which is quite bright.

Someone mentioned long rides and touring, and yes, those can be done with a Brompton. The folks a Path Less Traveled have posted a number of videos on YouTube showing how they do loaded, multi-day touring on their Bromptons. And I have heard (but not seen myself) of riders completing PBP on Bromptons. The latter would be a feat, indeed.

--Eric N
www.CampyOnly.com
CampyOnlyGuy.blogspot.com
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy

Minh

Nov 30, 2016, 10:38:48 AM11/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric--On the lights, would you still need to take off battery lights if you mounted them in the same spot as the brompton ones?  for the rear light, if you mount to top of the seatpost would that interfere?  for the front light, does anyone have feedback on handlebar mounting the front light w/o having to take it off every time you fold?

Jay--What did you replace the EZ wheels with?  Just skateboard wheels or something specific for Brompton?  Noticeable difference?
Re: the folding pedals, i'm still trying to figure out when i need to fold the pedal, is it mainly for when i need to place the bike down on it's side?

Jay in Tel Aviv

Nov 30, 2016, 10:53:22 AM11/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had roller blade wheels on there for a while.
When they fell off I bought the EZ wheels.

Eric Norris

Nov 30, 2016, 10:57:46 AM11/30/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My Brompton's headlight is mounted on the fork crown, so I suppose you could put a battery light there, but it would certainly be bigger. As I said, ask the folks at Clever Cycles.

You could, of course, mount a handlebar light that goes on/off easily.

The full fold requires that the seatpost go all the way down, so anything on the 'post has to come off. the Brompton taillight mounts to the frame above the rear brake, where it's protected from hitting the ground when the bike is folded.

I'm traveling and have my Brompton with me. I'll post some photos.

--Eric N
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy

Minh

Nov 30, 2016, 2:34:23 PM11/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Eric,

I'm not following your point on the seatpost needing to bottom out to achive full fold, if i stop it short to accomodate a seatpost light (say 2 inches), won't there still be enough post down to hold the fold?  I know the seatpost touches the ground when dropped down, but isn't that for stability when standing?

Eric Norris

Nov 30, 2016, 2:48:49 PM11/30/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I guess I'm thinking of my particular need, which is to get the folded bike inside a very tight travel case. It won't go in unless the seatpost is all the way down. You're correct that you don't need to push it all the way down if it's not necessary to make the bike as small as possible.

--Eric N
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Dec 1, 2016, 12:45:29 AM12/1/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 6:33:35 AM UTC-8, Minh wrote:
  • grips-i have the foam ones now, thinking about the ergon ones, there seems to be some debate on whether they fit w/o cutting on the M bars
The foam cores are fine and durable. I'm still on my fairly ratty ones after 8 years of on-n-off commuting on my M3L.

  • brake levers-the stock ones feel terrible to me, i'm leaning towards some older suntour mt levers
My Brompton has the old school levers that look like VO City Bike Brake Levers, except with a plastic body. They're fine for my use.

  • upgrading the easy wheels/fender wheels, mines a little wobbly.  i'm also thinking of adding the rack but not for carry capacity but instead just to get it more stable folded up and rolling, if i can do that another way--the EZ Wheel Extender kit?  then i'd prefer not to add a rack
I too thought about adding a rack for rollability. However, after adding the factory Eazy Wheels, I've not had that thought. Nevertheless, there are 3rd party offerings that extend the wheel width-wise, for a more stable platform, even if the factory setup with Eazy Wheels doesn't really topple over easily.

  • front bag options, how big is "too" big, which bags are you using?  C-bag, s-bag, t-bag other?
Ahhh...if you're a Rivendell bag collector, you may end up with a substantially smaller bank account with your Brompton. There are all sorts of bags, from Ortlieb to Brompton's own "Game bag". I have a few (ahem) but the one I use most is a converted Ortlieb "Office bag", made from an old Office bag, the stock Brompton carrier and some P-clamps. It's weather-proof and plenty big enough for my commute into work. My biggest one is the Demano Brompton bag, which is roughly equivalent to Timbuktu's largest messenger bag.

I'll like to point out that I don't know why Brompton dealers don't send testers out with a loaded front bag. Such a setup is significantly more stable than the "naked" Brompton with its tiny wheels and low trail geometry (markedly different from most bikes).

