Position of an ad in a scroll view ?

Kevin

Aug 27, 2013, 11:23:45 AM8/27/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I have some doubt on what should mraid.getDefaultPosition or mraid.getCurrentPosition should return in a scroll view.
Does the scroll view affect this position in any way and how ? If the ad view above the fold but in a scroll view and this scroll view is scrolled, does it affect the returned position by maid.getDefaultPosition ?

What if the ad view is below the fold ? What should be its position ?

regards,

Kevin

Nathan Carver

Aug 27, 2013, 11:45:08 AM8/27/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

I think you are right that the scroll view causes some confusion. I have not seen an implementation like this. I would conjecture that most ad builders assume that the MRAID/ORMMA container is reserved just for ad content and nothing else. And that it is in a fixed position.

Does your container include additional content, or is it dedicated to ad creative but simply included with scrolling content?

Thanks,
-Nathan

Kevin

Aug 27, 2013, 12:07:13 PM8/27/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

I meant when the ad is in a scroll view inline with the content. In this case the scroll view is not reserved to the ad view, but contains also publisher content. I assume this configuration is most likely to happen.

The confusion here for me is what exactly is the position for an MRAID ad view, the spec MRAID defines it as offset from top left corner of the getMaxSize area, which is most of time the whole space on the screen available for the app. But, if an ad view is below the fold (because it is inserted in a scrollview), or offscreen, what's its position ?

Nathan Carver

Aug 27, 2013, 12:24:18 PM8/27/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

It is unusual to see an MRAID container that is not fixed, but not forbidden.

The purpose of current/default position is primarily to understand how to manage resize.
They let the ad designer know if they should try to expand up/down/left/right so that the creative stays on the screen...and to know how their ad might behave after closing a resized ad.

If the ad is in "default" state, then these methods return the same values.

If the ad is in "resized" or "expanded" state, then the currentPosition values will differ from the defaultPosition.

Given that the defaultPosition values are where the container is relative to the screen area of getMax size, the if your screen is 500px high and you allow the container to scroll off the bottom, the y-value of defaultPosition could be 600px for example. (You would also want to set the value for isViewable to false.)

This does mean that the defaultPosition changes when the container is in a scrollview and does not change when it is in a fixed placement. But I think that makes sense.

You shouldn't have to worry about currentPosition having off-screen values because the only time currentPosition is different from defaultPosition is in non-default states. And these states would always be onscreen.

Thanks,
-Nathan

Kevin

Aug 27, 2013, 12:42:06 PM8/27/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com
So it means that offscreen values could be negative ones ? Since in a horizontal or vertical scrolling configuration, the ad container could be offscreen above the scroll view viewport (vertical), or on the left (horizontal).

thank you for your help!

Nathan Carver

Aug 27, 2013, 12:48:19 PM8/27/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

Yes, I would agree with that. The values could be negative.

Thanks,
-Nathan

Kevin Wenner

Aug 27, 2013, 1:04:15 PM8/27/13
to ormma-di...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, this seems complex, but it is coherent
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ORMMA-discussion" group.