Call for Artists: The LXQt project needs you

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 6, 2013, 2:54:08 AM11/6/13
to lxde-list, razo...@googlegroups.com
Hi lists

LXQt is looking for volunteer artists who would be willing to create
some artwork for the project.

Namely, we are currently looking for:
- A new logo
- A concept for a greeter theme (that will be extended to the desktop)
- (Once the above is done) An evaluation of defaults: matching a Qt,
icon and desktop theme that we'll recommend as default.

If you are interested, please reply here or contact me directly for details.

J. Leclanche

Caig

Nov 7, 2013, 11:41:26 AM11/7/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Hi,
interesting initiative!
Some questions just to have a more precise overview of the possible task:
Is LXQt the definitive name? Has "LX" the same meaning as in LXDE?
What display manager will be used to implement the greeter theme concept? Knowing the software capabilities can help to design a doable theme.

Thanks
Caig

PCMan

Nov 7, 2013, 12:01:34 PM11/7/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com
The merged project is temporarily named lxde-qt (=lxde + razor-qt).
Currently we're focusing on integrating what we have and push a public release first. After things are more stable and existing users of both projects can smoothly migrate to the new merged project, a rename is possible if someone can fingure out a better name.
About lxqt, because it's looks redundent if you name a program lxde-qt-panel, we just use lxqt- prefix for all of the programs.

Thanks!

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 7, 2013, 12:08:21 PM11/7/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
SDDM is the recommended DM but I would guess LightDM will eventually
get a theme too.

As for LXQt, yes, it seems to be the definitive name.

Thanks!
J. Leclanche
> --
> --
> "Razor-qt" group.
> email to razor-qt+u...@googlegroups.com.

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 7, 2013, 12:11:36 PM11/7/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Just to make sure, there's no need to create art containing the name
itself (for now).
J. Leclanche

Caig

Nov 7, 2013, 3:10:37 PM11/7/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Ok, thanks, clearer idea of the task.
I asked about the name because, in general, a logo can be inspired by the product name, meaning, various associations, etc
Caig

Rafael Laguna

Nov 8, 2013, 2:14:10 PM11/8/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Hi, all. I'm the Lubuntu artwork designer, and I'm really interested on this project. i have my proposals, including a new logo and wallpaper. Where can I upload them to discuss here? Or can I just post some links?

Thanks.

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 8, 2013, 7:32:51 PM11/8/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Links would be great if you already have proposals :)
J. Leclanche

Rafael Laguna

Nov 9, 2013, 8:28:10 AM11/9/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Okay. I've been making some experiments, two sketches. Still using the LXDE logo in one of them, and completely modified on the second one.

Here: http://i.imgur.com/qlbk15X.png

El dissabte 9 de novembre de 2013 1:32:51 UTC+1, Jerome Leclanche va escriure:

Ben

Nov 12, 2013, 11:16:40 PM11/12/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
I really like the second one.

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 13, 2013, 12:06:40 AM11/13/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
I like the logo in the second one, but I'm not a big fan of the typography.

Do you have more experiments?
J. Leclanche

Caig

Nov 13, 2013, 5:02:48 AM11/13/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list

I'm not yet ready to propose something for the greeter theme (too used to all the nasty limitations of KDM :P).

Caig

Petr Vaněk

Nov 13, 2013, 5:10:37 AM11/13/13
to Caig, razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list

Caig

Nov 13, 2013, 5:17:11 AM11/13/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list

2013/11/13 Petr Vaněk <pe...@yarpen.cz>

it looks fine (except my personal bad feeling of LX-Qt kerning)

Thanks, do you mean precisely the spacing between the 2 parts of the name or the color difference?
(I have a personal bad feeling with the name :P)

Caig

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 13, 2013, 5:28:01 AM11/13/13
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Caig <giaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> my logo proposal
> https://raw.github.com/Caig/LXQt-graphics/master/lxqt_logo_proposal.png

I like where it's going. Can you try reusing Qt's green instead of black?

> I'm not yet ready to propose something for the greeter theme (too used to
> all the nasty limitations of KDM :P).

A concept is fine; the greeter doesn't have to be an actual
implementation yet, I can work on that.

> Caig

Caig

Nov 13, 2013, 7:17:05 AM11/13/13
2013/11/13 Jerome Leclanche <ady...@gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Caig <giaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> my logo proposal
> https://raw.github.com/Caig/LXQt-graphics/master/lxqt_logo_proposal.png

I like where it's going. Can you try reusing Qt's green instead of black?

Here is the green variation https://raw.github.com/Caig/LXQt-graphics/master/lxqt_logo_proposal_requested_green_variation.png
Imo it loses a lot of incisiveness in a lower contrast color variation. I feel it's also less clear what is the main color.

> I'm not yet ready to propose something for the greeter theme (too used to
> all the nasty limitations of KDM :P).

