Open source projects

Guthrie Price

Oct 19, 2017, 6:40:13 PM10/19/17
to Racket Users
Hello all,

I am very new to the community and am looking for an open source project to work on. I was wondering if anybody knows of some good resources for finding open source projects or any recommendations. I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you for your time,
Gus

James

Oct 19, 2017, 6:59:33 PM10/19/17
to Racket Users

> I am very new to the community and am looking for an open source project to work on. I was wondering if anybody knows of some good resources for finding open source projects or any recommendations. I appreciate any help I can get.

Do you have any particular areas of skill like networking, cryptography, data compression, etc.?

James

Jack Firth

Oct 20, 2017, 1:45:31 AM10/20/17
to Racket Users
Welcome, we're very glad to have you!

Open source Racket projects are scattered all over the place, but here are some good ways to find actively maintained and hopefully accessible projects that might interest you:

- Watch some talks from recent RacketCons, especially the most recent one (which, conveniently, was barely a week and a half ago). A lot of talks are on interesting and wildly unusual open source projects, and as a bonus most presenters give out their contact information so people can reach out if they have questions or might be interested in contributing. You can find information on the most recent RacketCon at con.racket-lang.org including video and livestream recordings, talk descriptions, and slides for each talk. Info for previous RacketCons are available at con.racket-lang.org/2016/, con.racket-lang.org/2015/, etc. Alas we don't yet have individual prettily-edited videos for each talk at RacketCon 2017; they're only viewable via the saved livestream on youtube.
- Search the official package catalog at pkgs.racket-lang.org for packages whose descriptions sound interesting and which are hosted on GitHub / GitLab / some other platform that makes it easy to contribute. Every package includes links to its docs and repostiory, as well as a contact email address for whoever maintains it. If you're not looking for a package in a particular problem domain your best bet is probably to restrict your search to only packages that build, have passing tests, and have docs. Decent issue / todo lists in the project repo are a nice bonus.
- Browse around the front page of the online Racket documentation at docs.racket-lang.org. The online docs includes all docs from all successfully built user packages at pkgs.racket-lang.org, grouped into top level categories. Once you find some docs for a project that's interesting, it's (hopefully!) not difficult to find the package containing those docs by searching pkgs.racket-lang.org.
- If you want to try something more ambitious, you can take a peek at the Github repos in the "racket" organization (https://github.com/racket). These are all (or mostly? not sure) packages in the "main distribution", meaning they ship directly with Racket and don't have to be installed by users. Contributing to these packages can be a little trickier because sometimes they depend on the latest version of Racket's core, meaning you'll have to compile Racket's core from source.

Also, all throughout this month Github and DigitalOcean are hosting an online event called Hacktoberfest. By signing up at https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ you'll get a free tshirt mailed to you if you submit four or more pull requests to any public repositories on Github before October ends. It doesn't matter how large each pull request is and a pull request to your own repo counts. And speaking from experience, they're very comfortable shirts.

Guthrie Price

Oct 20, 2017, 1:48:12 AM10/20/17
to Racket Users
I am currently a senior in college. I have done some research in machine learning and computer security, but I wouldn't say I am particularly proficient at either. I have interests in different areas of computing including machine learning, computer security, graphics, and numerical analysis. However I do not necessarily want a project in these areas. I am expecting some significant overhead in order to be able to begin making meaningful contributions. My main goal is join a community and help where I can while also enriching myself.

Gus

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 20, 2017, 6:14:41 AM10/20/17
to Jack Firth, Racket Users
There is also a suggested projects page on the wiki

I don’t know if it is still accurate.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Kind regards,
Stephen

Vincent St-Amour

Oct 20, 2017, 11:05:19 AM10/20/17
to Stephen De Gabrielle, Jack Firth, Racket Users
That page is pretty out of date.

