Not all alerts included in email

Ed Killian

Sep 28, 2017, 11:45:48 AM9/28/17
to ossec-list
I'm running on CentOS 7.3.1611 and using the atomic repo which has ossec-hids-2.9.2-2082 and ossec-hids-server-2.9.2-2082.
I have done debugging and I'm seeing some things I think are strange.
If the condition I'm testing for has happened in the last 15 to 20 minutes before the
email is sent, the subject contains the alert message and the body contains the
alert message along with other alerts. If the condition is more than 25 to 30 minutes
before the email is sent, the subject will still show the alert, but the alert message will
not be in the body of the email. Here are some stats from the emails today:

Email            Number         Earliest reported
Arrived          of alerts         alert
01:00             109               00:36
02:00             110                01:37
03:00             111                02:34
04:00             112                03:39
05:00             113                04:34
06:00             114                05:39
07:00             115                06:36
08:00             116                07:51
09:00             117                08:55
10:00             118                09:56

It seems strange that the number of alerts is incrementing by one each hour.
I went back further in the emails and it seems to increment to 186 and then
start over at 97.

dan (ddp)

Sep 29, 2017, 9:42:18 AM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Ed Killian <edtech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running on CentOS 7.3.1611 and using the atomic repo which has
> ossec-hids-2.9.2-2082 and ossec-hids-server-2.9.2-2082.
> I have done debugging and I'm seeing some things I think are strange.
> If the condition I'm testing for has happened in the last 15 to 20 minutes
> before the
> email is sent, the subject contains the alert message and the body contains
> the
> alert message along with other alerts. If the condition is more than 25 to
> 30 minutes
> before the email is sent, the subject will still show the alert, but the
> alert message will
> not be in the body of the email. Here are some stats from the emails today:

Basically, the subject and body don't match?

> Email Number Earliest reported
> Arrived of alerts alert
> 01:00 109 00:36
> 02:00 110 01:37
> 03:00 111 02:34
> 04:00 112 03:39
> 05:00 113 04:34
> 06:00 114 05:39
> 07:00 115 06:36
> 08:00 116 07:51
> 09:00 117 08:55
> 10:00 118 09:56
>
> It seems strange that the number of alerts is incrementing by one each hour.
> I went back further in the emails and it seems to increment to 186 and then
> start over at 97.
>
> --
>
> ---

Ed Killian

Sep 29, 2017, 11:12:42 AM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Yes, and no. Let's say there is one level 10 alert. The subject will have this in the text. And the email will have it in the body, but only if it has happened so many minutes before the email was sent. If the event happened at 10:58 AM and the email was sent on the hour at 11:00 AM, it will more than likely be included. But if the event happened at 10:05AM and the email was sent at 11:00AM then it won't be included. And even if there are lots of any level alerts being sensed, only a certain number in the last so many minutes are in the email. Let me give an example. Now maybe I'm looking at this wrong so please enlighten me. If I look at the email sent last night at 06:00 PM, or 18:00, in the subject of the email is "Alert level 10", but that alert is no where in the body of the email. There are 321 notifications with the earliest being at 17:55:42. There is nothing dated before that. If I go look at the alerts.log file from yesterday, there is an entry in there for a level 10 alert on a host at 17:17:28. In total there are 4634 alerts in the file, mostly level 2, but only 321 in the email. The earliest one is at 17:00:05.

---

dan (ddp)

Sep 29, 2017, 12:46:16 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Ed Killian <edtech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, and no. Let's say there is one level 10 alert. The subject will have
> this in the text. And the email will have it in the body, but only if it has
> happened so many minutes before the email was sent. If the event happened at
> 10:58 AM and the email was sent on the hour at 11:00 AM, it will more than
> likely be included. But if the event happened at 10:05AM and the email was
> sent at 11:00AM then it won't be included. And even if there are lots of any
> level alerts being sensed, only a certain number in the last so many minutes
> are in the email. Let me give an example. Now maybe I'm looking at this
> wrong so please enlighten me. If I look at the email sent last night at
> 06:00 PM, or 18:00, in the subject of the email is "Alert level 10", but
> that alert is no where in the body of the email. There are 321 notifications
> with the earliest being at 17:55:42. There is nothing dated before that. If
> I go look at the alerts.log file from yesterday, there is an entry in there
> for a level 10 alert on a host at 17:17:28. In total there are 4634 alerts
> in the file, mostly level 2, but only 321 in the email. The earliest one is
> at 17:00:05.

Are you hitting the hourly email limits?
>> > email to ossec-list+...@googlegroups.com.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---
>

> --
>
> ---

Ed Killian

Sep 29, 2017, 12:49:43 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what you mean. I am getting an email every hour.

>> --
>>
>> ---

> --
>
> ---

---

dan (ddp)

Sep 29, 2017, 12:52:36 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Ed Killian <edtech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean. I am getting an email every hour.

Generally there are emails sent when alerts happen, not just hourly.
There is a limit to how many of these emails can be sent per hour (99 maybe?).
If you reach that limit, I think an email is sent at the top of the
next hour collecting some/most/all of the previous hour's overage.

>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > an
>> > email to ossec-list+...@googlegroups.com.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---
>

> --
>
> ---

Ed Killian

Sep 29, 2017, 1:03:17 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
I think we have the settings so we only get one email per hour.
From /var/ossec/etc/ossec.conf:

<email_maxperhour>1</email_maxperhour>

>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > an

>> --
>>
>> ---

> --
>
> ---

---

dan (ddp)

Sep 29, 2017, 1:11:35 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Ed Killian <edtech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we have the settings so we only get one email per hour.
> From /var/ossec/etc/ossec.conf:
>
> <email_maxperhour>1</email_maxperhour>

I think expecting maild to handle 4k+ alerts is overestimating its capabilities.

>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > an
>> > email to ossec-list+...@googlegroups.com.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---
>

> --
>
> ---

Ed Killian

Sep 29, 2017, 1:17:21 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
So what is your suggestion? Increase the number of emails per hour?

>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > an

>> --
>>
>> ---

> --
>
> ---

---

dan (ddp)

Sep 29, 2017, 1:41:17 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Ed Killian <edtech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what is your suggestion? Increase the number of emails per hour?

That's a start. maild isn't really setup to be an "on the hour"
summary device. You can script that type of thing up easily, or use
something like elastic to make it pretty.

>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > an
>> > email to ossec-list+...@googlegroups.com.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ---
>

> --
>
> ---

Ed Killian

Sep 29, 2017, 2:05:20 PM9/29/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Can you provide a link to how to set it up with elastic?

>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > an

>> --