A concept is fine; the greeter doesn't have to be an actual
implementation yet, I can work on that.

yes, sure, i'm just focusing on the concept, not the implementation.
SDDM offers a lot more than KDM, I'm trying to see the task from this broader point of view :)

Caig

> Caig
>
> --
> --
> "Razor-qt" group.
> email to razor-qt+u...@googlegroups.com.

Petr Vanek

Nov 13, 2013, 7:24:18 AM11/13/13
to Caig, razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
yes, spacing. It seems like the black part is too narrow to blue one and the blue part is growing a bit (vision effect only probably).

Well, the name is different topic ;)
on the other side the logo itself (that bird) is pretty cool.

Caig

Nov 13, 2013, 7:44:23 AM11/13/13
2013/11/13 Petr Vanek <pe...@yarpen.cz>

On 11/13/2013 11:17 AM, Caig wrote:

2013/11/13 Petr Vaněk <pe...@yarpen.cz>

it looks fine (except my personal bad feeling of LX-Qt kerning)

Thanks, do you mean precisely the spacing between the 2 parts of the name or the color difference?
(I have a personal bad feeling with the name :P)

yes, spacing. It seems like the black part is too narrow to blue one and the blue part is growing a bit (vision effect only probably).

Well, the name is different topic ;)
on the other side the logo itself (that bird) is pretty cool.

Thanks, what bird is it (wants to resemble)? :)

Caig

Petr Vanek

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 13, 2013, 8:38:48 AM11/13/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
The LXDE bird is a swallow iirc. Or am I thinking of some Gentoo fork.
I agree on the "main color" argument but I'm not a fan of the blue & black.

Anyway, regardless of colors I like the bird itself. Since we don't
seem to have anyone else stepping up I suggest adopting little Helix
as our mascot and LXQt's logo ;)

Can you send me a few variations on color and shape (high res without
text)? I'll use one of them in future presentations.

J. Leclanche

Petr Vanek

Nov 13, 2013, 9:11:27 AM11/13/13
to Jerome Leclanche, razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
yep, source version would be great (svg, whatever) to adopt it for
distributions.
Eg. green for suse etc.
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Artwork_guidelines#Colors

Alexis López Zubieta

Nov 13, 2013, 4:48:32 AM11/13/13
El 13/11/13 12:17, Caig escribió:
2013/11/13 Jerome Leclanche <ady...@gmail.com>
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Caig <giaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> my logo proposal
> https://raw.github.com/Caig/LXQt-graphics/master/lxqt_logo_proposal.png

I like where it's going. Can you try reusing Qt's green instead of black?

Here is the green variation https://raw.github.com/Caig/LXQt-graphics/master/lxqt_logo_proposal_requested_green_variation.png
Imo it loses a lot of incisiveness in a lower contrast color variation. I feel it's also less clear what is the main color.

Don't like. I think that the black one is better, by the same things you say.

> I'm not yet ready to propose something for the greeter theme (too used to
> all the nasty limitations of KDM :P).

A concept is fine; the greeter doesn't have to be an actual
implementation yet, I can work on that.

yes, sure, i'm just focusing on the concept, not the implementation.
SDDM offers a lot more than KDM, I'm trying to see the task from this broader point of view :)

Caig

Great work !!!

Best wishes

Caig

Nov 13, 2013, 12:05:43 PM11/13/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
2013/11/13 Jerome Leclanche <ady...@gmail.com>

The LXDE bird is a swallow iirc. Or am I thinking of some Gentoo fork.
I agree on the "main color" argument but I'm not a fan of the blue & black.

Anyway, regardless of colors I like the bird itself. Since we don't
seem to have anyone else stepping up I suggest adopting little Helix
as our mascot and LXQt's logo ;)

Can you send me a few variations on color and shape (high res without
text)? I'll use one of them in future presentations.

Any particular idea I can try? Usually a logo, once it is in its definitive state, has a well defined color and shape, so I think it's better to reach the definitive state before to use it. It's a matter of identity and recognizability.

2013/11/13 Petr Vanek <pe...@yarpen.cz>

yep, source version would be great (svg, whatever)

sure, it's made with Inkscape.

What is the best license for the project I can use to release the source (proper svg metadata)?

to adopt it for
distributions.
Eg. green for suse etc.
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Artwork_guidelines#Colors

Nice idea, an easy way distributions can use to customize the logo if they want.

2013/11/13 Alexis López Zubieta <azub...@estudiantes.uci.cu>

Great work !!!

Best wishes

Thanks!
Caig

Joshua Krämer

Dec 21, 2013, 5:26:14 PM12/21/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Dear list,

let me show you another proposal for a new LXQt logo.  It's only a draft.  The image includes two variations (positive and negative):

I think a flying swallow would be a nice metaphor for LXQt:  steadily gliding forward, calm and lightweight.

Kind regards,
Joshua

Jerome Leclanche

Dec 21, 2013, 5:31:36 PM12/21/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
It looks nice but I much prefer Caig's version.
J. Leclanche