This list is more focused on contributing to Racket itself, but is more
up to date. It was compiled for the "office hours" portion of the last
RacketCon, ~2 weeks ago.

https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/Racketeer-Office-Hours-2017-Task-Ideas

Vincent

John Clements

Oct 20, 2017, 12:42:30 PM10/20/17
to Vincent St-Amour, Stephen De Gabrielle, Jack Firth, Racket Users, w...@cs.utah.edu

> On Oct 20, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Vincent St-Amour <stam...@eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>
> That page is pretty out of date.
>
> This list is more focused on contributing to Racket itself, but is more
> up to date. It was compiled for the "office hours" portion of the last
> RacketCon, ~2 weeks ago.
>
> https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/Racketeer-Office-Hours-2017-Task-Ideas

There’s something that I now want, and I’m not sure which list to add it to. Following a discussion with William Hatch about shell usage in Racket, what I think I really want is auto-completion of filenames in DrRacket, probably using a pop-up. That is: I type a string containing a path fragment, and then I hit, say, C-c C-r or some other unused combination (ha!), and I get a dialog that will allow me with a small number of keystrokes to auto-complete to the filename that I’m looking for.

Should be not-too-impossible.

If I get a spare ten hours, I’d love to do it myself…

Which list should I add this to?

John

cc: william hatch except I’m too busy to

Vincent St-Amour

Oct 20, 2017, 1:02:32 PM10/20/17
to John Clements, Vincent St-Amour, Stephen De Gabrielle, Jack Firth, Racket Users, w...@cs.utah.edu
I think there's value to having a general projects list, beyond the
office hours one.

The older list was an attempt of that, which failed at that purpose by
becoming more of a "brain dump" area, and falling into disrepair.

I think that for such a list to succeed, it would need to be actively
maintained and curated by someone. John, would you be willing to do it?

Vincent

Robby Findler

Oct 21, 2017, 12:16:35 AM10/21/17
to John Clements, Vincent St-Amour, Jack Firth, Racket Users, Stephen De Gabrielle, w...@cs.utah.edu
Do you want drr to open the files? If so, is cmd-shift-O followed by typing an open double quote close enough?

Robby

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 22, 2017, 1:37:24 PM10/22/17
to Robby Findler, John Clements, Vincent St-Amour, Jack Firth, Racket Users, w...@cs.utah.edu
auto-completion of filenames in DrRacket, probably using a pop-up. That is: I type a string containing a path fragment, and then I hit, say, C-c C-r or some other unused combination (ha!), and I get a dialog that will allow me with a small number of keystrokes to auto-complete to the filename that I’m looking for.

I'd like that too.  While cmd-shift-O is great fro require paths, I find navigating after the " difficult to use get to my ~/Dev/projectname folder (I may be doing it wrong).

I have added 'auto-completion of filenames in DrRacket' to https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/Larger-Projects
Kind regards,

Stephen

>> --
>> Kind regards,
>> Stephen
>> --

John Clements

Oct 22, 2017, 5:42:45 PM10/22/17
to Stephen De Gabrielle, Robby Findler, Vincent St-Amour, Jack Firth, Racket Users, w...@cs.utah.edu
+1. The specific use case for me is super-scripty things like this:

(csv->list “~/clements/datasets/poly-dashboards/2178-data-schedule.csv’)

… to load a file from disk. One could make the claim that I should choose paths and filenames that I always remember, but in fact, shell-based completion is super-useful for this task, and in fact, to generate this path, I just switched to the shell. In fact, the easiest way to implement this would probably just be to run tcsh (or your favorite shell) in a wrapper that taps into the filename completion engine, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

John

> On Oct 22, 2017, at 10:37, Stephen De Gabrielle <spdega...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> auto-completion of filenames in DrRacket, probably using a pop-up. That is: I type a string containing a path fragment, and then I hit, say, C-c C-r or some other unused combination (ha!), and I get a dialog that will allow me with a small number of keystrokes to auto-complete to the filename that I’m looking for.
>
> I'd like that too. While cmd-shift-O is great fro require paths, I find navigating after the " difficult to use get to my ~/Dev/projectname folder (I may be doing it wrong).
>
> I have added 'auto-completion of filenames in DrRacket' to https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/Larger-Projects

> >> --
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Stephen
> >> --

Neil Van Dyke

Oct 22, 2017, 7:05:07 PM10/22/17
to Racket Users
I could be missing something, but I think a filename completion
procedure (not the DrRacket integration part) might be a doable exercise
for a budding Racket programmer, so long as they already have a basic
familiarity with using the filesystem and shell as a normal user.

