What do Rivendell Riders use for a multi-tool?

Lungimsam

May 9, 2015, 3:11:04 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Specifically looking for something with wrenches on it for tightening fender stay nuts, etc.

cbone97

May 9, 2015, 4:06:02 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Deacon Patrick

May 9, 2015, 4:36:36 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"Made from a wrinkle free 65% poly / 35% cotton blend for long wear and good looks"

Huh?

Patrick Moore

May 9, 2015, 4:55:11 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Park T-Bone for my road bikes. If they are fixed, I cut and grind off the little flat blade screwdriver meant for derailleur stop screws. And, if you don't use clipless, you can cut/grind off the little 2.5 mm (?) allen meant for adjusting the retaining mechanism tension.

Great for fenders, brake cables, and -- last Sat -- adjusting the height of a threadless stem on-road.

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Specifically looking for something with wrenches on it for tightening fender stay nuts, etc.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

Patrick Moore

May 9, 2015, 4:56:11 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owners-bunch

Liesl

May 9, 2015, 5:01:58 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the park mt 1 but as a do most things in a bind but not do most things with aplomb. For example, tightening seat bolts might also risk scratching the post.

I love carrying a collection of loose bonhaus-end Allen's and/or a park AWS-8 ball end 3-way Allen's and a wee slim park CBW1 10mm x 8mm open end wrench along with the mt1. The 8x10 is great for fenders and rack.

-liesl

RoadieRyan

May 9, 2015, 5:16:48 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use a Topeak Alien that is probably about 12 years old but I love because it had those wrenches on it or you could carry a Y wrench  http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Alien-26-Function-Bicycle-Tool/dp/B000FIE4AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1431206107&sr=1-1&keywords=topeak+alien

Lynne Fitz

May 9, 2015, 6:10:39 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I carry a Topeak Rachet Rocket, and a couple of double ended open wrenches (8/10mm). Gets all the bolt thingies I have on my bike; fenders, cable splitters, and so on. For the Rachet Rocket, assess the 1/4" bits it comes with, and supplement as necessary. I swapped out the Torx bit it came with for the one which works on my headlight bolt.

I really like the Rachet Rocket, because 1) it rachets, 2) I don't drop it, and 3) fits in tight spaces, like water bottle cage bolts. With just the Rachet Rocket, those two wrenches noted above (the Craftsman ones seem to be the lightest, but probably must be ordered on-line), my Park MLP-1 and my S&S wrench/pedal wrench, I can completely dissassemble and reassemble my bicycle for packing.

The bits fit in the rachet end, and also the other, straight end. Is that not cool?

(Topeak should give me a commission)

Cheers,
Lynne F

Lynne Fitz

May 9, 2015, 6:22:45 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
... clicking off to order a couple of Park CBW-1 wrenches...

Julian

May 9, 2015, 9:36:32 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Fixit Sticks Replaceables   http://fixitsticks.com/replaceables

Well made, small startup, USA made, interchangeable bits. I love them.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

scott

May 10, 2015, 10:07:54 AM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Park MT-1. Like others have said, it works.

David Banzer

May 10, 2015, 11:31:48 AM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a Park MTB-3 that I use for a bike that lives at my folks' place where I don't have other tools available. Little bulkier but has a lot of tools in it.
David
Chicago (said bike resides in Seattle)

William deRosset

May 10, 2015, 8:20:36 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Liesl,

Absolutely. Loose wrenches are the way to go. I don't bother with the big wrenches (15mm track wrench; headset wrenches, bb tools, 8mm hex, etc), but do carry a 2 (switch cap),4 (bottle cage bolts, stem),and a 5 (most of the rest) allen and loose 8X9 and 9X10 MAFAC wrenches (mafac-copy brakes; fender attachments to frame), a tire lever, a spokey, and, in remote areas, a Ritchey CPR chain tool. The latter two are talismans of preparation more than things I actually have to use.

Note that these bike-specific things supplement a peanut-butter spreader Swiss-army knife that includes convivial tools for modern living (screwdrivers, tweezers, toothpick, scissors, can-opener, blade). That stays in my pocket.

In 32 years of riding sporting bikes, I've never had occasion to use a chain tool in the field, never had to repair a slightly-out-of-true wheel (reset a taco-d one? sure), and I've only broken one spoke. I've really needed more than those basic items twice--once a track wrench for a new set of cranks (carried for the first thousand miles now), and once a full set of Phil bottom bracket tools, a shop vise, a dead-blow hammer, and full set of crank stuff (I don't use Phil bottom brackets anymore). Everything else was either immediately ride-ending (crash+damage/injury), or I could live with it until I got 'round to fixing it. I could probably just carry a 5mm hex key to make micro-adjustments to my seat and call it good, but then I'd break a chain for the first time....

Best,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO

drew

May 10, 2015, 10:28:51 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
topeak alien 2. (3 looks even better). you can pretty much put a bike together with it.

cbone97

May 11, 2015, 7:36:14 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In fairness, it has never wrinkled and does look pretty good.

John

May 12, 2015, 1:10:04 PM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wrinkled???

Garth

May 12, 2015, 2:24:37 PM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

 Yes .. the Parl MT-1 is great , if you get a good one.  I bought mine from REI and found 2 out 3 were out of spec in regards to the allen wrenches to be too small , meaning they fit hex heads loosely, not good !   I have many other Park wrenches for home use and they all fit hex heads properly.   So just because it says multi-tool does not mean it actually fits whatever it is intended for , properly . Check 'em first !

qwerty

May 15, 2015, 12:26:13 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just came across this, which gets my vote as the most innovative and
unique multi tool yet. Hope to learn more once they're out in the
field more.
http://bicycletimesmag.com/spotlight-leatherman-tread-wearable-multi-tool/

Mike G.

Manuel Acosta

May 15, 2015, 1:52:56 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Toshi Takeuchi

May 15, 2015, 2:15:00 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ha, I carry a spoke tool and chain tool, but haven't used the chain tool in many years.  However, my buddy used the chain tool a couple of weeks ago, and I've lent out my spoke tool several times.  I guess as long as you are riding with me, you don't have to worry about carrying too much stuff!

Toshi

Matthew J

May 15, 2015, 3:35:46 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I bring my chain tool on longer rides and on tour.  Never had to use for my chain, but have stopped to help other cyclists in need of a chain tool.

grrlyrida

May 23, 2015, 9:08:30 PM5/23/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Topeak 9 mini and topeak 11 mini