Photos: please consider providing link rather than attachment

David Yu Greenblatt

May 4, 2015, 11:56:49 AM5/4/15
to internet-bob, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I use Gmail and subscribe to several email lists including iBOB and RBW (routing the messages directly to All Mail so my Inbox remains uncluttered). Recently I've been getting an alert from Gmail saying I am almost at my 15 GB limit for free storage. I would rather not pay Google a monthly fee for the luxury of additional storage. Searching my Gmail messages using the term "larger:5m " I found many bike list emails, often of the For Sale variety, with large photo attachments. I humbly request that list members consider uploading their photos to one of the many free sites like Flickr or Picasa and providing a link, rather than attaching large photos directly to emails.

If anybody has other suggestions, I'm all ears. I realize there is the option to browse messages on the Google Groups website but until now I've found it convenient to have the messages in my Gmail as well.

Thanks,

David G in San Diego

Scott Henry

May 4, 2015, 11:59:42 AM5/4/15
to Riv List, internet-bob
How about deleting some of your cached mails....

Ron Mc

May 4, 2015, 12:57:20 PM5/4/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, intern...@googlegroups.com
what do you think about small photos, no bigger than 1024x ?

Jim Bronson

May 4, 2015, 1:32:31 PM5/4/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And it's all in your email?

You can check your Google account to see how much things like Drive and Photos (not email attachments) are using

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!

Jim Bronson

May 4, 2015, 1:33:00 PM5/4/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Philip Williamson

May 4, 2015, 5:02:06 PM5/4/15
to intern...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm impressed. I've been using Gmail since forever, I often back up PSD files by mailing them to myself, I never delete anything (I have a constant 22,222 unread messages) and I'm only at 5.5 GB, including Google Drive stuff.

Do you have a lot of stuff in Google Drive you could delete?

Philip

tarik saleh

May 4, 2015, 6:15:44 PM5/4/15
to Philip Williamson, internet-bob, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had over 10 GB in Ibob and RBW and CR lists in my gmail box (I went from 15GB to 5GB after deleting the entirety of those 3 folders)  which really is 100% due to people attaching photos to the email list. I think attaching photos is bad form for an email list, but I realize from the level of bizarre complaints about trouble replying directly to the sender off list,   many many  people seem to use the google group  interface.

 So I think David's complaint is valid, but i suspect it is a completely lost cause.  Not sure there is a good solution for those of us who are used to old email list style management. The google group interface is awful in my experience, especially for how I like to interact with the lists, but I would pretend to speak for anyone else.

Later

Tarik

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups internet-bob group. To post to this group, send email to intern...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to internet-bob...@googlegroups.com. For more options, group rules and how to contact the moderation team, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/internet-bob?hl=en
---

Tarik Saleh
tas at tariksaleh dot com
in los alamos, NM, USA, po box 208, 87544
http://tariksaleh.com
all sorts of bikes blog: http://tsaleh.blogspot.com

cyclot...@gmail.com

May 4, 2015, 6:31:31 PM5/4/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, philip.w...@gmail.com, intern...@googlegroups.com
The request to limit photos in postings is in one of the stickies for the group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rbw-owners-bunch/sb7xX3pYxHM

tarik saleh

May 4, 2015, 6:46:45 PM5/4/15
to Ryan Watson, Skip Montanaro, David Yu Greenblatt, internet-bob, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, wow, in an admittedly unscientific study, I just deleted all the Bob, RBW and CR mail since April 14, 2015, so not even a month since I dumped 10 GB of material. iBob and RBW were at  ~100MB each, CR was at something like 300 MB. Again,  for less than a month, that is half a GB of email traffic.  Anyhow, from old school email dynamics that is a complete travesty, but again, it is not sitting on a drive in Alex's basement anymore, so the more the merrier I guess.

I usually delete CR a few times a year, but I do value quick easy mailbox searches on Ibob and RBW as there is content I value more often, but again we are looking at 1GB of email a year EACH from ibob and RBW. Which is not text. That is images.  I don't download images on my phone unless I want them, but it seems like we are way beyond a tipping point.

So I think the cat is out of the bag and we won't go back the way it was and it will only get worse, so I think whatever plan I used to have is invalid, carry on into the future you image attaching peoples.

Later

Tarik

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Ryan Watson <rswa...@me.com> wrote:
I have a setting in my Mail app so that it doesn't automatically download images. If I want to see one, I click it and it loads. Most of the time I delete the message without ever looking at the pics. Not sure if that's an option for the OP, but maybe? I personally prefer both getting and receiving pics as attachments, but I'll go along with the majority preference.
For my part, I only attach small size pics and folks can email me if they want larger and l will send off list.

