Looking ahead to a September OpenHour presentation on GSOC?

Liz Barry

Jun 28, 2016, 10:52:19 AM6/28/16
to plots...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
I'd like to put out the idea that the set of GSOC projects can be presented publicly over Google Hangout during the September OpenHour. That would be the first Monday of the month, September 5. Just checking -- will you all be done by then?

Would all students and most mentors be available on that day?

We'll have to figure out an appropriate time :) amazing timezone representation on this team!

Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Ananyo Maiti

Jun 28, 2016, 10:01:32 PM6/28/16
to plots-gsoc, l...@publiclab.org
Hi Liz,
That's a really amazing idea. Great form of interaction with the community. I was just thinking of having a online conversation with all our mentors and fellow students of GSoC. I am really excited for it. I am quite ready to attend it and will keep that day reserved for the meet.

Thanks and Regards,
Ananyo

Jitesh Jha

Jun 29, 2016, 11:14:45 AM6/29/16
to plots-gsoc, l...@publiclab.org
Hello!

I'll make sure to be free on September 5, and that sounds like a good idea! I'd be elated to showcase my entire GSoC work on internationalization.

-- Jitesh

Liz Barry

Ujitha Perera

Jul 4, 2016, 12:42:26 AM7/4/16
to plots-gsoc, l...@publiclab.org
Hi Liz,

Actually this kind of discussion should be happened, otherwise we won't be able to explain our projects details and 'how to' information to the community and basically for the mentor panel. I would like to thank Liz for proposing this kind of great idea. I'm looking forward to express my contribution through this summer and answer any question regarding my search tool.

My city(Colombo) is located in +5.30 GMT. I think this information may be helpful when you are choosing comfortable time. :)

cheers,
Ujitha.

Richard Meister

Jul 4, 2016, 5:34:46 AM7/4/16
to plots-gsoc, jites...@gmail.com, l...@publiclab.org
Hi Liz,

great idea, I'll be available!

Stevie Lewis

Aug 2, 2016, 12:17:33 PM8/2/16
to plots-gsoc, jites...@gmail.com, l...@publiclab.org
Hi there!
Wanted to ping back in on this thread. Looks like we might have some scheduling trouble for the 5th of September, it's a holiday in the US. I was wondering if people would be available for Tuesday the 6th instead?

In terms of time, normally the OpenHours for the odd months is 12am GMT, but we could switch this if we need. Alternatively, OpenHours on the even months is 5pm GMT. Perhaps that would work?

-Stevie

Stevie Lewis

Aug 4, 2016, 10:28:05 AM8/4/16
to plots-gsoc, Jitesh Jha, Liz Barry
Checking back in, does this work for everyone?
-Stevie

Jeffrey Warren

Aug 4, 2016, 10:30:41 AM8/4/16
to Stevie Lewis, plots-gsoc, Jitesh Jha, Liz Barry
I works for me!

Liz Barry

Aug 4, 2016, 11:38:51 AM8/4/16
to Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis, plots-gsoc, Jitesh Jha, Liz Barry
Works for me! Sorry I didnt' notice the US holiday when i first sent this invite out.
Stevie can you create a calendar invite? that seemed to be the magic sauce for our multitimezone hangout last week.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

I works for me!

Stevie Lewis

Sep 2, 2016, 5:00:47 PM9/2/16
to Jeffrey Warren, Ujitha Perera, Ananyo Maiti, Lalith Rallabhandi, Jitesh Jha, Richard Meister, plots-gsoc, Liz Barry, David Days
Hi there!
Looking forward to OpenHour on Tuesday!! I'll send the link out to the event about 30 minutes before we start, please try to be on 15 minutes early, just to make sure we're all on so I can post the link for others to join the live call (it will limit at 10, but others will watch from the www.publiclab.org/openhour page).

Just to catch up a bit, and set a loose structure, lets plan on this for the hour:

Introduction: (10 minutes)
Welcome to the OpenHour (Stevie)
We'll all introduce ourselves, our names and where we're calling in from
Introduction to GSoC (Jeff)

About the Projects: (30 minutes)
GSoC Students
 - Plan to talk about your project for 5-7 minutes
 - We can screen-share if you want to show anything
 - The material from your final post should be good for this.