  • Some of you mentioned going with the dyno option, my two Rivendells have dyno-hubs because i never want to worry about having lights (or worry about charging them) since i need a way to get home, but with the Brompton, i would just fold it up and call a taxi.   Is it that useful to have them over a battery light?  But i will stop in at a dealer to look at how the wiring is run if i do decide to go dyno hub.
I retrofitted my Brompton with a Schmidt dynamo hub and a B&M Lumotec IQ2 Eyc light (battery rear). The wiring is minimal (short fork blades) and don't interfere with the fold at all. If you can spare the cash, just do it because it relieves one from worrying about charging the battery. Plus on the Brompton with its folding handlebar (where one usually puts a battery light), it's useful to not have the light stick out in the folded package.

  • Do you carry a lock?  I know that you should be able to take these into wherever you're going but do you keep a lock in case of emergency?  which one has worked for you?
I don't carry a lock with my Brompton and don't see the need to. Everywhere I go, I can just fold and bring it along. I occasionally eat at fancy restaurants in SF, and I just coat-check the thing – the staff is usually so enthralled with it that they are more than happy to deal with it. If I go shopping with it, I just throw it on the cart. So far, I'm batting 1.000 for not needing a lock and not having to need a lock.

  • Have you had to carry a 'cover' for the bike folded to take them to certain places?  I have the brompton bag that covers it but not sure if i need to carry it around.
Nope. People without Bromptons are usually quite surprised by how small and neat it folds, so that positive curiosity works to my favor in not having to disguise it.

  • Are the Schwalbe the only tire options--i'm generally happy with them in the bigger sizes, but just wondering.
Brompton has its own line of tires, but I like the Schwalbe Kojaks the best. They roll well and don't puncture too easily.

  • Are there alternatives for the stock shifter?  it's very kludgy to me, but i'm not sure i would really change gears often enough to change it, i'm use to riding single speed so i may end up using this bike as a single speed with bail-out gearing
My stock shifter has lasted me 8 years without issue. It's not fancy, but the Brompton isn't a fancy bike.

A few suggestions:
  1.  I'm on my third set of pedals, both folding and fixed. I don't know why they keep dying on me, so I keep spares now.
  2. The rear fender gets a bit more beaten up than the front, and tends to crack around the brake.
  3. It's kind of a bear to fix a rear flat because you have to deal with the internal hub. Be sure you practice this before your first rear flat. I like to carry a bone shaped box wrench as it has all the sizes I need for a fix.
  4. The plastic sleeve for the seatpost at the seat tube tend to squeak, so if you're chasing down a noise, don't forget to look there.
  5. There are many Brompton aftermarket parts out there for you to explore, from titanium bits and pieces, to leather goods of all kinds. My poor wallet...
Cheers,
Benz

Minh

Dec 1, 2016, 10:12:17 AM12/1/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Benz,
Thanks for the detailed response, could you share your DIY Ortlieb bag?  I am accustomed to high bag prices (Rivendell, Berthoud, as well as too many camera bags currently in my closet) but the price for Brompton bags shock even me!

stevew

Dec 1, 2016, 10:14:41 AM12/1/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,

A few thoughts on lights - We bought my wife's Brompton off Craigslist with the Shimano dyno-hub/light setup.  It works great for her and does not interfere with the fold.  I think dyno-hubs are a great way to go, and have one on my Ram that I use for brevets, so I would recommend it for a Brompton if you ride at night and are OK with the extra cost.

However, we bought my Brompton new, but I didn't want to pay the additional cost for the dyno-hub setup.  I use the bike for commuting and getting around town, so battery lights are fine for that.  For the front light I got a Busch and Muller IXON Core IQ2.  It's a fantastic light that I mount to the handlebars.  It doesn't interfere with the fold and comes off easily if I need to remove it for any reason.  The taillight took a little trail and error, though.

At first, I attached a Planet Bike Superflash to the rear part of the rail on a Brooks saddle.  This worked OK, but due to the narrow width of the rail I could never get the clamp to be tight enough so that the light stay upright as I bounced along the road.  Next, I bought a Busch and Muller DTopLight XS that I mounted to the reflector mount that sits right above the rear fender.  This is pretty much the same light (battery version) that is on my wife's Brompton, and was mounted in the same place.  This was not a great solution because on this light, the release to open it to replace the batteries is located on the underside of the light, which is hard to access due to it practically touching the fender.  Trying to open the light, I ended up breaking the little tabs that hold the whole thing together, so that it started coming apart as I again bounced along the road.

