Meandering tracks

Peter Boer

Sep 20, 2021, 12:35:20 PM9/20/21
to OsmAnd
I record my walks on my Samsung smartphone with OsmAnd~ v. 3.3.0 and I edit them on my desktop PC with GPS Track Editor v.1.15 beta. Zooming in, I notice that the tracks are not recorded very accurately, they meander around the paths and roads on the map. This will result in an overestimation of the recorded distance. With GPS Track Editor it is not possible to force the tracks to follow exactly the paths and roads. Does anyone know a freeware program which can do that?

lodrog...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2021, 3:52:54 AM9/21/21
to OsmAnd
track recording into amateur devices is very well know issue over 20 years now. Only military equipment or professional devices has sub meter or cm accuracy into static or moving measurement, for PPP or RTK signal reception.

1.
If someone need to improve the problematic recording track it has, i suggest to look for "GNSS post processing" software. I have not made any test, this is something i read. I hope it works.

2.
what i do for my tracks ? I use this link
https://brouter.de/brouter-web
to "load track as route" and with some manual help, i manage to solve the track issues

thanks

Peter Boer

Oct 4, 2021, 6:19:06 PM10/4/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your message, BRouter is the tool that I was looking for. Although it is designed for cyclists, it can be used by pedestrians as well by choosing the profile Walking (beta). If the adjustment slider is set to a higher sensitivity, after the conversion only a few manual corrections are needed. The resulting gpx file can be imported in GPS Track Editor for additional small corrections.