Point them to the "Paths" and "Filesystem" sections of the Racket
Reference, and tell them they just need a few procedures from each
(probably including `split-path` and `directory-list`).

They might want to first make a procedure like this:

(path-completions path-or-string?)
==> (listof completion-string)

And then make a second procedure, which uses the first procedure, then
adds an additional step, to let it return two values instead of one:

(path-completion-prefix-and-suffixes path-or-string?)
==> (values prefix-string-shared-by-all-completions
            (listof completion-remainder-after-any-shared-prefix-string))

Then, when a user is interactively doing completion (like when they hit
the Tab key in a shell), the first value returned by that second
procedure is what would get added automatically to the path.  The second
value is the list of possible completions following that shared prefix.

There are a few special cases to consider, but most should be easy to
recognize and work through, just by thinking methodically about each
point in your code.  For example, what do you do when the input path is
relative, or when when there are no completions, or when the path is
invalid or nonexistent or permissions-inaccessible, or when your path is
already complete.  One case that's not obvious from the code: if the
path is already complete and is a directory, a shell usually completes a
directory separator, so consider whether you want to do that.

To make unit tests for these, they'll have to also look at more of the
"Filesystem" section of the Racket Reference, to create and remove files
and directories.

(I think wrapping a shell process, robustly, is much more difficult.)

John Clements

Oct 22, 2017, 7:24:39 PM10/22/17
to Neil Van Dyke, Racket Users

> On Oct 22, 2017, at 16:05, Neil Van Dyke <ne...@neilvandyke.org> wrote:
>
> I could be missing something, but I think a filename completion procedure (not the DrRacket integration part) might be a doable exercise for a budding Racket programmer, so long as they already have a basic familiarity with using the filesystem and shell as a normal user.

(forgive me for hijacking this thread.)

I see what you’re saying. I was thinking of all of the fancy features that tcsh has around filename completion, but it’s true that most of those aren’t things I use every day. You definitely would want “~” to work right, though, and I had imagined a stateful notion of “current directory”, but really, that’s probably just gilding the lily.

John Clements

> Point them to the "Paths" and "Filesystem" sections of the Racket Reference, and tell them they just need a few procedures from each (probably including `split-path` and `directory-list`).
>
> They might want to first make a procedure like this:
>
> (path-completions path-or-string?)
> ==> (listof completion-string)
>
> And then make a second procedure, which uses the first procedure, then adds an additional step, to let it return two values instead of one:
>
> (path-completion-prefix-and-suffixes path-or-string?)
> ==> (values prefix-string-shared-by-all-completions
> (listof completion-remainder-after-any-shared-prefix-string))
>
> Then, when a user is interactively doing completion (like when they hit the Tab key in a shell), the first value returned by that second procedure is what would get added automatically to the path. The second value is the list of possible completions following that shared prefix.
>
> There are a few special cases to consider, but most should be easy to recognize and work through, just by thinking methodically about each point in your code. For example, what do you do when the input path is relative, or when when there are no completions, or when the path is invalid or nonexistent or permissions-inaccessible, or when your path is already complete. One case that's not obvious from the code: if the path is already complete and is a directory, a shell usually completes a directory separator, so consider whether you want to do that.
>
> To make unit tests for these, they'll have to also look at more of the "Filesystem" section of the Racket Reference, to create and remove files and directories.
>
> (I think wrapping a shell process, robustly, is much more difficult.)

