End of Silverlight Support

James

Sep 25, 2014, 12:22:30 PM9/25/14
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
We have made the difficult to decision to discontinue support for the Silverlight version of WebViewer. In recent years, plugin-based web development has been largely overtaken by HTML5. The plugin developers themselves have essentially ceased to develop or support the plugins. Bugs in the Silverlight version of Webviewer can usually be traced back to a bug in Silverlight itself, and our efforts to have these fixed by Microsoft have been met with silence or an explicit "will not fix". For this reason, we have decided that it has come time to retire the Silverlight version of WebViewer (formerly known as SilverDox).

The good news is that we offer a near-seamless update path to HTML5 with the HTML5 version of Webviewer. The HTML5 version offers the same features as the Silverlight version, renders .xod documents, and has many additional features such as easier customization, support for encrypted documents, more annotation types, mobile device compatibility with a mobile-specific UI, and support for forms.

Please let us know if you have any thoughts on this announcement, or need any help in getting started with the HTML5 version.

Skip Gaede

Jan 26, 2015, 5:06:33 PM1/26/15
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
James,

Up until today I have used the HTML5 version of the WebViewer exclusively. I now need to take a working HTML5 implementation and incorporate it into a Sharepoint environment. Assuming I have a collection of xod documents (both forms and documents to be annotated) can you suggest a the best way to migrate this to a sharepoint environment?

I saw a thread about two years ago where support had a working SilverDox example, and the statement that converting it to HTML5 was a trivial exercise. With the demise of Silverlight, is there any chance this example could be reworked to make it compatible with HTML5?

Thank you,
Skip

Richard Dupont

Jan 28, 2015, 10:17:33 AM1/28/15
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Hello Skip,

I've been working with the Webviewer 1.8 and SharePoint for a while and the html5 viewer works great.

You only have to put the "lib" directory somewhere on your server (like in _layouts) and the pages used for the annotation unless you want to use the php one included in the code.

For me I had to add the .XOD file extension into the BlobCache in the web.config of my Sharepoint web application.

I also use the SilverLight for the support of IE 8, that's more a headache ;)

Hope this can help.
Richard.

Skip Gaede

Jan 28, 2015, 4:09:18 PM1/28/15
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Richard Dupont
Hi Richard,

Have done some research on my own I’m now debating the relative merits of replacing the PHP code with either classic asp (VBS) or with asp  dot net. What have you been using?

Thanks,
Skip

Richard Dupont

Jan 29, 2015, 1:21:14 PM1/29/15
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Skip,

I'm using and asp.net page to manage the annotation and keep them in a SharePoint library. For me it was the only choice the server currently don't support php and everything is packaged in a WSP file build with Visual Studio.

And after each save of the annotation my users wanted to have a PDF with the annotation generated. Another point for the asp.net solution.

Richard.

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 4:09:18 PM UTC-5, Skip Gaede wrote:
Hi Richard,

Have done some research on my own I’m now debating the relative merits of replacing the PHP code with either classic asp (VBS) or with asp  dot net. What have you been using?

Thanks,
Skip

Skip Gaede

Jan 30, 2015, 1:39:43 PM1/30/15
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Richard Dupont
Thanks. Am currently reading a book on asp.net with C#. It's always a challenge to master a new technology. Appreciate your input.

--Skip

Sent from my iPhone