Poster post

MartyG

Nov 18, 2016, 12:06:01 PM11/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Finally had a chance to frame a poster I picked up from a book shop near Chicago when Grant was on his book tour. They were going to pitch it, and I was happy to save it from that fate. I thought it would be cool to see what posters you have hanging around. Post your posters here!

Wally Estrella

Nov 18, 2016, 2:13:57 PM11/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
NICE!

I picked up these Mich Man items recently from a LBS closing it's doors after 30 years.  I do have a "Saddle up on a Bridgestone.  A horse of a different color" poster that I need to frame.
MichMan.jpg

Patrick Moore

Nov 18, 2016, 2:27:45 PM11/18/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
I picked this one up at Goodwill some 10 years ago, already framed. It has hung in my garage ever since.

(I conscientiously assured the other shoppers and the checkout clerk that I was interested in the bicycle.)

Inline image 1

Does anyone know where I can get these:

Eric Norris

Nov 18, 2016, 2:30:51 PM11/18/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few of my bicycle-related pieces of art. I got one bedroom to go hog wild with bike stuff, so I did. image1.JPG

–Eric N

On Nov 18, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:

I picked this one up at Goodwill some 10 years ago, already framed. It has hung in my garage ever since.

(I conscientiously assured the other shoppers and the checkout clerk that I was interested in the bicycle.)

<image.png>

Does anyone know where I can get these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ERxywogDj9Y/TKdA-IQdrPI/AAAAAAAAAnw/JGG0CNp-H6I/s1600/CCE00002.jpg

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 12:06:01 PM UTC-5, MartyG wrote:

 > Finally had a chance to frame a poster I picked up from a book shop near Chicago when Grant was on his book tour. They were going to pitch it, and I was happy to save it from that fate. I thought it would be cool to see what posters you have hanging around. Post your posters here!

WETH

Nov 18, 2016, 5:57:13 PM11/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice contributions so far.
Here are mine: a Bridgestone and a Hiawatha. Hard to photograph at night with light reflecting off the glass.
I look forward to seeing more offerings.

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 12:06:01 PM UTC-5, MartyG wrote:

IMG_5578.JPG
IMG_5579.JPG

Ryan Fleming

Nov 18, 2016, 7:23:43 PM11/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

MartyG

Nov 19, 2016, 9:25:00 AM11/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Reminds me I need top update this poster.

Marc Irwin

Nov 19, 2016, 9:48:03 AM11/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

I made my entry rather "bike heavy,"  the rest of the apartment has "normal" art.  It does leave an eccentric first impression.

Marc

Julian Westerhout

Nov 19, 2016, 12:15:32 PM11/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Here are a few of ours. Have a couple of others waiting to be hung.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL
IMG_2736.jpg
IMG_2740.jpg

Bill M.

Nov 19, 2016, 1:07:21 PM11/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

A local winery took their name and used this image in their labeling:

IIRC they took pride in their wines having been barred from sale somewhere in the south (Alabama?) due to the label.  The tasting room was a stop on our fall cycling / wine tasting tour, the Giro di Vino.

Bill
Stockton, CA (just south of the Lodi / Woodbridge appelation)

Patrick Moore

Nov 19, 2016, 1:27:55 PM11/19/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Cain't have them nekkid ladys on our store shelves. As much as I admire aspects of the Christian South, whence come my ancestors (those who are not Filipino Catholics), it's too bad that belief has to come with narrowmindedness and, frankly, stupidity.

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Nov 19, 2016, 4:09:56 PM11/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 12:06:01 PM UTC-5, MartyG wrote:

IMG_5768.JPG

Mike

Nov 19, 2016, 7:28:01 PM11/19/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's a print (page from an old book) that we found at an antique/junk shop a few years ago:

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image4.jpeg

John Hawrylak

Nov 19, 2016, 8:17:56 PM11/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
wouldn't mind riding behind her

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Nov 19, 2016, 8:42:11 PM11/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
BTW Marty, I have major poster envy on that Just Ride gem.

Alex "Posters & Patches are my Weakness" Wirth

Patrick Moore

Nov 19, 2016, 10:56:21 PM11/19/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
John, I am not commenting on your comment. I'd like to ride behind her to, though I'd chastely avert my face. Right? Right?*

But I did want to reconsider my earlier comment about the wine label, and put on record some thoughts about the poster itself, and the reaction of others to it.

First, a comment about poster art: back then, commercial art sometimes nudged the lower boundaries of fine art. This one is not the best by any means, but it does show a great deal of talent in the images, their juxtaposition, the colors, and the overall "style." It's one of the better commercial cycling posters, IMO.

Next: the nekkid girl. I certainly have no objection to the display, even public, of the human body; anyone who finds his masturbatory or otherwise lickerish tendencies fueled by this gal is, well, pretty damn' lame. One of the most majestic statues I've seen was a 18" high bronze temple statue which my father bought in India 50 years ago, of Shiva and Parvati, both nude except for small and doubtless diaphanous wrappings about their loins. This one is sacred nudity, and I'm not kidding when I say that.

But the poster: while I don't find it offensive at all (Huh! It has hung in my garage adjacent to an icon of the Theotokos for 10 years), I wonder if the artist and his patron weren't just possibly using the titillating aspect of the female form to sell bikes. ("Hey! Caught your eye, didn't it!") What do y'all think? Is this nudity for the sake of beauty, or nudity for the sake of selling things?

