Show list of all open workspace

Patricio Carranza

May 12, 2021, 8:10:45 AM5/12/21
to MyLifeOrganized
hi All,

I found pretty helpful to have several workspaces opened where on each of them I have a parent task zoom in.

I'm getting more workspaces opened that the number of workspace than can be visible, so I end up scrolling horizontally with the arrows in the workspace tab, is there a way to get a list of the opened workspaces tabs similar to a web browser (like Chrome)?

I think it would be really helpful.

Patricio.

Patricio Carranza

May 12, 2021, 4:17:00 PM5/12/21
to MyLifeOrganized
one edit: by "list" I mean a drop-down list, so you click it a see a list of all the opened workspaces, that way you don't have to scroll horizontally to select/set the focus on the workspace you want to go...

Stéph

May 13, 2021, 3:19:50 AM5/13/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I don't know of a way to get a list of workspaces, so I think this might be a good feature request. Even better if the list was filterable by typing part of the workspace name.

One key combination which might work better for you than using the mouse: As with browsers and tabbed apps like MS Excel, you can use Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown to scroll quickly through your list of workspace tabs. The only problem is that it doesn't make the names of the workspaces visible anywhere.

Stéphane

Patricio Carranza

May 14, 2021, 5:07:08 AM5/14/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Totally agree with your recommendation Stéphane. Hey question, how do I submit an enhancement/feature request? Is just this thread or there is a different process / channel?

May 16, 2021, 9:27:55 AM5/16/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Yeah ditto.  I routinely have EXACTLY as many tabs as will fit and still kinda see the tab names.   Iow, I'm constrained.
A little hamburger menu that drops open with all the tab names (clickable) would be great.    A field to filter-as-you-type the tab names list would be excellent.

Dwight Arthur

May 16, 2021, 3:14:15 PM5/16/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar problem. Then I came up with icons that clearly indicated each workspace and attached them to the relevant views, then locked and pinned the workspaces, giving me a large but manageable collection of icons that I can take in at a glance.
-Dwight
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/86e344fc-87b5-428d-a992-6aef972d4290n%40googlegroups.com.

imajeff

May 16, 2021, 7:04:32 PM5/16/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I bet they don't even pay you for all this work you do, but thank you for sharing it with us.

I bought MyLifeOrganized before 2.0, I guess it didn't even have a version number. Checking back the past few years I was shocked that they have improved absolutely nothing that would benefit me. I bought 5.0 because I thought hey it would have all the things fixed that make it too slow to be reasonable, but it is all the same problems still. I am sad every time I hear good suggestions because I know they will be completely ignored even 10 years later. I am very disappointed in that aspect, even though the original idea has yet to be even attempted by any capable competitor.

The best way they could have used their initial million or whatever they got from us making them popular could have been to integrate an API and then continue building their ideas on top of that. By API I mean giving my own applications ability to navigate and manipulate the tree of tasks and properties. Then most every idea I've heard could have been solved probably not by them but by people who want the feature enough. My idea was that you could add hooks and script things like populating a new task or set of tasks based on my own preferences.

Patricio Carranza

May 17, 2021, 4:43:53 AM5/17/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Exactly. I think in addition to the “filter as you type” feature it would be really important that the list of names of opened workspaces is shown in the order they show opened from left to right in the tab (instead of listed alphabetically by ws name).

May 17, 2021, 4:43:53 AM5/17/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I haven’t been a MLO app user for such a long time as you, but it didn’t take me much time to start suspecting what you are confirming here. It seems the frequency with which new MLO versions/upgrades are released is super low. I started considering to move to another app, ideally a bit more visual. All that said, I have to admit I haven’t found a perfect alternative app yet.

May 17, 2021, 6:08:10 AM5/17/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I guess the intention was to make the MLO file open to other apps by structuring it with xml. I used to think about learning xml so that I could write my own tools for working with the MLO data - no time for that, though.

The rate and direction of development does cause a few frustrations (but then again, so do companies with huge funds and development resources, like Microsoft), but what MLO does well, it does really well. There are competitors out there, but they all have limitations and none provide the level of customisation of the outline, tags and metadata or the filter and search functions quite as well. With those functions, I've been able to compensate for many other limitations. Many of the competitors use a crippling subscription model, too.