Guthrie Price

Oct 23, 2017, 7:52:12 PM10/23/17
to Neil Van Dyke, Racket Users
Thank you all so much for your comments (the resulting discussion was also entertaining and unexpected).

If I were to implement path auto-completion, would it be useful if it wasn’t integrated into DrRacket? I am not precisely sure what I would be adding this functionality to if not DrRacket.

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 24, 2017, 4:39:22 PM10/24/17
to Guthrie Price, Neil Van Dyke, Racket Users
I think the ‘doable exercise for a budding Racket programmer‘ was scoped to be an achievable, but important piece that someone else could use to make a DrRacket plugin.(or more likely change DrRacket core)

Kind regards,

Stephen

Kind regards,
Stephen
--
Ealing (London), UK

Guthrie Price

Royall Spence

Oct 29, 2017, 5:42:37 PM10/29/17
to racket...@googlegroups.com
The docs are located in the main repository here: https://github.com/racket/racket/tree/master/pkgs/racket-doc/scribblings
It's not always easy to find the page you're looking for via the source tree, so I recommend using a string search on Github to find the sections of documentation you'd like to improve.

Kind regards,
Stephen
--
Ealing (London), UK

Neil Van Dyke

Oct 29, 2017, 6:42:43 PM10/29/17
to racket...@googlegroups.com
When you're first learning Racket, wanting to contribute to the
community is very admirable, but I think your *first* priority should be
to get experience with Racket.  I think this prioritization will tend to
make you more useful to everyone, sooner.

I suggest getting experience with Racket by making things that you want
to make, and playing with language features that you want to understand.

Maybe you want to make a particular GUI app that you'd use, or a syntax
extension you find yourself wanting, or a neat string manipulation
function that you want for practical use or to see whether it can be
done, or a tiling X window manager, or an IRC bot that `PRIVMSG`s nasty
dotcom/logger bots that they should feel bad, or an IMAP&SMTP email
program (warning: working well with a diversity of servers is much more
work than you'd think), or a Racket implementation of your beloved first
programming language, or see how you might express concepts from any of
your school classes computationally in Racket.  (This is not a list of
things to do, but off-the-cuff examples that might spark a line of
thought that gets you inspired to something you want to do.  You can
understand the problem domain and your requirements, and pursue things
that you're inspired to put work into, and keep it fun and rapid for
now. Eventually, one or more of the things you make for yourself and
learning might turn into something that others also want.)

While you're first learning Racket by using it, it might also be helpful
to others if you kept written notes on things that you found confusing.
Eventually, this list might help improve the documentation for others.

Exception: if you're an experienced programmer in some other languages,
you might be able to recognize some package you'd like to have that
Racket is missing, and to figure out how to get your feet wet with
Racket by building a reusable, idiomatic, good-quality package that
others will find it useful.

Hendrik Boom

Oct 31, 2017, 11:30:02 AM10/31/17
to racket...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 06:42:39PM -0400, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

this above all if you want to contribute::

> While you're first learning Racket by using it, it might also be helpful to
> others if you kept written notes on things that you found confusing.
> Eventually, this list might help improve the documentation for others.

WHile Racket is much better documented than most free software, it
could be improved. Debugging documentation requires a supply of
ignorance, which is repidly used up as documentation testers
learn what the documentation means. So when you find the
documentation obscure, treat it as a documentation bug and report it.
Maybe, when you become an expert and your supply of ignorance has run
out, you can even propose patches to improve that documentation!

-- hendrik

David Storrs

Oct 31, 2017, 11:50:49 AM10/31/17
to Hendrik Boom, Racket Users
One other relatively easy project would be to add sha256 to the
openssl library. https://docs.racket-lang.org/openssl/index.html

There is a version of sha256 implemented in
https://github.com/RayRacine/grommet but it's for Typed Racket only.
I know that it's possible to use TR from untyped code, but it would be
nice to have it all in one place.

