Method missing when Rufus.parse_time_string is called with Rufus-scheduler 3.0.2.

Maher Hawash

Nov 15, 2013, 6:53:35 PM11/15/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

It looks like there is a compatibility issue between ruote and rufus-scheduler.

* In the ruote.gemspec file, the following dependency exists:   s.add_runtime_dependency 'rufus-scheduler', '>= 2.0.16'
* I had rufus-scheduler (3.0.2) installed, which complies with the above requirements,

* However, in lib/ruote/util/time.rb#self.s_to_at(s), Rufus.parse_time_string(s) is called,
but rufus-scheduler(3.0.2) does not define it.  It looks like it moved to Rufus::Scheduler class.

Maher Hawash

John Mettraux

Nov 15, 2013, 6:56:23 PM11/15/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Hello Maher,

welcome to the ruote mailing list.

What version of ruote are you using ?

Best regards,

--
John Mettraux - http://lambda.io/jmettraux

Maher Hawash

Nov 15, 2013, 6:57:50 PM11/15/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Thanks; I am using ruote (2.3.0.2).

Regards,
Maher

John Mettraux

Nov 15, 2013, 7:05:48 PM11/15/13

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 03:57:50PM -0800, Maher Hawash wrote:

> Thanks; I am using ruote (2.3.0.2).

Give me one or two days. I'll fix that.

Maher Hawash

Nov 15, 2013, 7:06:34 PM11/15/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Ok, great, thanks for your help.

--
Maher Hawash
Sent with Sparrow

Yiping Zhang

Nov 15, 2013, 7:09:36 PM11/15/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
I just hit this very same issue yesterday myself while trying to use wait or _sleep in a repeat loop.

My work around is to make sure rufus-scheduler-2.0.24 gem is installed before installing route 2.3.0.2 gem.

Regards,

ypz

Maher Hawash

Nov 15, 2013, 7:11:47 PM11/15/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yiping,

I did something similar where I added the version number to rufus-scheduler in my Gemfile.  This should work for the moment, and I’ll update once John has the fix.

Regards,
Maher

--
Maher Hawash
Sent with Sparrow

John Mettraux

Nov 16, 2013, 4:00:26 PM11/16/13

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 04:09:36PM -0800, Yiping Zhang wrote:

> I just hit this very same issue yesterday myself while trying to use wait
> or _sleep in a repeat loop.
>
> My work around is to make sure rufus-scheduler-2.0.24 gem is installed
> before installing route 2.3.0.2 gem.

Hello Maher,

Yiping's solution is the best, make sure you run the old rufus-scheduler when
using ruote 2.3.0.2.

If it becomes a problem (ie if there is a third complaint), I'll release a
2.3.0.3 or 2.3.1. I'm reluctant to do it right now because of the "scaling
down", I don't want to give the impression that this project is active, when
it's barely maintained.

Ravi Gadad

Nov 19, 2013, 5:55:46 PM11/19/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I appreciate you not wanting to give the impression that you're actively developing Ruote, but this specific issue (an incompatible dependency in the gemspec) would be a small fix that would be greatly appreciated - those of us who have gems with ruote as a dependency have no easy way of bypassing this issue (since the gemspec dependency tree is not built correctly, and even explicitly specifying rufus-scheduler at a lower version as a dependency doesn't work).

So I guess I'm saying - here's your third complaint. :)  The only other option we have (since you can't specify a github ref in a gemspec like you can in a Gemfile) is to fork the project and release our own gem, which we'd prefer not to do if you'd be willing to just release this quick fix... please?

--
Warm Regards,
Ravi Gadad

John Mettraux

Nov 19, 2013, 6:04:18 PM11/19/13

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 02:55:46PM -0800, Ravi Gadad wrote:

> (...)
>
> So I guess I'm saying - here's your third complaint. :) The only other
> option we have (since you can't specify a github ref in a gemspec like you
> can in a Gemfile) is to fork the project and release our own gem, which
> we'd prefer not to do if you'd be willing to just release this quick fix...
> please?

Hello Ravi,

OK, give me one or two days.

Kind regards,

Ravi Gadad

Nov 19, 2013, 6:25:49 PM11/19/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, John!

John Mettraux

Nov 20, 2013, 3:42:51 PM11/20/13

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 03:25:49PM -0800, Ravi Gadad wrote:

> Thank you, John!

Hello Ravi,

I pushed 2.3.0.3 out: https://rubygems.org/gems/ruote

Please tell me if there is anything wrong.

Kind regards,

John