Cannot get Rattle Window/GUI to Pop Up

Angela Futrell

Jun 19, 2017, 2:21:55 AM6/19/17
to rattle-users
Cannot get Rattle to pop up.  I have tried many, many commands, downloaded the Gtk+ package, etc.  Here is what I get after downloading all packages.  Once I get to the rattle(), it gives me an error message:

> > library("rattle")
Rattle: A free graphical interface for data mining with R.
Version 4.1.0 Copyright (c) 2006-2015 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
> rattle()
Error in method(obj, ...) : Invalid root element: 'requires'
> 'rattle()'
[1] "rattle()"

Graham Williams

Jun 19, 2017, 2:26:11 AM6/19/17
to rattle-users
Essentially

> install.packages("rattle", repos="https://rattle.togaware.com", type="source")

should fix it.

Regards,
Graham

Angela Futrell

Jun 20, 2017, 8:07:05 PM6/20/17
to rattle-users
In what order should I do it?

I've gone to that link and it still comes up the same.  Here is my script below.  Is is correct?

#1 Install RGtk2 Package

install.packages("RGtk2")
install.packages("rattle", dependencies=TRUE)

#2 Restart R

install.packages("rattle", repos="https://rattle.togaware.com", type="source")
library(rattle)
rattle()

On 19 June 2017 at 14:18, Angela Futrell <angelca...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cannot get Rattle to pop up.  I have tried many, many commands, downloaded the Gtk+ package, etc.  Here is what I get after downloading all packages.  Once I get to the rattle(), it gives me an error message:

> > library("rattle")
Rattle: A free graphical interface for data mining with R.
Version 4.1.0 Copyright (c) 2006-2015 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
> rattle()
Error in method(obj, ...) : Invalid root element: 'requires'
> 'rattle()'
[1] "rattle()"

Graham Williams

Jun 20, 2017, 8:36:05 PM6/20/17
to rattle-users
That looks right. Could you share the output of rattleInfo() for reference.

You could try the following to revert to a working combination:

> install.packages("rattle")
> install.packages("https://togaware.com/access/RGtk2_2.20.31.zip", repos=NULL)

Please let me know how you go.

Regards,
Graham

Angela Futrell

Jun 20, 2017, 8:55:40 PM6/20/17
to rattle-users
This is not working either.  Someone showed me the below command and it at least got the pop up window to come up however, everything is grayed out and I cannot use it.  All the buttons are dead and don't execute any commands.

rattle(useGtkBuilder=TRUE)

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 2:26:11 AM UTC-4, Graham Williams wrote:
Essentially

> install.packages("rattle", repos="https://rattle.togaware.com", type="source")

should fix it.

Regards,
Graham

On 19 June 2017 at 14:18, Angela Futrell <angelca...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cannot get Rattle to pop up.  I have tried many, many commands, downloaded the Gtk+ package, etc.  Here is what I get after downloading all packages.  Once I get to the rattle(), it gives me an error message:

> > library("rattle")
Rattle: A free graphical interface for data mining with R.
Version 4.1.0 Copyright (c) 2006-2015 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
> rattle()
Error in method(obj, ...) : Invalid root element: 'requires'
> 'rattle()'
[1] "rattle()"

Marta

Jun 20, 2017, 8:56:08 PM6/20/17
to rattle-users
Hi Graham,

I did have the same errors all the time and when my rattle installed it asked for rgtk2 when i downloaded with all the dependencies then my rattle disappeared it was a devils circle. I tried to install in other order the libraries as well.

I played around for a while and it still not ok but needed rattle urgently so the temporary solution is that I went back to the older version of R and older version of the libraries.Now rattle works perfectly but some other libraries are not compatible with old R... :(

Kind regards,

2017. június 19., hétfő 7:26:11 UTC+1 időpontban Graham Williams a következőt írta:
Essentially

> install.packages("rattle", repos="https://rattle.togaware.com", type="source")

should fix it.

Regards,
Graham

On 19 June 2017 at 14:18, Angela Futrell <angelca...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cannot get Rattle to pop up.  I have tried many, many commands, downloaded the Gtk+ package, etc.  Here is what I get after downloading all packages.  Once I get to the rattle(), it gives me an error message:

> > library("rattle")
Rattle: A free graphical interface for data mining with R.
Version 4.1.0 Copyright (c) 2006-2015 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
> rattle()
Error in method(obj, ...) : Invalid root element: 'requires'
> 'rattle()'
[1] "rattle()"

Graham Williams

Jun 21, 2017, 12:25:27 AM6/21/17
to rattle-users
Thanks for the feedback. It has become a little tricky. I've tested a few configurations and find that the latest version of R with rattle installed from CRAN (an older version of rattle) and an archived copy of RGtk2 installed from CRAN seem to work.

So

> install.packages("rattle")

And then for Linux or Windows respectively:

> install.packages("https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/RGtk2/RGtk2_2.20.31.tar.gz", repos=NULL)

> install.packages("https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3/RGtk2_2.20.31.zip", repos=NULL)

Hope that works for you and others.

Regards,