Is it bug?

Mohammad Islam

Jun 4, 2018, 9:41:10 AM6/4/18
to ogs-users
Hi All,
To obtain the initial state condition for stress, the SUB_DOMAIN is used as follows. However, when I plot them using VisIt, it looks like  STRESS_ZZ  swapped with STRESS_YY.

#INITIAL_CONDITION
 $PCS_TYPE
  DEFORMATION
 $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  STRESS_XX
 $GEO_TYPE
  SUB_DOMAIN
   3
   0   -6005191.5+7798.95*z
   1   -6005191.5+7798.95*z
   2   -6005191.5+7798.95*z
#INITIAL_CONDITION
 $PCS_TYPE
  DEFORMATION
 $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  STRESS_YY
 $GEO_TYPE
  SUB_DOMAIN
   3
   0   -6005191.5+7798.95*z
   1   -6005191.5+7798.95*z
   2   -6005191.5+7798.95*z
#INITIAL_CONDITION
 $PCS_TYPE
  DEFORMATION
 $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  STRESS_ZZ
 $GEO_TYPE
  SUB_DOMAIN
   3
   0   -20017305+25996.5*z
   1   -20017305+25996.5*z
   2    -20017305+25996.5*z

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad
KETZIN_DEFORMATION1.vtu

Wenqing Wang

Jun 6, 2018, 5:07:59 AM6/6/18
to ogs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad,

Just debugged the source code with your input, and found there is no bug
for this sort of input. The data are distinguished by the name, e.g.
STRESS_XX, STRESS_YY, STRESS_ZZ, etc by the following piece of code in ogs5
    for (j = 0; j < (long)ic_vector.size(); j++)
    {
        m_ic = ic_vector[j];
        if (m_ic->getProcessPrimaryVariable() == FiniteElement::STRESS_XX)
            stress_ic[0] = m_ic;
        if (m_ic->getProcessPrimaryVariable() == FiniteElement::STRESS_YY)
            stress_ic[1] = m_ic;
        if (m_ic->getProcessPrimaryVariable() == FiniteElement::STRESS_ZZ)
            stress_ic[2] = m_ic;
        if (m_ic->getProcessPrimaryVariable() == FiniteElement::STRESS_XY)
            stress_ic[3] = m_ic;
        if (m_ic->getProcessPrimaryVariable() == FiniteElement::STRESS_XZ)
            stress_ic[4] = m_ic;
        if (m_ic->getProcessPrimaryVariable() == FiniteElement::STRESS_YZ)
            stress_ic[5] = m_ic;
    }
Best regards,

Wenqing

Mohammad Islam

Jun 6, 2018, 8:55:24 AM6/6/18
to ogs-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Wenqing,
To understand the initial state condition, I used following two references:

In the ViSit plot, for the 3D case,  STRESS_XX, STRESS_YY &  STRESS_ZZ  are matching with the initial condition input file. However, the initial state conditions for the  2D(XZ Plane) are not matching. In this regard,  I have attached ViSit plot files and initial condition file.

---------------

In the *.ic file, for STRESS_YY

#INITIAL_CONDITION
 $PCS_TYPE
  DEFORMATION
 $PRIMARY_VARIABLE
  STRESS_YY
 $GEO_TYPE
  SUB_DOMAIN
   3
   0   -13243500+26487*y
   1   -13243500+26487*y
   2   -13243500+26487*y

It looks like for the  2D(XZ Plane) case,  STRESS_ZZ  swapped with STRESS_YY.

Regards,
Mohammad

Dr. Mohammad Nurul Islam

ORISE Postdoctoral Researcher

The National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL)

US Department of Energy (DoE)

NETL-PGH, 84/309

Email: Mohamma...@netl.doe.gov

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1798-1162

visit-yy0000.jpeg
visit-zz0000.jpeg
thm-decov.ic
visit-xx0000.jpeg

Wenqing Wang

Jun 7, 2018, 3:51:51 AM6/7/18
to ogs-...@googlegroups.com
For 2D, whatever XY or XZ plane with coordinates in input, it is always converted into XY system for computation and for output.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ogs-users" group.

Mohammad Islam

Jun 7, 2018, 8:21:10 AM6/7/18
to ogs-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Wenqing,