Anyone try the new Maxxis Torch 29 x 2.10 tires?

Chris Lampe 2

Aug 11, 2015, 2:59:25 PM8/11/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

I'm intrigued by these new tires from Maxxis.  29 x 2.10 120tpi street tires that come in 1/2 pound lighter than the equivalent Big Apples in a similar size.  I've finally nailed down a great fit and ride in a bike but the substantial toe overlap is bugging me and I want to move up to a 1 1/8" headset due to me overflexing a 1" threaded stem.  I'm pretty much decided on an older canti-compatible Karate Monkey and these tires are at the top of my list right now.  I'm running 40's and the roads I ride are so rough that they just aren't enough so I want a light 700c tire.

Tim Gavin

Aug 11, 2015, 3:16:33 PM8/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Based on their weight (625g) and description, they sound like a fast all-rounder tire for pavement and gravel.

My benchmark tire for that size is the Schwalbe Super Moto.  They're a bit heavier (680g) but wider (60 mm), and roll very fast.  They also can be found cheap from Germany.  My friend loves them (set up tubeless) on his drop bar Karate Monkey.

Leslie

Aug 13, 2015, 7:01:28 AM8/13/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interesting tire....

Have to admit, the tire I'm putting the most mileage on these days (my usual riding is on a multiuse path that, while it has a lot of pavement, also has some graveled path sections), is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Clement-Cycling-XPLOR-Clincher-Tire/dp/B008OHDXA0    Also a 40.   Just barely squeaks into my canti-Rom's frame (if I overinflate, it'll rub).

frank_a

Aug 13, 2015, 7:53:13 AM8/13/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
 I've got a set on my Atlantis and am very happy with them. It's a nice light-ish, and fast rolling tire with a fairly supple sidewall. . The rounded profile makes it a fun tire for bombing around on pavement too.  I prefer them to the Schwalbe Big Apples and Super Motos.

- Frank

Garth

Jul 17, 2016, 8:18:07 AM7/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

  For frank or anyone who may have these tires what do they actually measure in width and height and with what width rim are you measuring them with ?

thanks !

Chris Lampe 2

Jul 17, 2016, 8:24:16 AM7/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for posting this!  I love Big Apples so I suspect I'll like the Torch tires even more!

frank_a

Jul 18, 2016, 11:14:55 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mine measure at 51 x 51 mounted on Mavic A719 rims.

- Frank

Garth

Jul 19, 2016, 5:36:19 AM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wonderful , thanks Frank ! I have the same rims .