Online google maps in osmand. Pls Help to enable

Sergei

Oct 11, 2018, 7:23:48 AM10/11/18
to Osmand
I'm trying add online google maps to Osmand by instructions on this link http://dailyway.ru/zagruzka-rastrovyx-kart-v-osmand/
But it did not work
Pls help me!

Max1234Ita

Oct 11, 2018, 10:56:27 AM10/11/18
to Osmand
You can't.
Or, more precisely, you can't anymore, since some years ago there was a complaint from Google who retired their permission to use GMaps in OsmAnd. If you look more closely at that page, you'll see that the used Osmand is version 1.6.5! ;)

Anyway, if you know the link of another WMF tile service provider, you can set it up for display in the Online Maps section.

Just enable Online maps then go to Configure map -> Map Source...  and select the service provider you want from the list.
You can also:
  • tap Install more... option and select additional maps from the (long) list. For instance, if you install "Microsoft Earth" you will show the aerial imagery from Bing (if you set it as "underlay map" and use Offline vectors as map source, you'll get a nice "hybrid" view, GMaps-style :)
  • Alternatively, you can tap Define / Edit option and enter your custom URL.
    Unfortunately, finding correct URLs for custom WMS services is not so user-friendly, and most probably you will need to tweak the provided addresses in order to put all the correct options in OsmAnd.
    Years ago, I managed to display WMF tiles from the Italian Geographic Portal (http://www.pcn.minambiente.it/mattm/servizio-wms/): I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I think I was helped in that by the Imagery options of the JOSM editor (https://josm.openstreetmap.de).

Best Regards,
Max - Italy

Stefan Monnier

Oct 11, 2018, 11:59:55 AM10/11/18
to Sergei, Osmand
> I'm trying add online google maps to Osmand by instructions on this
> link http://dailyway.ru/zagruzka-rastrovyx-kart-v-osmand/

Makes me wonder: why would someone make extra efforts to tell Google
even more about their whereabouts and (geographical) interests?

Stefan

Massimo Mula

Oct 11, 2018, 12:24:20 PM10/11/18
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Because this is OpenStreetMap, Not Google Map.

OSM is an Open foundation: data produced by OSM mappers are released under Open license and available to *anyone* who requires them... Google included (even though I'm not sure they use them).

Google data are released under commercial license, so if you map for GMaps you are working for Google, if you map for OSM you are working for everyone i the world (just guess to whom I am a mapper).

Cheers,
Max

<>========== :-)
I Piccoli Pirati dell'Aria

Sergei

Oct 12, 2018, 1:43:50 AM10/12/18
to Osmand
 Max1234lta,
I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. It has really helped me

 Best Regards,
Sergei

Max1234Ita

Oct 12, 2018, 3:41:36 AM10/12/18
to Osmand
Glad it helped ^^
Max

James Jam

Aug 1, 2020, 10:27:14 AM8/1/20
to OsmAnd
Hi Max1234lta,
the post is a bit old but I would like to do the same thing you did in OSMAND with a wms level of http://www.pcn.minambiente.it/mattm/servizio-wms/

I can't create the correct url to see the level I'm interested in (IGM 1: 25000) on OsmAnd.
On JOSM I can see this level correctly.

Could you please tell me how did you do it?

Thanks so much

Massimo Mula

Aug 2, 2020, 3:49:09 AM8/2/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi james,
basically, the idea was:
1 - get a working http link inJOSM. After trying around a bit, I managed to find a way to display the " Cartografia di base - IGM 25.000" layer.
I tried it again, and found that a good one is:

(BTW, this will only display half of the Italian peninsula, to show the other half you need to request layer "CB.IGM25000.33"

2 - Carefully copy the link into OsmAnd "Map Source" and set the online map source as a layer (underlay map, overlay map, etc.)

I tried it again, today, but it doesn't seem to work.
Unfortunately, it was a long time ago when I managed to display that layer: It could have been OsmAnd v. 1.something.
Since then, the app has changed a lot and I'm not sure this is possible anymore.

Looking for a possible hint, I've found this post on GitHub:

Looks like a possible workaround is to run a custom server that forwards the requests from OsmAnd to the proper WMS server. Nothing officially supported, however.

Maybe, in the future, this feature will be (re-)implemented? After all, there's a lot of WMS services around and it could be very useful to have them at hand! :)

Kind regards,
Max

James Jam

Aug 3, 2020, 6:48:37 AM8/3/20
to OsmAnd
Hi Max,
thanks for the quick response!
I tried to take the steps you described but it didn't work for me either...
I really hope that in the future this feautere will be reimplemented.

Looking a bit I found some information on mapproxy (https://mapproxy.org/), I don't know if it could be a solution.
It should be able to make a translation from Wms to Tms, compatible with Osmand.
To work, however, I believe it requires a server to install mapproxy.

anyway thanks for sharing your experience!

James
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to osm...@googlegroups.com.

Knut X

Oct 6, 2021, 4:48:54 PM10/6/21
to OsmAnd
I know this thread is really old, but it's high in google search.
See https://groups.google.com/g/osmand/c/TqXF3GZxU8o/m/I7I6_Fb0BAAJ for solution.