What is the smallest size ROM you can run PAWN on?

Dennis Muhlestein

Aug 25, 2014, 4:19:29 PM8/25/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have 32k of ROM to work with.  I could perhaps have 64k if I decide Pawn is really worth it.  I'd love a simple scripting interface for our hardware to provide user customizable runtime behavior.

Anyway, I compiled just the Pawn amx.c with only amx_Init and amx_Exec support into a firmware I've been testing.  The result looks like approximately 60k worth of additional size (but I haven't yet added any support for my hardware or any additional support for running the scripts.

Question is, am I on the right track with the target size?  If so it seems like Pawn is slightly too big for my needs.  Perhaps I missed something during configuration that would make things smaller.  Here are the defines I used:

-DAMX_ANSIONLY -DAMX_EXEC -DAMX_NO_OVERLAY -DAMX_NO_MACRO_INSTR -DAMX_NO_PACKED_OPC
And also -Os (for size)

Thanks for any input
-Dennis

Dan Christian

Aug 25, 2014, 6:41:49 PM8/25/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
What processor are you using?
-Dan

Dennis Muhlestein

Aug 25, 2014, 6:42:31 PM8/25/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Microblaze softcore for a Spartan 6 FPGA.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Pawn Scripting Language" group.

Petteri Aimonen

Aug 26, 2014, 1:21:12 AM8/26/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I have 32k of ROM to work with. I could perhaps have 64k if I decide Pawn
> is really worth it. I'd love a simple scripting interface for our hardware
> to provide user customizable runtime behavior.
>
> Anyway, I compiled just the Pawn amx.c with only amx_Init and amx_Exec
> support into a firmware I've been testing. The result looks like
> approximately 60k worth of additional size (but I haven't yet added any
> support for my hardware or any additional support for running the scripts.

The size depends heavily on CPU. On Cortex-M3 with the assembler version
of amxexec, I have the Pawn core in about 15 kB and a complete system
with platform libraries in 32 kB.

Here are my compilation flags, in case it helps:
-DAMX_ASM=1 -DAMX_ANSIONLY -DAMX_NO_PACKED_OPC=1 -DAMX_NO_DYNALOAD=1

Perhaps you could try to check each .o size (using the 'size' tool or
similar, not file size) to see what is taking up the space.

--
Petteri

Dennis Muhlestein

Aug 26, 2014, 12:51:42 PM8/26/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info, so if I use your flags I get amx.o=54K
If I use my flags to start amx.o=23K,
So if I remove Amx_init and add amx_asm so I have this:

-DAMX_ASM=1 -DAMX_ANSIONLY -DAMX_EXEC -DAMX_NO_OVERLAY -DAMX_NO_MACRO_INSTR -DAMX_NO_PACKED_OPC
amx.o goes down to under 9K.  That seems like the range I could start being able to use it.

I'm not familiar with Pawn enough to know if that's a good combination though.  I thought you needed amx_init and exec both to start up a script.  Perhaps I'm missing something there.  Not sure if any other libraries are required (like amxcore for instance for what I need.  Also I'm not sure what the ASM flag does yet but it does cut down a lot on the size.

Petteri Aimonen

Aug 26, 2014, 1:17:47 PM8/26/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> Also I'm not sure what the ASM flag does yet but it does cut down a
> lot on the size.

It assumes that you provide a separate assembler implementation of the
main Pawn virtual machine. If you don't have one, it will reduce the
size but result in a linker error eventually :)

--
Petteri