Finally, I took the Cateye LD610 from my Ram and mounted it to the reflector mount using a CatEye Rear Rack Bracket.  This works perfectly.

One pretty big consideration when thinking about attaching a rear light to the mount that sits above the fender is to make sure that it is not too tall.  This is because when the bike is folded, the fender and light mount are upside down, and are very close to the ground.  If the light is too tall, the bike will then rest on the light, instead of the little wheel on the rear fender, and the Eazy Wheels.  Does that make sense?

Bromptons are great bikes.  Get one.  You need it.  You know you do.

Steve

Chris Birkenmaier

Dec 1, 2016, 3:17:48 PM12/1/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
To address a few questions, I have a set of Ergon grips on the one bike.  It had to be trimmed and I bought it used that way.  The grip feels nice.  On the other I removed the original grips from the start and put on Oury grips.  Like them too.  I replaced the saddles and put on Brooks B-17s.  As far as lights I have various rechargeable lights that I attach when needed.  I just move these lights among my other bikes and the Brompton is no different.  I bought a zippered cover bag (can be found on eBay) just for storage and when I put it in the car just to keep things neat and tidy.
\
I love my Bromptons and actually enjoy the ride.

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Dec 7, 2016, 9:52:55 PM12/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry this took a while.

Front view (about the same size as the Brompton carrying frame)

Back view (three mounting bolts – two upper P-clamps and one lower holding bolt, all using existing screw holes)

Upper P-clamp (using existing screw holes)

 Lower screw (using existing screw holes; may need to file the carrier block slight to clear but otherwise leaves attachment mechanism fully-functional)

On bike (front)

On bike (back). Note: if you get a rear saddleback that "hangs", it's entirely compatible with the Brompton fold. Riv content: Reflective triangle from Rivendell also does not impact fold.

Joe Bernard

Dec 9, 2016, 1:01:48 AM12/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I shall be the owner of a black M3L tomorrow...with an electric kit! It's a low-tech/low-power front wheel motor with a thumb throttle, intended to be an assist on steep stuff or when you're just cold and tired and want to get home. My first Brompton after admiring them for years, it should fit in my little Fiat 500 Abarth just great :)

Joe "a little help, please" Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Christopher Murray

Dec 9, 2016, 11:27:17 AM12/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another brompton owner here. And while I do t have anything of substance to add I wanted to post because I love it!

Cheers!
Chris

Minh

Dec 9, 2016, 6:45:58 PM12/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

It will be interesting to see if you end up using the electric portion or if you switch back to a normal wheel.  In my short time i haven't seen a need for that (but i don't generally see the need for an ebike), especially given the tradeoff in weight--which you would feel even more as a % with a brompton.

It's great to see all the overlap between Rivs and Brommies.

  If anyone is considering the Ortlieb O-Bags, Brompton in the UK are closing out a few colors and given the weak pound it makes for a good deal with a hitch--they will not ship to the US so you'll need to find someone to proxy (either bringing it back or can mail it for you).   It looks like mail will still run 40 pounds to the US, but even then it's a lot less than the US prices.   If that doesn't work for you, i'd still keep an eye on the US sources to see if they close out the same bags in the next few weeks.

Joe Bernard

Dec 9, 2016, 9:13:49 PM12/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh I'll use it. Most people who try assist like it, so if you're a purist about pedal-only then don't get on an ebike ;) At 43 pounds I wouldn't want to lug it all over a train station every day, but that's not what I bought it for. It just arrived and I disconnected the front bag-with-battery and took it upstairs, then came back down for the bike. With just the motor weight, it isn't much heavier to carry than my Appaloosa with stuff in bags and and a full water bottle.

The plan is to use it for shopping trips around here, which is basically a giant drop down to town, then a giant push back home, plus maybe I'll put it in my itty bitty Fiat 500 for a trip to Mt. Diablo occasionally. I've always been a pretty slow rider, which has only been aided and abetted in recent years by age and lack of riding time, and I just don't have the patience anymore for grinding out endless hills; it's the kind of thing that tends to talk me out of riding. I'll report back after I've put a few rides on it.