Stéph

May 17, 2021, 6:15:34 AM5/17/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Regarding your query on how to submit feature requests, Patricio, I've posted a link to this conversation on the Beta Testers' forum, to promote it.

Marvin

May 17, 2021, 8:30:54 AM5/17/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Just for the record, I suggested a feature end of March and now beginning of May I'm getting asked to test out it's implementation in the beta. I don't get everything I wish for, as some of my wishes are either niche or in opposition to other ideas. But figured I would share that development is still active.

Jeff Smith

May 17, 2021, 10:03:28 AM5/17/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Seph I like that you want to put it into perspective using the huge companies because I can point out that all of them do have API and languages.
I'm talking things like the fact you can write a .NET application that uses all the internal API possible so that I can make a Microsoft OS do what I really needed it to do.
In other words, get with the norm, MLO! This is commonly expected but being ignored at least a decade too long! I don't care about the way certain things were implemented
on the last decade of major releases because it was only done either the way only they wanted, or so that it takes too long to manually edit every property of every task
to get to what I needed just for that day, but the next day means starting all over again with tediously editing every task's properties.

Also important now to point out that only accessing the data as xml is not the same as accessing the API, the basic functions of the application that are also needed.

--
 "It is not what I believe that will make-or-break; It is what I'm doing about it." --Jefferson Smith

Jeff Smith

May 17, 2021, 10:09:44 AM5/17/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Marvin I hope I can find out what that feature was, maybe by searching for your posts. Most of the requests are not being done because changing one thing changes how others can use it but
they could have been implemented easily by a scripting API for that person and anyone who also wanted the same behavior.

Also people are confused where to send their feature request because often there is no response by support email or posting here but also it still says to use another service
where people vote on requests, but we don't see any sign whether those are being looked at anymore.

Marvin

May 17, 2021, 12:13:07 PM5/17/21
to MyLifeOrganized
The 'feature' was a progression of improving the import/export. Recently tabs were saved as part of the back up. I had asked for keyboard shortcuts as well, I forgot how many I had, and sounds like that has been just added.

Dwight Arthur

May 17, 2021, 11:33:37 PM5/17/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Steph, I agree that the ability to read an MLO database as an XML structure would open the door for a lot of extended functionality but I believe an API would be better, because of a greater chance of leveraging the strengths of MLO.

I believe that the greatest strength of MLO is the ability to create and save a view with advanced filters and formats; with a little work you can create a view to answer any question you could have about your tasks. I would like to see API calls to insert or modify a task, and I would also like to be able to create a view, and whenever the first task in the view changes, to have MLO pass information about the task that's now first in the view to an app I specify. For example, I might create a view that shows overdue and nearly due tasks at normal importance, with the view normally empty. When a task approaches its due date it would appear on the view, which would get it passed to my app, which would use the API to increase the importance,  which would cause it to drop off of the nearly-due view and also to appear on my view of the most important tasks. This kind of thing is probably too complex for most users; but the point is that you would be able to use the ultra-powerful MLO advanced filter specification to select tasks that need a modification, then use the API to modify the tasks accordingly.

Addressing the comments about MLO development cycles, I find MLO to be a very powerful tool that lets me dump all sorts of tasks into it, and develop very intelligent views that show me what I should be working on at the current time and day and at my current location. I have made many suggestions over the years and many of them have been implemented and many have not. I believe that the developers do a reasonable and fair job of accepting the suggestions that add value to lots of users and ignoring the suggestions that would mostly benefit only me.

Stéph

May 18, 2021, 1:55:46 AM5/18/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I do agree that an API would have great benefits - and that it would benefit MLO by making sure their app stays relevant, by being able to linking it to other data, time trackers, note taking apps, etc. I feel imajeff's pain regarding the need to manually set so many properties - User-selected automation of task properties one of my (overly-repeated) requests that the development team have decided against prioritising, sadly.

Robert F

May 18, 2021, 11:54:04 AM5/18/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Reply to Imajeff

My experience is similar in that MLO product may not evolve in the way other apps do or the specific features I'd like to see implemented.

