Chevoit or Clem jr L

Justin Schoop

Apr 29, 2019, 1:10:07 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife has finally shown interest in a nice frame that's more comfortable than her road bike and surly LHT. I recommended the Clem and Chevoit and she really likes the idea of the step-thru frames.

Hoping to get more insight into the two and what the major difference would be. Thanks!

Joe Bernard

Apr 29, 2019, 1:51:23 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
L is stouter, uses cantis or v-brakes, lower standover. Cheviot is more of a road bike with a taller "top"-tube. I've owned both and I'd say pick your color, brakes, joining method (TIG vs. lugs) and standover..they're both great.

Eric Daume

Apr 29, 2019, 2:30:25 PM4/29/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I vote Clem for the brakes and clearance.

Eric

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, Justin Schoop <schoop...@gmail.com> wrote:
My wife has finally shown interest in a nice frame that's more comfortable than her road bike and surly LHT. I recommended the Clem and Chevoit and she really likes the idea of the step-thru frames.

Hoping to get more insight into the two and what the major difference would be. Thanks!

Mark in Beacon

Apr 29, 2019, 2:40:08 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a Clementine and helped a friend purchase a Cheviot. I would say for around town, and ease of on off-- that is, actually using the step-through-ability -- the Clementine wins. If the idea is more of a sport recreational ride, the Cheviot might be better suited. If the actual step-throughness doesn't matter, either bike is of course pretty fantastic.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Apr 29, 2019, 3:13:51 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have ridden both models and I say you can’t go wrong. But the Clem L is out of stock pretty much everywhere, and a new batch isn’t arriving until late July. But you can have a Cheviot now!

Justin Schoop

Apr 29, 2019, 3:21:28 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Excellent point about availability. I'm sure she would be happy with either. I am personally leaning more towards the cheviot. But I'll need to talk to her and see what she would really like.

Bob Lovejoy

Apr 29, 2019, 3:27:05 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
It is a 59cm and silver, so might be too big or the wrong color, but it seems Chris at his new shop (formerly A1 Cyclery) has one in stock, and on sale, at least a bit.

No affiliation except that I wanted to see A1 before it closed and moved!

Bob
Galesburg, IL

lconley

Apr 29, 2019, 4:19:09 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
When in doubt, get the one with the lugs (Cheviot). I have a Clementine and a Betty (and an MMM for that matter). TIG just cannot compare with the beauty of lugs.

Laing
Cocoa FL

Ed Carolipio

Apr 29, 2019, 4:20:56 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
One other difference is the Clem has the bolt holes on the fork crown, which is useful for bracing a front rack (or running a notionally rear rack on the front. That might also mean the front fork on the Clem is a little beefier than the Cheviot's.

--Ed C.

Justin Schoop

Apr 29, 2019, 4:21:40 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, i definitely prefer the lugs and I think my wife does as well. And that dark green sage color is very eye-catching.

I wonder about the possibility of finding a used chev or betty?

lambbo

Apr 29, 2019, 6:51:52 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cheviot is one of the handsomest most versitile bikes ever made in the history of the world. In my humble opinion.

Mark in Beacon

Apr 29, 2019, 7:48:52 PM4/29/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
counterpoint: I grew to appreciate the yeoman like work a day style of the tig welded Clementine. Mine had just enough flourish, with the seat lug and the beautiful fork with the white paint on black to make it lovely. And the name and decals, just right. Bigger tires, as someone pointed out. And that swing low, much more usable in terms of stepping through the frame. With the Cheviot essentially what you're getting is a lower, sloped top tube. With the Clementine, no problem stepping through that swoop de doop. I would vote it as my favorite Rivendell.

tc

Apr 30, 2019, 8:11:20 AM4/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like the looks of both. But if the Clem is more in your price range, search blue lug clem” in Google and tap images. Blue Lug does fantastic photo work advertising their bikes in my opinion. And they have great component and accessory ideas. There are some beautiful builds there, including Clem-Ls that look pretty, well, svelte! Not all Clem’s have to have to have chunky tires, MTB bars...

Tom

Deacon Patrick

Apr 30, 2019, 12:21:36 PM4/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey, Tom! What are you saying about our "big boned" Clementines? Huh? Huh? Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Adam Leibow

Apr 30, 2019, 4:54:24 PM4/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have both (60cm Cheviot & 59cm Clem L) and disagree that the cheviot is faster/sportier. To me the cheviot rides stouter/stiffer and the clem L feels flexier and "planes" if you believe in that. I prefer the Cheviot for carrying a substantial load (clem L flexes too much) and the Clem L for lighter loads & faster rides. I use the Clem L on group rides to keep up with my local MTB & CX group ride friends. They're amazed that my "commuter" can keep up.

Adam Leibow

Apr 30, 2019, 4:55:32 PM4/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
^as a counterpoint to my own claim, both are amazing bikes and can really do it all. I used to take my Cheviot on the same allrounder group rides and it did great. you can't go wrong. Buy the one that pulls your heart strings most.

