Open Day - 1 June

Skip to the first unread message

Kate Bolin

5 May 2013, 09:32:1805/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The annual Hackspace Open Day will be Saturday, 1 June.

This is when we open up the space to the public, showing off all the awesome things we've done, and really push for people to get to the space, find out what it's about, and really enjoy it.

It will run from 11am-5pm, and if you want to show anything off - from projects to tools to workshops to whatever - this is your chance.

Tell your friends, tell your acquaintances, tell your enemies, and get them to the space.

There will be flyers for the Open Day, and people need to stick them up wherever possible - shops, cafés, bars, pubs, whatever.  Let people know.  Get them out there.

After the Open Day, there's also the annual Hackspace Members' Party.  Members and guests just chill out at the space, listening to music, enjoying booze, playing ridiculous games, and just having a great time.  I hope everyone attends this as well.

So do you have anything you wanna bring to the Open Day?  Anything you want to run? Anything you want to show off?  This is the thread for that.

--
Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Kai Pays

5 May 2013, 09:40:3805/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Cool,
I've been spreading the word at Nottingham trent uni recently and I know students and lecturers have been down, so I'll grab some fliers and post them up all over the place :-)

Hayley.Anne.

5 May 2013, 16:54:4905/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
After party? fun games? as long as nothing bad family wise happens I'm there

Pat McDonald

5 May 2013, 17:10:3405/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
First Saturday of the month is usually Lockpicking workshop? Might want to reschedule it?

Kate Bolin

5 May 2013, 17:26:1305/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I think the lockpicking workshop will go wonderfully with the open day.  Get a bunch of people in the door, point them towards the locks, collect their cash, everyone wins.

Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

garethhowell

6 May 2013, 04:08:3506/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Quite a few people at work I spoke with this weekend are interested in Hackspace, so I'll make sure to tell them about this. Is there a flyer yet?

Jake Howe

6 May 2013, 04:50:4206/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Kate, do you want me to just update the previous open day flyer with the new dates?

Jake

Sent from my tablet

Kate Bolin

7 May 2013, 05:29:4007/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
That would be lovely, Jake, thank you.

I'll also make up one today so we have variety, just in case people wanna go nuts.

(Go nuts, people.  Go on.)

If I print them off tomorrow, can I get volunteers for plastering them in shops around town?  Hobby stores, nerd stores, hipster venues, that sort of thing.

Are there cubbyholes or something for the other residents of the building? Because we could let them know as well.  Or just flyer around the hallways.

And the building across the street too - if those guys are gonna look at me from their third-floor gym whenever I'm doing something in the workshop, then they should find out about the space.

Michael Erskine

7 May 2013, 05:49:0907/05/2013
to nottinghack
wiki page created...

http://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/Open_day_2013

To keep it public-facing, use the discussion page appropriately or
keep discussion here.

Kate Bolin

7 May 2013, 06:40:1407/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Damn you're clever.  I keep forgetting about the wiki.

The wiki's been updated with what I can fill in.

garethhowell

7 May 2013, 13:58:0807/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I can get some Zoetrope kits together, and can maybe show off some uke building too. I'll add them to the wiki

Chunky

8 May 2013, 05:56:2408/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I've been buidling some junk-based robots, so I'll have a couple of those and help people make them.
Could also be good with the robot bug kits from Kitronik  - Rob?...

As always I can bring along pedal powered stuff, if thats fun...

Matt

Martin Raynsford

8 May 2013, 10:15:3908/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I'll come along too,
I've got marble machines, useless machines and Iron man arcs, I'll bring them all along and help people make them throughout the day as well as bring my Donkey Kong in progress.

Rob Haywood

8 May 2013, 15:59:5408/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Meant to ask them today about assembling some so I could bring them, Kate did mention it to me yesterday.  I'm fairly sure it will be fine though.

Kate Bolin

9 May 2013, 05:29:2509/05/2013
to notti...@googlegroups.com
And baby, yes?

(you really don't have to bring the baby.  I just like small babies.)

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Martin Raynsford <msray...@googlemail.com> wrote:
I'll come along too,
I've got marble machines, useless machines and Iron man arcs, I'll bring them all along and help people make them throughout the day as well as bring my Donkey Kong in progress.

Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Martin Raynsford

9 May 2013, 18:03:1609/05/2013
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
We're considering bringing baby just discussing details. Like usual it'll probably mean bringing two cars up to Nottingham but c'est la vie.