Open Discussion: (20 minutes)
Question/Answers, next steps, ideas

Things to keep in mind:
- Some people could be hearing from you and about your project for the first time, so be sure to give a little background. Things like what got you excited in this particular project, what the project entails will be really helpful for providing some context. You know these projects best!
- While some people joining us will know a thing or two about coding, we will probably have some listeners who don't know much about it, but are really excited to hear about new features. If you spend time talking about the technical side of the project, be sure to also talk about how users can expect to interact with the features.

Really excited for OpenHour!

-Stevie

Ananyo Maiti

Sep 2, 2016, 5:11:44 PM9/2/16
to Stevie Lewis, Jeffrey Warren, Ujitha Perera, Lalith Rallabhandi, Jitesh Jha, Richard Meister, plots-gsoc, Liz Barry, David Days
Thanks Stevie for the update! Excited for it too!

David Days

Sep 3, 2016, 2:15:59 PM9/3/16
to plots-gsoc, ste...@publiclab.org, je...@publiclab.org, ujitha...@gmail.com, lali...@gmail.com, jites...@gmail.com, richard.m...@googlemail.com, l...@publiclab.org, david....@gmail.com
All,

I won't be able to attend--or I will be very late.  I had a last-minute business meeting come up, and the meeting is about an hour away from my home office.

I'll try to type up the research-note on the RESTful services (code, demos, functionality), but I'm sure that Ujitha will do a fantastic job of handling the Advanced Search presentation--he's done a fantastic job.

If anyone needs any material from me, just let me know.

David

I works for me!

Stevie Lewis

Sep 6, 2016, 12:42:57 PM9/6/16
to David Days, plots-gsoc, Jeffrey Warren, Ujitha Perera, Lalith Rallabhandi, Jitesh Jha, Richard Meister, Liz Barry
Hi everyone! Here is the link to join OpenHour:: https://hangouts.google.com/call/ld6sonlk55gtzexnzqsogqf5lee

please try to join in the next 15 min.
-Stevie

Jeffrey Warren

Sep 6, 2016, 2:02:55 PM9/6/16
to Stevie Lewis, David Days, plots-gsoc, Ujitha Perera, Lalith Rallabhandi, Jitesh Jha, Richard Meister, Liz Barry
Ack, my phone just died in the last minute of the call! I just wanted to say thank you to everyone. It was great seeing and hearing you again.

Bryan

Sep 6, 2016, 2:14:28 PM9/6/16
to Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis, David Days, plots-gsoc, Ujitha Perera, Lalith Rallabhandi, Jitesh Jha, Richard Meister, Liz Barry
My apologies to all for being late. It was a three day weekend and I mixed up my days: I thought the call was tomorrow. My phone sounded an event reminder but it was in a different room charging. I'm lucky I checked my phone at all before the OpenHour ended!
-Bryan

Bryan

Sep 6, 2016, 2:16:35 PM9/6/16
to Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis, David Days, plots-gsoc, Ujitha Perera, Lalith Rallabhandi, Jitesh Jha, Richard Meister, Liz Barry
Also great job everyone. I just wanted to reiterate Jeff's comment: I think it is incredible that we were able to keep a regular merge schedule and that you all worked so hard to keep your code working with everyone else's code! I am pleasantly surprised it worked out as well as it did, but I have no doubt it was from everyone putting a lot of extra effort in. I appreciate that effort.
-Bryan

Ananyo Maiti

Sep 6, 2016, 2:17:03 PM9/6/16
to Jeffrey Warren, Stevie Lewis, David Days, plots-gsoc, Ujitha Perera, Lalith Rallabhandi, Jitesh Jha, Richard Meister, Liz Barry
Loved the Openhour! It was really great talking with you all! Hope to join in an Openhour again someday! :) It was great working with everyone this summer! A lifetime experience! :) Thanks Public Lab!