Slow Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Surlyprof

Dec 10, 2016, 10:17:15 AM12/10/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

Did you buy that Brompton on CL in Berkeley?  That was a nice looking bike.  Like you, I've admired them for years (my old neighbor had two I used to borrow).  I finally have my wife understanding the value of the Brompton and the flexibility it gives to public transportation commuting (the ability to take it just about anywhere and on anything).  I guess she was eyeing a british racing green one in Oakland that was a really nice build for my Christmas present.  Unfortunately, it sold.  Now she wants a list of my dream Brompton specs so that's encouraging.  N+1 (or, since it's a Brompton, N+1/2 maybe? 3/4?)

John

Joe Bernard

Dec 10, 2016, 12:52:40 PM12/10/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, that's the one. She even delivered it to me in an electric Fiat 500, which was very cool. You should take a look at this one in Oakland..6-speed, lovely color, you might get that price down a couple hundred bucks. Good luck!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bid/5888828322.html

Surlyprof

Dec 11, 2016, 11:43:45 AM12/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

Thanks for pointing that one out. I saw the one and their Claret is a fun color. I believe it was the same one that sold for $500 in Oakland about 3 weeks ago (that sold in 2 hours!). That one showed up a week later. I may be silly but I hate to knowingly support that kind of profiteering.

John

Joe Bernard

Dec 11, 2016, 1:15:06 PM12/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree about avoiding folks like that; I haven't been following Bromptons on CL much lately and didn't know about that situation. That bike showing up for $500 would have been a red flag for me in the first place.

I got my first (short) ride in after the rain stopped last night, and am very impressed. It fits me like a glove, and handled fine with the battery-in-Ortlieb-bag on the front. It's possible that the steering may be a little quick on this low trail design without a front load, but I didn't try it that way.

The low power assist is perfect for this application: I was able to pedal it like a normal bike most of the time, then give it a little throttle on the steep parts. I had to drop down to low gear and mash the pedals on the short super-steep section just before home to keep the motor from bogging down, which was just the amount of "help" I was looking for. My former eCLEM was much more powerful, but really too heavy with that big motor/battery to be pedaled without the juice. I like that this ingenious little folder is still a bicycle first, with a sneaky bit of "tailwind" added in.

I can see why Riv owners like these things: There's a kindred spirit visible in their combinations of utility, character and fun. I like it a lot!

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Surlyprof

Dec 15, 2016, 12:18:30 AM12/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Now that a Brompton thread has been started, I have a question for Bay Area Brompton riders.  Is it worth it to get the -12% gearing on a 6 speed Brompton in the bay area or is the standard gearing just fine?  Turns out my wife now wants to get me a Brompton for Christmas since I have to stay a little later on campus next semester.  Brompton's are bus-able and I hesitate to let my Sam ride on the front of a bus.  That may be a silly reason but what do I care... N+1!

Thoughts?
John

Eric Norris

Dec 15, 2016, 12:34:42 AM12/15/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is just me, but ... I found the stock gearing on my 6-speed Brompton to be a little too low. The middle gear on the IGH (2nd gear, I guess) is direct drive, which is the most efficient. However, pedaling at a normal cadence when cruising on the flats required me to shift to the 3rd (highest) gear on the IGH.

To fix this, I purchased a 2-tooth larger chainring from Clever Cycles, which raised the gears enough that I can cruise in 2nd position on the IGH. 3rd position is saved for downhills or other fast sections. Low gears in the 1st IGH position are still low enough for me.

If you're riding in the City, you might need lower gears than I do, in which case the -12% might be best. As always, YMMV.

P.S. If your wife insists that you need a bike ... she's right!

--Eric N
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy

Jeremy Tavan

Dec 15, 2016, 12:40:53 AM12/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
As a frequent Brompton-plus-Caltrain commuter who has owned both a 3-speed and a 6-speed Brompton (the 3-speed was stolen, the 6-speed was all the shop had in stock to replace it), I can say I would be fully comfortable using just the 3-speed for my sort of use. I spend almost all my time in the lower geared cog, only moving to the smaller cog for brief high-speed rides down an underpass ramp. YMMV, of course.