Joe Bernard

Apr 30, 2019, 5:01:59 PM4/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a good point I had forgotten, Adam: The Clem L does indeed have a smidgen of flex through the frame. Cheviot has closer to a triangle-like bracing from its taller toptube.

tc

Apr 30, 2019, 7:46:34 PM4/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ahem ... er ... uh .... Rubenesque?  Or, maybe we just leave it as "there's a little more to hold on to" :-)  Whatevah ... the Clem's a beaut!

Tom

Leah Peterson

Apr 30, 2019, 9:06:29 PM4/30/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well, I will say this. The Clem is faster than the Foy (the Cheviot’s forerunner).

My son rode his electric scooter to basketball practice today, and I decided to meet him halfway on his way home. I was on my husband’s cast-off Clem and when my son came into view, he was on the opposite side of the road, on the sidewalk. He was looking straight ahead and never saw me. I did an about face and tried to chase him down (going uphill); I was giving it everything I had. I never did catch him, but I tell you what...I am never able to go that fast on my Betty Foy. No idea why, and it’s not weight - that Clem is heavier, I’m sure. So nobody better dare say the Clem is a clunker! 😄

Sent from my iPad

tc

Apr 30, 2019, 9:41:01 PM4/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Leah, it's not "your husband's cast-off Clem" anymore.  It's "my Clem"...

Dang it, all this Clem talk got me to changin' my Clem tires to Snoq Passes and ordering VO fluted fenders tonight....so I can get that Julian's Clem look :).  Tell me that isn't a smart-lookin bike.  Thanks for the inspiration, Julian!

It's so cool that the Clem (L or H) can be as 007 dapper as Julian's, or as lumberjack rugged as the  @bienslado's....pulling off both equally well.  And the ride is as good as the looks.  I can't believe you get all that for the price...it's crazy, really.  All you who have resisted the Clem, it's time to give in to the force.  It would be so fun to see the real bike nerds on this forum get a Clem and do some crazy builds!

Tom

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 9:06:29 PM UTC-4, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:
Well, I will say this. The Clem is faster than the Foy (the Cheviot’s forerunner)....

Mark in Beacon

May 1, 2019, 7:17:42 AM5/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was comparing a 52 Clementine with a 55 Cheviut. I recall in the original literature, the 59 Clementine was advertised as having a tad more "wiggle" under load. But as I say, and you say, both bikes in any size are capable of just about anything one would want a bike to do, other than try to beat M. van der Poel (or BBDD's speed racer).

Leah Peterson

May 1, 2019, 10:03:53 AM5/1/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, guys, don’t try to keep up with my speed racer - I’m riding it like I stole it!

Sent from my iPad

Joe Bernard

May 1, 2019, 10:19:34 AM5/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
"I'm riding it like I stole it."

Literally! 😂

Kiley Demond

May 1, 2019, 1:37:16 PM5/1/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, oh! I rode both at Riv HQ and picked the Cheviot because I loved the lugs and the shade of orange (which is my favorite color) a pinch more. That choice cost me thousands of dollars over the next few years as I took to swapping out this and that. The Clem standard components would have fit me better initially and I ended up making my Chev more like Clem. The Cheviot's step-thru clearance isn't as significant as I would have liked. And I spent forever trying to get a front fender to work with 55 tires, it's a snap with a Clem. Ultimately, my answer would be that for all day riding and touring, the Cheviot is a better option. For most everything else, Clem is a better option, and you can buy your wife lots of other nifty things with the extra $$;-). (And years before this, I almost bought a Betty Foy. If I had bought that instead of a Dutch bike, I probably wouldn't be writing this at all.)

Leah Peterson

May 1, 2019, 6:51:36 PM5/1/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wise words from Kiley! You are spot on about step-through issue - I really wish it was a lower bar on my Betty Foy.

Mom is getting a little light sage Cheviot in 2 weeks, maybe she will weigh in, too. Over dinner on our vacation, we were trying to come up with a name for her on this forum. We turned it over to my devastatingly clever 10 year old boy, and he offered Grammy the most perfect handle EVER.....

The Granny Gear.

Coming to a forum near you! 😂

Sent from my iPhone

Leah Peterson

May 2, 2019, 5:51:21 PM5/2/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Also, I thought of one last thing to add about the Clementine. Lovely Bicycle did a great review before she fell off of the internet. It’s glowing, and anyone considering a Clem L should read it...

Sent from my iPhone

On May 1, 2019, at 10:37 AM, Kiley Demond <khde...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark in Beacon

May 2, 2019, 10:24:23 PM5/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
She may have fallen off the bicycle writing, but she is still very much on the internet, blogging about her patterns and knitwear business based in Ireland. Accompanied by her stellar photography, of course. Almost makes me want to knit. But I think I'll just buy a pair of socks instead.

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2016/09/clementine-belated-befuddled-bedazzled.html?m=1

[...]

JAS

May 3, 2019, 10:29:04 AM5/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,
Your Mom's new handle is outstanding.  You've got a creative kid!  Best wishes to your Mom and her new bike.  Love that color!