Quality of Deore front hubs?

Patrick Moore

Jul 28, 2015, 5:57:22 PM7/28/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Stevie built up a spare front wheel for the '03 Riv using a current model Deore hub instead of the used, silver, road that I wanted. He only charged me $18.95 for the Deore, so I don't mind, but it's rather ugly and I'm thinking of having him rebuild it with a used, better quality, silver road hub. The rim is a silver-on-black Sun/Ringle Equalizer and he used black nipples (yes, I authorized that), so it doesn't look as bad as otherwise; and if the reports of quality are fair, I may not bother with a rebuild.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

Jason Hartman

Jul 28, 2015, 7:06:40 PM7/28/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Midline Shimano hubs are a bargain. They are well sealed, and thankfully, Shimano has continued to use cup and cone bearings. Be aware that they without fail come from the factory with very little grease and adjusted far too tightly.

Open up the hub, squirt some more grease in there, and adjust the cones. You should be good for many thousands of miles.

Jay Hartman

Patrick Moore

Jul 28, 2015, 9:11:12 PM7/28/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks, Jay. Maybe I'll keep it after all.

Philip Kim

Jul 29, 2015, 3:39:28 PM7/29/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, bert...@gmail.com
I agree with Jay. The deore hubs are awesome, slight weight penalty, very well sealed and spins pretty smooth. Not as bling as say CK hubs, but also don't need any special and expensive tools to service. I usually regrease mine once a year after winter.

Ryan Fleming

Jul 29, 2015, 4:10:14 PM7/29/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, bert...@gmail.com
They sound like they're decent hubs (Deore) ...but maybe in retrospect you shoulda kept those dreamy suntour XC9000  front hubs Riv was selling for  $20...