/Jeremy

Joe Bernard

Dec 15, 2016, 12:55:06 AM12/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't have a gearing answer, but you're absolutely right about putting a nice bike on the front of a bus. There's no way I would do that with my Appaloosa..take the Brommie!

David Person

Dec 15, 2016, 2:47:43 PM12/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

My wife and I each own one.  2013 H6Ls with Nitto rear racks recently added, which would technically make them H6Rs.  Been thinking of adding the e-assist kit from Grin Technologies, just haven't gone there yet.  Converted a couple of Alfine equipped city bikes with front hub e-bike kits and we love them.

David

Surlyprof

Dec 17, 2016, 12:16:53 PM12/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric,

Agreed. My wife was right. I now have a lime green 2016 M6R arriving friday from NYCE Wheels. N+1! Of course as soon as I pulled the trigger on the color, my wife said, "hope that doesn't clash with your lime green helmet." Crap! I hadn't even thought that the bike would match my helmet. How embarassing! Guess I should have gone with the Brompton Racing Green (as a Bill Lindsay tribute?). Still looking forward to starting the spring semester with the Brompton and lightening up the Sam for more dedicated road riding in the spring and trails in the summer.

John

Joe Bernard

Dec 17, 2016, 8:27:54 PM12/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
David: I'm really diggin' my Brompton with the e-kit. As I've mentioned here a dozen times over the years, I'm not a high-mileage guy (especially the last few years), I just go on rides when I can. Today was cold and it was getting late..normally in that situation with the long climb home facing me, I would have begged off hitting the pedals. But there was my Brompton all charged and ready for a trip down the hill, so I grabbed it and headed out. A little pedal around town, a stop at 7-Eleven, and I was headed back up hill with a little juice to beat the sunset and dropping temps.

It was great, especially with the little crowd that gathered while I was at the store. They were amazed by the rear wheel tucked under to create a kickstand, and even more amazed when I kicked it out, dropped the bag in place, turned the power on and sailed away. It was quite hilarious :-)

Joe "come sail away" Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Eric Norris

Dec 17, 2016, 8:29:01 PM12/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think that’s a great reason to get a new helmet!

Joe Bernard

Dec 17, 2016, 8:50:26 PM12/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think a lime helmet with lime frame is awesome. Very British and Brompton! :-)

Surlyprof

Dec 18, 2016, 6:24:36 PM12/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does that mean I have to find tweed knickers with some lime green thread running through it? (I do know where I can get some made with reflective thread!)

John "not British enough to pull that off"

Joe Bernard

Dec 18, 2016, 6:46:38 PM12/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
It could be worse. You could be rocking a lime helmet with THIS.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182360048443

Christopher Murray

Dec 18, 2016, 10:36:58 PM12/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

I have a green Brompton, non- matching green helmet, AND a non-matching green book.

Nothing wrong with non-matching in my book!

Cheers!
Chris

IMG_5477.JPG

Surlyprof

Dec 18, 2016, 11:55:06 PM12/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The fact that you're taking a break on a bike ride to read an illustrated copy of Peter Pan makes that extra awesome!

John

Joe Bernard

Dec 19, 2016, 12:13:43 AM12/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wouldn't have thought of combining apple green and white, that's very pretty.

Christopher Murray

Dec 19, 2016, 1:28:39 PM12/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hello,

Thanks. I was planning on orange and white but the green and white was configured the way I wanted and available immediately. I love it and cant imagine enjoying a bike more. Here's a better pic.

Cheers,
Chris

IMG_5178.JPG

Chris Halasz

Dec 20, 2016, 1:20:08 PM12/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

We first saw Bromptons in Paris seven or eight years ago. Returning home, my wife reluctantly agreed to an n+1 used 'new' Brompton via Craigslist, to go alongside our fairly new matching 650b bikes and my recently purchased Tikit.

I never got to ride the Brompton. My wife wrestled it away from me.

I picked up another from a kind and patient seller on the BOB list. It was a P model, and I converted the bars over to an 'M' type, which makes it something like an 'H'.

Seven + years later, the two Bromptons are our only bikes. I have had the pleasure of owning five Rivendell bikes, she has owned one, and we've each owned an RB-1 at one time or another.

I commute and ride on mine about five days per week; she on hers about twice a week.

