kernel 3.4.76 port

giorgio franchini

Jan 12, 2014, 7:01:10 AM1/12/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com

hi,
i'm trying to port kernel 3.4.76 to picosam9g45 for generic better driver support.
i started from 3.1 (nicu) and 3.4.0 (daniel) work, but the kernel won't boot.
i'm missing something...
attached is the patch against standard 3.4.76. (missing nand support and capacitive touch)

could anyone give me some suggestions?

thanks
giorgio

ps i'm using buildroot to generate kernel and root fs

picosam9g45-3.4.76.patch.gz

Daniel Palmer

Jan 12, 2014, 7:55:50 AM1/12/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
To get 3.4.? running you shouldn't have many problems.. but I don't know about the NAND (did you solder one on?) or capacitive touch as I don't have those.
I have 3.4.56 running on mine at the moment. If you want better driver support I would maybe consider trying to get something more recent running. I have a recent uboot running on mine so devicetree isn't a problem..

giorgio franchini

Jan 12, 2014, 11:29:34 AM1/12/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
hi daniel,
thanks for your answer;
i don't have nand nor capacitive touch; i removed them also from 3.1 and still works.
i choose 3.4.76 because too many changes in board definition structs inside 3.10.x.
(i'm quite a newbie...)
i suspect a problem with sparse_mem;
the patch for this is only of the file arch/.../memory.h? or i need something else?

best regards
giorgio

giorgio franchini

Jan 13, 2014, 9:15:43 AM1/13/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
ok i missed Makefile.boot mod.
now i have this problem:

after 1.7 seconds the board reboots:
[    1.641000] lib80211: common routines for IEEE802.11 drivers
[    1.647000] Registering the dns_resolver key type
[    1.653000] VFP support v0.3: not present
[    1.668000] input: gpio-keys as /devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input1
[    1.681000] rtc-at91sam9 rtc-at91sam9.0: hctosys: unable to read the hardware clock
[    1.689000] atmel_mci atmel_mci.0: version: 0x410
[    1.694000] atmel_mci atmel_mci.0: using dma0chan0 for DMA transfers
[    1.705000] atmel_mci atmel_mci.0: Atmel MCI controller at 0xfff80000 irq 11, 1 slots

any suggestions?
best regards

Florin Tanasa

Jan 13, 2014, 9:33:11 AM1/13/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com

I have this problem with bootrap (BOOT.BIN) when I use a wrong version.

Try to use this

http://arm.mini-box.com/index.php?title=Bootstrap

73, YO8TFF - Florin Tanasa

https://sites.google.com/site/florintanasa/

Daniel Palmer

Jan 13, 2014, 11:04:55 AM1/13/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
If you are using my method to enable all of the memory you also need to mod the bootloader to load the kernel into the lower section of memory..
The way its done in the original Pico kernel is that it maps the physical lower section (the extra 128MB that the Pico has but Atmel eval kit doesn't) above the physical higher section.. the bootloader IIRC only knows about the higher 128MB and loads it there. I think my at91boot and uboot on google code are working and put things the right way around.
I haven't touched this stuff for so long that I don't know where the code is but I can dig it up if it's not there.

giorgio franchini

Jan 14, 2014, 9:29:10 AM1/14/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
thanks daniel,
i downloaded your code, but which config should i use?
do you mean for at91boot:

1 change mapping of chip selects 0 to 0x20000000 and 1 to 0x70000000
2 change load address to 0x20000000

but how to do this? do i need to modify linker file?
best regards

giorgio franchini

Jan 14, 2014, 9:53:25 AM1/14/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
thanks florin,
i tried but the same problem...

Daniel Palmer

Jan 14, 2014, 8:03:13 PM1/14/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can't actually remember 100% what changes I made (It's been a long time).. uboot uses the load address thats built into the uImage so I think there all I did was to enable the lower bank of memory. For at91bootstrap I think I made it enable the lower bank and load uboot there instead.
The load address for the uImage is in the the makefile I changed in arch/arm somewhere. I'm pretty busy right now but I will take a look at this at the weekend and refresh myself... do you want my source for 3.4.54 in the meantime?

giorgio franchini

Jan 15, 2014, 4:00:39 AM1/15/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
thanks daniel,
it would be greatly appreciated.
so i can verify if i missing something.
i'll try to to modify at91bootstrap...
best regards
giorgio

giorgio franchini

Jan 19, 2014, 2:06:43 AM1/19/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
hi daniel,
could you provide your 3.4.54 kernel sources?
i enabled second bank in bootstrap but nothing; i suppose i have a kernel issue...
i'm really blocked...

best regards
giorgio

Daniel Palmer

Jan 19, 2014, 5:52:16 AM1/19/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Got sick.

giorgio franchini

Jan 19, 2014, 2:33:14 PM1/19/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
thank you very much daniel,
i'll try asap
best regards
giorgio

Leonid Titov

Oct 29, 2014, 11:04:26 AM10/29/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giorgio,

Have you got any progress with building modern kernel for picosam9?
I am now trying to launch debian on it, and am also fighting with kernel compilation :)

giorgio franchini

Oct 31, 2014, 5:38:47 AM10/31/14
to pico-S...@googlegroups.com

Dear leonid,
We have discarded this board and changed to a better hardware.
So I do not have no suggestions..
Sorry

Giorgio

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "pico-SAM9G45 Mini-Box.com ARM embedded system board" group.