Trying to get running DMX interface for Raspberry pi with usb (FT245RL)

Daniel Neuwirth

Jun 17, 2017, 6:53:04 PM6/17/17
to open-lighting
Hello  fellow strugglers,

im trying to get this card to run :
Hardware:

DMX interface for Raspberry pi with usb (FT245RL) http://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/raspberry-pi?product_id=154

Raspberry 3b

=>rpi_dmx_usb_pro.zip
extracted these, then copied it to a freshly flashed "jessie"sd card´s boot partition.
Somewhere here all goes wrong. the rpi 3b´s led just flashes constantly and doesnt boot anymore/ gets inaccessible from ssh.
Until i move back the backup of these files, it wont boot.

tried this with the "vanilla" jessie image as well as with a completely updated one (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade),

which should be the same as getting the boot/firmware files from the raspberry jessie git repository, from my unfortunatley limited understanding.

Is it here where the trouble starts? Do i need to get the boot files from the git repository?

please help me im completely lost here, after 3 days of trial and error.

i tried to find more information but wasnt very luckyon this, the most information that could be found is
for configuring the successfully installed device, but not the install itself.

If you got a quick hint for us, please throw it at us, please !
As always in the entertainment branch, time´s golden, and we need to find a solution until monday (yes 2 days from now :(  )

Greets from Salzburg
Daniel and Markus

Peter Stuge

Jun 17, 2017, 7:08:29 PM6/17/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Daniel Neuwirth wrote:
> im trying to get this card to run :
> Hardware:
> DMX interface for Raspberry pi with usb (FT245RL)
> http://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/raspberry-pi?product_id=154
>
> Raspberry 3b
>
> i got these files:
> https://github.com/vanvught/rpidmx512/blob/master/sdcard/rpi_dmx_usb_pro.zip?raw=true
> =>rpi_dmx_usb_pro.zip
> extracted these, then copied it to a freshly flashed "jessie"sd card´s boot
> partition.
> Somewhere here all goes wrong. the rpi 3b´s led just flashes constantly and
> doesnt boot anymore/ gets inaccessible from ssh.

The rpi_dmx_usb_pro firmware isn't a Linux system, and has no network stack.

> i tried to find more information but wasnt very luckyon this, the
> most information that could be found is for configuring the
> successfully installed device, but not the install itself.

It looks to me like you've already done the install correctly.

How do you want to use the device, exactly?

//Peter

Peter Stuge

Jun 17, 2017, 7:21:25 PM6/17/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Peter Stuge wrote:
> > Raspberry 3b
..
> > https://github.com/vanvught/rpidmx512/blob/master/sdcard/rpi_dmx_usb_pro.zip?raw=true
>
> The rpi_dmx_usb_pro firmware isn't a Linux system, and has no network stack.

And, I noticed that the firmware may not support Raspberry 3 at all.

> > i tried to find more information but wasnt very luckyon this, the
> > most information that could be found is for configuring the
> > successfully installed device, but not the install itself.
>
> It looks to me like you've already done the install correctly.
>
> How do you want to use the device, exactly?

So to be specific, it is intended to be used as a DMX *receiver*, ie.
a programmable fixture. Is that indeed what you are after?

//Peter

Richard Ash

Jun 18, 2017, 9:30:20 AM6/18/17
to Daniel Neuwirth, open-lighting
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 08:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
Daniel Neuwirth <apfel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> im trying to get this card to run :
> Hardware:
> DMX interface for Raspberry pi with usb (FT245RL)
> http://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/raspberry-pi?product_id=154
[...]
> please help me im completely lost here, after 3 days of trial and
> error.
>
> i tried to find more information but wasnt very luckyon this, the
> most information that could be found is
> for configuring the successfully installed device, but not the
> install itself.
>
> If you got a quick hint for us, please throw it at us, please !
> As always in the entertainment branch, time´s golden, and we need to
> find a solution until monday (yes 2 days from now :( )

I don't think that this hardware/software does what you want to do. It
certainly doesn't support any sort of networking, so I'm not at all
surprised that you can't SSH in.

What you have built, when you combine the PCB from bitwizard with your
Raspberry Pi Board and the supplied firmware, is a USB to DMX adaptor.
No other features. So you can
1. Send DMX data over USB from an external computer to the board, and
have it send out on the RS-485 line.
2. Receive DMX frames from the RS-485 line over USB on your
external computer.

The Raspberry Pi is "used up" in doing the USB to RS-485 conversion, is
isn't available to run any other software. By installing the supplied
firmware for the adaptor, you remove any existing operating system (e.g.
Raspbian) from the Pi. This is because Arjan's software is "bare metal"
code that runs directly on the hardware, not a application than runs on
top of Linux.