We rarely do more than 20km on a ride, but that's only because there are parks and coffee shops and bakeries and etc. to stop at along the way.

Cheers,

Chris (in Tucson)

Jim S.

Jan 4, 2017, 10:01:09 AM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Of interest, way back in Rivendell Reader 21, there's a really detailed review of the Brompton in a section called "Neat Things We Don't Sell." There's no byline. I'm guessing that the article is by Grant. Then later in that edition, there's an advertisement for ponchos showing the rider on a Brompton.
Issue 21[1].pdf

Joe Bernard

Jan 4, 2017, 11:42:19 AM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 7:01:09 AM UTC-8, Jim S. wrote:
> Of interest, way back in Rivendell Reader 21, there's a really detailed review of the Brompton in a section called "Neat Things We Don't Sell." There's no byline. I'm guessing that the article is by Grant. Then later in that edition, there's an advertisement for ponchos showing the rider on a Brompton.

Huh. I know I've read that issue several times, and I have no memory of Grant writing about/owning a Brompton. I must have thought it was a funny little folder at the time! Which was silly 'cause now that I have one, I realize I should have done this years ago; it's the best non-Riv I've ever owned.

Pictured below with e-kit, which got me home fast when it started raining Monday.
IMG_20161228_161828.jpg

David Person

Jan 4, 2017, 5:49:37 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe, did you put together the e-kit yourself from individual components or was it an off the shelf kit that you installed yourself?

David

Joe Bernard

Jan 4, 2017, 6:15:52 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
David, it's a kit that NYCE Wheels was selling..the original owner bought the whole bike assembled from them. You can still find it listed on their site, but it's been out of stock for a long time. Apparently New York state clamped down on ebikes, so the in-town market for the kit dried up.

David Person

Jan 5, 2017, 6:20:56 PM1/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the reply Joe.  I was wondering if it was the kit from NYCE Wheels.

Surlyprof

Jan 6, 2017, 1:13:01 AM1/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hadn't heard of a NYC clampdown on ebikes. I could see that. The NYCeWheels site said it was discontinued because Brompton was going to put out their own OEM version in 2018.

I received my lime green Brompton M6R just before Christmas. N+3/4. What a blast! I feel like I just graduated from clown college;) I've also been able to closely match my posture on my Hillborne when riding the bar ends of my albastaches. I saw a NYCeWheels video that showed how you can eek out an extra inch of seat height by flipping the pentaclip over. Still felt a shade too much bend in my knees but, just before ordering the extended seatpost, I tried flipping it backwards as well for a little more extension. The seat/crank center angle ended up matching my Hillborne. Feels great! Still getting used to the little wheels but Bromptons are really fun to ride. Even better, with the Brompton taking over commuter duties, I put my lighter wheelset and Compass tires on my Sam and it's quick and more fun than ever.

Now I'll just need to get over that matching helmet/bike dilemma (Totally worth it... their lime green is really nice).

John

Lee Legrand

Jan 6, 2017, 7:06:52 AM1/6/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I do not own a brompton but from all my research on folders when it comes to commuting by bicycle, compact folding, weight or you just decided to get rid of your car and need to get around using public transportation and bicycle, nothing beats the Brompton.  The only negative I could possibly give to it is, fit if you have usual body part dimensions or if you really like the build bike ride feel.

Surlyprof

Feb 17, 2017, 11:41:04 AM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I refuse to start a new Brompton thread on this forum so I am adding to this one.  Here's the Riv content... I saw Grant's post on the Blug about things being a little slow at Riv and thought, what could I purchase to help out?  I have neither the cash nor the need for a new bike (although the desire is always there).  Then it hit me... could the Sackville Multisack be the perfect pannier for a Brompton?  I've been commuting with the Brompton all semester now and the Touring Bag (T-Bag) fills up fast once the computer's in there with accessories and carrying bag for taking it on the bus at night (no room for lunch and u-lock).  I had to mount it as far back as possible to reduce heel strike and the top does hit the ground lightly when folded but it seems like it is going to work out well.  It was nice to help Riv out at least a little and, as always, Riv helped me out in return.  Is the Multisack the perfect Brompton pannier?  Here are pictures for your consideration.