David Storrs

Oct 31, 2017, 11:52:18 AM10/31/17
On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:50 AM, David Storrs <david....@gmail.com> wrote:
> One other relatively easy project would be to add sha256 to the
> openssl library. https://docs.racket-lang.org/openssl/index.html
>
> There is a version of sha256 implemented in
> https://github.com/RayRacine/grommet but it's for Typed Racket only.
> I know that it's possible to use TR from untyped code, but it would be
> nice to have it all in one place.

EDIT: For extra bonus points, submit your code to a
crypto-knowledgeable community (finding one is left as an exercise for
the reader) so that they can verify your implementation.

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 31, 2017, 3:19:03 PM10/31/17
to David Storrs, Hendrik Boom, Racket Users

Neil Van Dyke

Oct 31, 2017, 4:18:08 PM10/31/17
to racket...@googlegroups.com
When someone learning Racket is confused by the documentation, or can't
find documentation for something, should the *recommended standard
practice* be to ask on the `racket-users` email list?

That gets the person a prompt informal answer/discussion, the discussion
also informs other people, it captures the valuable "supply of
ignorance" information about something confusing/unaddressed, it might
be less a distraction to the enthusiastic person than making a bug
report is, it might get the person engaged with the community on the
email list, and it might provide more fodder for engaging others in
answering questions on the email list (as already happens).

(Before, I suggested that they should buffer up notes of what they found
confusing, thinking of that as less an interruption than making bug
reports, but I wasn't thinking enough about that problem.  I'm liking a
practice something like "try the documentation and Google, then ask on
the email list", which I think has served everyone well.)

(Tangent: I say only "email list" here.  There's also merit to having a
presence in some of the dotcom proprietary venues, just for promotional
visibility, but that can be costly fragmentation in multiple ways, and
we should retain a canonical venue and keep pushing people to it from
our proprietary venue outposts.)

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 31, 2017, 4:29:52 PM10/31/17
to Hendrik Boom, racket...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hendrix,

I hope you don’t mind, but I was so moved by your eloquent plea  I quoted it (without attribution) on the page https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/Contributing-to-Racket

Kind regards
Stephen

PS the github wiki is really easy to use - anyone could contribute - I did it on my phone while handing out Halloween candy.
PPS I wish it was Scribble...

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 31, 2017, 4:31:42 PM10/31/17
to Hendrik Boom, racket...@googlegroups.com
Double apologies Hendrik - I didn’t notice when my phone incorrectly ‘corrected’ your name.

Kind regards
Stephen

Neil Van Dyke

Oct 31, 2017, 5:00:37 PM10/31/17
to Stephen De Gabrielle, racket...@googlegroups.com
I consider myself pretty community-oriented, but, if I'm trying some new
platform, and the recommended practice when I am confused by the
documentation is to go file documentation bug reports, then I'm unlikely
to follow that advice.

I know that posting a bug report is an interruption to any work, and to
my initial enthusiasm and immersion, and the suggestion sounds
potentially dismissive, and not immediately helpful to me.  Now I don't
have any good-sounding advice for what to do.

However, if the recommended practice is to ask in the active canonical
forum, that sounds like a worthwhile idea, from myuser's perspective.
(In addition to being a good idea from the community perspective, as I
suggested in my previous message.)

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 31, 2017, 5:16:23 PM10/31/17
to Neil Van Dyke, racket...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you. I put that as the first option:

I will move the others to later in the page.

S.

Stephen De Gabrielle

Oct 31, 2017, 9:12:17 PM10/31/17
to David Storrs, Hendrik Boom, Racket Users
I've added the sha256 suggestion to https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/Intro-Projects

s.

David Storrs

Nov 1, 2017, 1:13:47 AM11/1/17
to Stephen De Gabrielle, Hendrik Boom, Racket Users
Cool. Thanks, Stephen.