how long does approval for top level domain take

Monica Omodei

Apr 14, 2011, 5:09:50 AM4/14/11
to persistenturls
I requested a new top level domain a couple of days ago and was
wondering how the approval process usually proceeded.

Also I made the mistake of checking the public box for it when I
shouldn't have and I want to change that in my request but I can't
find an email address to send my change to,

thanks
Monica

------
Australian National Data Service

James Leigh

Apr 15, 2011, 9:37:17 AM4/15/11
to persist...@googlegroups.com

This mailing list is to discuss the PURL server software and not any
particular service or support offering. Please send your request to the
service provider.

The purl.org service is administrated by OCLC.
http://www.oclc.org/research/activities/purl/default.htm

James

realwor...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2011, 9:41:04 AM4/15/11
to persist...@googlegroups.com
Monica,

I try to review the pending purl.org domain requests every couple of days. I did a search on your user ID and came up with /au-research, and it looks like it's been approved. It didn't catch my eye at the time, though, so I can't say when I did it.

I kept this on the persistenturls list because as far as I can tell the PURLZ software doesn't notify the requester when these things are approved. Neither does it give me a chance to explain why I reject certain requests. I have no desire to handle these notifications manually.

Jeff

Monica Omodei

Apr 16, 2011, 1:01:21 AM4/16/11
to persist...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Jeff.

I just couldn't find out from the Help what the process was in terms of whether I received notification when it had been approved or whether I should keep checking periodically. I thought I would have permission to create sub-domains and so I created one, and also two within that one, but each responded with an 'approval pending' response. I had hoped this wouldn't bother you again as they weren't top-level domains. These are all the domains I need for the meantime,

Monica

Young,Jeff (OR)

Apr 18, 2011, 12:50:23 PM4/18/11
to persist...@googlegroups.com

Monica,

The PURL FAQ isn’t clear on whether domain owners can approve their own subdomains or whether the system administrator must do it. Next time you create a subdomain and get the “approval pending” notice, try switching to the “Admin” tab to see if you can approve it yourself. For your convenience, I went ahead and approved the ones currently outstanding on the purl.org server, but it would best and safest if domain owners could do this themselves.

Jeff

Simon Cox

Apr 19, 2011, 4:05:16 AM4/19/11
to persist...@googlegroups.com

That's interesting.

So the policy for purl.org is that any client can created and approve the creation of domains.

That looks like a bit of a security risk to me.

Simon Cox

Young,Jeff (OR)

Apr 19, 2011, 10:08:02 AM4/19/11
to persist...@googlegroups.com

Simon,

For purl.org, the system administrator has to approve all top-level domain requests. I would hope that the owner could then manage their own subdomains, but Monica reported that she tried and wasn’t able to. I can do it, but it means I have to be a little more careful about whether the subdomain request is suitable. For example, someone recently requested /uk/parliament, but /uk is assigned to University of Kentucky.

Jeff

Simon Cox

Apr 19, 2011, 10:12:39 AM4/19/11
to persist...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense. Should have read the thread more carefully. Simon

KAD

Aug 21, 2014, 6:50:27 AM8/21/14
to persist...@googlegroups.com
I also requested a new top level domain a couple of days ago on purl.org and I am wondering how long does it take to approve it?

Goksel Misirli

Feb 5, 2015, 5:19:22 AM2/5/15
to persist...@googlegroups.com
Same for me! I would appreciate if you could let me know when the redirections would be approved.

Many thanks

Goksel

KAD

Feb 5, 2015, 8:12:24 AM2/5/15