Cheers,
Ryan

> On 2015/05/04, at 10:06, Skip Montanaro <skip.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (I'm sure this will bounce for the rbw-owners list...)
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 10:56 AM, David Yu Greenblatt
> <david.yu....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Searching my Gmail messages using the term "larger:5m " I found many bike
>> list emails, often of the For Sale variety, with large photo attachments. I
>> humbly request that list members consider uploading their photos to one of
>> the many free sites like Flickr or Picasa and providing a link, rather than
>> attaching large photos directly to emails.
>
> Hmmm... Most for sale notes are fairly transient. As Scott suggested,
> why not delete those which don't interest you? I use Picasa (I thought
> Flickr cost $), but generally only use it for stuff which I want to
> hang onto for some reason.
>
> I also tend not to delete too many messages. I'm up to 20GB of 117GB
> available. I don't pay Google for my storage. Not sure why my limit is
> so much higher than yours...
>
> Skip Montanaro
> Evanston, IL

> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups internet-bob group. To post to this group, send email to intern...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to internet-bob...@googlegroups.com. For more options, group rules and how to contact the moderation team,  visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/internet-bob?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "internet-bob" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/internet-bob.

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups internet-bob group. To post to this group, send email to intern...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to internet-bob...@googlegroups.com. For more options, group rules and how to contact the moderation team,  visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/internet-bob?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "internet-bob" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/internet-bob.

Patrick Moore

May 4, 2015, 7:03:20 PM5/4/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Y'all help out a clueless photo app/attachment/doohickey user.

First, I bailed on Picassa a couple of years ago after they (IMEO) f***** it up by making it harder to use and requiring something or other from me that I now forget and that I didn't want to give them. (I also want to bail on Google, but that's harder to do. Gawdarn feature creep!)

Here's my question:

Is hooking photos to the email in the way Jim described below, as with my recent FS posts, instead of pasting the photo directly into the body of the email, GOOD or BAD?

Patrick "we got no links" Moore, with beetled brow furrowed in concentrated exasperation. (I have attache a photo using this method to illustrate my question.)

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:31 PM, cyclot...@gmail.com <cyclot...@gmail.com> wrote:
[SNIPPO]
However, as we are having more technical discussions, often members are supplying specific phone-snapped images which provide an excellent answer to the question.  And it's these which deserve to be in threads, enhancing the discussions.

With that in mind, here's how you do it.  Illustrated with images....

Step One - when you post or reply to a post, you should see a little  skuemorphic paper clip doohickey.  To the right of that will be the magic words "Attach a File"

Click on that.

Step Two - you should get an upload window, and you can drag and drop (with certain...well, most... browsers) and an option to select from your computer.

Now, some of that functionality won't necessarily work from iOS or Android OS's.  So, there's that.  Maybe someone can share an image to this thread from their iPhone, iPad or Android device.

bburton2.jpeg

David Yu Greenblatt

May 5, 2015, 10:44:02 AM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, internet-bob
Hi Jim, yes, it is almost all Gmail: 13.36 GB Gmail, 1.46 GB Drive, and 0.03 Google+ Photos. Some of that Gmail data is from me emailing large documents to myself, but I think the majority is photo attachments sent to the bike lists.

I've been a member of iBOB for a long time and have over 57,000 iBOB messages archived in my Gmail. When I have a bike related question, searching this archive often yields the answer. It will be kind of sad to delete this trove of knowledge in one fell click but I think that is the most sensible thing to do, like Tarik did. Or maybe I will delete all the @googlegroups messages and keep the alex-era @bikelist.org messages.

I've used the digest email option before, but didn't like it much because it entailed lots and lots of scrolling to find anything worth reading. With Gmail its easy to click on the conversations that interest me, and ignore the rest.

I've also tried the web interface, and didn't like it much, either, but that was a while ago. Perhaps it has improved? I'll give it another try.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

- David G in San Diego

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Jim Bronson <jim.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
And it's all in your email?

You can check your Google account to see how much things like Drive and Photos (not email attachments) are using

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 12:11 AM, Philip Williamson <philip.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah. I must have some secret setting in gmail. Digests? I can't see images in my email - I have to click through to the group if something sounds good.
I get the groups in digest form (I miss out on some amazing FS posts, but there's a lot fewer messages to deal with).

Philip
www.biketinker.com

 On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 3:46 PM, tarik saleh <tarik...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

David Yu Greenblatt

May 5, 2015, 11:00:33 AM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hi Patrick,

Sharing a photo of Beryl Burton, OBE, is undeniably GOOD, but yes, you have attached the photo to an email that was sent to me and thousands of other people. The image you attached is only 0.052 megabytes, so no biggie. It is the For Sale and other posts that include multiple megabytes of photo attachments which impact storage space.

- David G in San Diego

Patrick Moore

May 5, 2015, 12:00:54 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks; I think I understand now what the discussion is about. I'll investigate Picassa or the other one, or see if I can figure out how to use what I think is the storage allotted to me with my website for posting photos.

My question was probably dumb enough that I may have sounded sarcastic or facetious, but I really wasn't clear whether Jim meant that sort of attachment or copying the photo directly into the body of the email, as I've also done on occasion.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

tarik saleh

May 5, 2015, 1:25:35 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, internet-bob
Like I said before, these were email lists, they are not really anymore, and we are not really going back, I will adjust, probably by participating even less than recently honestly...

