Where do you mount your lights?

Mark Reimer

May 5, 2015, 4:32:01 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In ten days I'll be heading out west for a ten day tour in Oregon. There will be some long days where we'll be riding into the night, and that's got me thinking about how I have my lights mounted.

I'm using an Edelux II light with a SONdelux hub. The light is mounted to the light mount on a Nitto Campee front rack. It is perfect when riding in the dark on straight roads or moderate curves. It is not so great when you are on trails or tight fast corners, like switch backs when coming down the mountains. Like all bike-mounted lights, the beam is directed forward, rather than into the turn. This has given me a few hair-raising moments when I can't see what's around the bend.

Mounting your light to your helmet is an obvious alternative, so you are lighting whatever you are looking at. However, that's very awkward with a dynamo.

For those who ride in the mountains or on twisty roads, what do you do? Maybe a dynamo plus a head/helmet light when required?

Deacon Patrick

May 5, 2015, 4:38:53 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Two lights? One battery helmet mounted?

With abandon,
Patrick

Tim Gavin

May 5, 2015, 4:53:44 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mount the dynamo light higher, like on the handlebar.  I use the R&M light mount Riv sells with my Luxos U.  That allows the beam to splash much wider, illuminating both sides of the trail.

Mark Reimer

May 5, 2015, 5:05:20 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim. It's a bit tricky with the bag/bar setup I have, but I'll give that a try tonight.

John

May 5, 2015, 5:07:45 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would just augment your Edelux with a good head lamp. And bring extra batteries.

Great for spotting low hanging tree limbs, tight curves, setting up camp, or searching for that mysterious metal thing you heard fall out of your bag.

You can always turn it off when riding the straight & narrow.

John

Ron Mc

May 5, 2015, 5:26:23 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
agree, I like the mounted light from headset level to rack level, then add a helmet light

Tim Gavin

May 5, 2015, 5:33:53 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I put the R&M mount right next to the stem clamp, so the light is in front of and slightly above the handlebar stem.  This mounting position wins no appearance awards, but I have totally clear access from either brake lever to my front rack and bag, unhindered by the light.  And I look like a motorcycle to oncoming cars.  One big advantage of the high mount is the ability to tilt the light downward and use the cut off of the beam, while still getting a wide swath of light.

Of course, I have a very tall head tube (on an XL rigid 26er) and a dirt drop stem, so I may have more wiggle room in this area than on a smaller frame with bigger wheels.

I'd consider fabricating a mount for the front of the platform on your Campee rack.  That would get the light higher and centered but clear of the bag.

A good head lamp probably wouldn't hurt either.

Tim

Lungimsam

May 5, 2015, 5:34:31 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have heard it recommended to use a helmet light, even with dyno lights, for the purpose of seeing where you are turning, like you described.
Also, it'll light things up for night time flat/mechanical repairs should you need it.
Also, no matter how good the dyno light, it is reported that people have seen them fail for various reasons.

Lynne Fitz

May 5, 2015, 5:41:03 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
While I haven't gone there (my helmet light is a Petzl e+light), I've got friends with searchlight-quality helmet lights. One friend has a Stella something or other. We were riding down a fire road in the dark and rain, and the friend with the serious helmet light went first :-)

Allingham II, Thomas J

May 6, 2015, 12:00:49 PM5/6/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

You can use a rechargeable helmet mount headlight.  I use this one, and it’s fantastic – very bright, extremely sturdy, and long charge life.  Expensive, though.

http://www.ibexsports.com/Exposure-Lights-Headlight-Switching-Technology/dp/B00LZXYY76

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ****************************************************

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

Will

May 6, 2015, 4:41:56 PM5/6/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a less expensive solution will work, particularly if your dynamo setup can support a USB cable. I got a Cygo-lite from Riv a couple months back. It is inexpensive, fits on bars, is easily swiveled around while riding, and is fairly bright.

Yes, you can point it into turns with a spare hand if you need to.

That's probably not something you need to do often, but you can do it. It charges via USB cable so you have light available for evenings if you charged during day riding. It's very small and very light.

It's also a great camping light.

Will

Kellie

May 7, 2015, 12:04:23 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Helmet light. I use a rechargeable Dinnote. It is wonderful. Three levels of lighting, small and light. You can attach the battery to the helmut or it comes with a longer cord to tuck the battery in a pocket. Of course, depending on how much you use it you need a source to recharge.

Jeremy Till

May 7, 2015, 12:15:24 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I haven't done a lot of night time trail riding on my dyno setup but my commute used to involve a fairly twisty multi-use paved trail where I would run into the same issue.  I picked up one of those Princeton Tec EOS helmet lights like Riv used to sell, and it's great, totally took care the looking into turns issue.  The newest ones use the current super-bright led's and run on three AAA batteries, so you can either use rechargeables or pick up spares in any gas station or convenience store.  I was amazed at how bright it is, I could easily ride with only it as a headlight.   It also has three brightness settings so you can run it on low beam when it's supplementing another light and get really good battery life out of it.

Kieran J

May 7, 2015, 4:48:41 PM5/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't cycle much in pitch dark, but I do enjoy wearing a Petzl headband LED light when camping and walking the dog on dark trails. It's the best, and I could picture it also doing really well in supplementing a dyno setup like others have suggested.

KJ