Joe Bernard

Feb 17, 2017, 12:23:56 PM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's genius, John! My front bag fills up with groceries quick on Safeway runs, and I hadn't quite figured out an auxiliary bag alternative that didn't interfere with the rack-as-kickstand option. Bonus: I already own a Multisack!
Message has been deleted

blakcloud

Feb 17, 2017, 2:01:34 PM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I missed this thread the first time around. I too am a Brompton owner but the bike never really caught on with me. I just found the bike uncomfortable and not fun to ride. Plus when you have a Riv, ask yourself what bike would you rather ride? So the pair, (his and hers) sat in a closet and we used them for when guests came.

Last fall, I had a change of location for my school and I would have to park my Rivendell downtown on the street everyday which was too high risk for me.  So I started taking my Brompton and bringing it into my office so it wouldn't get stolen or stripped.  The more I rode the bike the more it became the perfect commuter bike when in downtown traffic. When the snow and icy streets came I installed studded tires. Now I really like the bike for commuting.

I always tell people you buy a Brompton for the fold, you buy anything else for the ride. When your bike is with you all the time, you don't have to worry about theft and in my city of Toronto, that is a big deal. It's still not comfortable, my limit for a commute is 45 minutes on it. Anything longer I would want to ride my Sam Hillborne.

In the end the Rivendell is a nice compliment to my Brompton.

Patrick Moore

Jay in Tel Aviv

Feb 17, 2017, 3:01:50 PM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I also have a Sam Hillborne and a Brompton that I use for commuting. I am fortunate to be able to park them in my office, so my mainame use for.th t email. Brompton is occassionallt combining my commute with a car trip somewhere else. Otherwise I usually prefer the Sam, but not by much. They are both great bikes.

Joe Bernard

Feb 17, 2017, 5:28:01 PM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have both and like both, too. They're built for different purposes and fulfill those goals, respectively, very well.

blakcloud

Feb 17, 2017, 7:48:52 PM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Sorry about that Patrick. The link wouldn't work so I deleted the message and reposted with the link removed.

I did change out my bars and they are now almost as high as the M bar Brompton, within millimeters. You can see my wife's beside it.

Bromptons This is the link. You can scroll through and see the other photos of the bar.

Thomas

blakcloud

Feb 17, 2017, 7:50:37 PM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

One more Patrick.

Patrick Moore

Feb 17, 2017, 7:51:47 PM2/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Got it, saw it. Thanks.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 5:50 PM, blakcloud <blakc...@gmail.com> wrote:

One more Patrick.

Todd Fahrner

Feb 17, 2017, 9:54:42 PM2/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm part of the, uh, fold. Riv content: Grant wrote sometime around 2000 that if you want a folding bike, get a Brompton. So I did. I'm now on my 4th, and sell them. I also own a few bikes that have nicer ride quality than a Brompton, but in spite of that I prefer my B overall: just so dang versatile. More Riv content: when I was riding my Brompton with a camping load solo from Portland to SF in 2010, I wrote to Grant a couple times about how cold I was in my hammock (insufficient bottom insulation) and he spotted me a VBL and some pine tar soap and a little book of poetry, General Delivery to Crescent City post office, because he's menschy like that.

As for handling and comfort: the low trail steering feels funny at first. Adding a front bag/load helps. So does adding Ergon grips with bar ends to approximate wrist orientation of swept bars or riding on hoods of a drop-bar bike. A titanium seatpost helps comfort on poor surfaces without the boing-boing-boing of the soft suspension bung (use the firm).

As for laughably cheap/crude components: sounds just like eye-rollly criticism of Rivendell for hanging, e.g., Wald baskets and other cheap/crude, dare I say retro, components on super nice frames. Neither Riv nor Brompton fix what isn't broken, no matter how far out of fashion. Only recently caved to popular taste for under-bar trigger shifters and black parts: still no carbon though. Brooks saddles standard? Check. Mudflaps? Hell yeah. Handmade to order, brazed steel, in a country with living wages and decent environmental standards? Yes. Even lugged fork crowns! Ever since 1975.

--
todd

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 1:01:56 PM UTC-8, Minh wrote:
[...]

Joe Bernard

Feb 18, 2017, 2:21:26 PM2/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi, Todd, I've always enjoyed the Brompton stories on your blog. Which reminds me, I've been meaning to pick up some Ergons for my Brommie. Do you sell cut-down ones for M bars?