stuck with high sys usage when sending 0 sized DefaultFileRegion

Reynold Xin

Oct 3, 2014, 2:15:27 AM10/3/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
I was testing Spark's new Netty network module with a new workload and suddenly the whole system stopped. Nothing was being transferred and sys usage was ~ 90%. Experimentally, I found that if I skip 0-sized blocks (basically sending a DefaultFileRegion with region length 0), this would happen.

I didn't have time to nail this down, but I thought I'd report this here so others can find it. And maybe someone else can pinpoint the problem. It is either in Netty, or in the JVM, or in the kernel, or in Xen ...

This is what perf shows:

70.21% java [kernel.kallsyms] [k] pvclock_clocksource_read

--- pvclock_clocksource_read

|--99.68%-- xen_clocksource_get_cycles
| |
| |--85.42%-- ktime_get_ts
| | |
| | |--67.81%-- posix_ktime_get_ts
| | | SyS_clock_gettime
| | | system_call_fastpath
| | | |
| | | |--100.00%-- 0x7fffac1fe7d2
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | --0.00%-- [...]

Reynold Xin

Oct 3, 2014, 2:15:51 AM10/3/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I meant if I skip 0-sized blocks, this wouldn't have happened.

Reynold Xin

Oct 3, 2014, 2:18:46 AM10/3/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
More information about the OS/JDK:

root@ip-10-0-4-108 ~]$ uname -r

3.10.53-56.140.amzn1.x86_64

root@ip-10-0-4-108 ~]$ java -version

java version "1.7.0_65"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (amzn-2.5.1.2.44.amzn1-x86_64 u65-b17)

Norman Maurer

Oct 3, 2014, 2:48:40 AM10/3/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
You are using the native transport?
--

---

Reynold Xin

Oct 3, 2014, 3:01:22 AM10/3/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
This is epoll I'm using.

--

---

Norman Maurer

Oct 3, 2014, 4:53:13 AM10/3/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a bug.... Can you open an issue please?

Reynold Xin

Oct 3, 2014, 4:06:27 PM10/3/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com

Norman Maurer