As far as the external computer is concerned, what is attached over USB
is a peripheral device which works just like the Entec DMX USB Pro:
https://www.enttec.com/uk/products/controls/dmx-usb/dmx-usb-pro/

In order to use what you have, you are going to need an computer to
plug it in to, and then suitable drivers and software on that computer.
I don't think the seller's pages make this terribly clear, but this is
what you learn if you dig through the linked web pages and the supplied
software.

If you need to communicate over Ethernet you have a few options:
1. A different Bitwizard board and set of bare metal software might do
what you want. I don't know anything about this solution.

2. Use a computer (either a second Raspberry Pi or some other computer
running Linux) to run OLA (Open Lighting Architecture). This will
communicate with Ethernet and receive data in. You can then connect a
USB lead from here to the hardware you already have. OLA will show an
Enttec USB DMX Pro as connected, and you can set it up as an output
device.

3. Use your Raspberry Pi running Linux to run OLA, and then some other
hardware supported by OLA to output DMX over RS-485. Other hardware
could include USB adaptors or a converter for the Pi's serial port
(provided that output-only with no RDM is enough for you).

Richard

Arjan van Vught

Jun 18, 2017, 11:24:18 AM6/18/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel and Markus,

This device is fully compatible with software suitable for ENTTEC USB Pro.

Please make sure that the OLA server is enabled for ENTTEC USB Pro.

Thanks, Arjan

Op 17 jun. 2017 om 17:33 heeft Daniel Neuwirth <apfel...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

Daniel and Markus

Arjan van Vught

Jun 18, 2017, 11:24:18 AM6/18/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Op 18-6-2017 om 15:30 schreef Richard Ash:

> If you need to communicate over Ethernet you have a few options:
> 1. A different Bitwizard board and set of bare metal software might do
> what you want. I don't know anything about this solution.

The same board can be used for ArtNet Ethernet DMX Node. That is DMX
output only (or used as a WS28xx Pixel controller, 4 Universes).
https://sites.google.com/site/rpidmx512/raspberry-pi-art-net-dmx-out

Thanks, Arjan

Arjan van Vught

Jun 18, 2017, 11:24:18 AM6/18/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
The firmware is supported on all Raspberry Pi models.
> --
> The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting (irc.freenode.org)

Arjan van Vught

Jun 18, 2017, 11:24:18 AM6/18/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Op 18-6-2017 om 1:15 schreef Peter Stuge:
> Peter Stuge wrote:
>
>> It looks to me like you've already done the install correctly.
>>
>> How do you want to use the device, exactly?
> So to be specific, it is intended to be used as a DMX *receiver*, ie.
> a programmable fixture. Is that indeed what you are after?

It is intended to be used as an Enttec USB Pro compatible device. There
are 4 OLA modes:

1. DMX In
2. DMX Out
3. RDM (bi-directional)
4. RDM Sniffer
(https://docs.openlighting.org/ola/man/man1/rdmpro_sniffer.1.html)

Thanks, Arjan
www.raspberrypi-dmx.org

Daniel Neuwirth

Jun 20, 2017, 7:23:10 PM6/20/17
to open-lighting

Am Sonntag, 18. Juni 2017 17:24:18 UTC+2 schrieb Arjan van Vught:
Hi Daniel and Markus,

This device is fully compatible with software suitable for ENTTEC USB Pro.

Please make sure that the OLA server is enabled for ENTTEC USB Pro.

Thanks, Arjan

Thank you Arjan for your fast reply

How to enable the ola server for that?

In Plugins i only found Enttec Open DMX plugin.

for the dmx pi
right?

+txt file name
rdm_device.txt
manufacturer_name=ENTTEC Pty Ltd
#manufacturer_id=454Eh
#device_label==ENTTEC USB Pro
+txt file
params.txt
#dmxusbpro_break_time=
#dmxusbpro_mab_time=
#dmxusbpro_refresh_rate=20
widget_mode=0
#
power on the other pi with ola,
attach usb to dmx pi
ssh into ola pi i check logs
 tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep olad

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep olad
Jun 20 22:38:19 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:38:39 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:38:39 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:38:59 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:38:59 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:39:19 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:39:19 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:39:39 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:39:39 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:39:59 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 20 22:39:59 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0

The DMX pi green light blinks
all Jumpers off , tried several combinations on this

thank you very much for your help
params.txt
rdm_device.txt
filesystem dmx.PNG

Daniel Neuwirth

Jun 20, 2017, 7:26:02 PM6/20/17
to open-lighting
Hey Peter,

No we wanted to use it  as  ENTTEC USB Pro device right now

Also Thanks for your engagement, too !