And on to the main point: the dumbhead hicks who find it offensive on their grocery shelves. Sure, I don't find it offensive, but good, believing, not well educated, fundamentalist-type southern folk: don't we have the obligation to respect their limitations? After all, while I can laugh at Wm Howard Taft's condescending description of my mother's people as "Our little brown brothers," I wouldn't joke around about this with my multitudinous aunts, uncles, and cousins of varying degrees of consanguinity.

And some of these southern hick Christians are white! We have to respect their feelings, too! I do think that, as St. Paul counsels, we who are more experienced ought nonetheless to take pains not to offend those whose sense of offense might be less than mature.

* Anecdote: driving my sometimes censorious sister home from the airport, cruising up Golf Course Road. We pass a very interesting, old school road bike, and I crane my neck to take a look as we drive past. My sister scolded me. The rider was a very nubile blonde, but Mom, I swear, I was looking at the bike! And I was, actually.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

MartyG

Nov 20, 2016, 5:45:38 AM11/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Loving all the posters! Keep em coming. M D Smith, that mobile is terrific - what's the story with that? I have another one at the frame shop now, and one or three others to go. This is inspiring me to get them out of the flat file and get them on the wall.

GAJett

Nov 20, 2016, 9:59:05 AM11/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Is this nudity for the sake of beauty, or nudity for the sake of selling things?"

YES. In this case I believe the image fulfills BOTH purposes.  They are not mutually exclusive.
Cheers!

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 2:27:45 PM UTC-5, Patrick Moore wrote:
I picked this one up at Goodwill some 10 years ago, already framed. It has hung in my garage ever since.

(I conscientiously assured the other shoppers and the checkout clerk that I was interested in the bicycle.)

Inline image 1

Does anyone know where I can get these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ERxywogDj9Y/TKdA-IQdrPI/AAAAAAAAAnw/JGG0CNp-H6I/s1600/CCE00002.jpg

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 12:06:01 PM UTC-5, MartyG wrote:

 > Finally had a chance to frame a poster I picked up from a book shop near Chicago when Grant was on his book tour. They were going to pitch it, and I was happy to save it from that fate. I thought it would be cool to see what posters you have hanging around. Post your posters here!

Dennis Hogan

Nov 20, 2016, 12:59:37 PM11/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick--

This is not as gorgeous as your framed goodwill find but it also hanging in my garage.

From, where else, Dennis in PDX

> [...]

Woodstown NJ

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 2:27:45 PM UTC-5, Patrick Moore wrote:
I picked this one up at Goodwill some 10 years ago, already framed. It has hung in my garage ever since.

(I conscientiously assured the other shoppers and the checkout clerk that I was interested in the bicycle.)

Inline image 1

Does anyone know where I can get these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ERxywogDj9Y/TKdA-IQdrPI/AAAAAAAAAnw/JGG0CNp-H6I/s1600/CCE00002.jpg

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 12:06:01 PM UTC-5, MartyG wrote:

 > Finally had a chance to frame a poster I picked up from a book shop near Chicago when Grant was on his book tour. They were going to pitch it, and I was happy to save it from that fate. I thought it would be cool to see what posters you have hanging around. Post your posters here!

RichS

Nov 21, 2016, 7:30:57 PM11/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric, I always liked this poster. I also have a dedicated "bike stuff bedroom"! My contributions to the poster post:

Best,
Richard
Riv poster.JPG
Padlock sign.JPG

lum gim fong

Nov 23, 2016, 2:51:06 PM11/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Canvas.
Bleriot rampant on field of forested leaves.
IMG_6501.JPG

MartyG

Nov 23, 2016, 7:32:26 PM11/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
This one is my all-time favorite. Just back from the frame shop. Andrew Denman is the artist - he's a familiar name at Rivendell, and right up there with Rebour and Patterson in my book. I live along a stream that is often the fishing grounds for the great blue heron, and I think of this poster every time I stir one up from his lunch break.

Check out Andrew's work here...

Message has been deleted

Bill Lindsay

Dec 16, 2016, 4:10:03 PM12/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Picasso

I bought this in Paris

Bill

Jock Dewey

Dec 16, 2016, 6:06:51 PM12/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd prefer the original, but have this nicely framed and prominently displayed.

Jock Dewey / Athens, GA
JD Poster.png

john.h...@verizon.net

Dec 16, 2016, 6:21:26 PM12/16/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
They seem to prefer stiff arms and grabbing the center at the stem
John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

MartyG

Dec 17, 2016, 6:42:35 AM12/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Store-front window displays don't get any better than this.

Charlie R

Dec 19, 2016, 11:52:27 AM12/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

I think the Just Ride Poster should be available for purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie

Ryan Fleming

Dec 19, 2016, 2:13:45 PM12/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Why not? I'm sure there'd be some takers !

R Shannon

Dec 19, 2016, 3:08:45 PM12/19/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Good idea!

Best,
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

Jack Doran

Dec 24, 2016, 12:02:40 AM12/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is a 1975 poster for the long gone Velo Sport Bicycles in Berkeley. The artist is David Lance Goines, whose work Bay Area folks may recognize from Chez Panisse and Freight & Salvage.