However, my experience is different from yours in that I find Andrey one of the few
teams/product that seriously engages users for suggestion and feature implementation, consistently releases rock solid code, integrates near perfectly cross platform, and has a reasonable pricing model that doesn't suck users into a service/fee model. Also, the product is so customizable that most issues can have a functional solution. There is integrity, consistency and reliability in this team and product. These attributes supercede waiting for a few product features that I may, or may not,, see in the product.

An API might be nice to leverage others people's work, creativity, and provide unique solutions. But whether that is a viable business path or aligns with MLO vision is a different discussion.

Just wanted to post a counter data point. I absolutely respect and support MLO and team and also have since very early versions on three platforms.

Jeff Smith

May 18, 2021, 4:28:49 PM5/18/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Apparently your experience is not different as you think, kpremote. You seem to be describing how it was back then. I never complained until recently, and realizing Andre was no longer a part of these discussions. Back then, it was just rock solid (for example the way to determine priority of tasks does not change). Now it is a question why some get hanging problems possibly because of new limits in how many tasks we can have, but others have no problem still.

I certainly did think it would still be going the same the past few years as it was back then, but without discussions with Andre, I think that made a huge difference. This is why I was shocked when I came back after a decade. Something changed after I left. I was one who told him it would be fine to not continue the Linux implementation, even though it seemed like a good start, because I wanted him to focus on the Windows version to get a lot of the standard needs taken care of. One of those is ever changing Windows APIs we need to keep up with. Another thing I assumed would be speeding up the automation of my daily task entries and how to move them from inbox to folders I commonly would need to move them to. Now instead we've got problems like not being able to see things large enough just because it is not made for current standard resolution of monitors.

I just hope you are not saying that all these problems I;ve mentioned are the new MLO's vision. That would be obviously bad. Instead the vision should still be rock solid, no worry about how many tasks you can have, and avoid bloating just because someone needs another feature that almost could have been done with previous overlapping features.

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 4:04:32 PM UTC-7 imajeff wrote:
[...]

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

May 19, 2021, 4:48:15 AM5/19/21
to MyLifeOrganized
>I don't know of a way to get a list of workspaces, so I think this might be a good feature request. Even better if the list was filterable by typing part of the workspace name.
I like the idea! It will be added to list for implementation.

Thanks,
Andrey.

Michael Emerald, CFA

May 19, 2021, 6:56:06 AM5/19/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Certainly, your opinion is well worded.  I’ll add my own opinion, not to argue with you, but to offer a different opinion.  MLO is a mature product; as such, it shouldn’t have frequent updates.  It has tons more features than any todo list, and I’m challenged to think of something it doesn’t do…that fits within the realm of a To Do List.

I know what you mean though.  There’s another excellent software, Xpert-Timer, that TRULY hasn’t changed much in 10 years, despite 4 version numbers later.

Finally, have you had any great softwares that you wish HADN’T been upgraded?  So many windows products have lost features, for the sake of adding a “share” button, or a “like” button, or pictures of my friends…none of which are important to hard-core users.

Again, I’m not arguing against you, since I’ve had a similar opinion, only not with MLO.

Take Care,

Michael Emerald, CFA

Performance Business Design

Owner, Business Strategy Consultant

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 1:14:15 PM UTC-6 Dwight wrote:

I had a similar problem. Then I came up with icons that clearly indicated each workspace and attached them to the relevant views, then locked and pinned the workspaces, giving me a large but manageable collection of icons that I can take in at a glance.

Image removed by sender.

-Dwight

~WRD0000.jpg

Jeff Smith

May 19, 2021, 1:04:32 PM5/19/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael Emerald; I am usually misunderstood but you agree with me and others, I don't see a different opinion (unless you meant changes in MLO 5 possibly causing freez-ups were mature).

I'm also glad to see Andrey Tkachuck responded. It doesn't always have to be the creator responding. I like when Alyona replies too.
Adding more features is still a problem for every application because of bloating and potential bugs introduced (I learned over 40+ years experience) but that's why I emphasize API and scripting, something that def should be added early on even if not complete yet, because it allows for still doing a feature even if it was removed to streamline the app for everyone.