Deely

FD 'Bud' Boley

Mar 10, 2018, 3:45:37 PM3/10/18
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum
I am trying to understand John Deely's semiotics.  He says two things in Introducing Semiotic which seem wrong to me:
1. 'Aristotle divides being into substance and accidents.'   Surely Dr. Deely means matter and form, here.  Whether someone is more or less tanned (accident) is not as interesting or basic as what a person is (form) and what a person is composed of (material cause).
2. 'John of St Thomas's ontological and transcendental relations are exhaustive and exclusive, but are experienced directly unlike Aristotle's 2 categories' (v. questione primo, above).  Relation is never experienced directly but via common sense, surely.

But I probably am not understanding something in each case.  I am not a philosopher, but a counselor, trying to educate myself.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Dr B

Gere Mia

Mar 16, 2018, 8:20:45 PM3/16/18
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum
Have you read Deely's Four Ages of Understanding? It's excellent.

Fred Boley

Mar 19, 2018, 9:36:08 PM3/19/18
to quaestione...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this.  No I haven't--I heard it was really good, but held off from buying it  because no-one was flogging a used paperback for 3.99.  OK, that will be my splurge  in Easter week.

Any other recommendations for understanding semiotics and how they fit into Thomism?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 7:20 PM, Gere Mia <alan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Have you read Deely's Four Ages of Understanding? It's excellent.

Fred Boley

Mar 19, 2018, 9:43:18 PM3/19/18
to quaestione...@googlegroups.com
....and now I've clicked on the link and it seems to be doing something promising and PDF-related (no German).

Gere Mia

Apr 6, 2018, 5:29:46 PM4/6/18
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum
Any other recommendations for understanding semiotics and how they fit into Thomism?

Fred Boley

Apr 7, 2018, 11:39:47 AM4/7/18
to quaestione...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks!  I have begun Four Ages, for which thanks again.

Happy Easter!  Resurrexit sicut dixit, alleluia!

Any other recommendations for understanding semiotics and how they fit into Thomism?