I would caution that relying  on free storage for archiving posts and photos is dicey at best, even with the big "G" behind it, things will change again one day, but hopefully not soon. Google has abandoned parts of their free services before and will again.   Trolling through MTBR and other bike fora for older photos show their share of broken or inaccessible attached images, even though they are directly uploaded to still active services.

I did run some of the email traffic numbers by Alex Wetmore as I was so astounded at the change in the size of list traffic, which I think has become much worse in the last year as the email dinosaurs such as me and David are being replaced by more web based people. . He said he had over a million messages from the search.bikelist,org times in his basement in a few GB.  So we are basically eclipsing decades of traffic volume well within a year.

later

Tarik

Ron Mc

May 6, 2015, 9:22:28 AM5/6/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, intern...@googlegroups.com
time has proved the opposite true.  Photobucket used to be 2GB free, you pay for more and you pay for more bandwidth.  Now 20 GB and unlimited bandwidth is free.

KC

May 6, 2015, 10:33:48 AM5/6/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, intern...@googlegroups.com
I think the other issue with attaching large photos is many people are getting emails on their phones and have bandwidth limits.  My own is unlimited so generally not a problem, but when we were on the road March/April my husband and I relied on our phones as hotspots for our computers and we are limited with that.  And, unless it has changed, I think when I am using the phone as a hotspot the usage on the phone counts towards the limit too, not just what I use for my computer.  With email syncing all the time on both, I am sometimes unintentionally doubling my usage.

I love seeing the photos in the body because it is more convenient, but know it is better for me to wait until I am on an unlimited use connection to see it, so a link works better as it gives me control.  The photos I take on my phone are pretty high resolution on purpose because my husband's hobby is photography and he wants to start with good pics.  I haven't figured out yet how to email a pic from my phone in reduced resolution so I don't know how to "nicely" add a pic if I'm posting from my phone (I may have inadvertently added a high res one before figuring that out - sorry).  When I've posted from my computer, I started just opening the photo on my computer and snipping it to then copy it in.  I think the resulting photo is small enough to not cause a problem.

(We started off the trip by sharing the photos we'd each taken during the day by emailing them to each other.  It didn't take me long to figure out my 3GB monthly hotspot allowance would be eaten up in no time.  One email from my phone to my husband (sitting across the room from me) racked up usage sending to him and then syncing to my computer to my sent folder and then used up the same on his allowance.  Swapping USB drives was a much better idea. although not nearly as convenient)

Philip Williamson

May 6, 2015, 12:52:39 PM5/6/15
to intern...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I took Tarik's point to be about longevity and reliablity, rather than cost.
The web is ephemeral. If Flickr changes their file structure, or is the target of a sustained DOS attack, or Yahoo sells it off, my blog will lose 90% of its pictures. Future generations reading the BOB archives would never know what my Quickbeam looks like!

Jim Bronson

May 6, 2015, 1:02:30 PM5/6/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I thought you could still look at old posts through the web interface?
Or are these iBob posts that didn't come from Google Groups?

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:43 AM, David Yu Greenblatt

Jim Bronson

May 6, 2015, 1:08:16 PM5/6/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I recommend Flickr/Yahoo as opposed to Picasa/Google because Flickr
gives you a free terabyte of storage.

Jim Bronson

May 6, 2015, 1:13:24 PM5/6/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Google has never reduced the amount of free storage available to their
end users. They know that people would jump to their competitors in a
heartbeat. There's a million free webmail services these days.

Where they tend to roll things back is where they have monopoly power
over things. Read about the EU lawsuit against Google, it's pretty
interesting.

Patrick Moore

May 6, 2015, 3:54:45 PM5/6/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks, Jim -- I'll give it a look.

Evan Baird

May 11, 2015, 11:05:17 PM5/11/15
to intern...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can't imagine why anybody intentionally uses google groups. The Google Plus UI is exponentially better. What Google needs to do is generate previews of links automatically. I won't click a link on a mobile device unless I already know what I'm going to see.

Philip Williamson

May 12, 2015, 12:27:02 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Are you trolling, or is there something I missed with google plus?

Philip
www.biketinker.com

Manuel Acosta

May 12, 2015, 12:41:17 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wait you can get these messages via email?

Grin

Garth

May 12, 2015, 8:32:04 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, intern...@googlegroups.com
If you must absolutely save your messages, why not just save them on your hard drive ?   Or just use a google search online when you want an answer to something ?  To think saving them on the web is any more secure is a misnomer . Google can terminate/delete anything it wants at any time . That's the downside to web based storage , you do not own what you think you do .

As far as I'm concerned , this is not so much an issue with the postings , as it is not the posters responsibility what someone wants to do with the message !

Patrick Moore

May 12, 2015, 9:11:21 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Only if you own a computer.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Manuel Acosta <manueljo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Wait you can get these messages via email?

Grin

Ron Mc

May 12, 2015, 9:16:04 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, intern...@googlegroups.com
I open threads anticipating photos for their entertainment value