Johan Nilsson

Jun 21, 2017, 2:13:46 AM6/21/17
to open-lighting
Correct me if I am wrong but you need two Raspberry Pi's if you want to use the Arjan/Bitwizard DMX interface as an ENTTEC USB Pro device over USB.

One Raspberry Pi (Zero for instance) with attached DMX interface, running Arjans bare metal firmware --> USB cable --> Another Raspberry Pi running Raspbian with OLA installed.

Daniel Neuwirth

Jun 21, 2017, 3:06:41 AM6/21/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
yes , this is the Setup we have right now.
1 dmx rpi and one ola rpi.
I Put all the steps i went through in a Mail yesterday, but it doesnt show up yet, needs approval first.

--
The Open Lighting Project: open-l...@googlegroups.com, #openlighting (irc.freenode.org)

Arjan van Vught

Jun 21, 2017, 11:30:31 AM6/21/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel ,

Please do me a favor; add a monitor to the Raspberry Pi running the http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/raspberry-pi-rdm-controller.
You should see similar to -> http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/raspberry-pi-rdm-controller/external-monitor
Start the OLA server (-l 3) , send me some screen captures with the OLA server output.

The widget starts per default in RDM mode. Therefore there is no need to have any configuration files.

Thanks, Arjan

Daniel Neuwirth

Jun 22, 2017, 5:18:40 AM6/22/17
to open-lighting

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2017 17:30:31 UTC+2 schrieb Arjan van Vught:
Hi Daniel ,

Please do me a favor; add a monitor to the Raspberry Pi running the http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/raspberry-pi-rdm-controller.
You should see similar to -> http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/raspberry-pi-rdm-controller/external-monitor
Start the OLA server (-l 3) , send me some screen captures with the OLA server output.

The widget starts per default in RDM mode. Therefore there is no need to have any configuration files.

Thanks, Arjan

Hey Arjan,

no HDMI output on the DMX RPi, just blinking device. i attached the image i assembled from the files in your zip and the other files from the git rep.
im getting desperate and feel stupid cause it seems i cant follow simple instructions. where do the things go wrong?  im sorry this takes so long.

yours,
daniel and markus.

the video of the blinking device.

H.7z

Division Pixel

Jun 22, 2017, 5:40:14 AM6/22/17
to open-lighting
I bought this interface at Bitwizard Shop. I plug this card on my raspiberry pi (model 2) and follow this tutorial to install ola 10.3 : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/open-lighting/uURIBDSX_6c
Now, i can use the DMX ports in the card with ola, it works !

Daniel Neuwirth

Jun 22, 2017, 5:49:51 AM6/22/17
to open-lighting
ok, now after discovering the line in config.txt
# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1
and uncommenting i get hdmi output.

and from the ola RPi

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep olad
Jun 22 09:34:20 raspberrypi olad: plugins/stageprofi/StageProfiWidget.cpp:125: No response from StageProfiWidget
Jun 22 09:34:20 raspberrypi olad: plugins/stageprofi/StageProfiPlugin.cpp:147: StageProfi device /dev/ttyUSB0 was removed
Jun 22 09:34:20 raspberrypi olad: common/io/Serial.cpp:234: Released /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:215: Found potential USB Serial device at /dev/ttyUSB0
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: common/io/Serial.cpp:188: Acquired /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:384: trying stage 0 for 0x73a00a08
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/UsbProWidgetDetector.cpp:533: Detected USB Device: ESTA Id: 0x7ff0 (AvV), device Id: 0x0001 (Raspberry Pi DMX USB Pro), serial: 0xeb753de9, f/w version: 2.4
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:314: Defaulting to a Usb Pro device
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: olad/plugin_api/DeviceManager.cpp:105: Installed device: AvV - Raspberry Pi DMX USB Pro:5-1517543149

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2017 17:30:31 UTC+2 schrieb Arjan van Vught:
hdmi .jpg

Arjan van Vught

Jun 22, 2017, 11:03:20 AM6/22/17
to open-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/UsbProWidgetDetector.cpp:533: Detected USB Device: ESTA Id: 0x7ff0 (AvV), device Id: 0x0001 (Raspberry Pi DMX USB Pro), serial: 0xeb753de9, f/w version: 2.4
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: plugins/usbpro/WidgetDetectorThread.cpp:314: Defaulting to a Usb Pro device
Jun 22 09:34:23 raspberrypi olad: olad/plugin_api/DeviceManager.cpp:105: Installed device: AvV - Raspberry Pi DMX USB Pro:5-1517543149

This is looking good. The OLAD server recognizes the Raspberry Pi as an Usb Pro device.

Thanks, Arjan